Banana Milk

Happiness! //Baekji Oneshots//

Eunji didn’t know whether it was luck or coincident to agree on his very alluring offer.

-

Their first day being a high school student was nice. Eunji, who was socially awkward with girls, was satisfied when she knew Mino was going to be her classmate. They even sat side by side, and talked about their classmates.

There was Lee Taemin, Eunji and Mino went to same middle school before, and he beamed when he saw them. He quickly sat right behind them and joined their conversation, not to mention he also introduced his new friend, Do Kyungsoo.

This Do Kyungsoo had big round eyes and heart shape lips. He was shorter than Taemin, but somehow, the way he talked and acted, it was very gentle.

But when the teacher walked in to the room, the class suddenly went quiet. He looked like a mess with eye bags, tousled shirt, and unshaved beard. If only he tried to look a bit better, Eunji guessed he would look okay.

“I had a bad morning today, but I’m still coming here to meet you all. So I wish you all too are willing to come to school, even you feel like you don’t like it. Understood?” He looked at his students and continued, “My name is Lee Dongwook, and I’ll be your homeroom teacher and teaching you Korean Literature. I hate tardiness and laziness, so if you have those two habits, please try to get rid of them. I don’t like people, who crave for attention and over sensitive. If you don’t like the way I talk, try to live with it for these two semesters.” He then looked at their seating charts. “You will be seated like this for the whole two semesters, so if later I see any difference, don’t be mad if I will kick your out. I don’t really adore changes in any term. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Seonsaengnim.” The class answered.

He let out a thin smile. “Good. For today, let’s decide the class officers and chores duty.”

When the teacher was busy deciding who would be the Class President and Vice, Eunji looked out to the window, because the sound of whistle was getting her attention.

And her eyes widened.

She saw that senior, who she sent the love letter to, with the number 21 on his shirt, was walking with his friends. He was chuckling about something his friends have said. She looked down at her skirt and a soft smile appeared on her lips.

She opened her notebook and wrote something on it. When Mino took a look at it, thinking she might write something important, he grinned.

Monday. 21.

 

Baekhyun’s class had the PE lesson on Mondays.

And Baekhyun, as the hyperactive brat, was already running and playing around with his friends, telling that outdoor occasion would always turn him on. And of course, he got laughter and repetitive hits from his friends.

Baekhyun was looking at the blue sky, when his eyes accidentally met a spot. Unlike the other classes, which windows were closed, that class wasn’t. He saw a brunette haired girl was looking to the front and her attention seemed like not disturbed with the noises his friends had caused. He took a good look on that girl, because she seemed somehow familiar, and he was stunned knowing who she was, when her hair was played smoothly by the wind.

It’s the girl who he made cry.

“Baekhyun, come on! Choi Seonsaengnim will kill you!” His friend grabbed his arm and brought him to the crowd.

When they were warming up, Baekhyun’s eyes couldn’t let go of the sight. And when she turned her head, Baekhyun quickly looked down at his feet, avoiding their gazes to meet. When he wondered why the hell he did that for, he looked up and saw her was still looking at the crowd. But Baekhyun knew the gaze wasn’t directed to him. She was looking at someone else.

And when he tried to find out why she suddenly giggled, he smirked.

It’s because Jongdae was making duck face to his friends.

-

The school ended at four.

And Lee Seonsaengnim said all first years had to join extra courses to boost their grades and he said it would make their reports look good for the scholarships.

And there was Eunji, sitting alone at the corridor with brochures from all extra courses in her school.  She was confused, not because she had no talent, it’s just all the extra courses didn’t seem interesting. What the hell. Cooking class, Soccer, Student Body Council, Judo, Hapkido, Basketball, Choir, Dancing, Art Club, even they had Book Club. But Eunji had no idea which of those she should join.

“Hey, Banana Milk!”

Eunji turned her head only to find Baekhyun was smiling at her. He sat beside her, without even asking for her permission, took the brochures and read them nonchalantly.

