Baby Don't Cry

Baek to the Basics

If there was one thing that Baekhyun wanted (almost as much as Mister Giant’s kisses, but not quite that much) was for Chanyeol to see him as a grown up, not as a little bunny – not that Baekhyun had anything against the nickname, though.

Baekhyun had changed the way he dressesd, trying his best to mirror Chanyeol’s style, although buttons were still quite beyond him and more often than not, Baekhyun had to ask Chanyeol for help with getting dressed. He had changed the way he carried himself, his shoulders back and chin up.

He had even decided to try and show Chanyeol just how grown up he was, by insisting that he no longer needed to be read a bedtime story before falling asleep, taking himself to bed at exactly nine o’clock every night and insisting that he could make breakfast (cereal) all by himself whilst making only minimal mess.

Baekhyun had invested a good deal of time each night bringing home extra homework, in an attempt at showing Chanyeol just how sensible and smart he was; each night after dinner, he would help clear away the table, feed little miss Sunny and then bring out his workbooks, refusing any help Chanyeol offered to give him insisting that this was something he ‘had to learn on his own.’

Baekhyun was determined to show Chanyeol just how grown up, just how mature he was.

And to say the least, Chanyeol was impressed.

So when he was given the chance to watch a grown up movie with Chanyeol (and, after clarifying no less than six times that it did not have Pinkie Pie in it) Baekhyun was over the moon. Never had Chanyeol seen Baekhyun help clean up the kitchen before; in most cases, he would proceed to play with the bubbles in the dishwater for a good ten minutes before washing the dinner plates, but this time around, Baekhyun finished cleaning within moments, each dish sparkling.

“Would you like to do your homework first?” Chanyeol asked as he crouched next to the cupboard under the kitchen counter, putting the plates away. “It’s a Friday night, we can watch the film later if you’d like.”

“Later?” Baekhyun murmured, his eyes widening. “Oh, no, no. My bed time is at nine o’clock, I can’t stay up later.”

“And why is that?” Chanyeol asked, his brows raised. Leaning heavily against the kitchen counter, he waited for Baekhyun to reply. Shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot, Baekhyun looked down at the kitchen table. There was nothing he wanted to do more than watch films with his Mister Giant, but something was stopping him.

“Watching films rather than doing homework and staying up late,” he explained quietly. “They’re not very grown up, are they?”

“Grown up?” Chanyeol asked. “Why would you like to be grown up?”

Allowing his shoulders to slump, Baekhyun hesitated. “So that Mister Giant, er, I mean you would like me more.”

“Oh, my Bunny,” Chanyeol breathed, shaking his head. “I do like you. I always have and I always will.”

Baekhyun closed his eyes and turned away. “Yes,” he whispered. “Like. But I love you.”

 


 

Baekhyun was not quite sure how Chanyeol had convinced him that watching a film was a much better idea than his homework. Perhaps it was the thought of spending time together, or maybe the bribe of ice cream and popcorn, the latter’s buttery scent slowly filling the house and making Baekhyun’s mouth water.

With his legs tucked up on the couch and head on Chanyeol’s shoulder, Baekhyun stared blankly at the television screen, turning the smooth dvd case constantly in his hands. There were many things wrong with this film; the lack of Pinkie Pie, for starters. The lack of smiles, of happiness and joy, of singing and love. But Baekhyun was not about to let Chanyeol know that he found the lack of Pinkie Pie boring.

Was this what all grown up movies were like? Glancing down at the dvd cover, Baekhyun traced his thumb over the title. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Baekhyun didn’t understand. What was happening? Why weren’t the people in the film smiling? Chanyeol had said that this was one of his favourite films, but also one that made him cry. Perhaps that was why Baekhyun had decided to give up on his homework and stay up well after his bed time? So if Chanyeol did cry, Baekhyun would be there to comfort his Mister Giant.

Lines may divide us, but hope will unite us the dvd cover read. Baekhyun’s lips tugged upwards into a small smile as he focused his attention back on the television once more. The cover was right –when there’s hope, there will always be a way.

With an outward sigh, Baekhyun snuggled closer to Chanyeol. Grown up films really made him think, that was for sure. Chancing a quick glance in Chanyeol’s direction, Baekhyun smiled; he was enjoying the film, completely engrossed by the storyline. If Chanyeol liked this film, Baekhyun would too.

 


 

Baekhyun wasn’t sure for how long the film had left, but when he felt Chanyeol’s chest give a shudder and a quiet sniff reached his ears, Baekhyun knew that it was coming to a close. Straightening himself up, Baekhyun turned to face Chanyeol, his giant’s eyes were bloodshot, tears streaked his face.

“Mister Giant?” Baekhyun breathed, his eyes wide with concern. “What’s – “

Was this what grown up movies were for? Crying?

“B-Bunny,” Chanyeol stammered, trying his hardest to regain his composure. One last glance at the screen was Chanyeol’s limit. Closing his eyes, he buried his face in his hands and sobbed, his body shaking.

Baekhyun’s heart skipped a beat. Seeing his Giant’s heart ache, seeing him cry – this was something Baekhyun never wanted to see. Wrapping his arms around Chanyeol’s shoulders, Baekhyun pulled him into a hug, rocking the crying giant from side to side slowly.

“It’s okay,” he soothed. “Please don’t be sad, Mister Giant.”

Running his fingers through Chanyeol’s hair, Baekhyun held his breath; Chanyeol had turned, his fists balled tightly around the fabric of Baekhyun’s shirt, his whole body trembling. Baekhyun knew that there was nothing he could say to make Chanyeol stop crying, so instead he said nothing. Where words failed, actions triumphed.

Burying his head into the crook of Chanyeol’s neck, Baekhyun held his crying giant and waited. The credits had come and gone, the television screen slowly fading to a dull black, before slowly, Chanyeol lifted his head.

“I’m sorry, Bunny,” he sniffed, his eyes still watering. “I – “

“Don’t be,” Baekhyun breathed, leaning closer to Chanyeol face. Brushing his lips along Chanyeol’s cheeks, along Chanyeol’s eyelids, he made sure that there was not a single tear left on his Giant’s face.  

Helping Chanyeol stand, Baekhyun guided him into the kitchen, pulling a dining chair out from under the table for him to sit on. “Sit,” Baekhyun said simply. “I’ll make you some tea to calm you down.”

Chanyeol waited in silence as Baekhyun hurried around the kitchen, getting everything he had to before carefully making his way back over to Chanyeol’s side, mug in hand.

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol began, his eyes fixed on the light brown liquid in the mug. “This – “

“It’s tea,” Baekhyun chirped, puffing his chest out proudly.

He had put a teabag into a cup of cold milk. Chanyeol’s lips found themselves twisting upwards into a small smile.

“It is,” he nodded. “Thank you, Bunny.” 

 

 

For all of you who asked for a more mature Baekhyun.
Probably not what you were expecting, right?
Trololol.


So I spent last night willingly sobbing at this movie.
Every time I watch it - nope nope nope. 
Nobody else in my house wanted to cry with me.
;v;


Speaking of thing I'll cry at,
The first episode of Gallipoli airs tonight.
And I'm going to sob the whole way through it.
;A;

Here's (finally) to a good Australian drama.