Something Sweet

Baek to the Basics

With his legs drawn up to his chest, Baekhyun leaned back against the back of the couch as wordlessly, he watched Chanyeol entwine bright orange streamers with black, hanging them around the room. Pumpkins of various sizes decorated the hallway in clusters, numerous ornaments, candles and other decorations littered flat surfaces.

Balloons slowly filled the room as Chanyeol, cheeks pink with effort, blew them up one by one. Balloons with ghosts, balloons with pumpkins – and were they spiders? Ergh! Baekhyun winced.

“Mister Giant?” he called softly from his spot on the couch, peering over his knees. “Is it somebody’s birthday today?”

 Gesturing first to the orange and black streamers, then to a pile of plastic skulls that decorated the coffee table, Baekhyun hugged his knees to him. “Isn’t a birthday supposed to be happy? It looks like you are about to sacrifice something.”

“Sacrifice?” Chanyeol asked somewhat breathlessly, his eyebrows raised. Tying the end of the last balloon, he tapped it gently towards Baekhyun who caught it tentatively. “Where did you learn about sacrifice?”

“Jongin told me a lot about the scary movies he’s watched,” Baekhyun said slowly, holding the spider print balloon at arm’s length. He crinkled his nose; spiders were scary. “Will there be cake at this sacrifice? I like cake.”

“It’s not a sacrifice, Baek,” Chanyeol chuckled  as he took the balloon from Baekhyun’s hand, allowing it to fall to the floor, lost in a sea of other balloons. “It’s Halloween.”

The expression on Baekhyun’s face was unreadable. “Hello-weeny?” he asked slowly, trying his best to repeat what Chanyeol had said. “What’s that?”

“Halloween,” Chanyeol said, trying his best not to laugh at Baekhyun’s confusion. “It’s a celebration of,” he paused, unsure of how Baekhyun would react. “It’s a holiday filled with sweets and dress ups. It’s fun, I promise.”

Baekhyun’s eyes lit up immediately. “Fun?” he asked. “Sweets? Will there still be cake, though?”

“Only if you want there to be.”

 


Trying his best to not get separated from Chanyeol was proving to be quite a difficult task for Baekhyun as the ocean of shoppers continuously blocked his path. Time and time again, Baekhyun would scamper to Chanyeol’s side and attempt to hold onto his arm tightly, only to get distracted by something in a shop front display, go inspect it and find Chanyeol missing.

“Would you like to dress up for Halloween?” Chanyeol asked as he spotted the sobbing Baekhyun next to the display window of a sweet shop; various carved pumpkins and an array of bright autumn leaves decorated the shop front.

Drying his eyes with the back of his sleeve, Baekhyun sniffed quietly, nodding his head. “Can I dress up as Pinky Pie?”

“Er,” said Chanyeol. He wasn’t sure if Pinkie Pie costumes came in adult sizes, let alone for men. Baekhyun clasped his hands together expectantly.

“Oh please?” he asked hopefully. “You can go as your favourite pony, too!”

Chanyeol shuddered at the thought of him dressed in pastel colours and fairy wings.

“I don’t think I’m going to be dressing up this year,” he said simply as he put an arm around Baekhyun’s shoulders, guiding him away from the sweet shop and back into the sea of people. “But I think you would make a very cute Pinkie Pie.”

 


 

 

Chanyeol was right, much to Baekhyun’s disappointment; it was impossible to find a Pinkie Pie Halloween costume in adult sizing. In fact, he was certain that they did not exist. But he couldn’t stand so see Baekhyun look so heartbroken.

With arms laden with shopping bags full of streamers and fairy-floss pink fleece one piece pajamas, Chanyeol slowly made his way through the bustling city to his apartment, Baekhyun trailing a few steps behind him, a brightly coloured toffee apple clutched tightly in his sticky hand.

In a desperate attempt to not let his Baekhyun down, Chanyeol had decided to make Baekhyun his very own Pinkie Pie Halloween costume; it wasn’t going to be anything special, but it would be made with love.

For Baekhyun, the very thought that Chanyeol was making him something was enough to fill his stomach with butterflies; a bounce to his step as he followed after his Mister Giant.

As they got back to the apartment, Chanyeol set the shopping bags down on the kitchen table, lifting a large square box out of one gently. Placing it in front of Baekhyun, he folded back the lid.

“Your cake,” he smiled and Baekhyun clapped his hand together, hopping from one foot to the other eagerly.

Iced in orange, a chocolate spider web design decorated the top of the cake. It looked delicious, Baekhyun thought with a nod. He couldn’t wait to share it with Chanyeol.

“Can we have cake now?” he asked and Chanyeol shook his head.

“No,” he said. “Cake is for later.” Noticing Baekhyun’s pout, Chanyeol quickly scraped some of the icing from the cake with his fingertip, dabbing it onto the tip of Baekhyun’s nose. “Don’t pout.”

 


 

The moon was high in the sky when they left their apartment that evening, the stars glistened against a blanket of deep navy. Baekhyun found it difficult to walk in his costume, the long mane made from streamers blew into his eyes, making it difficult to see; his streamer-tail trailed along the ground and he was afraid he would trod on it.

To say Baekhyun adored the costume that Chanyeol had made for him was an understatement; the moment he saw it, he informed Chanyeol that he would never take it off – not even at bath time. However, there was one thing that the costume lacked; a cape. Fashioning his own out of Chanyeol’s blanket (despite Chanyeol’s protests about himself being a better cape than a blanket), Baekhyun hurried after his Mister Giant as they went from door to door, asking those who lived there for sweets.

With his small pumpkin bucket filled to the brim with all kinds of delicious treats, Baekhyun couldn’t stop himself from beaming. But there was one thing he didn’t like about Halloween.

Everyone elses costumes.

They were terrifying. On more than one occasion, Baekhyun would let a horrified squeak escape his lips as a zombie or vampire would pass by, proudly showing off their treat buckets. On more than one occasion, Baekhyun would bury his face in Chanyeol’s chest, whimpering.

“They’re just costumes, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol would soothe, but Baekhyun would refuse to lift his head until he was certain that they had gone. “It’s Halloween, the costumes are supposed to be scary.”

A small grin crept across Baekhyun’s face as he lifted his gaze to meet Chanyeol’s.

“Rahhh,” he bellowed as loudly as he could. “Pinkie Pie is scary, right?”

“Well--” Chanyeol began, trying desperately to change the subject. “How about we go eat that cake now?”

“Okay!”

 

 

 

So I finished two essays and an exam within a 40 hour time frame.
Time for a bit of a break, I suppose.
Happy (early) Halloween.

A few of my friends celebrated Diwali last week,
so I hope that everyone who celebrated had a wonderful Diwali~

 

Somebody suggested a Halloween idea seeing as it's ... in a few days?
I actually don't know when Halloween is. (Yay for googling random facts bc I know nothing about it).
XD
My apologies for not remembering your username.
It's been a while. ^^' 


After November 5th, I'll be free to spend my summer working on my new project,
a fantasy fic called Hyperion. I'm super excited about it, plus I get to try out a new (old, actually)
style of writing. 
I also plan on finishing up a few things, too. (Bird Cage & Monsters, mostly).

Please anticipate it~^^