Chapter 17

Everything Unexpected

"Ohhhh hell no!" Hoseok exclaimed the moment he entered his email account on his phone and saw the email sent from the Student Academic Office. "I'm gonna be so screwed!" Skimming through the content of the email, he didn't even finish reading before sighing in frustration. 

Jungkook, who was sitting behind him in the packed van, peeked over and, after seeing the cause of the elder's distress, stuck out his tongue. "Glad you finally caught up, hyung," he mocked. Seeing Hoseok's confused look, he held up what looked like a notebook in the dim light and smirked, "our exams are around the same time. Why else would you see me studying?"

Hoseok scoffed and thought, of course. Even though Jungkook disliked studying, he was the Golden Maknae after all, which meant he'd do anything to be the best in whatever he did even if he hated it. He somewhat admired the younger for this, as he himself was close to saying " it" to the tests if it weren't because of his status as a Kpop idol---just think about it: what would people think if news got out that he failed high school?

"Yah Hopie," Namjoon called from the shotgun seat, "if you don't stop complaining and start getting your s together and review, you really are going to screw up." 

Pfffffff, and of course he would be the one reminding me, Hoseok rolled his eyes in the dark and turned off his phone. Bangtan leader or not, there was no denying that Namjoon was beast when it came to academics. 

It wasn't like Hoseok didn't want to study, and it wasn't like he didn't want good grades either. The reason why he was irritated about the matter was the fact that he had absolutely no clue as to where to start reviewing in the first place. Due to the busy schedules that had started even before the school year did, he could count how many days he had actually been in class with his fingers and even have some to spare. As a result, his notes were a jumble of mess and most of what he wrote didn't make any sense since he missed the things that were taught when he was out. 

As if reading his thoughts, Yoongi cut in, "at this rate, you'll have to get a tutor or." 

"I'm sure that can be arranged if it happens to come to that," the manager added, agreeing with the rapper. 

"Why don't you just ask your friends at school for help?" Seokjin offered. "Like Dongjun or Shimchan or something." 

At the mention of this, Hoseok scoffed, "oh please, spare me! Tutoring me with their grades? I'd be better off studying on my own." No offense to them, but even though Dongjun, Jaehyun, Shimchan, and Minsik were some of the best dancers in all of SOPA,  their academic grades were pitifully low. He plugged his earbuds in his phone and shuffled his playlist as he stared out the window, inattentively listening to the music. 

Despite how much he disliked it, Hoseok had to admit that the hyungs were right. If he wanted to get any chance of passing the exams, he would have to start getting help now. To be honest, with his popularity at school, he would have no trouble getting the female students to lend him their notes or even tutor him since he knew more than a handful of them were BTS fangirls. But somehow it felt weird for him to do so---the thought of randomly going up to a girl he'd never talked to and asking if they could spend time studying together bothered him a great deal for some reason. 

Well, unless that girl is...

Hoseok widened his eyes as a smile created onto his face, his mind suddenly spinning with thoughts. After several moments of perfecting his idea, he grinned proudly and gave himself a pad on the back in his mind for coming up with such a genius plan. He remembered you once mentioned to him how you had already learned the things the teachers taught at SOPA in the States, so you would have no problem with any of the test topics. Aka perfect tutor candidate. 

But that was only a small portion of why he felt so content. His guts did a somersault at the thought of introducing you to the members, seeing you in their dorm when they come back from a full day of schedules, and maybe even  have you come along with them so you could tutor him on the road or in the waiting room. He chuckled slightly at the thoughts, since when did you become so excited to see ________? 

Ummmm, probably since the first time he met you, duh. 

Is this normal?

"Okayyyyyy hyung it's getting creepy you can stop smiling now," sitting beside him, Taehyung said suddenly, snapping Hoseok out of his daydream. 

"W-what?" Caught off guard, he stuttered back. 

The younger narrowed his eyes at him. "You do realize that you've been grinning like an idiot and chuckling occasionally for almost ten minutes now, right?"

