Backfired

Happiness! //Baekji Oneshots//

Baekhyun said something that he soon regretted it.

-

When the school parliament announced their divisions, Baekhyun frowned. He didn’t know that his partner would be a girl and a junior, one year younger than him. Unlike the other divisions, which had three members on the divisions, Baekhyun’s division was different. There would be him and that junior only, since Do Kyungsoo, the School President, thought Baekhyun’s division—Public Relations— didn’t need many members.

Baekhyun took a quick look at the younger. She had round face, with shoulder-length brunette hair, the bangs made her a bit cuter than she should, and unlike what he expected, she was quite calm and relaxed.

“You’re Jung Eunji?” Baekhyun asked and took a seat beside her.

That girl, named Jung Eunji, looked up and nodded slightly. “You’re Byun Baekhyun.”

They both then kept silence. Baekhyun looked at Eunji, who seemed not to be interested to check him out, unlike what the other girls would do.

“Don’t fall in love with me.” Baekhyun stated, a bit unexpected, because the younger rounded her eyes and looked at him.

“Excuse me?” She even raised an eyebrow.

“You will work with me for a year and we will do many things together, so I’m giving you a fair warning before you’re hoping too much from me.”

Eunji gaped, couldn’t believe what the older has just said to her.

“Well, sunbae, you don’t need to be afraid about that. I won’t fall in love with you.”

Baekhyun was actually surprised hearing this came out of , but he kept it cool, because the younger was smiling brightly at him.

Baekhyun had no other options but, “… Good. Make sure that won’t happen.”

-

Working with her wasn’t as hard as he thought it would be. Eunji was good at giving opinions and she didn’t argue a lot with his choices. But what Baekhyun disliked about this girl, was she didn’t talk too much, she remained silent if Baekhyun didn’t ask her to talk. And sometimes, if she was bored, she would be busy tapping her phone or maybe asked her friends, who were also on school parliament, to have some chitchats.

“Yah, Do Kyungsoo, I want to switch.”

Do Kyungsoo looked up, with his big round eyes, and his dark thick brows raising. “What are you talking about?”

“That Jung Eunji…” Baekhyun huffed indignantly, “… She is such a living robot. She talks if only I asked her first. Then she thinks is it okay to leave me to talk to her friends, just like that? Other girls would kill to be my partner. Screw her, Kyungsoo. I want to switch.” Baekhyun also wanted to tell Kyungsoo that she hurt his pride too, but it would make Kyungsoo refusing.

Kyungsoo smirked. Damn, Baekhyun wanted to strangle his friend every time he did that. “I thought you asked me to find a calm and relaxed partner, Baek.”

“Not that calm, dude!!” Baekhyun burst out. “She is insanely quiet, for motherer’s sake. Doesn’t she know who am I? I’m Byun Baekhyun, for crying out loud! She’s not allowed to ignore me like that.”

Kyungsoo smiled menacingly. “So… Actually, you’re mad at her because she ignores you? And you want me to find someone better, in your opinion, the ones that scream when they see you, the ones that cry when they touch you, and the ones that will die only to be with you? Do you want me to find a better one of those bunch raging hormones girls?”

Baekhyun knew he was teasing him. “Just find me someone else, Kyung. I don’t ask you to do anything else.”

Kyungsoo sighed as he undid his necktie. He sat up and gaze fixed at his whiny friend. “Do you want to know why I chose Jung Eunji, out of those girls, Baek?” He smiled. “Because when I interviewed her, she clearly didn’t choose you.” Baekhyun’s jaw dropped. “Can you imagine that? She chose our noisy rapper, Park Chanyeol than you. Unlike those girls putting you as their top ranks to be partners, she simply chose me and Chanyeol. She is not interested to you, that was why I decided to pair you two up.”

“And why the you did that for me?”

“Because maybe… She can be your girlfriend?” Kyungsoo tried to sound reasonable.

“No need to play cupid for me, Kyungsoo. I can find a girlfriend by my own.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes annoyingly.

Kyungsoo smiled. “And may I know how your girlfriends end up finally?” Kyungsoo grinned. Baekhyun didn’t need to answer, because his face answered everything. “As a good friend of you, I really should help you to find the right one. And I think Eunji is good for you.”

“Yeah, right.” Baekhyun scoffed.

“Trust me, Baek. Trust me. She will make a perfect girlfriend.”

“I don’t need a girlfriend.”

“Yes, you do.”

“I don’t.”

“You do.”

“For God’s sake, Kyung, you know nothing about me.”

