Beneath the Stars and Moon

Baek to the Basics

It was the early hours of the morning when Chanyeol had finally finished his Valentine’s Day gift for Baekhyun. The other had taken himself to bed a good five hours prior offering Chanyeol the sweet promise of making Valentine’s chocolates in the morning. Wrapping his gift carefully, Chanyeol carried it into the bedroom and leaned it against Baekhyun’s dressing table, careful not to wake the slumbering bunny, before climbing warily into bed himself.

Closing his eyes, Chanyeol let out a long, drawn out sigh. He couldn’t sleep. His mind kept thinking about places he could take Baekhyun for Valentine’s Day. A restaurant, perhaps? Or maybe the zoo?  Maybe they could catch the train out into the countryside, or perhaps instead to the sea side? Baekhyun would like to see the sail boats, Chanyeol thought. The sand, too – Baekhyun would love to make a sand castle. Miss Sunny could come, too.

With a frown, Chanyeol pushed himself up into a sitting position, his back propped up against his pillow.  He couldn’t sleep, no matter how hard he tried. With a soft groan, he dragged himself out of bed once more, paying care to make sure Baekhyun’s slumber remained undisturbed, before heading out into the kitchen to make himself a coffee.

If he couldn’t sleep, the very least he could do was work on where he and Baekhyun were going to do for the day. After all, it was going to be his Bunny’s very first Valentine’s and Chanyeol wanted it to be absolutely perfect.

 


 

The sweet scent of maple syrup and honey reached Baekhyun’s nose and almost immediately, his mouth began to water. Mumbling quietly to himself, he rubbed his eyes, a small cry of surprise escaped his lips when he realised Chanyeol was perched on the side of the bed, looking expectantly down at him. Large, dark shadows circled Chanyeol’s eyes but they didn’t seem to bother him, so Baekhyun pushed the thought to the back of his mind.

“Er,” Baekhyun murmured uncertainly, his voice still deep from sleep. “Mister Giant, were you watching me sleep?” Not that he had the slightest objection to it.

Chanyeol’s lips curled upwards into a small smile. “No,” he said, turning away from Baekhyun to glance at something that sat on the bed farthest away from Baekhyun. Little Miss Sunny had awoken to the same delicious smell as Baekhyun and now ran circles around Chanyeol’s legs, yipping eagerly, her tiny pink tongue lolling to one side.

Offering a quick apology to Sunny, Chanyeol turned back to face Baekhyun, a tray in his hands. “I made you breakfast in bed,” he said simply, placing the tray on Baekhyun’s lap. “Thought it might be a good way to start your day. I hope you like pancakes.”

“Pancakes?” Baekhyun asked, his stomach growling. “You’re supposed to cook cakes in the oven. Mister Giant is so silly.”  Offering Chanyeol a playful grin, Baekhyun tucked into his meal, offering various noises as signs of his enjoyment.

With his mouth full of pancake and the remnants of his honey toast still on the corners of his lips, Baekhyun’s eyes travelled from his breakfast to the dressing table where a brightly wrapped gift rested.

“Mmph – “ Baekhyun began, swallowing his pancake and raising a sticky, honey-covered finger to point at the gift. “Mister Giant, what is that?”

Chanyeol’s eyes followed in the direction of Baekhyun’s attention before he got quickly to his feet, scooping the light gift up in one swift movement. “This,” he said, moving Baekhyun’s breakfast tray from his lap and replacing it with the gift, “is part of your Valentine’s Day present.”

“Part of?” Baekhyun asked, his cheeks glowing with happiness. Stretching out, he tore the wrapping paper off with ease. The first thing that caught his attention was a canvas and it was the most beautiful thing that Baekhyun had ever seen.

Standing in a beautiful meadow were two ponies that resembled those from Equestria; a tall caramel coloured pony and a slightly smaller pony whose mane and tail were a deep mocha, a bright blue cape tied proudly around his neck. They were nuzzling, their eyes filled with adoration for one another.

Baekhyun traced a finger around each pony lightly, unable to hide the smile on his face. “Is this us?” he asked, breaking his gaze away from the canvas to glance up at his giant.

“It is,” Chanyeol replied, pleased with Baekhyun’s reaction. “But that’s not all – look underneath the canvas.”

Careful not to damage the canvas, Baekhyun lifted it; the hollow at the back had concealed two things; a small notebook and a letter. Balancing the canvas on his knees, Baehyun reached for the letter first, quickly reading over it, his eyes quickly filling with tears.

The letter itself was two pages long and possibly the longest thing that Baekhyun had ever bothered to read. But, it was two pages of Chanyeol talking about just how precious Baekhyun was and just how much his bunny meant to him.

The breath caught in Baekhyun’s throat as he read the bottom of the letter.

‘- With all of my love, Chanyeol.’

Drying his eyes with the sleeve of his flannelette pajamas, Baekhyun picked up the small notebook.

