Problem

Red Threads

Minho sighed. He was at a loss. Of course he can't just order a couple to break up. Firstly, the couple does not have to agree. Secondly, it was just all sorts of wrong. He didn't even know if he was the right one for Sera.

He remembered all his struggles. All his life, he has waited patiently (no, not really.) for the right one to appear. Indeed, she has appeared, but "Sigh." What else could he do?

Taking a swig of his coffee, Minho sat back down, pencil in his hand, letting his stories come to life in his comic. His pencil dances across the paper, as his thoughts waltzed to the fundamentals of drawing a comic:

In a short comic, there needs to be an introduction, a problem, a , and a resolution.

What about his life? Isn't life like that? If he faced a problem, he should work it out.

Other people might have taken the most obvious approach—to decide whether to get together with Sera or not. However, Minho was different. He was a comic artist.

And comic artists are creative.

He wanted to find out why all these things happened. He decided to look up on the myths of the red threads of fate. Myths have got to be partially true, right? If they weren't, how would they get passed on?

"The Red String of Fate, also referred to as the Red String of Marriage, and other variants, is an East Asian belief originating from Chinese legend."

"I guess that means I have to look into the Chinese legend." Minho shrugged.

"According to Chinese legend, the deity in charge of "the red thread" is believed to be Yuè Xià Lǎorén (月下老人), often abbreviated to Yuè Lǎo (月老), the old lunar matchmaker god, who is in charge of marriages."

Click.

"Yuelao is a god of marriage and love in Chinese mythology. He appears as an old man under the moon. He appears at night, and "unites with a silken cord all predestined couples, after which nothing can prevent their union."

"During the Tang Dynasty, there was a young man named Wei Gu (韋固 Wéi Gù). Once he was passing the city of Songcheng, where he saw an old man leaning on his pack reading a book in the moonlight."

"An old Chinese man, under the moon at night, carries a book. I could definitely foresee myself finding him!" Minho sneered bitterly. "Song Minho, you must be crazy. That wouldn't work in a million years."


"So you're saying that we find Yuelao and ask him for our answers."

"Yes. And—"

"We don't even know if he exists for sure. What makes you think we can find him?"

"We can try, I mean, it's better than doing nothing."

Seungyoon looked at Sera, who wouldn't even give him the luxury of a glance. Minho's right. It's better than doing nothing.

"We have to convince Sera, too."

"Okay."

"What?"

"Go convince her!"

"I can't... she won't listen to me."

"It's about time you two make up. It's been days."

"I want to make up too, but if I apologised, she won't consider what I said. And I really hope that she does."

"You haven't even asked for my opinion regarding that."

"Sorry. But what I said was really on a more logical spectrum than on the emotional spectrum. She loves me, so she won't want to consider the odds. It's morally wrong to break us up, so you don't consider too. Am I not right?"

"Seungyoon, you're human. It's not wrong to rule with emotions. It's what makes us human. She loves you, and you love her, and that's what you should care about."

"Then what about you? What if all of our lives end in tragedy?" A flicker of pain crosses Seungyoon's eyes.

Minho paused. He knew the pain. Not as much as Seungyoon, but he knew. A family that once happy became a family of disharmony and it all went downhill from there.

"That's why we're trying this. We're doing what we can to try to prevent that from happening, yet in a way that won't tear one or more of us apart. Let's just try this, okay? I'll try to convince Sera."

Seungyoon nodded.


Seungyoon watched as Minho exited the room and gave him a thumbs-up. His jaw dropped. How could he convince Sera that easily? Sera was nice, yes, but this plan is absurd.

What made him agree to it in the first place then? What made Sera agree to it.

Then he realised—they were both too desperate to keep each other. And they would do anything for that to happen.

Even if it meant finding some guy from a Chinese myth. Yup, they would do that, however stupid it sounded.

 

 

bc73ddc874ed5e17c8061da9d6da3347.jpg

All information from Wikipedia :-)