Let Go

Happiness! //Baekji Oneshots//


The guy took off his coat only to wear it the moment after. Summer has been too hot and if he didn’t wear long sleeves, his skin would get tanned because of the sunshine. That guy just clicked his tongue and continued his doing, entering the small shop at the corner of the street.

“Oh, here he is!” the female with long caramel hair pointed her index finger on him, with a smile that brightened the room. She walked hurriedly to him and caught his arms, still smiling widely. “I thought you wouldn’t make it…,”

The guy took off his coat and put it on his hand, followed her steps to the couch. She wasn’t alone, there was another man was there and when they arrived, her hand that was on his arms, loosened and she went to sit beside the man, leaned her head on his chest playfully.

“So Baekhyun oppa…,” the female called the guy with light caramel hair – just like hers but his was lighter – and the guy looked up. There’s something thundered inside his chest when he saw the man pecked her lips only to earn a playful chuckle from the female. “Don’t do this…,” he heard her whispered, “Baekhyun oppa is here…,”

The man glanced at him, gave a small smirk that only responded with a snort from Baekhyun. After all these chasing and trying stuffs, Baekhyun ended up as the loser. After all these years trying to win her heart, Baekhyun ended up as the man who can’t be moved.

It wasn’t fair; Baekhyun has been all along, began from the start line, and then another man, him, came from the middle and ran faster than he could to get the finish line – with her as the prize. It really wasn’t fair.

But again, there’s no fair game after all. You’ll end up either losing or winning – no other in between.

“Baekhyun oppa, you’ll be singing for us, won’t you? Taemin wants to make sure for the arrangement…, he says he doesn’t want things to mess up later.” Baekhyun caught a glimpse of her fiancé looked smug and Baekhyun just nodded thinly.

“What song you will sing for us, hyung?” Baekhyun sensed he mocked him with that hyung. “Just want to write it down on the list…,” he quickly added with a meaningful smile. “If you haven’t prepared anything…, just want to suggest though, don’t take it personally… I suggest maybe Tell Me Why? It Has To Be You? The Person Who Once Loved Me? Love Is Crying?”

His fiancée pouted cutely, it was too cute that Baekhyun wanted to pull her chin closer to kiss her breathlessly. “What’s with those songs, babe, they are all breakup songs…”

He just shrugged it off. “Who knows…” he didn’t continue his words and Baekhyun was sitting uncomfortably with the smile that still etched on his lips.

“I’ll think about other song,” he stood up and pretended to check his watch. “But now I’m running late, so I’ll just text you later, okay, Minah?” Baekhyun smiled and he marched out, leaving the shop.

He leaned his back against the door and sighed exasperatedly.  Baekhyun has been crushing his hoobae in the university since long time ago, maybe since Bang Minah asked him where the washroom was. He has liked her eye-smile, her smiling face, her singing, her hugs, and her chatty talks. Baekhyun has liked her since forever, but he didn’t have enough courage to confess – because most times Minah said she’s lucky to have Baekhyun has her oppa, oppa not in loving way.

So when that kid, another hoobae from different major, Lee Taemin came and showed his affection to her with those cheesy, corny loving ways to her, Baekhyun knew he was lost. When Taemin announced proudly that they are dating (with the smug smile to Baekhyun), Baekhyun knew he was the loser. When Taemin announced their engagement on Baekhyun’s birthday party, Baekhyun knew he was ed up.

Baekhyun has lost and being fooled around with a cheater, a cheater that played unfairly and bragged about the reward.

“It’s not fair,” Baekhyun clasped his knuckles until they whitened. “This is so not ing fair,”

-

Baekhyun sat down on the bench at the park, trying to get a hold on himself. Minah was going to be married in seven days and he really shouldn’t blame himself for his cowardice. It’s settled and there’s no way Minah would come to him.

The bench was already occupied at the time he was there. There was a young fine female sitting on bench, writing some notes down. She hummed along when she wrote and Baekhyun bobbed his head up and down, following her beat.

She was a good singer, Baekhyun could tell.

“Do you know…,” Baekhyun paused and he turned his head to see her. “That your lies are visible on your facial expression?”

Baekhyun furrowed his brows and she glanced up to meet his eyes. “Excuse me?” he asked questioningly. Did she talk to him?

“You’re regretting something, aren’t you?” she pointed his face with her pen. “Your face shows everything, as if you were losing something that means so dearly much for you…,” she put her pen on the paper and tossed them aside on the bench. Her hands squeezed tightly on her lap. “Your facial expression was exactly same as mine when I lost the most important person.”

Baekhyun blinked twice in confusion but somehow attracted to her story. “You did?” he asked calmly.

“I did,” she nodded and sighed. “He was a very best friend of mine, I knew him since long time ago. We were good friends, are good friends, but he didn’t know my feelings at all.” she shrugged. “I blamed myself almost every second in life when I got the invitation…,” she didn’t continue her words, as if waiting for Baekhyun to end it.

“He got married…” he whispered unbelievably.

“Yeah,” she nodded bitterly. “To my other best friend, a friend that always I thought won’t ever betray me, a friend that I kept telling about my feelings to him.” she nibbled her lower lip. “I kept thinking about what ifs, what if I come forward and tell him about my feelings, what if I never tell her about this, what if things were different. You know what happened??” she turned her neck so Baekhyun could see her facial features – oval face, flat nose, slanted eyes, and pretty smile even it seemed to be bitter.

“What?” Baekhyun found himself asking.

“I blamed myself even worse. I blamed myself and I almost hurt myself. It was dark times, I tell you.” she took deep breath and pressed his lips into a thin line. “It took me four months to heal my wounded heart and started to open myself to them again,” she let out a small smile. “I wish you won’t be like the old me, because really…, you’re only wasting your time for useless things.” she took her things and prepared to leave, but she paused when she got a response.