“What is this?” He asked. “Whoa, even soccer team has brochure!” He then looked at her. “Are you planning on joining of these?” He raised the brochures.

“I have no other options. Lee Seonsaengnim said we have to join at least one of these extra courses to improve our grades.”

“Ahh, Spooky Lee is your homeroom teacher?”

Eunji looked at him with confusion appeared on her face.

“It’s Lee Dongwook Seonsaengnim’s nickname. We call him that because he has such dark personality. He is somehow reminds me of Severus Snape, you know, Harry Potter?”

She nodded and let out a soft chuckle.

“So, have you decided yet?”

“I’m confused. I was thinking of Choir, but I won’t have friends. My friends are joining Soccer.”

“Then why don’t you join it too?”

Eunji made a face. “Sunbae, I am a girl, for God’s sake. Or do I look like Myungsoo sunbae, already?”

Baekhyun chuckled. “You can be the manager, you know, helping Yoonjo and Chorong noona. Trust me, they will be happy to get another hands to take care of us.”

“Us?” Eunji asked.

He nodded. “Us. I’m on the team too, with Jongdae.” He informed her, and when he saw Eunji’s cheeks tinted red, he confirmed it already. “Jongdae would be happy to meet you again, you know, after that incident.” Baekhyun added. Seeing her doubt, Baekhyun patted her shoulder. “You will like it. Those kids are okay, trust me.” He then stood up and opened his bag, taking out a cup of banana milk. “Here you go, to help you releasing your stress.” He joked. “Bye, Banana Milk!” He waved his hand and left her.

Eunji was left dumbfounded, then she looked down at the banana milk her senior has given to her. She narrowed her eyes. “He didn’t put anything inside, didn’t he?” She questioned to herself.

 

When she arrived at home, Minhyuk was welcoming her with baby blue apron and spatula on his hand. “Where’s everyone?” She asked and opened the refrigerator. Minhyuk hit her hands and asked her to wash them before opening the refrigerator. Frowning, Eunji obeyed.

“Donghae hyung is on the way home. Jinki hyung is in his room. Minseok is taking a shower.” Minhyuk answered. “How’s school treating you today, baby maknae?”

She shrugged. “Fine.” Then she sat down on a stool and looked at her brother cooking excellently. Then from nowhere, she had the feeling to tell her day to Minhyuk. “Oppa.” She called.

“Yes?” Minhyuk answered but he didn’t turn around to face her. He was busy making sure the meat wouldn’t burn.

“Do you remember Kim Jongdae?” She asked.

Minhyuk nodded. “Yes, the love letter guy, right? What about him?”

“I saw him today.”

Minhyuk didn’t need to be a genius to understand what his sister meant. He kept quiet for a while before turning off the stove and put the meat on the plate. He prepared the meal at the dining table, before finally he managed to see his sister face to face. “And then?”

“He looked cool in that outfit. He looked cool and fine with sweat pants and T-shirt.”

Minhyuk smiled. His sister was maybe already growing up. “You should greet him, don’t you think?”

“And tell him what? I’m still embarrassed to meet him after the love letter incident.”

“Well, you can just greet him, you know. Just say hello. It won’t hurt anyone, right?”

Eunji looked at Minhyuk very carefully. “Really? Can I really do that?”

He ruffled her hair. “Of course. Come, let’s call Jinki hyung and Minseok. We should have dinner before it gets cold.”

Eunji stood up and walked to call her brothers. But her steps stopped and she turned around to see Minhyuk. “Oppa, about that..”

“Of course. It’s just for both of us to know.”

Eunji smiled and left Minhyuk.

-

Baekhyun kept looking back and forth, his legs were moving uneasily. This made his best friend confused. “Are you okay?” Jongdae decided to ask.

“I am, I am.” He nodded, but still he didn’t stop moving.

“You sure?” Jongdae asked again.

“Yeah, yeah.”

“Are you waiting for someone?”

