Hae's Dream - The Hardest Decision

Long Lost Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Donghae's Dream - (Hae's PoV)

After that day at the hospital, Eunhyuk came to visit Minha a lot. Already the next day at the first hour, he was in front of her room with a bouquet of flowers.

When Donghae saw it, his heart tightened. The only thing he wanted to do was to take his hand and run as far away as possible from his sister. First it was impossible and second, it was a stupid idea… he had to have more faith in Eunhyuk and not let his insecurities ruin everything. But it was hard to think that way when he saw how Eunhyuk looked at Minha. A stare that he knew, oh too well… Not wanting to be in their way, Donghae just let them spend the day together and returned to the dorms. Once he was back he went straight for a shower. A good hot shower, which he hoped would calm his heart down. But he couldn’t help but be super nervous about leaving Eunhyuk alone with his sister. There was someone else, too, that he couldn’t help thinking about: Leeteuk. After the shock from yesterday, with Minha who didn’t recognize him, Donghae imagined the boy to be in a high distress. And it made him think about it too. The doctor said she had forgotten certain things, and that she erased a year before her accident, but forgetting a person that was a whole lot.  And among all the people who she could’ve forgotten about, it was the most improbable one… because after all, they were supposed to love each other. It had been with such easiness that Eunhyuk forgave that details to Minha too. Since she returned he never ever mentioned that point and the fact that she cheated on him with his brother didn’t seem to bother him the least.

Once he was done with his shower and changed, Donghae laid in his bed for a moment, he dreaded to go back to the hospital. He was happy to have his sister back, it wasn’t that… he didn’t know how to behave or what he should say or not. Things were too complicated in his head and feelings right now, and he had troubles handling it. Donghae sat on the bed sighing.

The boy was lost in his thoughts when suddenly the room’s door opened in a fly and a blond boy came in.

“Hyukjae! Why aren’t you picking up your phone?”

Sungmin stopped on the spot when he noticed Donghae. "As discreet as ever…" Donghae thought. The blond boy frowned.

“What are you doing here?”

“Last time I checked this was still my room.” Donghae replied, amused.

“Right, right, sorry… It’s just that Eunhyuk told me you were staying at your parents for the week end so I didn’t think I’d find you here.”

So Eunhyuk didn’t tell Sungmin about Minha’s return… That was an interesting piece of information.

“Have you seen Hyuk? I can’t get in touch with him.”

Donghae hated to lie, even more to his friends, but he knew that it wasn’t really the best moment to throw a bomb like this on Sungmin, and he preferred letting Eunhyuk handle his best friend, the thin boy would tell him when he would be ready. So without totally lying Donghae replied:

“I don’t really know… I just came to get some clothes to change, since I wasn’t supposed to stay out.”

“Yeah by the way thanks for the rain check yesterday!”

“Sorry…”

Sungmin then came to sit next to Donghae on the bed. Then he turned to the brunet and stared directly in his eyes.

“Did something happen between you and Hyuk?”

Donghae was surprised by the question.

“What?! No nothing happened.”

Yet. He thought.

“Something is always up with you two! Even when you’re all fluffy and fine!”

“We are never fluffy Min… That’s your couple…”

“Anyway…” said Sungmin with a dismissive hand movement. “Are you sure everything is ok?”

Was it? He wasn’t even sure himself. Donghae almost had to force himself to smile.

“Yes, everything is fine.”

The brunet didn’t know if he was saying that to reassure Sungmin or himself. The blond believed him, since he didn’t ask further questions and just left, asking Donghae to tell him if he ever had news from Eunhyuk. Once he was alone in the room again, Donghae sighed. Why were they keeping it a secret? He had a feeling that this whole situation was going to come around and end up biting him.

***

It was already the end of the afternoon and visiting hours would soon end. Donghae saw Eunhyuk going out of the room. Their eyes met, and Donghae smiled at him. They then went to the cafeteria, so they could talk in peace. As soon as they sat down Donghae asked him:

“Are you okay?”

Eunhyuk sighed.

“Define okay…”

“Right… I know things are a little bit complicated right now, but I’m sure it will eventually get better.”

“It’s so confusing… seeing her here when we all thought she was gone. It seems like I’m looking through a mirror and seeing pieces of another person’s life.”

“I know what you mean… it’s been so long.”

Eunhyuk nodded and they stayed in silence for a moment. Donghae then took the other boy’s hand and squeezed it softly, gaining a smile from Hyuk. He was about to say something when suddenly, Donghae’s therapist appeared.

“Hey boys.”

“Hello doc.” both boys answered in a same voice.

“I see you got the big news.” the doctor said to Eunhyuk.

“Yes I did… quite a shocking surprise.”

“I bet it was. So how is she?”

It was Donghae who answered.

“She was happy to see Eunhyuk again and I think it was a good thing she did. But then, she doesn’t remember someone.”

The therapist frowned.

“She couldn’t remember my brother.” Eunhyuk specified.

“Were they close?”

Both boys nodded.

“That’s not all.” Donghae added. “She is having nightmares too.”

The doctor seemed in a deep reflection, then after a few seconds he asked.

“I think her nightmares are something normal in her state. Having lost a part of her memory and not to remember her accident can be confusing and the unconscious will do everything to bring it back when sometimes the consciousness is not ready for it. And about your brother… well… We knew she forgot a whole year but I didn’t think she could forget the existence of someone at that point. Did something happen between them?”

Donghae and Eunhyuk exchanged a glace. They had a pretty idea of what happened, but at the same they couldn’t be sure it was the reason why she didn’t remember him. Neither of them wanted to expose their complicated love triangle (it was more of a quartet really), to the therapist. Even if they didn’t say anything, the doctor understood there was something, but he didn’t insist.

“Well, I’m sure she will remember with time. For the time being her mind is still stuck 5 year ago. Even if she knows that a lot of time passed, she can’t help but look for familiar things from that time, like for example Eunhyuk.”

Eunhyuk turned to Donghae.

“What does he mean when he says she still thinks she is 5 years ago…”

That’s when Eunhyuk realized something.

“She thinks we are still together!”

It was more a statement than a question and Donghae nodded, confirming it. That was disturbing… The most disturbing information ever… But Eunhyuk couldn’t do anything with it right now; he had enough things to process at once.

“I know it’s hard, when you two came so far with your lives.” the doctor said. “But I’ll ask you to keep the illusion for a little while; she has to come back to reality bits by bits.”

“What do you mean by keep the illusion?” Eunhyuk asked.

The doctor looked at Donghae, hesitating to say it. But Donghae already knew it. He knew what his therapist wanted and what it meant for them.  He knew it the moment he saw his sister… It was then the brunet’s duty to tell his lover.

“You have to pretend to be her boyfriend again.”

“WHAT?!”

Understanding that it wasn’t going to be an easy talk, the therapist took his leave, letting the two boys sort it out. Eunhyuk then turned to Donghae, mad.

“What the hell are you talking about?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter