Wherever the road takes you

Baek to the Basics

Baekhyun promised himself he wouldn’t cry. He tried so hard to fight back the tears, but there was only so much heartbreak he could take. If there was one thing he hated, it was goodbyes. But, Baekhyun knew it would be selfish to insist his friends remain in the city purely for his own selfish reasons – he wanted to keep the Cape Crew together forever; he was scared of losing his friends but sometimes, it’s best to let go.

They had grown. All of them. They didn’t need to be looked after any longer – they didn’t need to stay by Joonmyeon’s side. Their job was finally done – they could live their own lives.

Baekhyun had stayed up all night dreading the hours to come. Time only seemed to stand still when you did not wish it, but when you did, the long hours turned into mere minutes. The morning passed in much of a blur and Baekhyun couldn’t remember so much as rolling out of bed and before he knew it, he was standing at the front door, jacket in hand, looking back at the life he was going to be leaving behind.

Their small apartment looked so unfamiliar – large boxes stacked atop each other, all packed full of belongings, lined the hallway awaiting collection. The walls were bare, the furniture all gone. Little Miss Sunny was already in her carrier, sound asleep and ready for the long journey ahead: a new house, far away. A new life.

Chanyeol had found a small cottage out in the country, far away from the hustle and bustle of the city. There, he would be able to work peacefully on his paintings and Baekhyun, of course, would be at his side.

But it wasn’t just the two of them who were starting life afresh.

 


 

It was Luhan and Minseok who had broken the news first. For as long as they had known each other, Luhan had dreamed of playing soccer, of representing his country and Minseok wanted nothing more than for his Luhan to achieve that dream – even if it did mean moving to the other side of the country and leaving all that they knew and loved behind. Their friends. Their family. Their life.

But as long as they had each other, they knew that they would be happy.

Each morning, Luhan would wake up in Minseok’s arms. Each night, they would fall asleep much the same way. Whenever things got tough, whenever Luhan thought that he had made a mistake in leaving everyone else behind – every time he would break down because he thought he had taken the one he loved most away from their friends – Minseok would simply wrap his arms around Luhan and sit there in silence.

Minseok thought Luhan was brave, willing to leave everything behind in order to follow his heart, his dream. But above all else, Minseok was proud of Luhan.

And told him every day.

 


 

“Bunny,” Chanyeol murmured, his arms wrapped around Baekhyun’s slender waist from behind, his chin resting in the crook of the others neck. “Why are you crying? Do you feel unwell?”

Wiping his eyes with the back of his sleeve, Baekhyun shook his head. “I don’t want to say goodbye.”

 


 

Home is always where the heart is. That was how it always was an always will be. Joonmyeon’s heart was with Kris, and so when the other made the decision to move to China, Joonmyeon was at his side in a heartbeat.

To say that Joonmyeon worried about the others was an understatement – it was almost second nature for him to wonder if they’ve had enough to eat or whether they are sleeping enough. Joonmyeon was just like their older brother. It didn’t matter where in the world any of them were, they knew that Joonmyeon would always look after them. Send them letters. Check up on them as best he could.

With Kris’ arm linked tightly around his, the two walked side by side through the busy streets of the city they now called home. It was vastly different from what Joonmyeon was used to, but if Kris was happy, so was he.

A small box was tucked under Joonmyeon’s arm and, when they came across a small post office, he guided Kris inside.

“What do you need to send?” Kris asked, his voice gentle and eyes full of curiosity.

A small chuckle escaped Joonmyeon’s lips and he carefully lifted the box, tapping the top gently with the side of his thumb. Kris’ eyes widened with surprise when the contents of the box gave a small squeak and returned the tap.

This.”

 


 

“It’s okay, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol murmured as he held the shaking Baekhyun to his chest. “It isn’t a ‘goodbye’, it’s just an ‘until we meet again’.”

Baekhyun’s fingertips balled tightly around the fabric of Chanyeol’s jumper. Lifting his head, he let out a quit sniffle. “Will I, though?” he asked. “Will I meet them again? They’re all gone.”