Baekhyun only nodded, but his eyes didn’t stop looking back and forth. He was waiting, but the thing was, the person he wanted to meet might be not coming. But no, his guts told him that girl would come. She would come.

And Baekhyun saw her walking in with her friends.

“Oh! You really come!” Baekhyun pointed his finger on her, causing Jongdae turned his head and found her. “Hello, Banana Milk!” Baekhyun waved his hand sassily.

Eunji was stunned, because somehow he called her like that again, loudly and cheerily, as he approached her. Eunji bowed down.

“You really are coming!” Baekhyun’s eyes were sparkling. “Chorong noona, come here for a second!” Baekhyun called a girl, who was giving a drink to a team member, and she rolled her eyes. She looked pretty with jet black hair and bangs, but when she saw her, she smiled.

“Aren’t you the girl that Baekhyun made cried before?” Chorong asked.

“Noona….” Baekhyun slapped her arm. “Don’t remind her of awful memory like that. Now we both are in a friendship term.” Baekhyun smile proudly.

Chorong shook her head. “So? Why are you calling me?” She questioned.

“Jung Eunji wants to be the manager.” Baekhyun said.

Chorong beamed. “Really, like seriously?” She looked at Eunji.

Eunji gazed at Baekhyun and he nodded eagerly. “I do…” Eunji finally said.

“Whoa, that’s good! You can start today!” Chorong clapped her hands. “Because you are a starter, so I will tell you the things you need to take care, okay? Come with me…” Chorong slung her hand on her shoulders and gave a tour around the field.

Jongdae stood beside Baekhyun and shook his head. “You’re bringing her to hell, dude.”

But Baekhyun smirked. “It’s okay, trust me.”

-

Eunji couldn’t sleep that night, so she decided to sleep with one of her brothers. And she chose her oldest brother.

“Oppa…”

She knocked the door and slowly opened it. She found her brother was still sitting on his bed, his attention was on some papers. He smiled seeing Eunji walked in.

“Hello, dongsaeng!” Donghae put the papers on nightstand and waited for his sister to join him on the bed. “You can’t sleep?” He asked as he caressed her hair.

She nodded.

“Something on mind?” He asked again.

She hummed.

“Penny for your thoughts?”

“But promise me you won’t be angry after I tell you this.”

Donghae frowned, but he agreed. He knew his little sister wouldn’t ever make him angry for any reason. “I won’t. Tell me what disturbs my baby maknae, so she can’t sleep.”

“I joined soccer team, becoming the manager this past two weeks…” Eunji started. “… But, oppa, actually there’s a reason why I joined it…” She looked at Donghae, who looked back with a soft smile appeared on his super handsome face. “… There is a guy I like there.”

“Kim Jongdae?” Donghae asked.

Eunji’s eyes widened. “How do you know?” She narrowed her eyes. “Don’t tell me…” Donghae nodded. “Minhyuk oppa promised me he won’t tell you guys!” She buried her face under the pillow. “I will make Minhyuk oppa and Bora eonni break up tomorrow…!” She decided.

“Why? Should it be a little secret between you and him? We are your brothers, Eunji. Siblings share everything. Even our dumb Minseok shares his disgusting habit, dancing half inside the bathroom.” Donghae rolled his eyes on that guy.

Unlike Donghae, Jinki, and Minhyuk, Minseok was the hardcore quirk king. His ways of thoughts, his ways of stating opinions, his ways of taking care their baby maknae, were different. But Donghae knew deep down, Minseok was only a loving adorable guy, who happened to have a similar face with Ahn Sohee, an actress.

“But I’m embarrassed! None of you tell me that you already know!” Eunji pouted.

“We actually are waiting for you to tell about that to us.” Donghae said. “Jinki went ballistic when he got the news. That isn’t ready to see his sister to grow up, you know.”

“And you, aren’t you mad at me?”

“Why should I?” Donghae smiled. “I’m still trying to adapt with that fact, you like someone else and there will be a possibility where you somehow will be his girlfriend, but no, as long as you are happy with your choice, I’ll be happy for you too.”

