The Merits of Stickers

Baek to the Basics

Chewing his bottom lip, deep in thought, Baekhyun trotted through the busy city square after Chanyeol, his Giant’s gift clutched tightly in his hands. Baekhyun had begged Chanyeol the last time that they went shopping for something that had caught his eye and, the next morning, he had awoken to a surprise sitting on the end of the bed; a sticker book. The very one that Baekhyun had wanted.

Baekhyun carried his prize everywhere and would jump at the chance to tell passerby’s – anyone who would spare a second to listen – about the gift that his Giant had gotten him. Pinkie Pie, his once prized possession (along with his miniature teddy bear hood that he kept under his pillow) was now lost; forgotten, stuffed down the side of the bed. It couldn’t compare to Chanyeol’s newest gift.

As proud of the sticker book as he was though, there was something about it that worried Baekhyun about it, but he just couldn’t seem to think of what. Scowling at the – still mint condition – book, Baekhyun slowly read over the bulky text that decorated the cover.

My JUMBO Sticker Adventure, it read. Big Stickers for Little Hands.  A dragon rested, curled up in a ball in the center of the cover; a castle resided on a tall hill in the background.

When Baekhyun had found the sticker book in the supermarket some days before, he immediately fell in love with the cover – the slumbering dragon and the world of fantasy. He had every intention of decorating the hallways walls of Chanyeol’s apartment with tiny dragon stickers (be that with or without Chanyeol’s permission) and, after several attempts to sneak the sticker book into the shopping trolley without Chanyeol’s knowing, he had convinced his Giant that he could not live without it. Chanyeol wanted him to always be happy.

At first, Baekhyun couldn’t bring himself to open the sticker book – to peel off the thin coat of plastic that encased it. He didn’t want to wake the sleeping dragon on the cover and scolded Chanyeol whenever the other spoke too loudly near the book.

Mister Giant, please!” Baekhyun would whisper. “You’ll wake Mister Dragon!”

But now, Baekhyun didn’t want to open the sticker book for other reasons. Hurrying after Chanyeol, Baekhyun reached out with an arm, taking hold of the sleeve of Chanyeol’s turtle neck jumper, his eyes cast downwards. Immediately, Chanyeol slowed his pace, guiding Baekhyun to the side of the bustling city square.

Drawing in a sharp breath, Baekhyun slowly lifted his gaze to meet Chanyeol’s, the other’s face twisted with worry.

“Is everything alright?” Chanyeol asked softly, looking Baekhyun up and down. “Do you feel unwell?”

Baekhyun shook his head, extending the hand that clutched the sticker book out to Chanyeol.

“I can’t have this,” he said sadly. “Please return it.”

Chanyeol’s brows arched in confusion as he took in Baekhyun’s words. He wasn’t sure why Baekhyun had stopped him in the middle of the city just to tell him that, but perhaps what puzzled Chanyeol the most was the fact that, just a few days ago, Baekhyun had convinced him that there was nothing in this world that Baekhyun wanted more (except maybe Chanyeol himself) and that he could not possibly fathom life without the sticker book.

“And why is that?” he asked slowly. To his surprise, Baekhyun let out a quiet sniff, gesturing to the cover of the book.

“It says ‘big stickers for little hands’,” Baekhyun read aloud, underlining each word as he said it. After he was sure that Chanyeol was still confused, he uncurled his free hand and held it out to Chanyeol once more. “I don’t have little hands anymore,” he whispered, sadly. “Please return it. I’m sorry you wasted your money on me.”

For several moments, Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun in disbelief before his lips tugged upwards into a broad grin and he laughed.

“No!” Baekhyun whined. “This is serious!”

When Chanyeol’s laugh grew louder and he clutched his sides, Baekhyun puffed out his cheeks in annoyance, his hands on his hips, the sticker book bent under his grip.

“Please stop laughing!” he pleaded, desperation setting in. “I’m sorry! But I don’t have little hands, I can’t-”

Chanyeol drew in a sharp breath, his cheeks hurt from smiling. “You can still use the stickers,” he said lightly. “My little bunny is so cute.”

“But I can’t!” Baekhyun insisted, brandishing the sticker book at Chanyeol once more. “It says here ‘for little hands’! I don’t have them!”   He read the title slowly, clearly – putting as much emphasis on the word ‘little’ as he possibly could.

Baekhyun was overwhelmed with emotion quite foreign to him. He was upset, disappointed and … Angry. He wanted Chanyeol to stop laughing at him and take him seriously. Baekhyun wasn’t ‘little bunny’, he was Baekhyun and he was trying to apologise – to resolve an issue.

“What am I supposed to do, Baek?” Chanyeol chuckled. “Bring it back to the refunds counter and say ‘I have to return this, my hands are too big?’ That won’t work.”

“Oh yes it will!” Baekhyun insisted, his arms folded across his chest; his eyes were narrowed in determination.

“No, bunny. It won’t.”

No!”

