Backfire

Barefooted
Please log in to read the full chapter

Eunjung's P.O.V

I didn’t think twice before immediately pressing my finger into the screen sliding my thumb to answer the call in a blink. 

Before I could even mumble out a sound he cut into the line rapidly. 

“Where did you say your dorm was located?”

“Wait no!” I nearly yelled if it weren’t because I was aware the rest of the members were sleeping.

“Why? What?” He reacted.

“I mean no!”

“What?” Confusion was clear in his voice.

How do I approach him? How do I say to him it was a joke without having to deal with his annoy attitude? I accept that I might have taken it a bit too far, but he joked with me as well, so it counts for something, right?

“Eunjung?”

Right, I have to tell him then hang up immediately. That will work, that has to work.

“Jung…”

“Huh?” I reacted.

“Are you okay?” He sounded worried, and I know it shouldn’t, but that flustered me.

For a moment, he rendered me speechless. He works a magic on me, and is utterly frustrating to fall under his spell, but there he got me again. 

I let a pregnant pause sink in the air before organizing my thoughts into properly telling him that it was a joke. I’m starting to believe I do deserve that stupid nickname he calls me, as much as I hate it.

“Eunjung, you are worrying me. Answer me.”

“Huh, yeah!” I finally responded. “Seunghyun, I-I…”

“What? Are you seriously okay?”

“No, no…I mean yes!”

“Jung, I am about to go get my car. I won’t mind driving there, are you okay?”

I couldn’t help but smile at his sweetness. I prefer this Seunghyun, I like this Seunghyun. I know it is a bad moment to feel giddy and smile, but I couldn’t help it, I swear he is too cute.

“Jung!”

Why do I keep forgetting to answer him?

“Ah, ah, yeah! I’m right here.”

“So? Is the person knocking on the door gone? Want me to go and drive there? I'm willing to, you know I don't mind at all." 

"No, no." 

"Are you sure? Don't leave me hanging like this."

Here goes for nothing.

“Seunghyun, the truth is that there was -” I paused. 

How do I explain it to him without digging my grave at the same time? Should I just play it off smoothly? 

Yes, but how I do that in the first place? My excuses and lies never go smooth when talking to Seunghyun. 

"So, Jung?" He pressed on. 

I need it to say something now. "Okay, so Seunghyun, you see...the truth is that -"

Just when I was about to come clean I suddenly heard a loud knocking on the door, and for a moment my spirit let my body, my heart jumped out of my chest in an instant, and let out a loud pitch scream.

My eyes widened and I dropped the phone at the shock. I didn't know where it fell, but I couldn't care less at the moment. 

Someone was actually knocking on the door. What the hell? Was this perhaps product of my crazy imagination? This couldn't be happening, it was all a joke. 

I ignored the call wasn’t end yet. I rapidly grab my pillow and carefully led my steps out of my bedroom and into the darkness of the living room, only to be surprised by an even louder knocking on the door.

I was too scared to take a step forward and I felt my pillow tremble under the shaky grip of my hands. And out of a sudden, I felt a cold hand pull my shoulder back and let out yet another scream at that.

I dropped my pillow and I wanted to run back to my bedroom, but just then a voice cuts in. “Why are you screaming?”

I panted heavily as if I had run a mile, and then I felt Qri’s arms shaking mine.

“My God, Jung, react!” She whispered loudly.

I opened my mouth to speak but then I heard the persistent knocking again.

“There’s someone at the door, and I'm scared,” I whispered close to her ear.

She frowned but then we both heard the door knob rattle a few times before the knocking started again.

Qri stiffened and her breath hitched. I immediately turned to hug her and she hugge

Please log in to read the full chapter