What's eating Baekhyun's grapes?

Baek to the Basics

“Baekhyun’s changed,” Chanyeol said, his voice low. He sat at Joonmyeon’s kitchen table, a platter of fruit between them. Baekhyun sat at his side in content silence, swinging his legs back and forth under the chair, his fingers entwined with Chanyeol’s under the table. “Since remembering, he’s a lot more confident.”

Joonmyeon arched his eyebrows at his friends statement. “And-” he began, plucking a grape from the fruit platter and passing it to Jongdae who sat, perched on his shoulder. Jongdae grinned greedily, popping the grape into his tiny mouth whole, his cheeks puffing out in attempt to make room for the piece of fruit.

“Mmmph!” he squeaked, his little arms flailing about in an attempt to get Joonmyeon’s attention.

With a roll of his eyes, Joonmyeon scooped Jongdae off his shoulder, ensuring the tiny being didn’t choke on the grape before turning his attention back to Chanyeol. “Do you like that Baekhyun is more confident? I don’t really see a problem with that change.”

 Chanyeol’s gaze moved from Joonmyeon to Baekhyun, and then to their entwined fingers. Truthfully, he did not mind that Baekhyun was a lot more confident, in fact, he was more than happy that his Bunny was as confident as he, if not more so. But it didn’t feel like the relationship they once had. Now, it was Baekhyun calling the shots – Baekhyun in the lead. Chanyeol felt that it was no longer him taking care of his Bunny, but his Bunny taking care of him.

Each morning following Baekhyun’s remembering, he would sneak out of bed leaving Chanyeol to sleep in and surprise his Giant with a delicious breakfast in bed, complete with a small flower in a vase. Each day, Baekhyun would remind Chanyeol of the simplest things; ‘don’t forget your jumper, it’s a little chilly outside,’ or chide him for working too hard on a painting – ‘You’ll hurt your eyes if you keep squinting. Don’t forget to eat!’

In truth, it was Baekhyun’s new attitude (and need to take care of Chanyeol) that made the Giant flustered, which then in turn lead to him getting lectured by Baekhyun. ‘Why is your face all red? Are you unwell? I told you not to go outside without a jumper. Go to bed, Mister Giant. I’ll go make you some tea.’

“Yeah,” Chanyeol sniffed, his gaze moving back to Joonmyeon – and Jongdae, who was attempting to climb down Joonmyeon’s arm to retrieve another grape. The breath caught in Chanyeol’s throat when he felt Baekhyun trace a thumb over his knuckles and he didn’t have to look at him to know that his Bunny was smirking. “I like Baekhyun being more confident, it’s just – “

“Mister Giant isn’t used to not taking care of me,” Baekhyun interrupted smoothly, giving Chanyeol’s hand a quick squeeze. “Nor is he used to me, well, being me.”

Chanyeol allowed his shoulders to slump and he leaned back into his chair. Baekhyun was absolutely right. He had become so used to watching – and worrying – over Baekhyun daily that something just didn’t feel right.

“He’s not used to me being mature, either,” Baekhyun added proudly. Leaning forward in his chair, he puffed out his chest importantly. Extending his free hand, he plucked a grape from the bunch.

“Mature?” Joonmyeon asked, his brows raised. “Oh yes, I can see that. You are very mature, Baekhyun.” He paused for a moment, his chin cupped in thought. “Say, the boys have finished with the newest season of My Little Pony. Would you care to borrow it?”

Baekhyun’s eyes lit up immediately and he bounced in his seat. “Can I?” he beamed. “Can I really? Oh, yes please!”

Tch,” Jongdae snickered, stealing the grape from between Baekhyun’s fingers, quickly taking a large bite from the fruit. When he talked, he sprayed grape juice over the tablecloth (and dribbled it down his shirt). “Mature indeed!”

Deciding that something was bothering his friend, Baekhyun remained silent. Quickly plucking another grape from the bunch, he turned to Chanyeol, pressing the fruit against his Giant’s lips softly. Pleased when Chanyeol accepted the fruit, Baekhyun turned his attention back to the bunch of grapes once again, only to have Jongdae steal the grape from him once more.

