Christmas at Joon's. (What could go wrong?)

Baek to the Basics

“Christmas lunch,” Chanyeol repeated for the umpteenth time that morning. “We are going to Joonmyeon’s house for Christmas lunch.”

After allowing Baekhyun the morning to play with his Christmas presents (and watch at least three episodes of the newest My Little Pony volume), Chanyeol had coaxed him to leave his gifts alone and get ready to head out for the afternoon. That, however, was always easier said than done and Baekhyun had refused to move from the television before the very last ending credit had disappeared from the screen.

Insisting that, because they were going to a Christmas gathering, he had to wear the jumper that Yoora had knitted him, Baekhyun was incredibly confused when Chanyeol tugged the fleecey rabbit hood over his head.

“But it’s not festive!” he protested, before Chanyeol dropped something red and soft atop his head: a Santa hat. A broad grin spread across Baekhyun’s face almost immediately and he spent the rest of the journey to Joonmyeon’s house bellowing “Ho ho ho!” at the top of his lungs.

“Will Yoora be there?” Baekhyun asked as he hurried along Chanyeol’s side, trying to peek into the large bag that Chanyeol had slung over his shoulder, his friends’ Christmas gifts stuffed inside.

With a nod, Chanyeol turned to face Baekhyun, a small smile on his lips. “Yes,” he said. “Joonmyeon’s sister, Jisoo, will be there too.” He was pleased that Baekhyun got along so well with his sister. A little bit too well, however. Deep down, Chanyeol hoped that yesterday’s shopping trip would be the only one.

“Really?” Baekhyun asked, excited. “Kris, too?”

“Yes,” Chanyeol repeated with a groan. “Kris is always there.”

 


 

The moment they entered Joonmyeon’s house, they were engulfed in a blanket of warmth. When the scent of roasting vegetables reached Baekhyun’s nostrils, his mouth began to water. Shooting a longing gaze into the kitchen where the table was decorated with tinsel and candles, Baekhyun reluctantly followed Chanyeol into the loungeroom, his stomach (and mind) protesting.

Perched on the edge of the coffee table, their tiny legs dangling over the side and donning tiny Christmas sweaters and hats were Baekhyun’s friends. The feeling of hunger disappeared quickly and Baekhyun was instead filled with happiness. Bounding over to them, he took a seat, cross legged on the ground.

“Ho, ho, ho!” he puffed happily. “I’m Santa Clause today!”

With a small smile, Yixing gestured to his tiny red hat, a golden bell that was fastened to the end jingled softly as he moved. “So are we.”   

“You need a beard to be Santa Clause,” Kyungsoo observed. “You should work on that.”

Baekhyun’s eyes went wide and he snapped his fingers together. “I do!” Turning to Chanyeol, he pouted. “Mister Giant, I can’t be Santa Clause without a beard!”

“Yes you can,” Chanyeol chuckled. “You make a very cute one without a beard, Santa Bunny.”

Turning to his side to talk to Joonmyeon, Chanyeol let out a quiet sigh of relief. For once, instead of pestering him, Yoora had decided to arrive early and was not sitting nearby, chatting happily to Jisoo, a sleeping Jongdae curled up on her shoulder.

Noticing Chanyeol’s gaze, Joonmyeon exhaled loudly. “She tried to make Christmas cookies this morning,” he explained.

“I don’t see a problem with that.”

“Well,” Joonmyeon chuckled, dragging his fingertips through his messy hair. “The last time she tried to bake anything, she almost set fire to the kitchen curtains.” He made a face, his nose crinkling. “But, she enlisted everyone’s help. Before I got a chance to try and help, Jongin had gotten into the flour and left footprints everywhere, Minseok had pushed the milk carton off of the kitchen counter and Yixing had somehow gotten himself trapped inside the vegetable crisper.”

Chanyeol arched his eyebrows in amazement, but before he got a chance to reply, Joonmyeon interrupted him. “Apparently Jongdae had convinced him to venture into the fridge,” he said warily. “I don’t know how they managed to close the door on him. If Kris hadn’t of found him straight away ... But, that’s in the past – what’s important, however, is that lunch will be ready soon!”

Baekhyun’s ears pricked at the word ‘lunch’, a broad smile spreading across his face. He was going to have as much roast pumpkin and lamb as his stomach would let him.

 


 

“Don’t touch that, Sehun – it’s hot!”

“Luhan, no! That’s not edible!”

“Jongdae, you do not flick peas at others! Jisoo, the same goes for you!”

“Put the fork down, Jongin! It is not a weapon! – No, you are not a knight. Down!”

Leaning back in his chair, his stomach bloated, Chanyeol let out a content sigh as he watched Joonmyeon rush around, trying to control his miniature family as they ran across the table, knocking things over. Tilting his head to the side, he turned his attention to Baekhyun who sat, rosy cheeked, on his chair, dabbing his mouth with a napkin.

He found himself feeling proud that Baekhyun was so well behaved, so perfect. The others, however … Poor Joonmyeon.

 


 

Present time was perhaps Baekhyun’s favourite part of the day. Not because he got to open gifts, but because he got to do it – twice! With his hands in his lap, Baekhyun watched on eagerly as his tiny friend wrestled with wrapping paper and tangled themselves in curling ribbon in an attempt to open their gifts.

With each passing minute, he inched closer and closer to the edge of the couch, leaning forward to get a closer look under the tree. When all of the gifts had been given out, Baekhyun tried his hardest not to frown. There was nothing left under the tree for him.

Baekhyun had to remind himself that he had already opened his gifts – this was his friends’ Christmas celebration now. Scooting to the back of the cushion, Baekhyun twisted his fingers, his gaze cast downwards.

A small smile played across Chanyeol’s face as he got to his feet, extending a hand to Baekhyun. “Don’t worry,” he said softly. “We haven’t forgotten you. This present is special … It couldn’t be wrapped.”

Taking Chanyeol’s hand, Baekhyun stood, his head tilted to the side in curiosity. With a quiet laugh, Chanyeol gestured first to Yoora and Jisoo, then to Joonmyeon and Kris who were trying desperately to untangle Yixing from curling ribbon.

“It’s a gift from all of us.”

Silently, Baekhyun followed Chanyeol through the house, coming to a halt out the front of the laundry door. Shooting an uncertain glance towards Chanyeol, Baekhyun let go of his hand.

“Your present is inside, Bunny,” Chanyeol said quietly, placing a gentle kiss on Baekhyun’s forehead. “Happy Christmas.”

Hesitantly, Baekhyun reached for the door, pushing it open carefully. In the corner of the room, a washing basket had been tipped on its side, a pile of blankets sat at the base. Curled up atop the blankets was a small fluffy ball of caramel. Baekhyun’s heart skipped a beat, his hands flying to his mouth.

Puppy?”  

 

 

Baek to Baek updates!
/shot for terrible pun
Honestly, I think some of you only read this for Pinkie Pie, haha!
I'll try and find fun images for the bottom of each chapter~^^

 

Short update. I know.
It's currently 12:21am Christmas morning.
Time for bed.

Merry Christmas.  
♥ 


PS: I promise I won't kill this dog...
Kira won't let me.