Magical Last Day Of 2014

Red Threads

Seungyoon looked at the clock and sighed. 11pm. 2014 was nearing an end! And he very likely will have to spend it in the office. He looked at all the customers' requests of "a new advertisement for a new year" and shook his head. Couldn't you ask earlier!? Seungyoon complained inwardly.

"I'm done, finally!" Hana clapped her hands together. "Bye guys, Happy New Year!" She grabbed her bag and skipped out of the door, leaving only Seungyoon, Sera and Jinah in the office. The rest had already gone home, eager to countdown with their family and friends. Sera and Seungyoon, being the only two graphic designers, had exceptionally heavy workloads today. Jinah was left to do the administrative work. "Looks like we're all going to spend the last day of 2014 here in the office." Jinah sighed. "Anyone wants coffee?" Seungyoon and Sera both looked up, their faces showing their exhaustion. Jinah took that as them saying "Yes, please."

"You said we don't have much work." Sera looked at Seungyoon accusingly. "Usually." Seungyoon replied, slumping over his desk. "We were supposed to countdown to 2015 together." Seungyoon pouted, then side-eyed Jinah who was making coffee while humming a tune. A grin etched on his face. Sera arched an eyebrow. "By now, I know that face well. What are you thinking of?" Sera asked, making sure to keep her volume down. "I'm thinking of helping two fated pairs." Seungyoon replied innocently.

"Noona! Is this your usb?" Seungyoon held up a white usb. "It's not mine!" Jinah called out while stirring. "Hmm. That's strange! Very strange! Whose could it be?" Seungyoon scratched his head for effect. "Ah, could it be Mr Oh's?" Sera knew what Seungyoon was thinking. "Oh! If so, it must be really important, don't you think? All the trade secrets, company secrets and plans! What a dangerous item to leave behind!" Seungyoon turned ever so slightly to Jinah. "Noona, this should be returned back to him immediately!" "You don't even know for sure if it's his!" Jinah came out with the coffee. "It must be his! No one in our office complained of a missing usb!" Sera threw in. "Noona, we don't have cars!" Seungyoon showed her his best puppy eyed look. Jinah glanced at the clock. 11.15pm. "Drats." She muttered as she fumbled for her car keys. Sera giggled, a little amazed that she knew what Seungyoon was thinking of.

"What's in that usb?" Sera asked."I don't know." Seungyoon confessed. "I took it from Hana's desk."

11.30pm. Clicking of mouses, typing on keyboards, sips of coffee. No talking at all. Seungyoon glanced at the clock. Half an hour before the year would be over. He looked back at his computer screen. "We need a break too." Seungyoon got up from his seat. "Let's go." "Where?" Sera asked. "The mall." Seungyoon answered. "Leave the work for later! We can only countdown to 2015 once in our lives! Come on!"

The mall was crowded with people awaiting 2015. Seungyoon and Sera stood outside the mall. 15 minutes to 2015. Sera looked around at the people in the crowd. Many of them were couples, with their red threads bound together. She smiled, warmed at the thought, and looked down at her own red thread. She lifted her head to find Seungyoon looking at it too. "Oppa, what are your hopes for the new year?" Sera asked. "I want to be happy." Seungyoon said simply. He reached for Sera's hand, and held it up. "I think that's possible." He smiled. Sera blushed, but held on to his hand tightly. "In 2015, I wish all those bound by a single red thread to find their soulmate at the other end." Sera said, quietly. "I found you." Seungyoon said.

"6 years. For 6 years, I scoured the streets in search of my other half. The one I was meant to be with. No matter how hard I looked, I never found her. Or him. But then one day, you appeared suddenly. You came into my life. I didn't even have to look for you."

Seungyoon stared intently at Sera, who returned his gaze while smiling bashfully. "One minute!" The crowd chanted. Seungyoon decided to make the last minutes of 2014 the time of his life, to leave a brilliant legacy. "Sera-sshi. 2015 would be the first year in my life I don't have to find my other half anymore." Seungyoon took both of her hands in his.

"Since we both found each other, let's date." Seungyoon asked. Sera was surprised. "That's very sudden." Sera admitted. "10, 9, 8..." The crowd starting counting down. "But I guess that's a start." Sera beamed. "3, 2, 1! Happy new year!" Shouts and cheers came from the crowd. "Yes! I'll be your girlfriend!" Sera belatedly came to realise she forgot to answer Seungyoon's question clearly. "What!?" Seungyoon couldn't hear Sera over the noice the crowd made. Sera decided that trying to shout over the crowd wouldn't work. So she walked over and planted a kiss on Seungyoon's cheek.

"Please pass this to Mr Oh when he's back. He must be looking for it." Jinah instructed the receptionist. "Mr Oh? He's in his office." The receptionist answered. "Oh. Then I—" Jinah was cut off. "You can deliver it to him personally. If it's important, it shouldn't be passed around." The receptionist gestured to Mr Oh's office. "Oh, alright then." Jinah shuffled into the office.

"Mr Oh, I'm from The Daily Paper. You seem to have left this usb behind." Jinah put the usb down on the table. Mr Oh picked it up and examined it. "It's not mine." He laughed heartily. What!? Jinah sighed at her wasted trip. She looked at the clock. 11.50pm. She could have done her work quickly and went to countdown to 2015. "You seem to have made a wasted trip, coffee lady." Mr Oh smiled. "Coffee lady?" Jinah repeated. "You're the one who always brings coffee, aren't you?" Mr Oh asked. "I guess so." Jinah replied, surprised that she was recognised. "I don't know your name so I just referred to you as coffee lady." Mr Oh laughed. "My name is Han Jinah." Jinah introduced herself. "Jinah-sshi, I doubt you would get anywhere in eight minutes," Mr Oh noted, looking at his watch. "Why don't you sit down and let me get you some coffee?" Mr Oh got up. "Thank you." Jinah smiled and complied.

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, happy new year!" Faint noises could be heard in the office building, followed by people celebrating. "Happy new year, Mr Oh." Jinah smiled as she raised her mug. "Happy new year, Jinah-sshi." Mr Oh knocked glasses with her, as they drank to a new year.

As Seungyoon and Sera stood in the streets, holding hands, looking at each other and smiling, and as Mr Oh and Jinah chatted, 2014 came to an end. Two fated pairs were brought together. Their red threads glowed in the darkness of the night sky, as if symbolising the start of a blessed relationship that would overcome all odds and eventually blossom and bear fruit.

Kang-Seung-Yoon.jpg