“This – “

“It’s the sequel to the love story you wrote, Bunny,” Chanyeol breathed. “Prince Hyunnie Bunny needed another happily ever after with his Wolf.”

 


 

For the entire day, Chanyeol had kept Baekhyun busy. After breakfast in bed, Chanyeol had taken Baekhyun on a horse and carriage ride around the city (and purchased him a plush dappled horse when Baekhyun insisted that the one that pulled their carriage was big enough to fit in the apartment) before taking him to the ice cream parlour for a snack.

The train ride into the countryside took all of an hour and the second they stepped onto the rural station platform, they were engulfed with the sweet smell of honeysuckle and lavender; the fresh country air crisp and clean.  

The small country town consisted of a few scattered houses and one main street, but that was more than enough to keep Baekhyun entertained for the remainder of the afternoon and much of the evening.

It was during dinner at a small wood fire bakery café, during one of the workers stories about his adventures in the countryside did Baekhyun decide that he wanted to be an explorer. After bidding their goodbyes, Baekhyun insisted they explore the nearby meadows and rolling hills.

As the pair crested the top of a particularly large hill, Chanyeol dropped to the ground with an exhausted huff, pulling Baekhyun down with him. The long, springy grass danced in the light breeze, tickling Baekhyun’s exposed arms; the stars were much brighter here than they were in the city. Everything was just so different – so perfect.

Baekhyun’s eyes widened in panic. “Oh no,” he murmured, looking around frantically. “I forgot to make you Valentine’s chocolates, Mister Giant. I’m so sorry –“

Placing his hand atop Baekhyun’s, Chanyeol offered him a small smile. “It’s okay Bunny,” he breathed. “Today is all about you – it’s about making your first Valentine’s Day a special one.”

“It’ll always be special,” Baekhyun murmured. “If I get to spend it with you.”

Shooting a shy glance towards Chanyeol, Baekhyun chewed his bottom lip. “There was one last thing I wanted to give you today, Mister Giant. I didn’t get to make you the chocolates that I had wanted, but I hope you like this just the same. I –“

“What is it, Bunny?” Chanyeol asked, confused at Baekhyun’s hesitation.

Allowing his shoulders to slump, Baekhyun drew in a shallow breath. “I’d like to sing you a song, if that’s okay.”

And he did. Closing his eyes, Baekhyun sung, his voice soft at first, but as his confidence grew, the volume of his voice grew, too.

“Out here in the quiet of the night; beneath the stars, and moon – “

The breath caught in Chanyeol’s throat as he listened in stunned silence.

“ - I practice all the things that I would say, line by line, every word. I tell myself today would be the day, but every time, I lose my nerve – “

Chanyeol had never heard anything so beautiful in his life. He had heard Baekhyun sing before, sure. But Baekhyun had been so tiny then – his voice was nothing like what it is now. It was mesmerising.

“ - Oh, why should anything so easy ever be so hard to do? I want to tell you what I'm feeling, and to say that - I love you.”

When Baekhyun had finished singing, he shot a nervous glance up at Chanyeol who sat, wide eyed – speechless. It took him quite some time before he was able to find his voice once more.

“Bunny – “ he began, still in his trance. “Your voice. It’s –“

Baekhyun looked down, ashamed. “It’s awful, I know. I’m sorry, Mister Giant.”

“No – “ Chanyeol struggled to find the right words. Pulling Baekhyun into him, Chanyeol rested his chin in the crook of the others neck. “Bunny, I have never heard something so beautiful in my life. I just – thank you.”

The two sat there, their heads tilted towards the sky and they watched the stars in silence. Baekhyun shivered in the cool night air, a content sigh escaped his lips when his giant’s grip around him tightened.

Chanyeol’s lips made found their way first to Baekhyun’s cheek, and then to his temple and forehead, leaving behind sweet kisses in each place his lips touched. He could feel Baekhyun’s cheeks heat up, yet the other did not break his gaze away from the starry night sky.

“Happy Valentine’s Day, Bunny,” Chanyeol breathed.

Baekhyun’s lips curled up into a small smile. “I love you, Mister Giant.”

It took a long time for Chanyeol to answer, but when he did, Baekhyun felt his heart swell with happiness.

“Me too.”

 



 

This is so corny, I can't even.
*box of shame*


I was going to update last night,
but I was out in the city too late.


The song Baekhyun sings is called Misty's Song
and it may or may not be from the Pokemon album
2.B.A Master.
*shifty eyes*
Chapter title lyrics from the same song.
IT WAS SO GONNA BE DOUBLE TROUBLE.
BECAUSE TEAM ROCKET
But that's not romantic, is it? No. Aww. :< 

We're gonna capture Pikachuuuuuuu. 

Idea for Baek singing comes from smtown_saranghae.
Thank you!


Happy Valentine's Day!
There's kisses, confessions and corny scenes just for you!



Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go write some angst.

PS: If you haven't already, check out AO Crew's amazing
cover of Good Boy
.
It's truly amazing.