Chapter 13

Everything Unexpected

"Oh my God will you CALM THE DOWN?!" You yelled at Sandy as she screamed on the top of her lungs and jumped around your studio in a frenzy of fangirlness. It had already been ten minutes since you broke the news about going to meet with Hoseok at school, and she did nothing but screech and shout and run and hop and spazz while you put away the cups and tried to dodge from her flaring arms. Her "condition" had improved a bit from the instant you told her, since she wasn't yelling in your face and ears anymore, but it still looked like she wasn't going to calm down any time soon. You sighed, deciding to leave her alone for the time being and went to your closet to get dressed. 

As you stared at your neatly-hung clothes, however, you found yourself debating extensively on what to wear. Against your usual self, you were thinking of putting on something fancy. I haven't seen him in a while, so I should dress something special, right?

No! Why should you?! So what if you haven't met in a while? You didn't dress fancy the times before!

But... I don't know... Maybe just something a bit more jazzy...?

Jesus ________! Listen to yourself! You sound like you're trying to flirt and impress him! That's... Just no! You're going to the studio anyway, so what's the point of dressing up?! 

But what if the school closed early? We'll have to go somewhere else, right? So wouldn't it be weird to go to, say, a cafe in my dance clothes? 

Okay now you're just making excuses ________. Firstly of all, you know the school is not closed yet. And secondly, Hoseok's an idol for god's sake! How can he be seen with not one girl, but TWO girls in public?! 

Whatever! Maybe he'll appreciate it or something! 

You watched as your hands wandered between a logo t-shirt with a warm, oversized hoodie and a knit sweater with a heavy necklace. You bit your lips and squinted at the garments, unable to decide on this seemingly simple choice. After a couple of minutes, you growled in frustration and gave up. "Uuuuuurgh!!!" You shook your head and ruffled your hair as you turned around to look at Sandy, who had calmed down significantly only because of how tired she was. 

"So what are we waiting for???!!!" She shrieked while grabbing her purse and running over to the full-body mirror at the door. She pulled out a mascara and started brushing it on her already sky-high lashes, then produced a coral lipstick and applied it with intense care and precision. She led down her messy bun and tossed her brown curly locks around in a dozen different ways. Lastly, she adjusted her shirt and cardigan anxiously with a frown.

Watching her fuss over her appearance, you chuckled and came to your decision. Turning back to your closet, you reached for the hoodie and quickly changed. She's the beauty as always, you smiled truthfully as you pulled on your semi-skinny jeans, I'll be the joker and let her be the princess today. Once in a while like today, you couldn't help but envy her appearance, although it was more like admire with no negative intentions.

"Ready?" Checking the time, you called and reached for your SnapBack, not forgetting to also stuff some spare change, door key, phone, and earphones into your pocket. 

"Yep!!" Sandy squealed back. Before you could response, she grabbed you and dragged your to the door with such force that you felt your arm was almost torn off. She quickly stepped into her heeled, knee-high designer boots while you laced your beat-up Nike high-tops. Taking a last look in the mirror, she hopped out the door and excitedly jabbed at the button of the elevator several times as you locked your studio. 

Surprised that you weren't complaining about her fangirling as usual, Sandy asked as she stepped into the elevator, "Yah, did the High West scare you this less?" 

"What the hell, San," you chuckled, not really denying it. "It's called being nice, alright? I'll leave you alone with your fangirling so you can enjoy your time today. It's a thank you gift, remember?" You said with a wink. 

The elevator came to a stop and you walked out of the building together. Because the weather got warmer since the morning and the temperature was actually nice, you two decided to walk to school. Along the way you endured Sandy's constant squeal as best as you could, even though the weird stares from other pedestrians were slightly bugging you. You lowered the rim of your SnapBack to avoid eye contact with them. 

While Sandy went on and on about how excited she was to meet the BTS member, you were actually thinking about the same thing, although not in the same way. It was clear that, even though the last time you saw him was only about a week ago and you constantly saw him on TV, you missed Hoseok a lot --- the feeling of missing someone was not foreign to to you at all. But there was something different about missing him, and you weren't sure as to what it was. 

Maybe it was the way his cheeks rounded whenever he smiled widely, or how his  soft hair flew everywhere when he danced, or perhaps how his silly actions never failed to make you laugh. You kicked at a small pile of dead leaves on the ground and sighed; the unknown reason bothered you more than you expected.

"... And then we should go to a carnival or something so I can make all of them play those shooting games to get the fluffy stuffed animal prizes! Wouldn't that be great?!" You didn't even have to think to know that Sandy was fantasizing about a day she would want to spend with the BTS members. You meant, you didn't know any other person --- yourself included --- that she would talk about with such enthusiasm and liveliness. She was about to go into the details of the dinner plan of her hepta-date with the boys when she suddenly halted, mid-mid sentence and mid-step.

You looked up to her from underneath your cap rim and frowned, "what's wrong?" 

"Oh. My. God. He's... Here..." 

You looked up, puzzled. And then you saw him. 

How the did Sandy recognize him even with a mask on...?

Well, you recognized him too, so that was kind of beside the point.  

In the distance, Hoseok came to a halt on his bike and swung his long leg over to come off. He wore a heavy leather jacket, loose jeans, and sneakers while carrying the canvas backpack like he usually did whenever you got to hang out together. Taking his cap off while letting the bike lean on his body, he ruffled his hair and took off his face mask as well. After stuffing them into his backpack, he started walking towards the school gates while pushing the bike, oblivious of your presence. 

A smirk grew on your face. "Are you gonna come or do I have to drag you over again?" You nudged Sandy, who was frozen yet again. 

"No thank you!" She came back to her senses suddenly and half-shouted quickly. "Don't you DARE do that again, okay? The last time was horrible!" She took a large breath, summoning up her courage, "I'll go myself this time." 

"O~kay then," as soon as she finished speaking, you chuckled and, taking a last look at how nervous she was, broke into a sprint towards the gates. "Whenever you're ready!!" Laughing, you called as you hear her groaned in frustration behind you. Soon you heard her high heels clicking against the ground as she ran after you. 

As you sprinted towards Hoseok, your felt your heart pounded loudly and quickly. Something told you it wasn't from the running.

All you could think of was seeing his face again and giving him a big, tight hug to express how much you missed him. As much as you did skinship with your friends and even guy friends in the States, you hadn't hugged Hoseok before. 

Suddenly, you felt your cheeks warmed up at the though of that. Your heart rate sped up even more as you got closer. 

Wait a minute, why are you getting excited to hug him in the first place?!