----------------------------------------------------------------

The opaque, grey sky let weak light through your thin curtains as you woke up on Saturday morning with a lazy stretch and several yawns while rolling around in your bed. Out of habit, you reached for your phone on the small nightstand to check the time, only to immediately break out a grin as you saw a text hat Hoseok left you at three o'clock in the morning:

Hey do you wanna get a part time job? Exams are coming up and I need a tutor for help. I already talked to my manager and he said its gonna be nice pay. You up for it?

Your heart almost leaped out of your throat in excitement when you finished reading. The thought of spending time with Hoseok seemed to have a weird, thrilling effect on you, and you weren't going to complain about it one bit. You hastily texted back: 

Yeah sure! But what time tho? You're definitely not gonna have a set time for tutoring, am I right or am I right? XD

As you sent your text back, you had to admit that, aside from the opportunity of getting to see Hoseok, you jumped for the offer also because of the money. Sure, you weren't lacking much on the financial side, but the fact that the person who provided it for you was your father made you grind your teeth and hate yourself. 

The minute you decided to leave the States you had promised yourself to quit spending that old bastard's money as soon as you could. There was absolutely no way you were going to remain dependent on him, especially after what he had done to your family. 

Looking at your phone again, you were disappointed to see that Hoseok hadn't replied. You tried to persuade yourself that he was probably on schedule as you went to take a shower and wash up. 

After fixing up some simple eggs, bacon and toast breakfast, you decided to get a move on with your external exam assignments.  Obviously you couldn't really do the ones for sciences and dance in your studio, so you grabbed your M&S sketch book, some colored pencils, and earbuds and took them to your wide windowsill, which was furnished with a thin layer of cushion and a small pillow for coziness. You quickly plugged in your earbuds to your phone and turned up some relaxing tunes as you fixed a mug of warm honey lemon tea and took it to the window as well. After making yourself comfortable sitting on the windowsill with your knees propped up, you laid the sketchbook on your legs, grabbed a pencil, and got to work. 

You didn't know how much time had passed as you made sketch after sketch of faces with colorful makeup while littering the floor with balled up paper and eraser crumb. You were so absorbed in your work that you didn't realized it was raining until you stretched your arms for a break and looked out the window. Your heart jumped sharply, catching yourself off guard, and for a moment you simply stared at the streaks of water running down your window. You sighed and set your drawing utensils aside before pulling out your earbuds, suddenly unable to focus.

The wind slapped rain drops on to your window violently and the sky had darkened to an inky grey color. A suppressed growl of thunder could be heard from the distance, and before you knew it, the outside suddenly lid up so bright you had to squint your eyes. Next to the window, the air was even more moist with the smell of fresh rain. 

It had only occurred to you now that it was the first rain in Seoul that you were in since you arrived. 

You let one of your legs down to dangle from the windowsill and rested your head on the glass. Wearing a light hoodie, tank top, and long harem pants, you should have felt warm and cozy, especially with the warm tea next to you. Yet, when you stared at the grey world outside, you felt chills running down your spine as you slightly shivered. For some reason your heart was beating unusually fast as well, and somewhere deep inside you knew why---you were just too afraid to confront it. 

You reached for the mug for a sip of tea, only to hiss when you felt a sharp, sore pain from your right wrist as you were about to pick it up. You immediately retracted your arm and brought your hand up gingerly for a closer examination. On the outside, it looked like nothing was wrong, but as you slowly rolled your wrist around, you felt the aching, sore pain again, making you knit your brows and tighten your jaw. You sighed and stared at it, feeing a sudden pang in your chest. 

It's been a while.

Your eyes watered and your nose became sore as you stared blankly outside again. You could feel yourself slipping away in your mind as you saw their kind, familiar presents surrounding you. (Flashback) You rested your forehead on your knee as you squeezed your wrist tightly, barely registering the pain that it brought as you let the tears come and flow down your cheeks when you sniffed and let out a muffled sob. 

The stabbing pain in your heart was so much stronger.