Poet EH

Chicken Wings

I have many habits, good and bad also, but I´m happy for them. Like the food I always order at Ryeowook´s or the nap I always take during my break. They make me feel like my life has some stable structure, it´s like an assurance for me. I hate it when I have to break my habits and do something differently because then I´m too free. I don´t feel safe and it´s much better when I have my life under control. Perfectly.

“I think you should wake up, Hyuk,” someone told me. Wake up? No, that´s not my waking signal for afternoon nap. The bell on the church nearby starts ringing after twenty minutes of my sleep and Choco follows. The owl howls in the cage and I wake up just like every single day. But I can´t hear Choco, I frowned not feeling good about this weird stuff.

“Minho was looking for you and I might have taken a little too long break,” the voice I recognised as Donghae´s let me know.

When my mind finally registered the new information my eyes opened abruptly. In front of me was Donghae´s smiling face. I blinked at him a few times confused when I noticed the position we were in. Donghae was sitting on the ground with his back against Choco´s cage while I was lying on his legs with my pillow on his lap. I stood up horrified.

“What the hell are you doing here?!” I yelled at him and poor Choco got startled. “Why did you come to my office and how dare you touch me in my sleep?!”

“But you looked cold and uncomfortable lying on the ground, I didn´t want to do anything bad,” Donghae trailed off. But I still didn´t feel like calming down, especially not after I glanced at my wrist watch.

“Look, I overslept because of you! I should have been back to work fifteen minutes ago,” I was poking my watch in panic. “And you what?! Don´t you have a new job like only for four hours or so? You think it´s okay to slack off now that you are safe again? I´m not that lax to allow you do whatever you want, Donghae. Go away! You ed up your last chance,” I huffed in anger at the brunette still sitting on the ground hopelessly like a small kid. “You hear me?! Get lost!” I screamed alarming other employees.

“Hyung, is everything alright?” Minho came running. He stopped in the door frame and looked first at me and then at Donghae. Minho has always been kind of protective when it came to me and so I wasn´t even surprised when he walked to Donghae and made him stand up, gently of course.

“Donghae isn´t working here anymore, please show him way out for me, will you?” I asked Minho who nodded in agreement and slightly patted Donghae on his shoulder in order to wake the latter up from his shock. I had to turn away because I would surely change my mind if I saw those puppy eyes again. Donghae was just too hard to handle for me, he was throwing me out of my security and that I wouldn´t tolerate. I dread safety more than anything in this world and I can´t lose it no matter what. Especially not because of someone I barely know, although I admit that Donghae seems like a good person.

In the end Donghae ended up back behind the glass doors of the café. I tried to ignore the image of his sad face when he heard he had to leave. I know I overreacted and I blamed myself for this for more than just one day but I couldn´t help it. He silently entered my barrier and touched me. I´m very well aware that he didn´t mean any harm, that he really only wanted me to feel more comfortable but doing it without my consent and knowledge was the mistake. I hate surprises and I hate to feel vulnerable.

“Eunhyukkie?” Sungmin broke the string of my thoughts, thankfully.

“Is there any problem?” I glanced at Sungmin not even pretending to be busy with the paperwork. The short man has always been one of the dearest people for me and I would always make some time for him.

“I don´t know, you tell me,” Sungmin shrugged and sat opposite of me one a leather chair. I knew he would ask me eventually, I was spacing out a lot these days and I might have been making everyone down with my gloomy mood. I felt guilty for that too.

“I´m sorry,” I sighed, “it´s just that I keep thinking, that I might have been a bit cruel towards Lee Donghae.” I told him honestly. Sungmin frowned.

“There´s no reason for you to feel that way. He went overboard, Hyuk, and didn´t even apologise!” Sungmin had apparently clear opinion on this matter. “If you want to blame yourself for that, a whole week after the incident, you are an idiot,” he stuck his tongue at me and I chuckled.

“I get it, hyung,” I smiled, “I´ll try to forget about it. Sorry for making you worried.”

“That´s my Eunhyukkie!” Sungmin stood up and went to squish my cheeks. It was painful but I was already used to his affection. Prying his hands away I sent him home since his shift has already ended and decided to finally restart my paperwork.

Of course because I didn´t do my work during the day I had to stay overtime today. It wouldn´t be such a problem if I didn´t have to skip a meal. When I was able to finally lock the café, I was already as hungry as wolf. I groaned thinking about having to cook something for myself at home. Not in the best mood I slowly shuffled to the apartment complex. But to my surprise a man was standing there waiting for me.

“What are you doing here, Donghae?” I asked carefully not letting my guard down around this brunette.

“I came to give you a present,” he gestured to a box in his hands. I frowned a little confused.

“I felt like apologising wouldn´t be enough so I made some effort,” Donghae´s sorry face on full mode. I could only sigh.

“It´s okay, I´m not mad,” I told him and tried to walk past him and inside the house. But Donghae stepped to the side blocking my way again.

“Hear me out, please,” he begged and I gave up. Looking at him coldly I hoped he would get the message and make it short.

“I understand I scared you with my behaviour but I didn´t do it on purpose, trust me. I´m just stupid and clumsy like that,” Donghae chuckled nervously, “I would never want to hurt you or anything because I still believe you´re an angel and you would be one even without your wings,” I instinctively backed away slightly when he started talking about my wings. “I´m not going to ask for another chance but I would like you to know, that if you ever needed to talk or a help, I´ll always be there for you,” Donghae finished quickly seeing my hesitation. “Take this, good night, Eunhyukkie,” he said with a strangely endearing smile. I could only stare dumbly into the space where Donghae was standing not long ago. He really went away but the box found itself in my hands. At first I wanted to throw it away but being curious I decided otherwise.

I rushed up to the second floor and opdned the door fast so I could take a look at the present in the confinements of my small flat. Not even taking off my coat I put the box on the counter and pulled out a letter that was stuck to the box. Reading the letter I almost choked and it wasn´t because of the worst handwriting I´ve ever seen.

 

There’s no one like you, even if I look around it’s just like that, where else to look for?
A good person like you, a good person like you, with a good heart like you, a gift as great as you
How lucky that I’m the person who will try his hard to protect you, where else to look for?
A happy guy like me, a happy guy like me, the guy with the happiest smile like me

Lee Donghae

 

Has he actually written a poem for me? Like for real? I couldn´t believe my eyes. It was so overwhelming and frightening at the same time. It was so strong that I had to put the letter away and open the box instead. And good that I did it because I couldn´t have wished for anything better right now.

In the box was a thermo-bag and inside my favorite dish from Ryeowook´s restaurant. I chuckled because Donghae must have ran to my place. The food was a complete mess.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! The story seem to be a little bit more dramatic or angsty than I intended at first but I hope the fluff and occacional joke makes it readable. :D So Donghae s you might have guessed already is an author and now you know what kind of literature he writes. Donghae is a poet! The lyrics in the letter you might have recognised, it´s "No Other". Thank you for reading and take care! - PandaHero