A Gift from the Heart

Baek to the Basics

With his kitten-eared beanie tugged firmly over his head and snowflake pattern mittens so thick that he could barely bend his hands, Baekhyun skipped after Yoora, a happy giggle escaping his lips. He was excited to be given the chance to go shopping with Chanyeol’s sister so that he could but Chanyeol the best Christmas present ever.

For the past two days, Baekhyun had been at loss as to what the perfect gift for Chanyeol would be. He had stayed up late trying to brainstorm, only for his mind to run blank. Should he purchase paints? Chanyeol would get a lot of use out of those. But what if he didn’t like them? Baekhyun wanted to get him something he would treasure – something he would like.

Chanyeol liked Baekhyun.

But Baekhyun knew he could no longer fit into a box, nor could he tie a bow around his waist and call himself a present – he had already given himself to Chanyeol as a gift before and, judging by what Yoora had told him, Chanyeol did not like re-gifting.

If there was one thing Baekhyun was sure of, however, that was Yoora knew her brother well. With her help, Baekhyun was certain that by the end of the day, he would come home with the perfect gift. That was a reassuring thought at least.

“Yoora, Yoora!” Baekhyun called when he realised that he had stopped walking entirely to ponder. “Wait for me!”

Slowing down, Yoora smiled at Baekhyun as he trotted up to her side, his mittened hands clutching his kitten eared beanie to stop it from slipping off. Taking his hand in her own to stop him from getting lost in the sea of people, Yoora guided Baekhyun through the crowded shopping centre.

“You seem to be deep in thought,” she observed with a small nod. “Is everything okay?”

Baekhyun frowned, as he peered into the display window of the nearest store. “I want to find Mister Giant the best present,” he said quietly.

With a knowing smile, Yoora let go of Baekhyun’s hand, giving the kitten ear on his beanie a playful tug. “You know,” she said slowly. “Christmas isn’t about giving somebody an expensive gift or trying to outdo others. It’s about spending time with those you love the most.”

“And giving the one I love the most the best gift,” Baekhyun finished knowingly and Yoora laughed softly.

“No,” she explained, but stopped when she saw the determination in Baekhyun’s eyes. “A gift for someone special is supposed to come from the heart.”

“My heart?” Baekhyun asked, tilting his head to the side in confusion. “But Mister Giant already has my heart!”

Yoora rolled her eyes good-naturedly before taking hold of Baekhyun’s hand once more. “A handmade gift,” she said simply. “That is a gift that truly comes from the heart.”

 


 

Weighed down with their shopping, Yoora and Baekhyun moved through the busy city square, glancing into the shop displays as they went, triple checking that they had not forgotten anything. Reaching out quickly, Baekhyun took hold of Yoora’s sleeve, giving it a gentle tug.

“There is one more place,” he said, his cheeks and nose red from the cold. “One more gift that I would like to buy. Please wait for me.”

Yoora took the shopping bags from Baekhyun and watched him weave his way back through the crowd. Her brows knitted together in confusion as Baekhyun neared the store.

“Baek, wait! That’s –“

 


 

The afternoon was overcast, a fresh blanket of snow covered almost every surface, turning the world below into a winter wonderland. Baekhyun wanted nothing more than to get home, put on his teddy slippers and watch My Little Pony wrapped up in a warm blanket. But there was still one more thing he had left to do.

“Can we stop here, please?” he asked as Yoora walked him home.

Yoora turned to him, confused. “Here? In the middle of the park? Why?”

Dipping his hand into one of the many shopping bags draped over his arms, Baekhyun offered her a small smile. “You said that Christmas gifts are for the ones I love the most,” he said quietly, finally fishing his gift out of the bag. “I would like to give a gift to another that I love.”

Placing the paper bags on the frost-covered park bench, Baekhyun hurried off the path, stopping a short distance away and crouched down, placing his gift atop a small mound of snow and dirt. “Happy Christmas, Bear.”

 


 

 

Baekhyun found it hard to sleep that night. Instead of resting, he was wide awake, focused on listening in for any sounds of sleigh bells – or perhaps the sound of Santa Clause coming down the chimney that Chanyeol had made. When that sound did not come, Baekhyun’s heart ached.

Had Santa Clause forgotten about him?  Turning to his side, Baekhyun shook Chanyeol’s shoulder gently until the other woke.

“What’s wrong?” he asked groggily, squinting through the darkness. Baekhyun sniffed loudly, resisting the urge to hold back tears.

“Santa Clause hasn’t been yet,” he croaked. “He’s forgotten about us.”

Sleepily, Chanyeol closed his eyes, pulling Baekhyun into a hug. “He hasn’t forgotten,” Chanyeol said, stifling a yawn. “But he won’t come unless you go to sleep.”

A quiet – drowsy - chuckle escaped Chanyeol’s lips as he watched Baekhyun carefully. He had never seen somebody fall asleep that fast before.

 


 

With his stocking stuffed with presents and sweets, Baekhyun’s rosy cheeks were glowing with pure happiness. The chimney had worked! Santa Clause hadn’t forgotten about them after all!  But perhaps what Baekhyun was most excited for was the chance to give Chanyeol his Christmas gift – something Baekhyun had spent all the previous evening working on (and would scold Chanyeol whenever he came too near).

Hurrying to the Christmas tree, Baekhyun scooped up his neatly wrapped (thanks to Yoora) Christmas present and proudly offered it to Chanyeol, his eyes glittering with excitement.

“Yoora told me that I should only buy presents for the ones that I love,” he explained, watching Chanyeol turn the thin present over in his hands. “She also said that gifts need to come from the heart, but I’ve already given you mine so … I needed to think of something else.”

Carefully, Chanyeol peeled away the wrapping paper, his eyes widening with shock at the gift. It wasn’t anything big, nor was it anything fancy. It was a sketch book. Flicking through the pages, Chanyeol couldn’t help but smile.  Not a single page had been left blank. Instead, the sketch book had been filled with Baekhyun’s drawings and small letters about just how much his Mister Giant meant to him.

You are my world. I love you, Mister Giant. Merry Christmas.  

 

 

 

 

Second last Christmas update.
Hoping to get the last one up either tomorrow or Boxing Day.

PS:
Sorry Jee. Soon!~ ♥