Chapter 20

Everything Unexpected

It pleased you more than expected the moment Hoseok agreed to do the duet with you. As you sat cross legged in the dance studio waiting for the boys to show up with hip hop music resonating from the boom box softly, your lips betrayed you and pulled up into a grin.

In the beginning you thought of putting the idea forward only because 1. there were just so much more interesting things one could do with two dancers of opposite gender than just one dancer in a choreography, and 2. since he was the artist of the song, Hoseok could potentially give you some insight on how to use the music to the fullest in terms of feelings and lyrical meanings. But now that he actually said he wanted to dance with you, the only thing you could think of was where in the music the two of you could do partner collaborations.

Come on, ________! Be professional here! You mentally scolded at yourself. There's no way you're getting distracted and wasting a perfectly good choreo song by adding partner sections everywhere randomly!

A click of the door disturbed your train of thoughts as Jaehyun arrived. You quickly greeted each other and he put his things away. Pulling over an extra chair, you seated him down on the small couch and gave him a smirk as you set out your makeup kit. "Hehehehe... Are you ready for this?" You chuckled evilly and cracked a few knuckles before wiggling your fingers at the boy.

"Ugh why did I even agree?!" Jaehyun groaned in response, regretting his life choices. "You must have some charms or something ________ that made me say yes."

"No backing out now!" You gave him a smug smile. "Now stop talking and stay still."

After slipping a hair clip onto get his bangs out of the way, you flipped open your sketchbook and found the page with the male model. Examining both the drawing and Jaehyun's handsome face, you decided he didn't need foundation or concealer, given how nice and smooth his skin was on its own. Skipping over this step, you then picked out the right shades of eyeshadow from your palette as you instructed, "alright close your eyes."

Jaehyun frowned but complied. "Why do I feel like you're gonna do something weird...?" He asked suspiciously, his hands rubbing at his knees nervously.

"Calm down, will you?" You retorted, dabbing a brush in some undertone eyeshadow. "It's my exam after all and I wanna make it good." You softly applied the powder on his entire lids, biting your lips to contain a giggle as he flinched from the sudden contact.

Bit by bit your makeup design was coming to life on Jaehyun's face. You applied eyeshadow in thick layers and blended them out to perfection. During the process, though, you could help but notice how handsome he really was with sculpted brows, smooth skin, a high nose bridge, and thin, soft lips that parted from time to time as the two do you conversed. He should go into model business, you thought as you finished up the final touches of the eyeshadow part.

You twisted open the gold liquid eyeliner and carefully drew a thin line along Jaehyun's top lash line before dotting around the outer corners of his eyes. "It's almost done, just one last thing," you informed cheerfully. "Open you eyes."

His eyes fluttered open, blinking a times before focusing on you, and you just noticed how unusually long his lashes were. You reached for the black pencil eyeliner. "Now look up," you instructed.

And of course, Jaehyun had to be clueless enough to tilt his chin up sky high and look straight up to the ceiling. "Ummm, I don't see how this helps," he said, "unless you're gonna paint on my chin, I mean."

"Not like that, you idiot!" You retorted, rolling your eyes. "Nobody wants to see your nostrils, okay?" You placed your hands on either side to tilt his face so he was looking at you again.

Before you could pull back, the studio door clicked open again.

----------------------------------------------------------------

After peering through the door window for more than five minutes, Hoseok finally couldn't take it anymore. What the hell is her hands doing holding his cheeks?! The bubbling came back into his guts as he turned the handle. As soon as the door was out of the way, he narrowed his eyes and sent a glare to Jaehyun's so strong he himself was surprised that his head remained intact instead of being blasted into pieces.

"Oh good, you're here." The excess of nonchalantness in your voice sent a pang into his chest as you acknowledged his presence with nothing more than a glance to your shoulder. But the fact that your hands fell from Jaehyun's face made his breathing easier. "Just a minute, I'm almost done."

Apparently Jaehyun was aware enough to see the venom Hoseok was spewing towards him, because he blinked a few times --- probably surprised by his sudden ferocity --- before clearing his throat. "Umm, h-hey 'seok," he greeted hesitantly with a frown, "what's up with..."

Instead of looking at him, Hoseok could sense your suspicion of Jaehyun's voice and knew you were so going to turn around and see what the boy was referring to. Before his mind could process --- thank god it didn't waste time processing --- all he could feel was the muscles in his dance contorting into a casual grin just in time for you to set you eyes straight on him. God those gorgeous, deep eyes.

"Ahem," Hoseok quickly cleared his throat, "nothing."

"Okay if you say so," you shrugged absent-mindedly and, to his dismay, returned to facing Jaehyun. "I guess you can start warming up? I'm almost done."

"Errr, o-okay then," feeling awkward all of a sudden, Hoseok walked to the cabinet and set his backpack on the floor before fumbling through the drawers to find his change of dance clothes he'd always kept there. Somehow he felt like he was a third wheel intruding a romantic date of you and Jaehyun, and he didn't like it one bit. Sighing to himself, he headed for the studio door to got to the bathroom.

When Hoseok returned wearing his baggy, comfortable dance clothes, you were already putting away your camera and makeup kit with Jaehyun sitting in front of you looking like he walked straight out of a deep, magical forest as a fairy --- if male fairies existed, that was. Despite the unusually heavy eyeshadow and contouring, he had to admit, your design looked fantastic and even more amazing now that it was 3D instead of on paper. He smirked at Jaehyun's frown as the latter glanced at the mirror, obviously not used to wearing makeup, let alone so much of it.

"O~kay, it's all done now," you cheerfully announced and clapped your hands together in a cute, celebratory way as you looked at Jaehyun again. "Now unless you want to go outside looking like a demon of the night and scaring little children, I suggest you go wash all this off."

Hoseok couldn't be more glad to hear that.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

AND IM ALIVE!! So sorry I haven't updated in a long while T^T it's getting kind of hard to keep the story moving quickly, but I've got the rest pretty much plotted out, so that's good news :D I have a feeling this is going to be a super long fic so I do hope you guys stick around~