Hi, Hanbin - Notice Part 1

Hi, Lee Hayi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hanbin has been in YG for one too many years to count.

 

Hanbin witnesses it all, trainees coming and going in the blink of a flash. He tries his best to not get attached to anyone in particular besides a small handful. Many have pointed that out as the reason to why they claim him to be intimidating. Everyone knew that despite the countless years the boy had been kept from a debut, Hanbin was a shoe in to make it in the business; therefore, no matter how arrogant or rude he portrays himself to be, no one dared to speak out against him. If anything, many wished for nothing more than acknowledgement from the young kid. Perhaps, if YG’s second coming golden boy were to remember them, they would no longer be just a nameless face in a crowd of hopefuls.

Hanbin’s word could be that of gold, their ticket into the music world.

 

Although he never quite bothered getting familiar with the others, everyone knew of his name.

 

Kim Hanbin or B.I., his name was infamous amongst the trainees. When a newcomer was added, he’d only initiate any introductions when necessary because most of the time, they would get cut.

 

When a girl named Lee Hayi joined, there was no difference.

 

The young prodigy did not even notice the quiet whispers of excitement from those around, nor the wandering eyes that searched for the tiny new singer. Hanbin never paid attention to such trivial things.

 

He’s headed to one of his routinely monthly evaluations with Junhoe when he first sees her. Taken she has already been settled in for about five months, it is still the first time for him to take notice.

 

Much to his surprise, the tall kid to his side is all chummy with her.

 

Junhoe nudges the small girl before taking hold of her into a headlock.

What kind of a guy would play so rough with a girl? And although she shoots June a glare, her face expresses that she is accustomed to his antics. Apparently Junhoe and Hayi’s friendship exceeds that of awkwardness that allows for them to be tangled into each other like so.

 

It’s an interesting observation that Hanbin takes note of.

 

She skillfully maneuvers her way out of his hold, before going her way as if nothing happened. She neither responds to Junhoe’s sarcastic calls thereafter or the seemingly large crowd of trainees that gathers to see her off. Hanbin watches as this all goes down, questioning the younger friend as to who the stoic girl is.

 

Lee Hayi, often stylized as Lee Hi.

He learns that for the first time.

 

Unlike the majority, it seems as if he is the only one who is clueless about her. As trainees, they own no television, so access to whatever goes on in the ‘outside world’ comes with a limited access. Whatever was currently trending is up to them to figure out.

Hanbin didn’t care much for such--especially if it were outside the realm of hip hop.

 

Lee Hayi for all he figures, is simply just another newbie.

 

Hanbin questions Junhoe about their relationship with each other because he must know now whether or not if the girl could threaten to be a nuisance of any sort to their team...romantically, he means. He receives a strange mix of a jeer with a chuckle in return.

They've known the other since their reality show appearance; to which Hanbin is shocked to find out that the boy once took part in. Apparently, he had known nothing about this KPOP star thing besides the fact that Yang CEO was part of it.

 

Junhoe finds his hyung's careful gaze at the short girl to be that of something new.

It's undetermined whether or not that is a good thing.

 

"She's an awkward type of noona. She doesn't seem to make much friends."

 

"And yet you're one of them."

 

"I'm liked by all~ Why? Are you jealous of my connections?"

 

Hanbin rolls his eyes at pompous boy. If he had a big ego already, how much more would it inflate when they were to finally debut? Besides, what good would it be to be on close terms with what seems to be a semi popular girl named Hayi? And judging from their second of an encounter, she had a personality that screamed 'leave me alone'.

 

Hanbin is perfectly fine with obeying that. It was just slightly strange to come across someone so seemingly uninterested to mix with others.



 

The second time he sees Hayi is at the main YG building.

 

She is sitting alongside the likes of Lydia Kim and other producers. Unlike the previous time, a smile dances along her thin lightly pink stained lips. She is full of life. The gray cloud that once loomed above her head is nowhere to be seen.

 

In comparison to himself, Hanbin hasn't been over to this building that often. Moments to befriend the 'big guys' were never available.

 

He hesitates to enter the room, not wanting to interrupt such a positive atmosphere.

 

It is then that his eyes make contact with ones that him into another dimension.

Like a magnetic force, he feels himself wanting to draw close. They provide him the warmth and security that all will be well. But he  can only stay mesmerized, paralysed by her stare.

 

"Hanbin!"

 

And in a second, he is pulled back out.

 

He searches for those inviting eyes once more, but her head keeps low and the reserved cold girl he initially saw returns. He refuses to look away because perhaps such happy eyes will reappear, but he is forced to look away when a hand pulls him over.

 

"Hanbin!" she says a second time.

 

It's Jennie Kim.

