Chances Are

Happiness! //Baekji Oneshots//


 

The young, fine female was standing in front of the aisle with obvious ceased brows traced clearly on her rather youthful face. She placed her point finger over her pinkish lips and her thumb pressed over her chin, eyes glued on the products hesitantly. She huffed inaudibly before picked one of them; it was a stuffed animal formed in elephant, but for split second she shook her head and placed it back on the aisle.

 

What should a 23-years-old auntie should buy for her goddaughter’s birthday, like seriously, what would it be? Because she just had too many thoughts that she might buy. She considered dresses at first, but then she was just one year old – so dresses aren’t really necessary right? Should she just buy babies necessities…, no her best friend would yell at her.

 

So here’s the case; her best friend for almost half of her age – Lee Amy, was finally married to a songwriter she met on her college and now had their first born, a healthy baby girl and today happened to be her first birthday. Her best friend decided to throw a big celebratory party for her and she was already reminded like since three months earlier – even when Amy hasn’t planned anything on her birthday.

 

The girl was desperately confused. If she knew today would happen eventually, she would buy the gift since months ago – but what can she say, work kept her thoughts away, she didn’t even think of eating, how could she remember small things like this? Amy would be furious if she came empty-handed.

 

“Oh come on Eunji,” she slapped the back of her head and yelped in pain. Why would slapping her own head hurt like this? “Just buy a doll that seems expensive and fancy. Yes…, it would shut Amy up and the baby won’t cry when she sees it. Come on Eunji… Ah, should I buy her Barbie?” she stepped to next aisle, where the Barbie dolls were – in all pretty dresses. But for mere second she tilted her head on stuffed animals, they aren’t really bad either. “… If I buy her Barbie, Amy might think I expect her baby to grow thin like this, but…” she sighed again. “If I buy her stuffed animals, Amy might think that I wasn’t thoughtful about the gift.”

 

She was pacing for almost three minutes before finally realized that the party would begin in two hours. Frick. She even hasn’t showered yet! And makeup! And picking dress! Goodness, what should she do?!

 

Just right then, as if God finally hears her grumbles, there’s a figure walked by. He was wearing white shirt and black pants on, with bright blond hair that weirdly fitted the boyish, childish image of his. Catching him off-guard with hold his wrist, he widened his eyes a little and managed to see Eunji confusedly.

 

“Yes?” he asked, startled.

 

“Do me favor please.” Eunji replied and then picked Barbie doll and the elephant stuffie, definitely desperate for help. “Pick one.”

 

“Huh?” he blinked, in pure amaze.

 

“Pick one,” she repeated. “You’re working here so I believe you could pick the best. So here it goes…, I’m having a niece, one year old, very pretty when she smiles and I really love her and her mother, the thing is that today is her birthday and I was kind of skipped…, no I literally forgot her birthday…” she trailed off as she realized the male in front of her was smirking. You’re rambling head, she told herself and nibbled her lower lip. “So yeah…, I need to give her something that seems fancy but also thoughtful. Help me there okay?” Seeing the male was hesitant, she quickly added, “I’ll talk to your manager! No? Supervisor? Or what is it again…, don’t really understand how the store works but I swear to God I’ll tell them that they have an amazing employee here, and also look so charming.”

 

Eunji didn’t give any damn when the boy widened his eyes, definitely now thinking that she might flirt with him. The hell with his thoughts about me, I need a gift in a minute! “So?” Eunji tried.

 

The boy finally dropped his eyes over the dolls on her hold, took him a moment, with the pout that was created on his pinkish, healthy, is that also kissable… Eunji made a mental slap on her dirty thought and shook her head to get her sense back.

 

But then he picked neither of them and stepped to the aisle where the stuffed animals were and picked a bear stuffie from it; it was cute with ribbon on top of its head, fluffy, and of course any girl would love to have one.

 

“Since it’s a girl…, I don’t think she would find elephant is adorable when she grows up. But teddy bear, no one can deny a teddy bear.” He smiled gently at her and Eunji’s heart might stop for a moment. “And also…, it seems expensive.” He created those mere slits when he smiled and again, her heart thumped.

 

Eunji cleared and also her head before letting out a polite, grateful smile in return. “Thank you. Um…, should I  ask for bill this or—”

 

“I think, you can just go to cashier and pay. You’re running out of time right?” he kindly pointed at the nearest cashier counter and Eunji let out another smile.

 

“Thank you so much! I’ll definitely tell your boss later okay? Have a good day you!” she waved the bear at him and stormed to the cashier.

 

While waiting for her turn, something tickled her mind. How does he know I’m running out of time? Did I say it out loud?

**

The male put on the bill on the counter and the employee bowed politely to greet him. “Oh you’re smiling today, boss. Something good happened?” she asked with a polite smile and the male lightly nod his head.

 

“Don’t you think today is a good day to buy gifts for babies, Chaeyeon-ah?” the way he smiled back could have made a day seemed so much brighter.

***

“I’ll definitely kill you if you don’t bring anything for your goddaughter.” Amy squinted as she gazed at her just walked in best friend. But next second she grinned as Eunji raised her hand and showed a paper bag. “OH YOU DON’T FORGET!” She squealed and gave her best friend a hug.

 

“It seems like I won’t receive any hug if I didn’t bring anything for Leah,” she rolled her eyes and Amy just grinned. She caught her wrist and embraced her, taking over the gift. But before she let Eunji met her goddaughter, she checked the contents first.

 

Eunji waited with a smug smirk, and as soon as Amy raised her head, she let out the most snobbish smile. “I won’t forget. Leah is just like a daughter for me.” She literally said that to make Amy fawn over her.

 

“Such a great best friend! I wasn’t mistaken to choose you as her godmother. Come here. I’ll introduce you to some of my husband’s friends,” she dragged Eunji to living room, and turned out it was a very big party.

 

There were so many guests that Eunji might never saw before. She greeted her high school’s friends, college’s as well. They made fun of Amy since she married the earliest while her dreams of becoming a wife used to be at the age of mid-thirties. Eunji met everyone and she just couldn’t wait to have a hold of Leah.

 

“There she is, my beautiful baby—oh Baekhyun is holding her. Come here Eunji, meet my husband’s best friend. He just moved from States to work as a manager in Seoul’s shopping store.” Amy explained and Eunji just nodded carelessly.

 

But there’s something so familiar about him; his yellow, bright blond hair, the broad shoulders, did she ever see him somewhere else? Eunji thought if he took off his blue sweater and denim pants and changed to white shirt and black slacks, she would really think that it was the person she met at…

 

Eunji couldn’t finish her reverie as soon as Amy tapped his back, he turned and their gazes met in the air.

 

Eunji was starstruck; eyes, lips, nose were paralyzed.

 

He those pinkish, kissable lips and stepped closer to reach her, still with Leah on his grip. Now that he wore the sweater rolled up to elbow, she could notice light blood vessels on his lower arms.

 

“Hi again,” he greeted in friendly gesture, always didn’t forget to put on that gentle smile. “You look so good in white.” He complimented, earnest. “This afternoon… and right now.”

 

He remembers?! He ing remembers!

 

“Oh so you two already met?” Amy seemed surprise but then she created a smile. “Baekhyun-ah, this is my best friend that I always talk about, oh also Leah’s godmother, Jung Eunji. Eunji-ya, this is my husband’s best friend and also Leah’s godfather, Byun Baekhyun.”

 

“… Well, hi.” Eunji chuckled nervously at him.

 

He cackled in same way as Eunji, but the tone of his laughter was relaxed. “Hi.”

 

 


September 25th 2016

anyone knows what is the cure of insomnia?

happy reading!♥