Special Chapter

Red Threads

 Point of view of ____?____

 

"Ugh." I tossed and turned in my bed, not wanting to get out of bed, even though I was pretty much awake.

Close your eyes, block out the light, and you'll fall right back to sleep. I was exhausted right down to the bones after staying up trying to come up with a new concept, and I definitely do not want to get up. I shut my eyes as tightly as I could, desperate to block out the rays of sunlight that creeped in through the blinds. I brought my forearm over my face to cover my eyes, but the glow only served to sober me up even more. I pulled my arm away from my face as I opened my eyes in annoyance. Time to wake up and face reality. Almost on cue, I got an angry call from the editor.

"Are you done with the new comic?"

"No, but—"

"I knew it! It's been a week, can't you just get it done?"

"I'm sorry, I'll try to finish it as soon as I can, I assure you."

"What's so hard about lifting a pen to draw!? All you so called cartoonists and the uncalled for pride in your work. You're all nameless employees under us! Don't be so cocky when you're earning a living all thanks to us!"

That does it.

"Mr editor."

"What—"

"I'll have you know, that we cartoonists want to present the best of our works. We will not allow half-assed cartoons to reach the magazines and be read. My pride? I threw that away and fed it to the dogs once I entered your company. The only bit of pride I have left is in my works. My cartoons. Looking down on me because I'm not a well-known cartoonist? That's high coming from a small magazine company whose magazines only reach roadside stalls."

"That's bullsh—"

"Yes, that's bull. So I'm quitting. I've had enough of your nonsense. Oh, and sincerely, you."

There, I've finally said it. It's like I dumped a load off my chest. "Now for breakfast." I cheerily got out of bed and headed to the kitchen. I opened the cupboard to stacks of cup noodles in assorted flavours. I've had the same breakfast for weeks and it seems like that for the next few weeks to come.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so rash.

I reached for the phone, meaning to apologise and beg. Between survival and pride, I'd take survival anyday, but it caught my eye yet again. The glow in the corner of my eye.

People might think it's awesome to be able to know who is your soulmate and who isn't, but I assure you, it isn't all fun and games. It doesn't actually show you who your soulmate is, nor leads you to her. Rather, it sits conveniently around your right pinky, as if taunting you for being alone.

I really want to find her. I want to have someone who will always be there for me, through all my ups and downs. At times like this, especially, I just want to have someone to hug and talk to. I want someone to love. Sure I've dated, but they never lasted long, because none of them was the one I've been painstakingly looking for.

Stupid red thread. Of what use are you if I can't find her?

Wait, actually, it could be of use. My lips curled into a smirk as I made a run for my desk, where I spend most of my time, basically. Looking at yesterday's outline, I clucked my tongue in mock disapproval and chucked it into the bin. I then grabbed a fresh sheet of paper and my trusty pen, letting it come alive in my hands. I had an idea.

How about a romance-fantasy comic strip about two people linked by a single red thread of fate?

"Ah right, I still have to find another company to work for." The thought burst my bubble instantly. I grabbed the copy of newspaper I have to look for any printing firms looking for cartoonists. Luck must be on my side, because I didn't even have to flip the newspapers open, before I already found what I want. The Daily Paper is seeking cartoonists! And they prefer romance or comedy!

"Finally, you're of use!" I addressed the inanimate object. No, not even an object, actually. "But I still expect you to lead me to her." I whistled as I happily got down to work.

20130620001142_0.jpg