New Year

Happiness! //Baekji Oneshots//


Jung Eunji works at the diner. She met an unordinary guest on New Year’s Eve.

-

The young lady with her jet black ponytailed hair stifled her yawn as she checked her wrist watch. She looked around at the empty diner and frowned. It’s New Year’s Eve, for God’s sake! Instead coming here, she believed people would prefer to go out and watch fireworks or maybe for some people, they would spend quality time with their beloveds. But her stubborn boss slash best friend (Eunji wondered to recheck on his status on his relationship list), Kim Minseok told that people might get hungry after watching fireworks and it’s possible for them to come – at this, Eunji only rolled her eyes.

 

She had this wild idea; what if she just leaves? Minseok wouldn’t find out anyways. That dude was spending his goddamn time with his girlfriend somewhere over the rainbow (Eunji thought this in sarcastic way) and she knew Minseok wouldn’t bother to ask about the diner, because he trusted Eunji so much (and now it’s about to change) – so when she was about to take off her apron, when a figure walked in.

 

“I’m sorry, we are closed—” Eunji trailed off as she watched the figure that now walked in to the diner.

 

He was a fine young lad, with his fluffy black hair and fringe fell over his head. He got a sad frown on his face that made her wonder what has just happened with him and that bouquet of fresh lilies on his grip. Did he just experience a bad breakup? Ouch. It’s such a nice way to end the year.

 

He didn’t look up to greet back Eunji’s smile, instead he walked to the corner and sat down on it with lilies were put on the table. He heaved a deep sigh and finally looked up when Eunji reached him with a polite smile. He returned it with a mere one. Rude, Eunji thought to herself.

 

“What can I get for you?” Eunji asked politely with a warm smile. She was already prepared to write down anything he needed. The best way for a post breakup is eat. So she thought this male would eat much.

 

“A glass of water please.” He replied in a whisper. Thank God, Eunji could catch it.

 

“Okay,” she nodded. “Anything else?” she ceased her brows.

 

“Nope, that will do. Thank you.” That man just shook his head and now he locked his gaze on that stupid bouquet with a saddening puppy look.

 

Eunji gaped, surprised because the male just ordered a glass of water. A ING GLASS OF WATER! IT’S FREE! IT’S ING FREE! But looking at the pathetic male, she just exhaled grumpily before she turned to make his order.

-

Eunji watched him. It’s been the tenth glass of water and he just sat there, with forlorn expression. The diner supposed to be closed since ten minutes ago, but she didn’t have the audacity to bother whatever he was doing in the moment – staring continuously at the lilies was kind of creepy, honestly.

 

“Oh it.” Eunji braced herself as she walked to his table and called him. She did twice but he didn’t even budge a bit. Scared he might get possessed, Eunji shook his body until he got his sense back before he finally looked up and found Eunji was raising a brow at him.

 

“Yeah?” he asked mindlessly.

 

“Can I ask you a question?” Eunji proposed and the male nodded slightly. “Okay. Answer me, customer. Do you buy your necessities if you go to groceries store?”

 

The question was dumb, Eunji could tell from his facial expression. But he nodded anyway. “Yes.”

 

“Do you buy clothes if you go to clothing store?”

 

“Not always, but yes.”

 

Eunji smiled triumphantly. “Great! Then tell me, why don’t you buy food when you’re at the diner?”

 

The question hit him right on his chest, because his facial expression changed from confused to guilty. He really got his sense back now. “Oh.” The man finally understood the situation and he nodded at Eunji. “Okay then, tell me what the best here is.”

 

 Eunji smiled widely as she took her notes. “Because it’s New Year’s Eve and it’s freezing cold, I really recommend you to have chocolate waffles?”

 

“Well,” he shrugged. A small smile slowly grew on him. “I’ll take that.”

 

“How many waffles do you want?” Eunji asked.

 

“Um, how may waffles can you take?” he asked back.

 

“Well, I’m a big-eater so if you ask me, I can have four waffles? I really love waffles.” She chuckled to herself and pressed her lips quiet when the man in front of her now looked at her with an interested gaze.

 

“Well, I’ll take just like what you suggested.” He smiled and continued, “Happy eating.”

 

Now Eunji was confused. “Happy eating—” she was cut off.

 

“I’m not in the mood to eat anything, so instead of letting it becomes waste, why don’t you take it?” he offered. “Just count this as my New Year’s Eve’s treat.”

 

Eunji looked at him, asked what he really was doing now to her but she couldn’t find anything so she just cackled. “Well, I have no right to disagree. Customer is the king.”

 

He laughed. Eunji felt a weird sensation over her spine when she heard him laughing. He was frowning some minutes ago and now he was laughing. Eunji was good at treating people. “Then…, can I get another glass of water please?”

 

Eunji nodded. “Yeah sure.”

-

He stayed for almost midnight – it crossed the closing time for three hours – and he finally moved when Eunji told that she really needed to go home for New Year. Eunji could tell he was watching her preparing to go home and then she bid her goodbye when he called her.

 

“Yes?” she asked, eyes blinking confusedly.

 

“I just had a very bad breakup this evening,” so Eunji was right. “The girl that I thought I’ll be seeing for the rest of my life rejected my proposal because she thinks I’m not rich enough to make her happy.” He let out a small smile – it was saddening. “I’ve been dating her for seven years and she still has that narrow mind…,” he shook his head a little. “I don’t know whether I have to feel thankful or cry a river.”

 

Eunji just listened.

 

“Thank you so much for accompanying me tonight. I hope I didn’t ruin your New Year’s plan.” He shrugged and let out a gummy smile.

 

“No, it’s fine. I don’t have anything to do anyway for New Year.” She paused as she looked at him, “If it was me, I’ll feel thankful because I don’t need to end up with someone like her. But I do really wish you’ll be healed soon.”

 

He reached out his hand and smiled. “I’m Byun Baekhyun, by the way.”

 

“I’m Jung Eunji.” She felt her phone vibrated and realized she really needed to go home. “Oh crap! I really have to go! I’ll see you around, okay?” She waved her hand carelessly before she turned around and left.

-

Eunji couldn’t help not to hide her smile when she approached that table. It was the same one like he used to sit down on New Year’s Eve. It was the first time they met again after New Year’s Eve, a week – hell yeah Eunji counted.

 

“What can I get for you?” she asked, didn’t bother to take out her notes. She knew what he wanted anyway.

 

“A glass of water please.” He still sounded the same, but now his tone was cheerful and he wore a bright smile. Maybe it’s because still early January, or maybe because his baby blue shirt was enchanting her eyes.

 

“Anything else?” She cocked her eyebrow curiously.

 

“Well, what’s the best today?” he asked back with a brighter smile.

 


a/n

happy new year for you! may you will always have happiness in this year! I really miss you all~~