-Chapter 3-

Color In My Eyes

I couldn’t help but smile. I don’t know why but for some reason just talking (sort of) to someone and not being bombarded with questions about my flaws felt nice. I mean, I barely know the guy, but still. When I got home I placed the paper airplane on my nightstand. So I spent the rest of the day reading until I got hungry and I was tired of eating instant macaroni-and-cheese for supper everyday so I decide to go out.

We live in an area where I can walk wherever I want to, but my parents like driving more because it gets them places quicker. After getting some food I head back home around six and I find my parents already there. They don’t even bother to talk to me so I start the conversation by saying, “So, how was work?” My dad is watching the news on TV and my mom is cleaning the dishes. My mom replies and says, “It was fine, same as usual.” No one says anything afterwards so I go upstairs to my room. You can’t blame me for trying. When I get in my room, I read for the rest of the night and I head to bed.

The next day I woke up early to get ready to meet Sehun. After getting ready I, once again, find a sticky note from my parents and I head out. When I get to the park I sit on the bench, but I don’t see him. I wait there for a couple of minutes and I start to wonder if he forgot about me. I get up and as I’m leaving, I see him running and he stops right in front of me and he puts his hands on his knees and is breathing heavily. Once he catches his breath, he stands up straight and says, “Sorry that I’m late, I slept in late.”

“Its fine” I was surprised what his voice sounded like considering the fact that I’ve never heard it before, until now.

“Want to head over to a café?” he asks

“Sure” I reply. He smiles and we go to the café. We don’t speak much since we don’t know each other very well. As we are walking he breaks the silence and asks, “So, what’s your story?”

“What do you mean?”

“What I mean is, what you like, what are your hobbies, what do you parents do for a living. What I’m asking is, who is Charity Collins?”

I blush and say, “Well, there’s nothing special about me. But if you want to know, my parents work in two different companies which have a very long name so I don’t feel like explaining, I’m an only child, I like books and music, and the thing that makes people gasp the most about me is, I’m colorblind.” There was silence between us and I figured it was about me being colorblind, but then I look at his face and I see him smiling. “What is it?” I ask confused.

“Nothing it’s just, isn’t it extraordinary how people can have color be taken away from them?” he says. I never really thought of it like that before. “But I don’t find it weird that you’re colorblind, I find it, astounding.” Never once in my life have I heard anyone say that being colorblind is astounding.

“Why do you say so?” I ask

“Because you look at the world differently. You don’t look at what color it is, you look beyond that. You look at what shape it is, its texture, everything.”

“So?”

“So, that means you’re different. And being different isn’t bad, it’s even worse to be the same as everyone else.” I smiled at what he said and we arrive at the café. When we order, we sit down and he sips his coffee while I drink my ice tea.

For some reason when I’m with Sehun, it feels like I’ve known him for all of my life. Like we’ve been friends for ages and we haven’t even known. I don’t know if it’s just because he’s friendly, or I’m just really comfortable with him.

“Well, who are you then, Oh Sehun?” I ask. He raises his eyebrow and places his cup down.

“I guess what you could say is that I’m an artist, but not a professional one. I live alone and I don’t have a job. Well, I do sell my paintings to get some extra cash.” He says

“How much do you charge for a painting?” I ask

“It depends on how long I spend time on it. Like if it takes me two weeks, then maybe $15. But if it takes me a month or so, then $50.”

“What about your parents?”

“They don’t live close to me, but I do go visit them sometimes.”

“At least your parents love you. Mine don’t really care what I do”

“They love you; they just probably don’t show it.” We chat for a while about each other and then we leave. We walk around the city and then we go to an art museum. When we walk in there are a bunch of paintings and I could tell Sehun was really into them. He looked at them closely and was completely mesmerized by them.

“Let me ask you a question” he says to me, “what do you see?” I look at the painting he’s looking at. It looks like a collage but I can’t seem to figure out what.

“It looks like a bunch of triangles and circles and squares being squished together against their own will to form a painting. It kind of reminds me of people in New York going down the sidewalk and they’re being squished together, all shapes and sizes. Stupid huh?”

He laughs and says, “See! You look at the world differently than other people. I would have never thought of that. What it is is that the collage forms a picture of a lady.”

“Well that makes more sense”

“Actually, I like your idea better.” We looked at all of the other paintings and it was actually not as boring as I thought it was going to be. It was really funny when we got to this one room and there were these kids that were cracking up at a picture of a woman. One of them took a picture. I actually got in trouble a lot in the museum because 1. I took a picture and the man caught me 2. I got to close to a painting and 3. I accidently ran into one of the paintings and we got thrown out of the museum.

“Did you see his face?! He was so mad at you!” Sehun laughed

“I know, he almost had a heart attack when I ran into the painting. It’s not my fault I couldn’t see where I was going when I was backing up to look at the picture clearly!” I exclaim

“Actually, it is” he says

“I know but still, it was hilarious. But I do feel bad for them having to deal with us” I say

“Are you kidding me? That was the best time I had at an art museum ever!” he says still laughing. When we leave we go into a bunch of shops and look around. One of the shops we stopped at was a music store. We listened to a bunch of music inside the store and we even bought some stuff too. It was getting dark outside and Sehun said, “I got to show you something”

I walked behind him around the park and it was so beautiful seeing all of the lights hanging from the trees at night. And also the fact that there are no kids so it was very peaceful.

“Beautiful huh?” he says

“Yeah” I say in awe

“It’s amazing how much different someplace can look when you put it in a different atmosphere”

“It’s quite breathtaking” I reply. He holds my hand and we just stand there looking around the park. I don’t know what he’s trying to accomplish by doing all of this stuff with me, but honestly, I don’t care.

“I want you to know that this is not exactly a date” he says

“Then what is it?” I ask looking at him. He looks at me and smiles and says, “I would call this a day of getting to know Charity Collins.” he says. I blush at his comment and I tighten the grip of his hand even more.

“I should probably get home, it is pretty late” I say

“Ok. When can I see you again?” he asks

“I don’t know, my parents and I are invited to a dinner at one of their friends’ house so I have to go too.”

“Then maybe the day after that? How about three” he says

“Sure, three it is”

“I’ll see you then, Charity” he says and walks off. As he walks off he turns around and waves to me and I wave back smiling as I’m standing there. The things this man does to me really is remarkable.

 

 


 

Yay Chapter 3! I actually did go to an art museum once and I did get in trouble like take a picture, get to close to a painting. I did run into a painting, I just didn't get caught. But I did get yelled at I just didn't get kicked out or anything. So it's almost a true story. Oh and there were kids taking pictures of the painting of that woman.... But anyways I hoped you like this chapter. And a sneak peek for the next chapter, there is gonna be a new character introduced hehehe.