“I know you better than what you think, Baek.”

“I already told her that she shouldn’t fall in love with me. Seeing her acts like that, I guess your idea won’t succeed.”

Kyungsoo moved a bit and said, “… Then why don’t you fall in love with her first?”

-

It was raining when the meeting was over. All members of school parliament quickly rushed out of the Student Council room with their umbrellas held. Baekhyun walked out the latest, because he was still talking to Kyungsoo about the upcoming Christmas party by their school, when he realized his best friend was signaling him to turn around.

And there he found her.

She was leaning her back against the wall and watched the rain pouring. She pouted hard, maybe because she would go home late because of the rain.

Baekhyun knew he has lost his mind when he walked closer to her and patted her arm. His question was simple, but it made the younger startled. “You’re still here?”

Eunji nodded lightly. “I forgot to bring my umbrella.”

Baekhyun held out his hand and said, “You can use mine…”

Eunji widened her eyes and looked back and forth to the umbrella and the older. But then she shook her head and said, “No, sunbae, it’s okay. Kyungsoo sunbae is waiting for you, you should go home.”

“Leaving you alone?” He raised his brows. “Kyungsoo will cut me to pieces if I abandon you.” Baekhyun then walked to Kyungsoo, whispered something, and then the male with plump lips nodded in understanding.

“Please take care of her, okay?” Kyungsoo patted Baekhyun’s shoulder and then looked at Eunji, “Eunji, see you tomorrow!” Then he left them two alone.

Eunji blinked confusedly at that, and she gazed at the older, who was right now standing next to her, looking at the pouring rain. “What was that?”

“What do you mean?” He asked back.

That.” Eunji pointed at him. “Why don’t you go home with Kyungsoo sunbae? Why are you here?”

Baekhyun smiled. “Well, I asked him to go home by himself, so I can accompany my junior. It’s okay, right?”

Eunji blinked, but then she smiled back at him. “Well, thank you for your nice intention. I do appreciate it.”

And they ended up waiting the rain to stop, with eyes glances at each other. No chit chats, no weather talks, or voices made, because they knew they would be okay as long as they were there together.

-

The school parliament decided to throw a Christmas party, with a male student, named Kim Kibum as the Head of the event.

And it somehow disturbed Baekhyun until the core.

That Kim Kibum guy was sure attracted to his junior, since Baekhyun could really tell the way he looked at her was different, unlike the way Kyungsoo stared at Eunji. The way he smiled at Eunji, trying to show off his charming smile, disgusted Baekhyun. The way he accidentally brushed his fingers on Eunji, wanted Baekhyun to strangle his neck and choke him until his last breath was taken away.

“You’re jealous.” Kyungsoo answered easily as he chewed the rice, after Baekhyun explained to him about his indescribable feelings.

“Do you want to die?” Baekhyun threatened.

“I’m just responding to your story, dude.” Kyungsoo feigned innocence.

Baekhyun sighed. “Can’t someone from the school parliament take over? You, for example. You can be the Head of the Christmas party, right? There’s no need to ask that filthy Kim Kibum to be it. And more, you’re much more experienced than him!”

Kyungsoo slapped his back of head with a spoon. “Are you trying to burden me with more tasks? I have lots of duties to be done, Baek, and I don’t need your unreasonable jealousy to add my burdens.” He looked at the yelping Baekhyun and continued, “… If you like her, then go ask her out. She will be confused at first, but I bet she will like the idea. I see that your relationship is getting better, right?” He smiled menacingly. “I still remember it when she asked you to lend your jacket for her.”

“You bastard.” Baekhyun cursed. “It was one time!”

“Ah, should I spill more?” He chuckled seeing Baekhyun’s reddened cheeks.

“Stalker.” Baekhyun mocked him, trying to make Kyungsoo annoyed.

But the fact that Do Kyungsoo had such a good temper, and he didn’t take things seriously, was only able to make Baekhyun pissed even more.

“I prefer to be called as spectator. I like to watch things, especially when it comes to Public Relations division.”

“You know what, Kyung… In some chances, I’ve been thinking to cut this friendship off and ask you to become strangers, just like Choi Youngdo and Kim Tan did in Heirs.”

“But you can’t, since this Kim Tan knows so many dark secrets of yours…” Kyungsoo stood up, still with a playful smile plastered on his face, then he patted Baekhyun’s shoulder. He then bent over to reach Baekhyun’s ear and whispered, “She’s coming this way… Hello, Eunji!” Kyungsoo waved at her. “… I’m going first!” Then he left the spot.