Baekhyun stomped his foot, turning away from Chanyeol. Why couldn’t he understand that Baekhyun was trying to apologise?  That he wanted to make it up to Chanyeol? Of course he would be able to return it. The sticker book cost Chanyeol five big silver coins! Baekhyun couldn’t fathom how Chanyeol was so willing to let all of that money go to waste.

With a shake of his head, Baekhyun stepped away from Chanyeol, his gaze fixed on the paved ground. He was going to return the sticker book (and, regrettably, Mister Dragon), whether Chanyeol wanted him to or not. 

And that was final.

 

 


 

 

Baekhyun didn’t speak to Chanyeol at all on the way home to the apartment, nor did he so much as utter a word for the remainder of the evening. It hurt his heart to ignore Chanyeol but Baekhyun knew that if he spoke to Chanyeol, he would reveal his plans of sneaking off in the middle of the night to return the sticker book. Would the supermarket even be open? If not, he would have to wait outside until morning.

Chanyeol missed those silver coins – he just didn’t know it yet. And Baekhyun wanted to show him just how grown up he could be by returning the sticker book. He wasn’t ‘little bunny,’ he was Baekhyun: Leader of Cape Crew.

Seeing himself to bed early – and without supper – Baekhyun sifted about restlessly. He wanted to repay Chanyeol, but ignoring him seemed so … Painful. It hurt him, his heart and his mind. Pinching his eyes shut tightly, Baekhyun whined quietly.

This was something he had to do.

Laying his head on the pillow, Baekhyun exhaled quietly; he did not move and, when Chanyeol whispered a quick ‘Goodnight, bunny,’ to him, Baekhyun felt his heart break. Instead, he pretended he was asleep, his back kept to Chanyeol and, it wasn’t until the other was sound asleep did Baekhyun prop himself up on his elbows.

“Goodnight,” he whispered in response before quietly wriggling his way out from under the blankets.

Snatching the sticker book up from the bedside table, Baekhyun crept down the dark hallway. No matter how much he squinted, it was almost impossible to see what was in front of him. Extending one arm out in front of him, Baekhyun trailed his fingertips along the wall, directing his way through the darkness. The floorboards were too loud and Baekhyun didn’t want to risk waking Chanyeol, so making a quick turn, he crept into the lounge.

Baekhyun felt the pain wash over before he realised the coffee table was there. Toppling forward, Baekhyun’s forehead connected with the corner of the wooden table and an earsplitting scream left his lips.

The bedroom light flicked on almost immediately; a weak light flooding into the hallway. Panicked, Chanyeol fumbled down the hallway and out into the living room where he found Baekhyun, still sprawled across the coffee table – sobbing.

“Bunny,” Chanyeol whispered, helping him to his feet. “My sweet Baekhyun.”

Brushing back Baekhyun’s hair, Chanyeol ran his fingers across Baekhyun’s forehead gently, checking for any bumps. Maybe Baekhyun had knocked something else? His leg, perhaps.

“Baek,” Chanyeol cooed softly. “Where do you hurt?”

Sniffing, Baekhyun raised a shaky hand and pointed to the spot just above his right eyebrow. With a small smile, Chanyeol leant forward, pressing his lips against Baekhyun’s forehead. The other stopped crying immediately.

“Better?” Chanyeol asked and Baekhyun shook his head, pointing to his lips.

“I hurt here, too.”

A broad grin spread across Chanyeol’s face and he closed his eyes, leaning towards Baekhyun once more. in a sharp breath, Baekhyun waited; his head didn’t hurt anymore but now, his mind was spinning. From the corner of his eye, something caught Baekhyun’s attention.

“Oh! The stickers!”

Turning his attention to the (somewhat crumpled) sticker book that lay on the coffee table, Baekhyun’s eyes widened when he felt Chanyeol’s lips brush across his cheek. When Chanyeol’s soft chuckle reached his ears, the blood rushed to Baekhyun’s cheeks.

“You moved,” he said simply. Baekhyun looked frantically between the sticker book and Chanyeol – the kiss that he had just missed out on. That wasn’t supposed to happen!

“At least your cheek doesn’t hurt now, right?”

Baekhyun shook his head, pointing at his lips once more. “No, but I still hurt here.”  

 

 

 

NO KISSES FOR YOU.
Yet.

So aside from requesting , a lot of you seem
to want to see some sort of progress in their relationship.
Fights. Couples fight. It's natural.
This is the most badass fight in the world.
 

 

Nayang requested a fight scene and fluff.
Blueboicegirl requested a table bump~
Credits to these two for the lovely chapter idea!
<3

Sorry for the delay in this, I've been working on the
update for my Kaisoo mafia!au, Bird Cage.
(It's coming, I promise. xD)
It was also my birthday this week.
My friends have dragged me out every day following. 
;_________________;
Blehhhh. Socialising. D:

 

To everyone who celebrated - Happy Thanksgiving!
(We don't celebrate it in Australia. What's Pumpkin Pie like?)

 

 

It's 2:47am
I apologise for any awkward sentances or terrible spelling.
Time for bed.