Little Things

Happiness! //Baekji Oneshots//

He took care about her in unexpected ways.

-

When Howon announced the Student Body Council’s meeting would take longer than usual, Baekhyun kept sending glances to the girl sat across him.

That girl named Jung Eunji, everybody’s favorite, because her ability to fit in easily with everyone. She was well known for her singing and she was quite an athlete because she had such a perfect flexibility and balance. Baekhyun once saw her doing a handstand. And it was marvelous.

She was noting down whatever these people discussed, and he only nodded his head blankly, he even didn’t know why he was here.

The senior high school was going to have its anniversary, so Howon wanted to hold an event. Maybe a bazaar or showcase would be nice.

They were arguing about the budgeting plans, and Baekhyun only looked out to the window. It was dark already. How long I’ve stuck here already, he asked. He checked his wrist watch and realized the clock was ticking at 9.

He again glanced at that girl.

Baekhyun knew a tiny little fact about her. Even she was awesome doing handstand and she was amazing singing high tones, Eunji had asthma. And he accidentally found out when she dropped the inhaler to the ground one day. She quickly took it and hid it inside her bag. And her eyes wandered, afraid people might find out.

That was when Baekhyun attracted to her for the first time.

He looked on search engines and they said people suffering for asthma weren’t recommended to go out at night, because the cold temperature somehow could make them relapsed.

He gazed at Howon, who was arguing with some members about the budget, and he knew it wouldn’t over soon, so he tried to find a way to halt this useless meeting.

“Hyung.” Baekhyun raised his hand, getting attentions all over. “I’m sorry, but.. My mother is sick and she keeps asking where my whereabouts is. Do you think you can postpone this meeting? I really need to go home.”

He knew this was such a terrible lie and later at home, he really should pour his mother kisses and prayers so she would always be healthy.

Howon’s facial expression changed. He quickly nodded and said, “Oh, okay, okay. Do you want to go home first?”

He didn’t want this option. “No, hyung, I think we should postpone this meeting. It’s late and I don’t think it’s good for the girls to go home later.”

Howon again nodded in agreement and he started to pile up his papers. “We will meet here again tomorrow after school, okay? Now you all, especially you, Baek, you can go home.”

Baekhyun tried to maintain his calm facial expression and pretended to call his mother. He bowed his head as the other members were bidding goodbyes to him. He stood up and acted worried, whispering, “.. Pick up, Eomma..” and glancing at Eunji, who was tidying up her stuffs.

“Need help?” Baekhyun restlessly asked her, seeing her getting annoyed with her notes.

Eunji looked up to him. Oh, right, we are not that close to giving hands to each other. “I mean you seem are in a trouble with those.” He pointed those casually.

She shook her head. “No, it’s okay, sunbae, I got this.” And she gave him an assuring smile.

Baekhyun nodded and said, “Well, I’ll get going. See you.” He walked out of the room coolly, but few steps after, he was losing his strength.

 

After watched him leaving, Eunji sighed in desperation. Why did she have to say things like that? He was offering you help, Eunji. She then took out her cell phone and searched for a name on her contact list.

Sunggyu~~

She was this close to dial his number, but then she realized it has been three days since that guy asked them to take a hiatus. Hiatus, my foot.

Kim Sunggyu was her boyfriend, they dated for almost four, five years, she even couldn’t remember. Sunggyu was now on college and she was really proud about him.

But what people didn’t know was the smiling Sunggyu could be childish and selfish at times. He preferred to spend time with his friends, instead having a date with her. “What will my friends think if I introduce you to my friends? You’re still wearing a school uniform, Eunji. Maybe later, when you are a bit older.” He said one day.

Once. Twice. Thrice. Eunji was trying to let him be. But lately, she couldn’t take it anymore. So when she confronted him about it, Sunggyu went ballistic. He even mentioned about the ing hiatus and asked Eunji to have some time alone.

Eunji sighed. It wasn’t like she never took the bus, but what if the air could make her relapse?

“Come on, Jung, don’t be such a kid just because he can’t pick you up.” Eunji rambled and stood up, deciding to take the bus no matter what.