Again and again, Baekhyun would pluck a grape from the bunch and each time that he did, Jongdae would snatch the fruit from him, take as big a mouthful as he could – spraying the area around him with juice – and let the grape fall to the table.

“What’s your problem?” Baekhyun snapped, his eyes widening when he realised that Jongdae had remained concealed behind the fruit bowl, his actions gone unseen by Joonmyeon.  Letting out a – very loud - sniff, Jongdae lifted his tiny hands into the air innocently and circled around the fruit bowl, his eyes glassy with tears.

Baekhyun,” Joonmyeon chided, scooping Jongdae up with one hand and returning the tiny being to his shoulder. After making sure the (now hysterically sobbing) little one was okay, Joonmyeon turned his attention back towards Baekhyun.  “What was that for? Why did you make him cry?”

Baekhyun’s jaw dropped in disbelief. His eyes travelled to Jongdae who stood on Joonmyeon’s shoulder. He was no longer crying, instead, a wide smirk twisted across his face. Angering Joonmyeon was the last thing Baekhyun had wanted to do.

“Jongdae, he – I mean, I – “

“What’s eating your grapes?” Joonmyeon questioned, his voice low, annoyed.

 Jongdae’s smirk grew wider as he watched on from the safety of Joonmyeon’s shoulder. ‘I am,’ he mouthed.

 


 

 

A scowl twisted Baekhyun’s lips downwards as he watched Jongdae carefully. His friend didn’t usually behave in such a manner, and even though Baekhyun thought Jongdae really deserved to be snapped at, he really was sorry for speaking to his friend in such a harsh manner.

Jongdae, on the other hand, reclined on the arm of the couch, his hands tucked behind his tiny head and gaze fixed firmly on the ceiling. Heaving a heavy sigh, he his side, his big eyes staring up at Baekhyun intently.

“How do you get somebody to like you?” he asked after a long moment of silence.

Baekhyun’s eyes widened in surprise. “W-what?” he stammered, shocked. “Who do you want to like you?”

“Jisoo,” Jongdae said quietly, turning to stare back up at the ceiling once more.  “She likes some computer game – League of something, I don’t really remember what it’s called – and some boy band called U-Kiss. But I don’t understand, though. I’m better than both of those things, but I don’t think she likes me.”

A small smile tugged the corners of Baekhyun’s lips upwards. So this was what was bothering his friend? A girl? Whilst this was perfect material to tease Jongdae, Baekhyun knew that now wasn’t the time – he would have to save the jokes for another day.

“I don’t know about that,” he said gently, lifting Jongdae up from the couch with one hand. “Have you asked her about it?”

“No,” Jongdae said, his head bowed in embarrassment. He shifted nervously in the palm of Baekhyun’s hand, his attention fixed on his tiny shoes.

“Well,” Baekhyun prompted, moving slowly through the lounge room and down the hallway. “How long have you liked her for?”

“Forever,” Jongdae replied hesitantly.

With a small chuckle, Baekhyun placed Jongdae carefully on the ground in front of Jisoo’s room. “Talk to her then,” he urged. “You’ll never know what she will say unless you talk to her.”

Extending an arm, he knocked once on Jisoo’s door. Half a second later, he was greeted with a muffled ‘Come in!’ Flashing Jongdae a reassuring smile, Baekhyun opened the door.

“Go,” he whispered. “Good luck!”

Shuffling forward, Jongdae paused, turning back to his friend.

“Thanks,” he smiled before drawing in a deep breath. “Oh, and Baekhyun? I’m sorry for eating your grapes.”

 

 

 

Just to clarify:
"What's eating your grapes?" equates to "What's your problem?"

Sorry for the delay. I just dunno anymore.
I don't feel like writing. (Not that I have the time to, anyway.)
So I finally started work again (yaaaay!)
4:45am wake up and don't get back home until 6:30pm.

Puhhhh. Exhaustedddd.

On the plus, my colleague/new work friend looks like Thor
and my boss looks exactly like Jay Park.
(He makes it very hard to focus).

Clearly I should have gotten into banking a long time ago.
/drools
Gotta play it cool.
See, Pinkie Pie knows how it's done~