The Bunny and the Wolf

Baek to the Basics

With his arms folded in front of his chest, Baekhyun narrowed his eyes. He had tipped the contents of the bright blue, studded backpack that Chanyeol had packed for him out onto the kitchen table to scrutinize. A notebook, coloured pencils and lunch – there seemed to be a distinct lack of cupcakes in what Chanyeol had packed.

Since their fight – albeit one sided – Baekhyun had been willing to do anything he possibly could in order to make it up to Chanyeol, however when Chanyeol suggested he try going to the classes that the doctor had recommended, it took all of Baekhyun’s will to not decline on the spot. Instead, he hid himself in the laundry hamper and refused to come out until Chanyeol had promised him that Kris, too, would be joining him in those classes.

Adjusting the cuff of his blue flannelette shirt, Baekhyun crinkled his nose at the thought of going to these classes. What sort of horrible place would not allow capes? This one. Surely they were evil villains in disguise who want to take over the world.  Baekhyun nodded to himself – this was most definitely the reason why they did not allow capes. And since Chanyeol wasn’t allowed to stay with him, his Giant couldn’t act as a cape for him.

Turning from the kitchen table, Baekhyun hurried into the bedroom to collect his cape that he had stuffed under the pillow along with his button up pajamas. Casting a sweeping glance around the room to make sure that Chanyeol couldn’t see what he was doing, Baekhyun tucked his cape under his arm and started out of the room before something pink caught his eye.

Sitting atop the dresser was Baekhyun’s Pinkie Pie plush. His face twisted into a frown as Baekhyun weighed the pros and cons of taking Pinkie with him to class before shaking his head, snatching the plush from the dresser. There’d be room for both his cape and Pinkie Pie in his backpack!

Hurrying back into the kitchen, Baekhyun stuffed his Pinkie Pie into his backpack before –less than gently – forcing his cape in. Puffing his chest out proudly, Baekhyun took a step backwards to admire his handiwork. Of course Pinkie Pie and the cape fit! There was only just enough room for them, and now, his bag bulged in odd angles – but they fit! And that was what was important!

Shifting his gaze to the clutter on the kitchen table, Baekhyun’s smile faltered, his pride short lived. There was no more room for his coloured pencils or lunch.

“Are you ready yet, Baek?” Chanyeol called from the doorway, taking their jackets from the coat hook. “We’ll be late!”

Shooting one last glance at the neatly packed lunch and coloured pencils, Baekhyun turned and hurried down the hallway, clutching his backpack close. He wouldn’t need those things, not when he has the necessities.

“Yes!” Baekhyun beamed, coming to a halt at the doorway. “I’m ready!”

 


 

“ – And then,” Baekhyun puffed as he trotted along at Chanyeol’s side, the thick scarf that Chanyeol had wrapped around Baekhyun’s neck came up to his nose, muffling his voice. “I’m going to make a sand castle, and then – “

Chanyeol smiled as he listened to Baekhyun talk about all of the fun things that he was going to do whilst in class. Hopefully, he would be able to make a few friends, too. Friends outside of himself and Joonmyeon’s little ones.

“ – It’ll be thiiiiis big!” Baekhyun exclaimed, stretching his arms out as wide as he could.

“Wow!” Chanyeol replied, pretending to be shocked. “That is big! But how would you be able to bring that home with you?”

“Kris will carry it for me!” Baekhyun reassured and Chanyeol had to fight back the urge to laugh.

“Oh really?”

“Yes! Oh, oh! And then, I’ll make – “ Baekhyun plunged back into the list of things he’d planned to spend the day working on. “- And cereal for dinner! With strawberries, please! Do you remember when I turned into a strawberry, Mister Giant? You almost ate me!”

Stuffing his hands into the pockets of his winter coat, Chanyeol frowned. Things were certainly going to be quiet with Baekhyun not at home. What was he going to do all by himself? He could paint … But that would just remind him of the time when Baekhyun ruined his canvas. Maybe he could go shopping and pick up a few treats for them to share after Baekhyun had finished his classes for the day? A My Little Pony marathon, perhaps?

Chanyeol was so busy planning that he didn’t realise Baekhyun had fallen silent, having come to an abrupt halt. Shooting a sideways glance to where Baekhyun once was, Chanyeol’s heart skipped a beat at the absence of his Baekhyun. Whirling around, he found Baekhyun frozen in place, his attention focused on something Chanyeol couldn’t see.