Eunji hugged him. “You’re such a good brother…” She complimented. “… So, as I was saying, I joined it for a reason. I like him, oppa. I like his gentleness, I like his attitude when he treated me. Is it love, oppa?”

“Does your heart race fast when he is around you?”

Eunji nodded.

“Does he make you smile when you remember him?”

Eunji nodded.

“Then you have the chance to feel how bittersweet it is to be in love. Congratulations, maknae.” Donghae smiled. He glanced at the alarm clock and his eyes rounded. “Look at the time, maknae! We both have to sleep or we will be late for tomorrow!”

Donghae kindly covered his baby maknae with the blanket and tucked her, and smiled hearing soft snores coming out of . He closed his eyes also and went to the dreamland, just like his sister.

Eunji opened her eyes after a while again. She sighed at her memories about Kim Jongdae. Because somehow, whenever Jongdae with her, there would always be Baekhyun around too.

She wasn’t sure her heart raced fast because of Jongdae or Baekhyun.

She wasn’t sure she smiled because of Baekhyun’s lame joke or Jongdae’s response.

-

It’s been three months since Eunji becoming the manager. Even she came there for a reason, she still did a good job. She handed towels for the members, she treated whoever got cut, and she even helped Yoonjo and Chorong to laundry their smelly and dirty clothes.

And always, Eunji would always find a cup of banana milk on her usual sitting spot. She didn’t need to ask who it was, because she knew it already. Some members and the managers , saying Eunji had a secret admirer, but she only shook her head, because she knew her relationship with him was not in romantic ways.

“Baekhyun hyung looks at you again.” Mino informed.

Eunji looked up and found Baekhyun was looking at her direction, but then his eyes shifted.

“I think he likes you.” Mino said.

“Don’t try to make any useless buzz, Mino.” Eunji was asked by Yoonjo to make the monthly finance report of soccer team.

“See, he looks at you again!” Mino clapped his hands. “I bet he likes you. He is the one who gave you banana milks, right? Why would he do that? He didn’t even have to do that. Listen to me, Eunji, you may have your first boyfriend this year!”

Eunji slapped his head with the pen and said, “Once more trash I got from you, I’ll kick your shinbone so you won’t be able to participate for upcoming game.”

Mino pouted but didn’t say anything. Eunji smiled proudly, because she knew how bad Mino wanted to join the game, his first game, wearing the team uniform with number 3 on the back. Happy because there was no longer disturbing sounds, Eunji focused on her task, with Mino, who was still finding out that Baekhyun was sending glances at his friend.

-

Eunji heard the news about Jongdae was getting back together with his ex-girlfriend from different school, named Lee Seyoung. From what she heard, that Lee Seyoung had brunette wavy hair, fairly tall, and a pretty smile. Some said they were looked good to be together.

A rumor came one after another.

Some said they were spotted holding hands at Lotte.

Some said they were spotted almost kissed at the Han River.

Some said Jongdae went to her school and invited her to watch his game, because it would be his first time being the team captain.

And those rumors, even she didn’t know the truth at all, was tearing her apart.

-

When Eunji seemed lost on dinner time, her brothers were sending glances to another. They were worried sick, because it was the first time Eunji became unexcited, when Minhyuk said the dinner was kimchi fried rice, she only nodded, when Minseok said he bought her dozens of banana milk, she only nodded, when Jinki asked about her day, she only muttered “Fine” without looking at him, when Donghae said he bought her a jacket, she only smiled for three millimeters only.

“Eunji, are you okay?” Minhyuk decided to ask.

“Is there anything we can do?” Jinki added.

“We can do anything for you, Eunji…” Minseok added.

“Yes, all you have to do is tell us what happened.”

Eunji didn’t answer. “I’m okay, oppa…” She looked at her dinner and heaved a sigh. “Oppa…”

“Yeah?” All of them answered in unison.

“How do you mend a broken heart?”

