Chapter 5

Everything Unexpected

You followed the students and walked out of the studio when the bell rang, not bothering to change out of your dance clothes---they were more comfortable anyway. After your quote-unquote battle and the angry stares from your fellow classmates, you were so ready to go back to your studio and take a long nap to forget everything that just happened, at least for a little while. You began making your way down the hallway and towards your locker.

"That wasn't half bad, you know. I voted for you," a voice suddenly came from behind you, making you jump a bit. You turned around and immediately came face to face with Hoseok.

You blinked, unsure of what to say or how to act. Even though you froze physically, your mind screamed, what the ________?! Do something! You don't want this to get awkward do you? Especially in front of him! You were about to laugh awkwardly when he stuck out his hand. "Jung Hoseok," he smiled brightly and winked. "I believe we've met yesterday."

You were about to thank heaven right then and there. Thank god he didn't seem like an awkward person---you couldn't even imagine if he had been, especially since you were a socially awkward person yourself. You relaxed and shook his hand, which was smooth and firm by the touch. "Nice to meet you," you smiled back. "I can't believe you remember me from the concert."

"Oh, it wasn't hard at all," he let go of your hand and replied. "You were just so different than the others there." He followed you as you continued down the hall in a respectful and comfortable manner, and you gladly assumed he wanted to chat more. You walked to your locker and proceeded to stuff your notebooks into your backpack. "Really? I guess I was just paying attention to the show," you explained.

"Well, in case you hadn't notice yesterday, all the other fans were screaming their hearts out at the sight of their dear 'oppas'," Hoseok chuckled. "By the way, did you learn street dance in the States by any chance?"

You turned around in surprise. "How did you know?!" You almost exclaimed.

"Your dance style," he replied simply. Seeing your confused expression, he crossed his arms and leaned on the locker next to yours as he went on to explain, "You barely see anybody dance like that in Korea, except for the underground dancers. I've been to a couple of battles in the States, and you danced just like them. By the way, don't take those students seriously. They're just not used to you and your dance style."

Hearing that pretty much made your day as you felt a burden lifted from your back. "Well, you're dead right," you chuckled and admitted. "I was born in Korea but moved to live in the States with my family when I was eight. I picked up hip hop almost as soon as I arrived."

Hoseok raised an eyebrow, obviously impressed. You grabbed your SnapBack and wore it backward before shutting your locker and walked with him towards the school gate. "Wow," he said, "that's a long time you danced. You must have a lot of dance friends over the years."

At the sound of this, your smile wavered ever so slightly, remembering the times when you danced with your friends back then. What you didn't tell Hoseok were the other things you did with them.

Subconsciously you hand creeped up to your neck as you reached for your necklace.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hoseok felt strangely satisfying and proud of how he made you crack a smile after that gloomy dance class.

As he was approaching you, it was the first time he actually go a good look at you, since it was quite dark at the concert and he was concentrating on your dance during class. You were slightly shorter than him but lean and sturdy. Although you were not as curvy as the other girls in the school, something about how you moved compensated for that and made your figure look lively and energetic. You didn't wear any makeup, and your short bob hair was slightly damp from the sweat. You pulled off your baggy dance clothes amazingly and seemed relaxed and perfectly comfortable in them. He wouldn't say you were the prettiest girl he had met (because duh, he worked in the entertainment industry, which never lacked perfect-looking people), but your smile was one of the most dazzling and beautiful he had ever seen.

Besides this, he was genuinely impressed at your dance experience. He had always wished for a chance to study hip hop in the States, and to actually meet a person with such a background like you up close was definitely thrilling. He immediately decided you were a person he would make great friends with.

He glanced down at you as you two walked out of the building and saw you fiddling with your necklace, something he observed you did through the whole dance class. You rolled the pendant, a plain, solid metal cube the size of your pinky nail with a tiny clear crystal embedded in the front, between your long, lean fingers. "What's up with the necklace anyway?" He asked curiously. "I saw you playing around with it during class, too."

"Oh, it's nothing," you quickly replied, letting the pendant go. "Just a habit." You stuffed your hands in your pants pockets and continued, "I bought it at an antique store near my house a couple of years ago. You know what the lady at the store said?" You glanced up at Hoseok and met him with twinkling eyes. "She said that if I wear it for long enough time, it will break when I fall for the true love of my life." You chuckled and added, "but I just wear it because it looks cool. I don't believe in that sort of thing."

Hoseok and you were walking past the gates when he heard Jungkook from behind, "Hyung! Wait up!" He turned around, and sure enough, there was Jungkook running towards him while waving goodbye to a bunch of girls.

He was about to wave when you turned around and Junkook almost stopped dead in his track. The younger pointed at you and almost shouted, "Chicken ARMY??!!"

----------------------------------------------------------------

You turned around as you saw Hoseok look back, and nothing could have prepared you to see Jungkook running towards you two and shouting, "chicken ARMY??!!"

"J-Jungkook-ssi...?" You greeted him hesitantly with wide eyes. What's it with this school and BTS anyway?! And what the hell is ARMY?!

"You go to this school?" Jungkook asked as he walked closer. "How come I've never seen you before?"

Before you could answer, Hoseok cut in, "wait, you guys know each other? And what the hell is chicken ARMY?"

"We met yesterday, hyung," Jungkook explained. "She was one of the fans at the convenient store yesterday when I was buying fried chicken."

"Yah, you little brat," Hoseok punched Jungkook lightly on the shoulder. "That's noona for you, not chicken ARMY or whatever." He added, "________ and I are in the same grade."

Jungkook's expression turned from disbelief to embarrassment, and you had to control yourself from laughing. "S-sorry ________ noona," flustered, he bowed and scratched his neck awkwardly. "I didn't know." He looked up and, to your astonishment, looked at you with puppy eyes and added, "please don't be angry at me."

You found that unbelievably cute and giggled as you said, "it's okay, don't worry. I'm not mad." You stuck out your hand, "nice to meet you!"

Jungkook's face immediately lid up as he grinned brightly and shook your hand.

"Oh, there's manager hyung's car," Hoseok said as he glanced at the street. "We better get going, Jungkook-ah." He turned to you and smiled , "we have to go now. It's nice meeting you."

Jungkook let go of your hand and explained, "we have another schedule now, so see you next time noona!"

You smiled and waved as Hoseok and Jungkook walked away. "Yeah, see you next time," you said. After watching them get into the grey van parked at the street intersection, you turned around and started walking to the bus station. Your phone buzzed, signaling a text from Sandy:

So, how was first day?

You grinned and texted back:

You wouldn't believe who I met today.

Omg who?

Hoseok and Jungkook

As soon as you sent that, you mentally prepared for what was going to come.

HOLY HOSEOK AND JUNGKOOK????!!!!!

You chuckled:

Yeah

YOU BETTER GO BACK HOME RIGHT THIS INSTANT AND DO NOT LEAVE MISSY. I WANT TO HEAR ALL THE JUICY DETAILS.

You texted as you board the bus:

Jesus chill out San. I'm on the bus right now.

She texted back:

I'LL BE OVER IN TEN.