Brave

Red Threads

"Hey! Sorry I'm late!" Seungyoon huffed as he ran towards Sera. "Oh it's fine!" Sera laughed at how uncharacteristic it was for the girl to be early and the boy to be late. "Look at you." Sera reached up to comb through Seungyoon's wind-swept hair with her fingers. "Don't rush, it's dangerous. It's okay if you're late." Sera dabbed a hankerchief at Seungyoon's forehead as he stared straight at her wordlessly.

"Stop staring at me."

"But you're so pretty."

Oh, boys.

Sera slid her arm around Seungyoon's arm as they walked, both feeling giddy with happiness. The beach, Sera thought. What can be better than a picnic at the beach? Seungyoon took the basket from Sera, making her heart flutter with his gentlemanly gesture. Sera trudged along happily until Seungyoon stopped short in his tracks.

There was a sign saying that there was a car accident in front, asking cars to take a detour. Seungyoon didn't say anything, but Sera knew he was reliving his memories of the car accident he was in which took his parents' lives.

"Oppa. Let's take another—" Sera didn't get to finish her sentence as Seungyoon swept her into a hug. It was as if he could see it before him, the red threads of his parents forming paths away from each other. He would never want anything like this to happen. He would never want that to happen to him or Sera.

"It's okay, it's okay." Sera Seungyoon's hair, trying to calm him down. She could hear his heart beating crazily. "I'm here. It's okay." Sera's heart ached. She couldn't imagine the trauma he had to go through. Seungyoon buried his head into Sera's shoulder as he tried to slow his breathing and calm himself.

"I'm fine, let's go." Seungyoon smiled faintly, taking Sera by the hand, turning to another road. "Do you want to go home?" Sera asked. "No, I'm fine." Seungyoon didn't want to waste Sera's efforts in preparing for the picnic.

Seungyoon and Sera sat down at the beach side by side, staring at the sea. No one said a word. The basket remained unopened.

"I'm scared." Seungyoon broke the silence. "I'm scared that it will happen again. The thought that them being together led to their demise. That makes me scared. I don't want it to happen. I don't want it to happen to us."

"It won't. Look at this." Sera held up her hand and Seungyoon's hand. The red thread connecting their pinkies glowed against the dusty blue sky. "It won't happen to us. This is proof." She interlocked her fingers with Seungyoon.

"I know, but I'm still afraid." Seungyoon took a deep breath. "I'm still afraid of even getting a car because I'm scared that something like that would happen because of me. I'm such a coward."

"You're brave. You lived with it. You didn't just survive it, you lived through it. I won't be able to do it, but you did. You're brave, and I love you for that." Sera hugged Seungyoon close.

"I'm not going to let go of you."

"I'm fine with that."

tumblr_inline_ncao9yVJxl1qfy9cp.jpg