“Kyungsoo sunbae is glowing.” It was Eunji’s first comment when she sat across him.

“Hmm? Oh… Oh… Well… Yeah.” Baekhyun wanted to cut his tongue for being such a . “What’s your agenda after school?” Baekhyun asked, trying to act casually. “Do you want to grab some ice cream after the school ends?”

Eunji frowned. “Ice cream seems nice, but I’m so sorry, sunbae, I think I’ll pass. I have to accompany Kibum to find decorations for the Christmas party.”

Baekhyun felt his heart was clenched. “Can’t he go with someone else? There are so many members of that committee. Why does he ask you?” Baekhyun couldn’t help the childish jealousy.

“He said the others are busy. And I think there’s nothing wrong about it. We’re friends.”

“But he thinks you more than just a friend…” Baekhyun said in hushed tone.

“What did you say?” Eunji asked.

“Nothing.” Baekhyun huffed indignantly and he continued eating his lunch.

Something was wrong with him.

 

 

“So, dude, you’re sure about it?” A male voice was loud to hear when Baekhyun was inside the cubicle of the rest room.

Baekhyun canceled his intention to get out when he heard a familiar voice answered him, “… Yeah, I plan to ask Eunji after the Christmas party.”

It was Kim Kibum.

Instead of getting out, Baekhyun made sure the cubicle was still locked. He found his heart was beating violently, after hearing it.

“Do you think she will agree?” His friend asked again.

“Of course, she will agree.” What a cocky bastard, Baekhyun thought, “… She seems liking me back. She calls at nights, we’re texting, and she doesn’t refuse when I asked her out. Aren’t those enough to tell that she likes me back?”

And with that, Baekhyun heard the footsteps faltered.

Slowly, Baekhyun opened the door and sighed deeply. There was a pang inside his heart and it made him wanted to smack everything down, especially that Kim Kibum, straight on his nose.

What was it?

Was Kyungsoo right?

Was he jealous?

 

 

“Would you stop staring at me?” Eunji hit his forearm, brought Baekhyun back to life. “It’s burdening. You make me insecure.”

“I’m sorry. I was just thinking…” Baekhyun reasoned. Damn, since when this junior looks very stunning?

“What are you thinking?” Eunji asked as she read the proposal for Christmas party. She underlined few errors with her highlighter.

“Just few things…”

“Such as?”

“What is your ideal type?” Baekhyun asked.

Eunji didn’t shift her eyes as she answered, “… I like someone, who knows how to brighten my mood when I’m in such a worst mood… He has to be funny… Kind too. He also has to be friendly to my friends… I don’t mind with how he looks, as long as he is loyal and patient with me, I’ll like him.”

Baekhyun found himself expecting she was talking about him. That was dumb and immature, but still, he couldn’t help it.

“Do you like Kim Kibum?” Baekhyun shot him a question.

Eunji stopped doing that and blinked for few times, before she turned her head to look at Baekhyun. “Why are you asking something like that?”

Baekhyun shrugged. “I don’t know… Just being curious…”

Eunji took a deep breath before said, “… You’re weird, sunbae.”

With that, Baekhyun didn’t dare to ask her anything else. He kept quiet and waited for Eunji to finish editing the proposal.

-

“I’m doomed.” Baekhyun facepalmed his face and buried himself under the thick blanket.

This was the day. Today Kibum would ask Eunji to be his girlfriend, and remembering what Eunji answered, she avoided answering, it might seem that Eunji would say yes to him. And he had no right to tell her not to do that, because he couldn’t say that he liked her. Not when he was the one, who asked Eunji not to fall in love with him.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “Don’t be such a girl, Baek! Get your up and go shower! The party starts at 5! I can’t be late! I’m the School President!”

“I don’t want to come. I refuse to come.”

“Don’t make me do the hard ways, Baek…” Kyungsoo threatened.

“I can’t go! I can’t go and see something that will break my heart. No, no way for me to go! You go. Go by yourself. I don’t want to go.” Baekhyun was moving like crazy on his bed.

Kyungsoo was already at his nerves, so he pulled the blanket, away, rudely, because Baekhyun screamed, then Kyungsoo pulled the taller down on his bed, didn’t care he was yelping in pain, and dragged him to shower. Being the meanest best friend as ever, Kyungsoo turned the faucet on and let it out very cold water.

“. . . YAH, DO KYUNGSOO! IT’S ING COLD, YOU SHORTIE BASTARD!”