 

So when she found Baekhyun was leaning his back against the front gate, Eunji was speechless. What that guy was doing here? Shouldn’t he go home? His mother was sick, was her?

She knew Byun Baekhyun from her friends who loved to squealing and fangirling over him. Baekhyun was only a Student Body Council member, he wasn’t the Head or Vice, but his fame was known so much better than Howon himself.

She heard that Baekhyun was playing on the soccer team, he was having many friends from different circles, and he was very friendly to everyone, except her.

She didn’t know why and when, but the way the older looked at her, talked to her, was just very awkward. It was like he didn’t like to see her. Seeing is believing, wise man said that, so Eunji kept her distance. She only greeted him if her friends were around, she was only talked to him if he asked him first.

“Oh, you’re here.” Baekhyun stared at her.

“Why?” Eunji asked confusedly.

He furrowed his eyebrows, didn’t understand what she meant, but then he smiled. “.. Oh. I called her already and she said she is okay.” He hurriedly added, “And it’s not nice to leave you alone just like that.”

“You can go, sunbae. I’ll be okay.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Who will pick you up? Your boyfriend?”

Ah, so he also knew.

“Yeah..” She lied, somehow hoping Baekhyun would nod and leave her.

“Let me give you a company then.” He said, making Eunji confused. “I just don’t want something bad happen to you.”

The silence slowly engulfed as they didn’t know what to say. They were too awkward, so Baekhyun only sending her secret glances and Eunji was looking at everything, except her senior.

Baekhyun sensed the cold wind was blowing, so he quickly looked at Eunji, who tightened her sweater. He sighed, a thin sweater like that wouldn’t help.

Baekhyun took off his varsity jacket and put it on her shoulder.

He could see the latter was confused with his attitude. She even muttered, “.. I thought you hate me..” very softly.

“... I never hate you...” Baekhyun said.

“But..” She didn’t continue.

“No, wipe that thought away, will you? I never hate you.” He stated. “Put in on so you won’t get cold. I don’t know what I should do if you relapse–” Baekhyun stopped talking and he looked at Eunji, whose eyes were widening.

“You knew..?” She finally asked.

“By accident, I swear to God, by accident. I saw you dropped it once. But I swear to God, I never tell. I keep my mouth shut very tightly so it won’t ever be spilled. You can count on me.” He uttered too quickly, afraid she would get different meaning.

She couldn’t find anything to say, so she simply looked at him only.

“You’re not mad at me, right?”

She let out a soft smile. “I’m not. Thank you for keeping it for yourself only, sunbae. You’re being so nice.”

Baekhyun let out a childish proud smile, the one that her friends love to scream about. He looked at his watch and realized it has been twenty minutes, and her boyfriend was nowhere to be seen. “It’s getting late. You should call him.”

She shook her head.

“Why? Your phone is low battery? Here, use mine.” He held out his cell phone.

Again, she shook her head.

“Yah, Jung Eunji, you’re okay, right?”

“He won’t come, sunbae.”

“Who?”

“Him.”

“Your boyfriend?” Baekhyun tried to guess. When he saw her nodding lightly, he asked, “You broke up with him?”

Will break up.” She corrected for him.

Baekhyun knew he wasn’t in the league to ask what happened between her and her boyfriend, so he only nodded. “Come. Let me take you home.” He said firmly.

 

When Eunji jumped down of his motorcycle, Baekhyun was watching her very carefully as she tried to pull off the helmet. She had a hard time doing it, so he pulled the girl closer and asked her to tilt her head back. Blushing, Eunji obeyed.

Baekhyun felt his heart would explode anytime soon and his nose smelled vanilla scent from her hair, and it made him went crazier than ever.

It took a while for him to finally pulling it off.

“I really should buy a new helmet..” He tried to break the awkwardness with an awkward chuckle.

Eunji only nodded. “Oh, sunbae! Your jacket..” She was about to take it off when Baekhyun shook his head.

“No, just wear it. You need it better than I do.”

“O-o-okay then .”

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Eunji.” Then he went off, leaving Eunji with a beam slowly drawn on her face.

See you tomorrow.

 

 


a/n

escaping my midterm exams by writing another Baekji oneshot without a nice plot.

 

Anyway, happy reading!