 

While Hanbin is considered a veteran in the trainee field, Jennie was right there with him. She's a loud mouthed girl with a flirtatious side. She could have any male being under her spell on her command. All except for one. Despite the many times attempted, Hanbin never once fell for it--or even grasp such situations.

 

Jennie's standing was like that of her friend.

Having featured and even starred in some of YG artists' works, she practically already has her name out there. She comfortably ran around the main headquarters while he was still obviously cautious like walking on pins and needles.

 

It's a pleasant surprise to Jennie to have her long time peer pop up.

 

She finds it difficult to even recall the last time they met. She points out his change in hairstyle, for she swears that before,  his strands were a blindingly bleach blonde. Definitely not a good look and she's glad it's gone. Hanbin points out that the bold look left a strong impression on Yang CEO, who at that time, appreciated the boy's willingness to stand out and truly drive a concept home. His team ended up winning that evaluation, but more than half no longer remained with him today.

 

They exchange words of their past stories all the while the girl across the room tries to phase them off. She continues to fiddle with her fingers, head remaining low.

 

It is Lydia that calls the duo by the doorway to make their official entrance; while a crowd of producers excuse their way out.

 

The boy once again hesitates to do so, somehow finding the room full of the three females to be somewhat suffocating. Seeing the hiccup in his steps, Jennie pushes her friend from behind before jumping in to hug the unnie. She then leans forward for a handshake with the silent Lee Hayi.

 

They gather for a session in songwriting. It was yet another brilliant plan of Yang Hyun Suk's that would allow for their talents to bloom. The CEO handpicked the three personally.

 

Hanbin figures the reason for Jennie and himself being chosen to be obvious, but Hayi remains a mystery.

How much does she know? How talented is she?

 

They learn that they are thus rewarded the blessing to use the renowned YG equipment to help their creative juices flow, that the room they're in are for their complete use.

 

It is not long after that Lydia bids goodbye, leaving the same age friends to mingle. But the three of them are anything from being the best of friends, as one girl in particular never once peeps a sound. Hayi keeps to herself, seated at the far side of the room. She immerses her full attention to her notebook which is decorated with scribbles and cross outs of her unsatisfied lyrics.

 

Jennie's approach is much livelier. Sitting atop the table, her long legs swing back and forth to the melody that plays in her head, a look of contentment paints itself on her face. She is the first to finish. Jennie overlooks the work of the boy to her side. The individual who usually is swift with the pen staggers with just a few sentences written down.

 

"What happened to the golden child?"

Jennie teasingly asks. She glides her capped pen playfully along the boy's forearm, slithering it back and forth against his skin.

 

She's flirting.

 

As usual, Hanbin doesn't notice it, but the other occupant does. Hayi watches the scene unfold from the small clearing of her parted hair that hung down like a curtain from her head.

 

This, Hanbin sees--dark pupils secretly glancing his way.

 

Jennie is just about to go in for a stronger move when a knock on the door prevents that from happening. She leaves the room, having to return to practice with the arrival of another trainee from abroad named Lalice joining her potential group. Hanbin gives a few encouraging words, knowing the feeling of meeting new faces... Time and time again.

 

The slam of the door sends an echo throughout the quiet room. The sounds of two people breathing never seemed so incredibly loud.

Hanbin flicks an eraser down the table.

Purposely.

 

He tries to shake any type of reaction from the girl. When she fails to do anything, he requests for the white rubber back.

 

Hayi's head finally lifts up, her eyes judging him.

"You're using a pen... "

 

Idiot.

Hanbin freezes at her statement, noticing the hole he dug himself in. His brain runs in a thousand miles, trying to figure out a way to pull himself from sounding any more strange.

 

But she gets up without the need to hear anything, placing the eraser back in front of the guy.

 

"Thanks," he softly says, somewhat confused.

 

She's heading for the door when he pushes his chair back, dragging his way to block her path. He sits comfortably in the leather chair, hands snugly folded in his arms.

He studies this Lee Hayi girl before him before deciding to do something he rarely ever does. Hanbin pulls out the pen that sits atop his ear and scribbles numbers down onto a scrap piece of paper he rips from his own notebook.

 

"Here's my number," he says in a matter of fact tone.

 

"And so?" she looks at the tattered piece being offered.

 

"You can call me whenever." He waves it, stretching it out a tad bit more.

 

"I'm not going to call you," she responds back in her own matter of fact dictation.

 

Hanbin smiles at her indifferent charm, slipping the paper in her notebook before retreating his chair inwards and clearing her way.

 

"You're going to call me right?"

 

"No." She reiterates before making her way out.

 

Hanbin usually does not bother to know others besides a small handful and a necessary round of socialization wasn’t needed as Lee Hayi will not be part of his debuting team. Yet there he was passing his contact details away, setting a propos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter