Burning Inside

Barefooted
Please log in to read the full chapter

Eunjung's P.O.V

The oh-so-great Seunghyun didn’t even try contacting me for the rest of the week and I preferred it stay that way.

It was Sunday and that meant we will be recording the music program, and I was gripping tightly into the strand of hope that I wouldn’t meet with Seunghyun. If we happen to cross paths then I will pretend I didn’t saw him and I will follow down my way, but if he comes after me then I will greet him casually, there is no need to make a big deal out of it, right?

I wanted to believe that, but at the time I was still a bit disappointed with him. After that invitation to have dinner in his house he didn’t even send me a text and that was proof enough that he wasn’t really interested and that he wasn’t serious about that supposed dinner either, but I couldn’t care less.

I was disappointed the last time by him and that was the final blow. I think it was for the better that we didn’t step up our relationship, perhaps just staying friends is the right decision.

Yeah, that must be it.

Walking back to my dressing room the same pattern from last week repeated itself.

I was keeping my mind free from thoughts about Seunghyun, and just when I was turning left into one of the hallways I stopped on my tracks at the mention of my name. I immediately recognized that voice and turn to smile at Taecyeon waving at me from the other side of the hallway.

He came to me and I grinned at him.

He smiled back, “so is our date still up for this week?”

I smiled at that and simply nodded before parting my lips to speak, “about that I wanted to talk.’”

He nodded, “so, what is it?”

“I invited the others, but they said they won’t make it,” I was a bit annoyed by that because I knew what they wanted and I didn’t like to lie to Taecyeon, but I wouldn’t possibly openly admit that my members didn’t want to go because they wanted to fetch me up with him, that will be really awkward and straightforward.

“Why?” He casually asked me.

That was exactly the question I wanted to avoid, but since he asked I guessed a little lie wouldn’t hurt, “they all have tight schedules…” yeah, that was the safest option.

“Oh,” he darted up a brow, “but you are still going, right?”

I smiled at that, “of course.”

I wanted to go, I had no problem with hanging out with him, but even if I didn’t want to go there was no option, Hyomin and Jiyeon were set to make me go by all means, so I was rather compromised. He didn’t have to know that part though.

“Okay then,” he said, “I will call you later to choose a place, but we agree it will be tomorrow, right?”

I nodded, “yeah.”

He smiled at me and then casually stare ahead and a knowing smirk graced his lips as he stared at whatever he was staring.

I frown at his expression and then a suggestive wiggle of eyebrows from his part send off an alarm inside me. I was sure I wasn’t going to like whatever he was staring at.

“I guess he is coming our way, should we greet him?” Taecyeon casually leaned towards me and whispered out.

I blinked at his proximity but shrugged my shoulders at his question, I wasn’t even sure who was he referring to, and I didn’t want to know because I feared the idea of it being Seunghyun.

To my misfortune, it was indeed him, or that Taecyeon assured me. I wanted to avoid him, but I didn't know what to do.

“So?” Taecyeon murmured, “he is approaching our way, do you want to greet him?"

I leaned forward strangling the gap between us before murmuring back, “just keep on talking to me like you were.”

He rolled his eyes at that, “but he is a senior, it will look rude if I ignore him, so I should at least bow to him, don’t you think?”

I let out a loud sigh, and without thinking straight I simply grabbed Taecyeon’s arm and stepped forward pulling him with me, there was no way I was going to face Seunghyun.

I start walking to the opposite direction and Taecyeon trailed after me casually draping an arm over my shoulders.

His arm muscles were heavy on my shoulders, so I stepped back from him and let his arm fall from my shoulders before I suddenly locked my arm with his arm into a comfortable position.

We were walking ignoring the stares people threw at our direction, and I knew better than to stare back.

It seemed like we were successful at avoiding Seunghyun, but we couldn't possibly avoid the attention we were turning to ourselves, so I didn't know whether to feel happy or annoy. 

Taecyeon just randomly started laughing softly, and I turn to face him frowning at his actions, “what?” I asked him.

“If you wanted to avoid him you just had to tell me, there was no need to do this,” he gestured towards our locked arms.

I rolled my eyes, “it’s comfortable and not awkward at all except for the questioning stares people are throwing our way, but I can’t complain.”

He hummed, “so, mind to tell me why you are avoiding your friend?”

I sighed, “I just felt like not facing him at all…”

“Oh, I see,” he said.

“Anyways,” I wanted our conversation to not change topics just because of what happened moments ago, “you invited your friends to our date?”

He smirked at my sudden change of topics but he still didn’t question it and went with it, and I thanked God he didn’t pressure me to answer the questions that I knew were already crossing through his mind, “no, I hope you don’t mind.”

I shook my head, “it’s okay, I guess that means this will be indeed a real date.”

He smiled at that, “yes.”

“I’m fine with that,” I simply nodded.

He hummed, “sorry, Jung, what I got to go,” he started, “I just wanted to greet you, but I have to go back to my dressing room, do you want me to walk you to your room?”

“I will like that,” I smiled.

I turned cautiously and to my fortune, Seunghyun wasn’t there. I didn’t know if he was in the first place or if Taecyeon was simply pulling a joke on me to see my reaction, but either way, I was still glad I didn’t have to face him yet.

We both skipped to my dressing room and I listened to the ideas he had about the date. I didn’t collaborate much to the conversation and I was rather silently nodding from time to time, but I was sure I was going to go with whatever he had planned.

I didn’t know what was it about Taecyeon that was so comfortable, our arms were still locked, but he kept on talking and the atmosphere around us wasn’t awkward at all. There was something about him so reassuring, it was like I could confess my darkest secrets to him with the certainty that I could trust him. And that something about him made me feel secure and at ease like I could almost forget completely about Seunghyun just hearing him talk about whatever he was talking about.

“So what do you think?” His question brought me back to reality and I reacted turning to face him, “huh?”

He smiled at my dumb expression.

“I-I…” I stuttered smiling up at him, “I think that’s great.” I seriously didn’t have any idea of what he was talking about, but I just went with it.

“I think so too,” he smirked.

I stare at him smirking at me and I slightly frown, “what?”

“I wasn’t going to mention it, but…” he paused, “it’s really obvious that you are distracted. I bet you don’t have any idea of what I was talking about, do you?”

I could only chuckle at that, he rendered me speechless for a moment as I froze at the idea that he could read me so well. What was that something about Taecyeon so enticing?

“I can read your mind you know?” He made that sound so serious, but I ended cracking up.

I started to laugh an

Please log in to read the full chapter