Chanyeol felt his heart ache. He hated seeing Baekhyun like this. “They are all just following their hearts, Bunny,” he said gently, brushing Baekhyun’s fringe out of his pale, tear stricken face. “Just as you have followed yours.”

 


 

If there was one thing Jongdae was perfectly sure of, it was that he was going to make a name for himself one way or another. It took only a few short years for he and Jisoo to build their fashion empire, and when that finally happened, the pair found themselves staying in a new city every week.

They followed the lights, the music, the culture – the sun. Jisoo knew that even though Jongdae would often complain about missing home, he wouldn’t change anything about their nee life. He was happy and Jisoo wouldn’t change that for the world.

Each year, the pair would send their friends beautiful gifts for Christmas. Jongdae would take care to send Baekhyun the same duck-print jumper with a card that read ‘just in case you miss your old look.’

Each year, Baekhyun would return the favour by sending Jisoo a beautiful writing book and Jongdae a bunch of plastic grapes with a card that read ‘don’t choke like you did last time.’

Jongdae kept every single one.

 


 

 

Baekhyun sat with his legs drawn up to his chest, the train rocking his body side to side gently. The movers had already collected their things belongings; two large trucks filled to the brim with boxes. Everything was set to be at the cottage by the time they arrived, but he and Chanyeol still had quite a long journey ahead of them.

Chanyeol had placed a thick blue blanket over Baekhyun’s shoulders a few hours into the journey and he found himself knotting it around his neck subconsciously.

“I didn’t think I would see you back in a cape again,” Chanyeol mused, draping an arm around his Bunny’s shoulder, the other leaning his head against his Giant. “I missed it.”

“It’s just something for comfort,” Baekhyun replied softly. “It doesn’t mean anything.”

Chanyeol sighed, a small smile on his face. “Doesn’t it?” he asked. “I thought your cape made you feel safe?”

Turning on the seat, Baekhyun nuzzled his face into the crook of Chanyeol’s neck and closed his eyes. “It doesn’t,” he said. “But you do.”

 


 

To Jongin, Kyungsoo’s smile was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Kyungsoo always had a passion for cooking and for his birthday, Jongin had organised the most perfect birthday present. He had spent months in the lead up to his love’s birthday preparing – renovating, furnishing.

It was perfect. Beautiful.

A café. All for Kyungsoo.

The café may have been small, littered with mismatched wooden chairs, clusters of tables and colourful plants, but that just added to the atmosphere. It gave the café life (although Jongin would often argue that it was Kyungsoo’s laugh smile presence that gave it life).

The scent of roasting coffee beans and freshly baked pastry filled the air and, a few short months after the café’s opening, word had spread across the city. There was not a single day where a table remained empty or a chair unoccupied.

Jongin thought Kyungsoo had the most beautiful smile. And he was always the reason behind it.

 


 

“Bunny,” Chanyeol breathed, gently shaking Baekhyun awake. “We’re home.”

Sitting up, Baekhyun rubbed his eyes. The countryside was a peaceful place, but it was quiet. “Home?” he asked, tilting his head to the side groggily. “It doesn’t feel like home.”

Chanyeol forced a smile. “Not yet,” he said. “But it will soon, I promise.”

 


 

Dancing was an escape for Sehun and Zitao. It was a hobby that they shared that brought them together. Whenever they got the change, regardless of where they were, they would spend their time dancing. It was what they wanted to do for the rest of their life.

Zitao was the first to become a dance instructor at a prestigious dance academy. Sehun followed soon after. Dancing made them happy and this way, they could share that happiness with those who shared the same dream.

The pair were in perfect harmony; even the smallest things they did were in sync. The smallest of things have been known to make a person smile.

Sehun and Zitao never stopped.

 


 

Chanyeol was desperate to have Baekhyun smile once more. His birthday was fast approaching and Chanyeol couldn’t stand to see his Bunny so miserable. Moving through the large kitchen and out onto the back verandah where Baekhyun sat, Chanyeol took a seat on the step next to him and drew in a deep breath. The scent of honeysuckle filled his nostrils, the country air fresh and clean.

