First Day Of Work

Red Threads

Sera stood in front of the mirror, trying to choose between pulling her hair up into a bun or letting it loose. She spared half a second to glance at the clock. 8:30. Half an hour before she had to report to work. She decided she didn't have the luxury of time, grabbed her bag and zoomed out of her apartment.

Why isn't the bus coming? Sera tapped her foot on the ground impatiently, all while glancing at her watch. She looked around impatiently, looking like she'd run to work herself if the bus wasn't coming soon. Ah, here it is at last! Sera hurriedly boarded the bus and paid her bus fare.

Sera was aware of Seungyoon's presence on the bus almost immediately. He was sitting near the back of the bus, next to the window. She noted that he was looking at her. He saw me too!? Sera asked herself. She smiled to Seungyoon, who gestured for her to sit next to him. She made her way to him, thankful that the bus wasn't as packed as she had expected it to be.

"Good morning, Ms Kwon." Seungyoon smiled. "You must be nervous since it's your first day of work but don't worry, we're all nice people." "Good morning." Sera greeted. "Yes I'm very nervous, sunbae-nim." Jinah didn't forget to add the respectful term at the end of her sentence. "Call me sunbae only in the office." Seungyoon smiled his warm smile. "How old are you?" "I'm 22 years old." Sera replied. "Oh, I'm the oppa then." Seungyoon beamed. "If you don't feel uncomfortable with it, you can refer to me as 'oppa' outside of the office." Seungyoon gulped, realising he might have been too ambitious and could have potentially frightened his soulmate. "Sure, oppa!" Sera beamed. Both of them were youngsters, and didn't really mind not using formal terms outside of the office.

"Do you live in this area? I haven't seen you around before." Seungyoon paused. "I don't think I have." Seungyoon made a mental note to choose his words carefully. "I moved into the old house my family and I lived in, around here once my job was confirmed." Sera explained. "Alone?" Seungyoon asked. "Yes, my parents live far away." Sera replied. "Must be tough, living alone." Seungyoon mused, since he knew what it felt like to live alone. He reckoned people who just moved out would have a lot to adjust to. "No, not really." Sera answered. "When you've lived alone long enough, it starts to get tiring." Seungyoon shared. "You start to miss your father's lectures, your mother's soup..." Seungyoon decided to stop before he made things awkward. "I see." Sera just smiled, looking down at her lap with a meaningful expression on her face.

"This is your desk." Jinah showed Sera her desk. Seungyoon was rather disappointed to know that they weren't sitting near each other. "Thank you." Sera replied, her mood slightly dampened when she realised Seungyoon's desk wasn't near hers. "Your job scope will be..." Jinah explained to Sera what her job included, before adding. "Seungyoon and you are the only permanent graphic designers we have in our office right now. We have some guest graphic designers, but you'll be working with Seungyoon a lot more." Sera perked up at that. "If you have any queries, ask him. He's very nice." Jinah smiled. "Yes I will. Thank you, sunbae-nim." Sera replied. She sat down at her desk, the desk surface, then the computer mouse. She glanced at Seungyoon who was busy typing away, pleased that they would have more chances to interact with each other.

This would make it easier, Sera thought. For both him and I. Sera glanced down at the brightly glowing red thread which was visible to only her (or so she thought), tied around her pinky finger, then extending to the other corner of the office, to Seungyoon's pinky finger.

tumblr_nydkwy9e0w1s1wstto1_500.png