“… I’m not sure I can do it. I love her just too much and I don’t think I can afford to see her in a dress I always dream to turn it real…,” Baekhyun gulped and pressed a hand on his head. “I can’t get her in my mind…, I don’t think I can get her out from my mind,”

She turned around and gave Baekhyun another small smile, it was just a mere slit but Baekhyun found it was beautiful, just like the smile Minah always had. “You can start with going to her wedding,” she said. “I didn’t come to his wedding and it saddened me to the core, it made me feeling worse because I was such a coward.”

“Do you really think coming to her wedding will make me stop loving her?” Baekhyun asked sarcastically,

“Nope,” she shook her head. “But it helps you to come to your sense, she’s taken and deserves to be happy.” That female gave a slight bow to Baekhyun before turned her heels to leave the park.

Baekhyun leaned his back against the bench and closed his eyes, thinking. She was right, in any terms. She was right about blaming himself, she was right about wasting times for useless things, and she was right that Baekhyun planned not coming to Minah’s big day.

Baekhyun turned his head and accidentally his eyes met the paper and the pen, he was sure those were belonged to the female he met before. Baekhyun looked back and forth for few times before he reached out his arm to get the paper. He was curious what she has been writing down on it.

It was few lines of writing – it was either a lyric or poem or just trash she wrote down to release the stress.

With a fluttering heart, without knowing

I went to you, step by step

And I stayed by your side

 

My heart melts at your smile

When our eyes meet

My heart pounds

But Baekhyun thought it was beautiful.

 

Sometime later, when the sun was still shining brightly, the female with gasping breathe went to the bench and clicked her tongue. As expected, her pen and the paper were gone already. She sighed and frowned deeply, before she walked away, leaving the park with rumpled mind.

-

Baekhyun was sitting recklessly on his seat, staring at the couple in the middle of the room laughing and teasing each other. Minah was so beautiful with the white dress and her hair was styled into a bun with the fringe over her forehead. Taemin too looked fine with his tuxedo that seemed to be made only for him.

“We are so thankful for everyone that coming today and give us your blessings, we are so lucky and happy to have met all of you…,” Minah said and the guests were all smiling at the newlywed. Baekhyun scanned the room and as if he was daydreaming, he was sure that he saw the girl that familiar to him lately. Baekhyun blinked several times and when he looked around again, the girl was already gone.

“I drink too much,” Baekhyun whispered to himself.

“…. Personally, I really am thankful to Baekhyun oppa,” Baekhyun gazed up when his name was mentioned. Minah was smiling at him. “I am thankful and happy because I have you, you had my back when we were still students, you treat me very well, just like an oppa taking care of his younger sister. Words won’t help me to thank you, oppa… I’m just, so grateful to have you in my life.”

Baekhyun wasn’t sure whether he already lost his feelings to her or because he was still hangover because too much beers he drunk night before, but his heart didn’t thump that rapid anymore. It still races, but it was calmer.

“And Baekhyun oppa promises me to sing today,” Minah added and Baekhyun gaped. “Come on, oppa, you promised me.” Minah begged cutely that she believed no one would ever resist. Baekhyun used to fall in love with that.

Baekhyun stood up slowly and went to the band near the couple was stood. He took over the microphone and opened the paper. “I didn’t prepare anything decent to be honest,” he said. “I promised Minah to sing for her wedding and because it’s wedding and I believe wedding is special, so I made something special for her. I composed this song.” he smiled at Minah and unhappy Taemin. “It’s not that good, but I wish you all to enjoy this.” Baekhyun turned to give the paper to the pianist so they could accompany him for the music.

Baekhyun found the pianist was just sitting on her seat, hands on the piano. Baekhyun paused though, when he realized who it was.

It was the girl on the park, the girl that talking about how to let go.

She looked up too because she didn’t see the singer was handing him anything, and her eyes widened as wide as Baekhyun’s. She was speechless when Baekhyun gave the paper to her. She did a quick glance on the paper and snorted – it was the paper she left behind on the bench. It was her writing, but now it was longer because the male has written down more lines on it.

“Your special someone is Minah?” she asked quietly.

“Yeah,” Baekhyun nodded. “Should we talk after I sing?” he offered.

“Yeah,” she smiled. “Yeah, we should.”

-

After the song was finished, Baekhyun bowed to the guests and walked down from the stage with the female walking in front of him. She led him to the quiet hall, out of the ballroom and she looked at Baekhyun expectantly.

“Don’t you know I was desperate looking for that?” she pointed at the paper.

“No, I don’t.” Baekhyun shook his head. “But I don’t regret for taking it away actually.”

“Why?” her brows were rose.

“… Because it led me to meet you again,” Baekhyun replied. “Jung Eunji,”

Her cheeks reddened and Baekhyun smiled, before he did ask Minah about the band and Minah told him that her friends would play for her wedding, and he did mention Jung Eunji as the pianist.

“It was just a random writing,” Eunji admitted. “But you managed to turn it into a beautiful song,” she chuckled. “You really are talented, Baekhyun.”

“Byun Baekhyun,” he corrected. “My name.”

“You really are talented, Byun Baekhyun…,” Eunji repeated and Baekhyun cackled softly at this.

“The couple may lead the first dance.” The MC said cheerily from the inside and the classical music was played after that.

Baekhyun glanced at the girl and Eunji seemed nervous as well. Baekhyun was ready to let go, and to be honest he didn’t mind to pass it with this girl in front of him, because Baekhyun believed two was better than one.

So he let out the question that Eunji maybe has been waiting for since the MC announced happily. “Jung Eunji, can I have this dance?”

 


a/n

*cringe* *shameless baekji shipper* bring my sense backkkkkk /wailing/