But Kyungsoo already went out, with such a cocky grin created on his face.

“YAH, DO KYUNGSOO! WHY DO YOU LOCK ME UP! OPEN THE DOOR!”

“I WILL!” Kyungsoo screamed back. “AFTER YOU’RE DONE SHOWERING! SO STOP BEING A GIRL AND JUST DO THAT ING SHOWER!”

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t know Eunji would look stunning on her yellow dress. It fitted her perfectly and now he wanted to cover her body by hugging her, because he hated the way the men inside the room staring at her.

She smiled when she found Baekhyun. She walked closer to her and greeted him. Kyungsoo was already gone. “You look good, sunbae.”

“So do you.”

“Thank you. It’s my mom’s, by the way. I don’t really have time to buy dresses like this.”

“Well, tell your mom because she successfully makes her daughter look very admirable.”

Eunji slapped his arm. “You’re overreacting.”

“I’m not. I’m being honest.”

They chatted about the party and the decoration, Baekhyun thought the decorations were too boring, but Eunji insisted they were classic, and they even mocked each other, because their different kind of tastes. But then they chuckled and changed the topics.

Baekhyun really liked her. No, he didn’t want to say he loved her, because for him it was impossible. How could he fall in love with her for such few weeks? So no, this wasn’t love. But again, if this wasn’t love, then how to explain about the disturbing feeling every time he saw her talking, going somewhere, with Kibum?

And the party was finally begun. Kyungsoo was on the podium, giving such a boring speech, and then he gave a chance for Kibum to speak on his behalf.

Baekhyun was guarded when he heard Kibum was about to talk.

“I want to thank you all of you, who would like to spend your times to come to this party, to celebrate Christmas together. I also would like to thank Do Kyungsoo, for giving me such a great opportunity and to my friends on the event organizer, we did great, guys! I’m so proud of you.” Kibum smiled widely to his cheering friends, and Eunji even clapped for her.\

Baekhyun really wanted to throw up.

“… And today, I really would like to dedicate my speech to a very someone special. She, who makes my day cheerful lately. She, who makes me smiling like a fool. She, who is gentle and patient with me…”

Baekhyun glared at Jung Eunji, who seemed not know about this.

“… I would like to use this chance to confess my love to her… Jung Eunji… Are you there?”

Eunji widened her eyes as her name was being called, then the light spotted her. She was confused, blank, and surprised to become such a centre of attention.

“Jung Eunji… Can you step forward, please?” Kibum sounded nervous out of sudden.

Eunji looked at Baekhyun, who looked away. His gaze met Kyungsoo, few meters away from him, who signaled him to do something before things went too far, but Baekhyun shook his head slightly. He had no right against her.

Eunji hesitated but walked to the podium. The cheers were getting louder, and they made Kibum turned redder and more nervous. She stood facing him, but her eyes peeked sneaks to her senior, who was watching the scene helplessly.

“Eunji… Actually, I… I’ve liked you… For a while… You’re pretty… You’re kind… You’re nice too… And you’ve been responding to my signals… I think you like me too…” Kibum sensed his hands were ice cold. “… So… Will you be my— HEY!”

Kibum yelled when Baekhyun suddenly went up to the podium and grabbed Eunji’s wrist, asking her to step down with her without his consent.

“YAH!” Kibum yelled, pointing his finger on Baekhyun, who was running away, exiting the hall along with Eunji. “YAAAAHHH!!!”

But his screams were in vain, they were gone already, leaving all the students shaking their heads and some even looked at Kibum in pity. Kibum fell down on his knees, his face was red because of such sudden embarrassment. When his friends came to ask, he screamed and cursed at them.

But unexpectedly, Do Kyungsoo was grinning as he crossed his hands against his chest. “Cocky bastard.” Kyungsoo commented lowly.

-

“Sunbae… Sunbae… Sunbae…” Eunji was gasping for breath, but Baekhyun had no intention to stop in any minute. Eunji has been running on her heels, and now it started to harm her feet. She needed to stop, or she would walk limping tomorrow.

Eunji tried to pull her wrist away hard, and it enough to make Baekhyun stopped and turned around. His face was red as well and he was also gasping for breath.

“I’m wearing heels, sunbae…” Eunji informed him.

Baekhyun looked down on her feet and nodded. “Ah… I’m sorry.” He let her hand go.

Eunji took off her killing heels and she started to freeze. When they left, they forgot their coats. It was December, and it started to snow. And heck, how could she not be freezing if she was only wearing such a thin dress?

