Chapter 9 Flashback

Everything Unexpected

The almost-nine-year-old you peered into the strange yet exciting room curiously and were immediately amazed at the overall vibe of it: strong, upbeat music playing from a boom box, colorful graffitis covering the walls, and --- most fascinating of all --- the older dancers practicing all kinds of hip hop dance with such intense energy. All of them were guys and wore loose-fitting clothes, some also wore SnapBacks. There were a few kids --- also boys --- about your age but probably older than you, and it seemed like they  were watching and learning from the big kids. You slowly stepped into the studio, trying not to attract any attention, at least not yet. 

However, you plan backfired almost immediately as one of the boys spotted you in the reflection of the mirror and turned towards the door. He looked like one of the oldest out of the kids group --- probably a couple of years older than you. After catching the sight of you walking into the studio and glancing around curiously, he motioned the other boys to you, and the next thing you knew it, they were waking over. 

You wanted to shrink yourself to a minuscule speck as they stopped in front of you. "Hey girl!" A boy smirked and said. You took a step back and blinked at them, unsure of what to say or what to do. 

The boy who first spotted you rolled his eyes and said to him, "stop it, Leebo, you're scaring her." He then turned to you. "You must be new here, right? I've never seen you before." He said in a relaxed tone. 

You nodded, still a little taken aback by them. 

The boy gave you a smile. "I'm Lin," he said and then pointed to each of the boys, "and this is Leebo, Junn, and Neo. The one over there" --- he motioned to a boy whose dancing with the older people and was slightly older than himself --- "is SeVen. What's your name?" 

Although you were slightly overwhelmed by all the names, you were over the initial shock. "________," you answered in a small voice as you eyed Lin. 

"Well, welcome to TL, ________" Lin stuck out his hand and you shook it hesitantly. "Come on in."