Backtracking quickly, Chanyeol came to a halt at Baekhyun’s side, placing a hand on his shoulder. Baekhyun’s gaze was fixed on something in between the small, narrow alley way between two shops; dark and grimy, it was full of garbage bags, filled to the brim. The decomposing smell of the alley was enough to make Chanyeol’s stomach turn.

“Baek,” he whispered, worried. “Bunny, what’s wrong?”

To his surprise, Baekhyun raised his hand, pointing at a large cluster of black garbage bags, something caramel lay, draped over the top of them.

“Wolf,” he said simply, pointing at the caramel shape. “Mister Wolf is sleepy.”

Following Baekhyun’s finger, Chanyeol’s eyes widened when he saw a disheveled looking Golden Retriever, its old, broken body stretched out across the rubbish bags. To his surprise, Baekhyun left his side and crept quietly towards the dog, his hand outstretched.

“Don’t be scared, Mister Wolf,” he cooed. “I won’t hurt you.”

The Golden Retriever whined as Baekhyun crept closer still. Trying to get away, it wriggled backwards, falling from the garbage bags. Baekhyun stopped, his eyes wide. Quickly turning to Chanyeol, he beckoned him.

“Mister Giant!” he hissed as quietly as possible. “Mister Wolf has been eating jam!”

“Jam?” Chanyeol asked, his eyebrows raised. When Baekhyun stepped aside, the malnourished dog in full view, Chanyeol’s heart fell. “Oh no.”

Rushing forward, Chanyeol shrugged out of his winter coat, placing it atop the dog. It whined in pain at the touch of the jacket. “He’s been hit by a car. We need to get him to a vet!”

 


 

With his gaze cast downwards, Baekhyun sat on the hard plastic chair in the waiting room, his backpack hugged closely to his chest. Two big doors stood a short distance off, leading to somewhere beyond the hallway of the veterinary clinic’s waiting room; somewhere where Mister Wolf lay, scared and alone. That thought was enough to make Baekhyun’s eyes water.

The clinic’s receptionist had caught him no less than four times attempting to sneak past the doors and into the operating room and she had to lecture him sternly each time. Puffing out his cheeks, Baekhyun would glare at her whenever she hurried between her desk and the printer.

“Bunny,” Chanyeol whispered, wrapping an arm around Baekhyun’s shoulder and pulling him into a gentle hug. “Are you okay?”

“Mister Wolf is alone,” Baekhyun replied, his heart breaking. “Why can’t we see him?”

Chanyeol bit his lip. The vet had explained that the dog’s body was broken and the chance of surviving surgery was very slim, but Chanyeol knew he couldn’t tell Baekhyun that. Instead, he settled for something more easily accepted. “Because he’s resting right now.”

“Oh,” said Baekhyun with a nod. “Okay. Can I have a nap, too?”

“Sure,” Chanyeol replied, running his fingers through Baekhyun’s hair soothingly. “But can I ask you something first?” He waited for Baekhyun to respond drowsily before continuing. “Why weren’t you afraid of that dog?” Chanyeol asked. “I thought you were afraid of them.”

Baekhyun pondered this for a few moments before responding. “Because,” he said quietly, closing his eyes. “You said that because I was a bunny, you were a wolf. Mister Giant isn’t bad, Mister Giant is a good wolf. A wolf that I love. So why would this wolf be any different? I’m not afraid of Mister Wolf – I’m afraid of Puppy.”

Chanyeol smiled, resting his cheek atop Baekhyun’s head. “Sleep, little bunny.”

 

 

 

 

I've been writing fluff too often, so
I thought I'd spend my week working
on my Kaisoo fics.Mafia!au and angst!

Stargazer's Symphony may or may not
be my new baby.

Nevertheless, here - have an update.

This is for all of you (too many to dedicate) who have
asked for Baekhyun to 'get over his fears of puppies.'
Not quite so much a puppy, but I find this a much more
meaningful way of getting a puppy, even if it is a bit older.


On another note, when I said 'aside from '
in the footnotes a few chapters ago, that means 
there won't be any . I'm sorry guys.
I don't know how to write .

If you want to write innocent!Baek/Wolf!Yeol, go for it. (:
 

 

Baek Bunny loves Pinkie Pie.
and Mister Giant.