Her empty, innocent, meaningless question, was making them sure that their baby maknae has felt the pain of heart broken.

-

Baekhyun realized it was bad, very bad, when Jongdae decided to introduce her to the whole team after the match ended.

It ended flawlessly, by the way. Baekhyun scored three goals *cough cough* for his team, leaving the opposite team with nothing to earn. They were going for the next game on Thursday.

“This is my girlfriend, Lee Seyoung. Seyoung, these all are my team members and managers.” Seyoung bowed down politely to them and so did his friends. Some of the members asked about the rumors, about the kissing and holding hands, what made Seyoung’s cheeks burning. The team members nodded, because those weren’t just rumors, they were all true.

Baekhyun was glancing at Eunji, wished that girl to be okay. He wanted to calm her down, but he was confused. Should he do that? Was that okay? Well, their relationship was only about giving banana milks on her usual spot and she would come to him, thanking for being so considerate.

So when Chorong announced they would go to diner to celebrate their winning, Baekhyun and Eunji unexpectedly refused. Eunji said her brothers were waiting already and Baekhyun used his older brother was coming home for holiday, which a total lie, because his brother was having fun studying in Japan.

And so they were, waited patiently for the bus. Baekhyun already skipped his buses, and he knew Eunji did the same as well. Baekhyun smiled dimly. She needed time to be alone. So Baekhyun took out his earphone and listened to the music blasted out of it. He intentionally lowered down the sound, so he could hear if Eunji mumbled or said something.

“What are you listening to?” Eunji asked, breaking the silence between them two.

Baekhyun was quiet surprised to hear this. “Mr. Mr.” Baekhyun said and he showed her the song. “I’m an official SONE.”

“I hate SNSD.” Eunji said.

“Yah. SNSD is a group of beautiful goddesses, you know? Their slender legs, their pretty faces, and Taeyeon’s high-pitched voice. Whoa, I can live only looking at them.”

“That’s why I disliked them. They are only a bunch of pretty, flawless females, do you know what I mean? And I heard some of them busted dating.” Eunji said. “I disliked Nichkhun right away after I heard the news he dates one of them—’

“—That one of them named Tiffany Hwang.” Baekhyun interrupted her.

Eunji only shrugged.

“And how about you? What group do you like?”

“Beast. I like Doojoon and Yoseob the most.”

“I hate Beast. Even the name is already scary, how about the members?” Baekhyun faked shuddering.

“Yah, Byun Baekhyun.” Eunji looked at him irritatingly

Baekhyun only stuck out his tongue playfully. “You started this, Banana Milk.” He opened his duffel bag and took a cup of banana milk.

“You sure are addicted to that.” Eunji pointed at it.

Baekhyun chuckled. “My mother even said that I could be starving all night long, but I could be dead if I’m not getting this. But what can I say? This thing keeps me alive until today.”

Eunji let out a cynical laugh.

“There.” Baekhyun pointed at her lips. “Don’t be sad anymore, okay? I know, you may think I don’t understand your feeling, I don’t know how painful it is, but trust me, it will heal. Jongdae is dumb for never realized there’s you wanting to be his girlfriend. If I were him, I would be sorry for losing such a big fan. You, Banana Milk, you should be always happy. Your smile is pretty and I like to see it.” He ruffled her hair lovingly.

Eunji sensed her heart beat hardly on his action.

“Here you go.” Baekhyun gave her the cup of banana milk and patted her arm. “It’s your bus. You should go.” He said.

Eunji was startled, but then she nodded and bowed her head slightly to the older. Eunji walked in to the bus, choosing a seat near the window and watched Baekhyun was saying, “See you tomorrow, Banana Milk.” and giving her a lopsided smile.

Eunji looked away, only to realize her cheeks were heating up.

-

Eunji now had a new reason why she liked banana milk even more.

 

 


a/n

FINALLY! I'm finally finding an inspiration for Love Letter's continuation! ^^

 

Anyway, happy reading!