Hi, Hanbin - Closer

Hi, Lee Hayi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s quite amusing how a televised fake rival turns out to become a close colleague, or rather, a close friend.

 

 

After finishing up SMTM, Hanbin and his ‘foe’ Olltii, somehow kept in touch and now were on terms wherein they gather for no apparent reason, fighting over who should cover the bill, even if it’s a hefty amount that sums to three numerals. Maybe it’s their love for music or the traumatizing stress they acquired from the survival show that gave them common ground  to understand the other. Either way, they were close enough that they’d spend birthdays together where it just so happened to be the once idol hating rapper’s special day. And Hanbin knew exactly what his friend would like. It was a dumbfounded type of gift, one which truly could not be measured in a set price.

 

Nothing would make Olltii more thankful than to have a certain someone invited to his little retreat.

 

Hanbin wasn’t really sure what it was about Lee Hi that made his friend so fascinated to the point where he’d constantly get an earful of requests to ‘set something up’. Naturally, he would brush it off and reject every time because more than anything, Hanbin just never did take Olltii’s words seriously. Besides the time that Olltii had randomly bumped into the girl during their SMTM days back at the company, Hanbin was certain that the two never came across the other since.

And yet, Olltii’s undying wish to befriend the girl grew from being a joke to seemingly be true.

 

What’s funny about that situation is the fact that he himself wasn’t exactly the closest with the soulful singer. People could even likely argue that despite the short time, Hanbin was much more comfortable around his past rival, Olltii, in comparison.

 

Hanbin would insist on just forking up some cash and buy an expensive set of beef for his friend if it wasn’t for the slump that the other had been experiencing. Olltii would invite the idol out for a night of drinks way too often, his voice sounding less and less human with each ring. It would kill Hanbin each time he had to pass on the ‘event’ not just because he was busy, but also because he just wasn’t the type to chug down alcohol so often. And yet he knew very well that that didn’t stop Olltii from having his own sessions that led him to a drunken stupor.

 

So Hanbin pushed aside his pride and did what he’d usually avoid a lifetime of...seeking help from Bobby. Bobby always kept a record of every good thing he'd ever do for anyone, calulating every detail in his memory. And when the perfect time would arrive, use those instances to bribe his way into getting something. But whatever, Hanbin figured that he'd be able to get away with whatever stupid thing Bobby would want later. So he went over to the kid lazily lounging in the living room. Everyone and their parents practically knew that the guy was arguably Lee Hi’s best friend. After HI SUHYUN, the duo became unstoppable..always floating together when they came across the other in a room. They even have a special hand shake they'd do when parting ways.

 

 

“Hey,” Hanbin said, eyes focused on the older one.

 

Bobby slightly pulled his attention away from the television, “Wae?”

 

“Any idea if Lee Hi-ssi is busy this weekend?” Hanbin adjusted his voice to the best of his ability to sound ‘normal’.

 

“THAT sounds like you’re trying to ask her out,” The boy answered back, turning fully to the leader, a smirk plastered on his lips. “What are you trying to do?”

 

“Nothing!” He said defensively. It was always amazing how much the members, especially Bobby liked to assume that there was something going on between him and the female sunbae.

 

“Olltii’s having that road trip thing for his birthday and I just thought maybe to invite her…”

 

“Olltii?” Bobby crinkled his nose. Bobby being friends with the rapper, was going too, but this news of potentially asking Hayi to tag along was a first to hear.“Why would she go? Does she even know him?”

 

“Y’know how Olltii’s been lately…all moody and in that slump...I thought maybe that would help? Besides, he’s always been a fan of hers” Hanbin was questioning just what exactly he was doing, “and yeah she does. They’ve met during SMTM days.”

 

“She never mentioned him before.”

 

“Like she tells you everything.”

 

“She tells me enough.”

 

“Well could you just ask her--”

 

“You do it,” Bobby interrupted.

 

“I’ve never called her for anything non work related.”

 

“And so?” Bobby waved his hand, shooing him away, “Then this will be the first.”

 

 

Hanbin would usually try to argue, use some brilliant set of words to persuade the fellow member to do it instead, but Bobby was already immersed back into whatever program he was currently into.

 

Sighing, the leader pulled his phone out from his joggers and lightly walked out to the balcony of their dorm. It didn’t take too long for him to scroll down his list of contacts before he came across her name.

 

Ironically, he had her saved as ‘Hayi’...as if they were super close--which they weren’t.

 

He pondered for a second why the heck he had her name set so casually on his phone like that before he finally broke from his trance and dialled her.

   

The rings on the other line were making him anxious. After it went through three times, Hanbin made up his mind to give up if it reached five rings. Thankfully, she ended up picking up on the fourth.

 

“Hello?” Her voice over the phone never failed to make him feel odd.

 

“Hello?” Hanbin didn't know how to start the conversation. Something that is often a problem when he'd talk to her.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter