Unexpected Invitation

Barefooted
Please log in to read the full chapter

Eunjung's P.O.V

Soyeon arrived later that night and by the time she was knocking on the door I was already, almost completely calmed.

She greeted me brightly as if I wasn’t tired enough. After she went to shower I dropped down on my bed and pulled the blanket over my head and then went to sleep, shutting out all my thoughts to have a nice rest.

 I was able to do so to my surprise and the next day I woke up in a more cheerful mood. Boram’s grumpy mood and Hyomin’s snarky comments during the morning breakfast was enough to somehow lift my spirit and it was in these moments that I was glad to have them all with me, even if that meant dealing with all their different and sometimes contradicting personalities.

We all cared for each other equally and that’s what mattered the most, I wouldn’t go on a day without smiling or laughing at least once, it was impossible to do so with Hyomin’s comments, Qri’s silent yet judging aura, Soyeon’s energy, Boram’s complaints and Jiyeon’s endless teasing, even if she wasn’t with us at the moment.

My thoughts were far, far away from Seunghyun at the moment, and I preferred it stay that way, I was feeling a lot better since it seems like I was always put on a bipolar attitude when it came to him. I needed some emotional stability sometimes, didn’t I?

After ignoring my phone all night, I turned it on and to my fortune there weren’t any messages from Seunghyun, not that I was expecting him to text me anyway.

I left it in front of my plate of food at the dining table and stood up to go to the kitchen to search for the salt.

Boram was complaining that she didn’t want to stand up, and Soyeon was too lazy to even complain back, so since they have made me feel better without knowing it I decided to stand up for the sake of everyone on the table.

Just as I was searching around inside the cabinets I heard a phone ringing back in the dining room. I was about to ask whose phone was it until I heard Hyomin’s overly excited tone of voice saying it was my phone.

My eyes widened a bit and I feared the worst.

I rapidly grabbed the salt that happened to be in the kitchen’s cupboard and skipped back immediately to the dining room.

Upon noting my sudden distress expression Hyomin laughed and Soyeon leaned to my seat checking the caller’s I.D on my phone.

Soyeon smiled up at me before parting her lips, “it’s Taecyeon.”

At the mention of the name they all turn to look at me and I coughed to cover the sudden relief that washed over my expression. I was glad that it wasn’t Seunghyun. Taecyeon had brightened up my morning unknowingly. 

“Aren’t you going to answer?” Boram smirked.

I chuckled at their accusing looks, and sat down placing the salt in front of Boram before sliding my finger through the screen.

“Hello?” I cut in the line uncertainly.

Hyomin darted up an eyebrow at me and I frowned, but then she mouthed me to put the call on speaker.

I rolled my eyes but Soyeon grabbed my phone abruptly and placed it in front of me pressing an icon to put the call on speaker for all us to hear.

The silent Qri gestured the rest to keep quiet for Taecyeon not to suspect that I wasn’t the only one hearing him, and with another roll of eyes I decided not to argue back, so I went on, “Taecyeon?”

“Hello, Jung.” His voice echoed through, and Soyeon had to put a hand on to contain herself from making any sound.

I smiled at her silliness and turned my attention to keep the conversation up with Taecyeon instead, “so how are you doing?”

I heard some rustling at the other side of the line as if he was shifting positions in a couch or a bed before his voice cut in again, “I'm good. What about you?”

I glanced up from my phone and I was met with Boram’s encouraging eyes and Hyomin teasing smirk while Qri smiled knowingly.

I couldn’t help but giggle and for a moment I forgot that he was in the line, “I’m okay.”

“Why are you laughing?”

He caught it.

I pressed my lips into a straight line not sure how to respond to that, “is just that I…” I lifted up my eyes and Hyomin pointed at the television, “yeah, right, I saw something funny on the television.” I shrugged my shoulders at my awkward tone.

“Oh, okay,” he chuckled, “I didn’t want to call because I wasn’t sure if you were up and I didn’t want to wake you, but is good to hear that.”

Boram lifted her eyebrows suggestively, and for the third time, I rolled my eyes.

“No, you didn’t wake me up at all,” I forced back a giggle at Qri’s interested gaze.

“Well, Jung, I was calling you because -”

Just then out of the blue the loud voice of Jiyeon echoed through the whole dining room, startling all of us in the process. 

When did she arrive? Wasn’t she staying the whole day at her apartment? Why now?

“Hey! You guys are having breakfast without me?” Her exaggerated annoyed tone was all too clear for Taecyeon to hear, and I mentally slapped myself in embarrassment. 

Qri seemed to reciprocate my reaction when she facepalmed herself, while Hyomin shot dirty glances at Jiyeon's direction. 

“Who’s that?” Taecyeon asked and when Jiyeon realized the situation she rapidly covered with both her hands, her eyes widening suddenly.

I chuckled nervously, “that’s just Jiyeon, w

Please log in to read the full chapter