Baekhyun quickly took off his tuxedo jacket and leant it on her shoulder. He also took off his shoes and bent down to put them on her cold feet. Thank God, Baekhyun wore socks. Satisfied with his doing, Baekhyun looked at Eunji.

“You may be confused because I dragged you out.” He said.

Eunji shook her head to his surprise. “I’m not. Actually, I’m thankful you did, because I don’t know what I should do after Kibum confessed.”

“Don’t you like him?” Baekhyun asked.

“I do… I like him… As an older brother and a friend. I like him, just like I do to Kyungsoo sunbae. I never knew he gets different meaning with my attitudes…” Eunji looked at Baekhyun. “But tell me… Why did you drag me out?”

Baekhyun didn’t dare to look away, because somehow the way Eunji looked at him, it made him melted, even it was minus something degree and it started snowing.

“Because… I don’t want to see you dating him.” Baekhyun came out with an honest answer.

“What?”

“I know… I know this is stupid… I know I’m such an idiot. I asked you to not fall for me, but when I see you with that ing Kibum, the way he flirts you, the way he treats you… They really annoy me. I thought it’s because I can’t act like that to you… But then… You suddenly look more enchanting… You look pretty even when you’re tired… You look adorable when you’re grumbling… You even make me want to kiss you every time you pout. You, Jung Eunji… You suddenly become the reason why I’m so excited for school parliament’s meeting… You suddenly become the reason why I’m counting hours for our weekly division meeting… I know it’s not funny… But I think… What I said to you when we first met… Backfires at me.” Baekhyun took a deep breath before continued, “… I think I like you, Eunji.”

Eunji was speechless. She tried to say something to respond, but she closed , canceling her intention to say.

“It’s okay…” It’s not okay, it ing hurts. “… You don’t have to say anything. I understand.”

“What do you understand?” Eunji asked.

Even Baekhyun was confused with her question, Baekhyun still managed to answer, “… That you don’t like me. It’s okay. I understand.” He smiled sadly. “I promise this feeling won’t disturb our business. I’ll try to erase this feeling and I’ll try my best to work well with you. We’re partners, right?”

When Eunji didn’t say anything, Baekhyun really wanted to cry. Okay, after sending the younger home, Baekhyun would barge in to Kyungsoo’s house and forced him to watch Winter Sonata with Baekhyun. Baekhyun would ask Kyungsoo to provide as many tissues as possible. Baekhyun would ask Kyungsoo to buy chocolates and ice cream for him. Baekhyun would try to enjoy his first heartbreak.

“You really are an idiot, sunbae.” It was Eunji’s first respond, after Baekhyun confessed.

Baekhyun looked at her questioningly.

“You’re such a fool. Are you really this dumb, or are you trying to test me?” Eunji stepped closer, even she had hard time with that big shoes, she still managed to walk closer to Baekhyun. “Very well, I’ll say this straightforwardly. I like you, Byun Baekhyun.”

“You do?” Baekhyun sounded unsure.

Eunji nodded. “I like you. Like really really like you. I don’t like you at first, I even despised you for your cocky self, asking me not to like you on my first day being a member. But I think… I started to like you since you accompanied me when it was raining? I found you were not as annoying as I thought. You are nice, so nice, until I’m scared to interpret your kindness wrongly.”

Slowly, Baekhyun took her hand and held it. “So it’s mutual…”

Eunji nodded.

“Can I call you my girlfriend then?”

Eunji smiled.

“Kyungsoo will not really like it…”

Eunji chuckled.

“What if he asks one of us to quit the school parliament?”

Eunji shrugged.

“But who cares, right?”

Eunji tightened her grip on Baekhyun’s, wanted to tell him that it was okay. Even if it was her to quit, she wouldn’t really mind. She had Baekhyun and it was enough for her.

“Oh, by the way… Is Kyungsoo sunbae single?”

Baekhyun nodded. “Yeah, he is. He had a girlfriend at middle school, but broke up. He has been a free single guy for almost two years. Why?”

Eunji shrugged. “A friend of mine asked.”

“And…?”

“And I think Kyungsoo sunbae will fit her. She’s pretty cute.”

“Who is she?”

“My classmate. Her name is Minah, Bang Minah.”

-

Baekhyun didn’t really regret for asking Eunji not to fall for him.

 

 


a/n

the smell of Christmas is really strong, can't help it :3

and Baekhyun looks so cute and the Baskin Robbins CF! <3

 

Anyway, happy reading!