The Not-So-Giant Mister

Baek to the Basics

To say Baekhyun was confused was an understatement. For the most part of the afternoon, he kept to himself, only offering Chanyeol a simple nod whenever the other would ask him if he was okay. Exhaling quietly, Baekhyun picked up Mister Byun by his foot, squinting at the upside down teddy bear which he held a few centimeters away from his face.

Everything that Chanyeol had told him – it was so much to take in all at once. Chanyeol had always loved Baekhyun, even if the other didn’t always remember who he was. The bear, Chanyeol’s one comfort during his time away was named after Baekhyun – that way, Chanyeol always kept him close to his heart.

But there was one thing Baekhyun was still uncertain about. Releasing his grip on the stuffed bear, he watched as it fell to the couch with a soft thud. If he leaned to the left, he could just make out Chanyeol bustling about the kitchen, a saucepan in his hand.

With a small sigh, Baekhyun got to his feet, shuffling slowly into the kitchen. It didn’t take long for Chanyeol to notice he was there and, within seconds, the other had whirled around and greeted him with a worried expression.

“Bunny,” he murmured. “Is everything okay? You haven’t been yourself since we got back from Joonmyeon’s.  Are you upset? Angry?”

Studying Baekhyun closely, Chanyeol frowned as the other shook his head, wordlessly taking a seat atop one of the barstools at the kitchen counter. Something was definitely bothering Baekhyun, Chanyeol knew that much. And no amount of silence from the other was going to prove Chanyeol otherwise.

His lips twisted into a frown and Chanyeol set about the kitchen once more, making Baekhyun a cup of hot (not too hot, Chanyeol wouldn’t want his Bunny’s lovely lips burned) chocolate.  Why had Baekhyun changed so much in such a short period of time? Perhaps telling him everything was a bad idea. Baekhyun remembers now, but he must also hurt.

“Bunny, please,” Chanyeol pleaded as he watched Baekhyun lift the cup of hot chocolate to his lips. “Please,” he whispered. “Tell me what’s bothering you.”

Placing his cup of hot chocolate back onto the kitchen counter, Baekhyun met Chanyeol’s pleading gaze and tilted his head to the side.

“Are you angry at me?” Chanyeol tried, desperately.

“No,” Baekhyun replied, his voice low.

Chanyeol’s heartbeat quickened, his eyes searching Baekhyun’s face for answers. At least he wasn’t angry, but sad? That had to be it. Trying again, Chanyeol leaned across the kitchen counter, his face so close to Baekhyun’s that he could feel the other’s warmth; he could smell the rich chocolate that clung to his breath.

“Are you upset?” he asked and Baekhyun shook his head, dropping his gaze, eyes fixed on his cup.

“I am not,” he replied simply.

Chanyeol hooked his index finger under Baekhyun’s chin, slowly tilting it upwards so that his bunny met his eye once more. Baekhyun’s eyes widened for a split second, finally registering how close their faces were.

“Then what?” Chanyeol breathed. “What’s wrong? Please, Bunny. Tell me.”

Allowing his shoulders to slump, Baekhyun leaned away from the other. “Chanyeol,” he began slowly.

Chanyeol flinched at the sound of his name. Yes, that was his name, but coming from the lips of somebody like Baekhyun – it just felt so strange, so out of place; so wrong. Baekhyun had changed, and it was all Chanyeol’s fault. Did Baekhyun not love him now that he knew the truth? Why else would he lean away?  Chanyeol’s heart sank and he swallowed the lump in his throat.

“- I am not angry. Instead, I’ve been thinking – “

“About what?” Chanyeol pleaded desperately.

A wicked grin flashed across Baekhyun’s face. “You weren’t ever a giant, were you?” he teased, an amused glint in his eye. “It seems strange to call you ‘Mister Giant’ now. Was I taller than you when we were both still little? Maybe you should call me ‘Mister Giant’.”

The sound of laughter reached Chanyeol’s ears as Baekhyun threw his head back in mirth. Chanyeol’s jaw dropped as he stared at the other in awe. Was this really all that was on his mind? Getting worked up over nothing – he was worried for no reason!

With a shake of his head, Chanyeol’s lips tugged into a small smile. Baekhyun’s laughter was infectious and he couldn’t help chuckling.

“No,” Chanyeol grinned. “I was still taller, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun fell silent at the mention of his name, his brows knitting together seriously. “Good,” he said quietly. Drawing in a sharp breath, he looked away, his cheeks flushed. “Please don’t stop calling me Bunny.”

“Only if you keep calling me ‘Mister Giant’.”

 


 

“A date?” Baekhyun asked, his head tilted to the side. “A proper one?”

He didn’t have any objections, in fact his heart leapt at the chance to go out somewhere with Chanyeol once more. However, if there was one thing he didn’t quite understand, it was why this date was ‘proper’ and the other times they had gone on dates were not.

“Yes,” Chanyeol replied with a nod. “A proper date. One where we do things that couples do on dates, like hold hands and kiss and – “

Baekhyun stopped listening. There wasn’t anything he wanted more than to be able to kiss Chanyeol over and over again; to see the love, the adoration and sincerity in his eyes every time their lips met.

“- if we go to the park, little miss Sunny can come, too. I’m sure she’d love to play near the lake –“

A small smile played across Baekhyun’s face as he watched Chanyeol talk, a small rosy tint painted his Giant’s cheeks. Waiting patiently for the other to finish gushing chatting excitedly about all the different types of places they could visit on their date, Baekhyun’s eyes did not leave Chanyeol’s.

When it did not look like his Giant would finish talking any time soon, Baekhyun got to his feet. “I don’t want to go on a date,” he interrupted smoothly.

Chanyeol fell silent, his eyes wide with surprise. “W-why not?” he stammered quickly, thrown off by Baekhyun’s response.

Baekhyun’s smile widened as he circled around the kitchen counter. Placing his hands on Chanyeol’s shoulders, he turned the startled Giant to face him. Baekhyun could see the confusion in the other’s eyes – this was something that Chanyeol was least expecting, and that made Baekhyun happy.

Tracing his hands down the length of Chanyeol’s arms, Baekhyun laced their fingers together.

“Because,” he breathed, a wicked grin replacing his smile. “I don’t need to go on a date to hold your hand, and I certainly don’t have to go on one just to kiss you.”

Freeing his fingers from Baekhyun’s grip, Chanyeol replaced his hands around Baekhyun’s waist.

“You know what?” he breathed, his lips brushing across Baekhyun’s gently. “I think you’re right.”

 

 

Thank you all so much for the feature and all of your support. <3
I truly appreciate it!

Only three chapters to go!~
(I'm aiming for 30. It might juuust go over.)
Here, have some confident/sassy/cocky Bunny and flustered Yeol.


Call me baby? 
Call me bunny.


Was going to update yesterday but plans changed
and I found myself confined to a board room on the 21st floor of a 
building all afternoon. (Corporate attire is NOT comfortable.
The chairs were, at least. So I guess that's something?)

Trying so hard to get my life back on track. 
Buhhhhh.
How to adult?
Pinkie Pie doesn't know, either.