“Do you want to go home for your birthday?” he asked, watching Baekhyun carefully.

Baekhyun shook his head, forcing a small smile. “I am home,” he breathed.

“If you don’t want to go back to Seoul, what would you like for your birthday, Bunny?”

“I want to fly.”

Chanyeol’s brows raised in confusion. He hadn’t expected that answer – not in the slightest. “And,” he said slowly. “Why would you like to fly?”

Baekhyun turned to face Chanyeol, offering his Giant a one shouldered shrug. “If I’m up high enough, I’ll be able to see everyone, even if they can’t be with me.”

 


 

Yixing was the only one who had made the decision to remain in Seoul. He occupied Joonmyeon’s old house, promising the other that he would take utmost care of it whilst the other was in China. Solitude never phased Yixing, although he did miss the times where the house was filled with laughter and the scampering of tiny feet.

He missed the way the others would pick on one another and the way Joonmyeon was always there whenever they needed him.

A loud knock at the front door broke Yixing out of his thoughts and, mumbling softly to himself, he shuffled through the empty house and opened the door. To his surprise, whoever had knocked had vanished, a small package sat on the mat at his feet.

Scooping up the box, Yixing scanned the return address, a broad smile spreading across his face. “It’s from Joonmyeon!”

Carrying the box into the kitchen, he opened it carefully. A package from Joonmyeon and Kris was the last thing he was expecting – what could they have possibly wanted to send him?

A surprised yelp escaped Yixing’s lips the moment he peered into the box; a tiny head poked out of the top, large dark eyes staring keenly back at him.

“Hello,” it greeted politely, bowing its tiny head. “I’m Taeyong. It’s nice to meet you, Mister.”

 


 

The basket rocked back and forth gently, the wind icy. High above Baekhyun’s head, the hot air balloon stretched – its bright colours and crisp patterns stood out against the cloudless cornflower sky and was visible for miles.

Baekhyun stood hand in hand with Chanyeol, his eyes scanning the horizon. He was flying. Soaring. High above the trees, the houses – everything. He felt as though he was weightless.

Turning slowly in a circle, Baekhyun grinned. “I can see everyone,” he murmured softly. “Yixing is over there and – “ he turned in the opposite direction and pointed. “ – Jisoo and Jongdae are over there!”

Throwing his arms around Chanyeol’s neck, Baekhyun rested his forehead against his Giant’s. “Thank you for letting me see my friends for my birthday,” he breathed. 

 


 

Chanyeol guided Baekhyun through the pitch black cottage, his hands over the others eyes and a wide grin on his face. To say Baekhyun was confused by the gesture was an understatement. It was just birthday cake. Nothing could be that special that he wasn’t allowed to peek.

He came to a stop in the large kitchen, the glow of the candles seeping through Chanyeol’s fingertips.

“Are you ready?” Chanyeol breathed and Baekhyun nodded, immediately raising his hands in an attempt to pry Chanyeol’s from his eyes. Chanyeol chuckled quietly, returning them to his side. “Happy birthday, my Bunny.”

Baekhyun’s eyes went wide and his hands flew to his mouth, a loud sob escaping his lips. His friends stood around the table, smiling. They were all able to be there on his birthday despite following their dreams. They were all there - for him. They had been all along. It didn't matter what path in life they took, they would always be there whenever Baekhyun needed them.

Chanyeol had been right all along. It really wasn’t a 'goodbye' after all. It was simply an 'until we meet again'.

And that time had finally come.

 

 

 

Fin.

 

 


Baek in a Box was never supposed to surpass 5 chapters.
And now I've managed to finish a 30 chapter sequel,
all thanks to your love, support and encouragement. 
I cannot thank you enough.

I couldn't not add Taeyong in here.
My bby. *w*

 

Click here for your daily dose of Pinkie Pie!