Worker EH

Chicken Wings

The steam was coming from the machine like some kind of mythological dragon only he lacked that ancient grace. Sighing I wiped the hot cup and the coffee machine and put the cup on the counter for Sungmin to take it to the customer. The café was full at the moment and so I had to creep out of my little office and go to help. But I was feeling really awful today and the fact that it´s Monday only added to my chagrin.

“Oppa, something´s wrong with this,” I heard a call from Sulli and rushed to her side.

Three customers were already waiting for the tall girl to take their bills. Unfortunately the cashbox broke at this moment not even minding that it was a rush hour. I sent Sulli to my own spot and hoped she wouldn´t break the coffee machine too. Unlocking the cashbox so I could get to money I pulled out a block and a pen.

“I´m deeply sorry for the inconveniences, sir, but would you mind telling me your order? I will have to count it manually,” I gave out my best smile and luckily the old man didn´t seem too angered.

“A tea, ham sandwich and a cheesecake,” he answered and I quickly scribbled prices I knew by heart. Like this I ended up writing and counting columns of numbers for the rest of the day. It is my responsibility to make sure everything is perfect when it comes to finances and management so I didn´t let Sungmin nor Sulli, the latter didn´t even want to, replace me in this task.

“I´m sorry, oppa,” Sulli bowed for umpteenth time. We were already closing up but I would have to stay overtime to repair the broken machine.

“It´s okay, I´ll write it off of your salary,” I said seriously but inwardly I was laughing bad.

“What? B-But there won´t b-be anything left,” Sulli panicked, “the whole month.”

“Hey, I was just joking,” I decided to stop the teasing before the girl ends up crying, “I´ll work this out and you could make a bento for me or something in return,” I offered and Sulli happily nodded her head.

In twenty minutes the shop was abandoned with only me and my little friend staying behind. You must not know Choco yet. Low howl echoed from my office and I decided to bring the animal to the front so I wouldn´t feel so alone here.

“Hey, Choco,” I cooed and opened the huge cage that was taking half the space of my office. Instead of flying away, the little creature only spread its cute brown wings to safely lend on my wrist.

“You are such a pretty birdie, you know that?” I baby talked again and Choco blinked at me twice while turning its head half the circle. Yes, Choco is an owl. Strange to have an owl for a pet, right? But I have it for a long time already when I found the little bird on the street. I took it to a vet but they said that the fragile owl won´t be able to return to its natural life anymore. I asked if I could keep it, I somehow understood the feeling of being bound, and the vet was o happy to hear that he even gave me the cage. That´s how I ended up with Choco and thankfully Leeteuk hyung allowed me to keep it in the café since my housekeeper doesn´t allow any pets.

“Will you help me, huh?” I patted Choco´s head and brought her to the big room in front. She was happily flapping around while I went back to messing around with the cash register.

It was only around nine o´clock that I finished my fight with the machine. I locked Choco back into its cage and put on my coat. Sighing deeply again I slumped down on one of the chairs in the café, I didn´t feel like going home anymore. I would just catch twenty winks and go I told myself and closed my eyes.

But all of a sudden crazy banging on the glass locked doors of the café woke me up from my tired state. I jumped in surprise and hurried to find out what´s going on. Is it a burglar or a homeless person looking for a warm room overnight? I wouldn´t allow any, only Choco can sleep in the café. But to my shock the one making such ruckus was only a very familiar brunette.

“Donghae?” I exclaimed while opening the door for him.

“Are you alright, Eunhyuk?!” He asked me back instead and I could only blink. “I was passing by and glanced inside from habit and you were there looking like dead! I was scared you fainted or something!” Donghae wailed while holding my shoulders. His eyes were darting all over me and always returned back to stare into my own eyes. I was so confused by the situation that I almost failed to understand what in the hell was going on.

“Ugh, I´m fine,” I grumbled in the end embarrassed, “I was only a little tired and closed my eyes for a little bit. It wasn´t even a minute before you came, really,” I tried to assure the man in front of me. Why is he being like this anyway?

“Thanks God, don´t do this to me, Hyuk,” he released a relaxed sigh and gave me a smile. “How about I invite you for a dinner when I´m here?” Donghae winked. I was really tired and my back already hurt but I was also very hungry and at least I wouldn´t have to go back to my empty apartment right away. I didn´t feel like cooking either so I bluntly agreed which made Donghae shine like a Christmas tree. .

We decided to go to a small restaurant across the street because I didn´t want to go anywhere far. It was nice and cosy place with delicious food. The chef was my friend and I would sometimes send him a cup of coffee and a cake in exchange for a lunch. His waiter Henry as our delivery boy. Speaking of Henry, the boy was now standing in front of our table and waiting for the order.

“As always, please,” I smiled and the Canadian waiter chuckled. “I´ll have the same then!” Donghae said briskly surprising Henry who bowed politely and run away to the kitchen.

“You startled him,” I leaned with my back into the seat but feeling the pain I opted rather for leaning against the table with my forearms.

“He was staring at you,” Donghae pouted and I narrowed my eyes at him, “are you hurt somewhere? You look stiff,” he added quickly to change the subject probably. But the new topic wasn´t any better.

“My back does hurt a little, I was working overtime,” I was too tired and honesty doesn´t require much energy.

“Couldn´t you take off the bandage if you were there alone?” Donghae asked and I almost fell off of my chair. He saw my bandage? This little is really annoying but I have to keep calm today. I´m hungry and the latter is paying.

“No, one of my employees could come back and you saw me through the glass too anyway,” I answered him calmly. But Donghae was enthusiastic to dig as much information about me as he could thanks to my weaken state.

“They don´t know?” He asked incredulously.

“Of course not, only Leeteuk does, my boss.” I owe Leeteuk hyung a lot and I´m doing my best in his café to return at least a little part of the favour. I don´t think I would get this far without his help and kind heart.

“And your friends or some other people maybe?” Donghae still wasn´t able to wake up from his shock. I sighed ready to end this stupid topic.

“No, only Leeteuk´s wife who is my doctor and now you. I hope you understand to not talk about it with anyone or I´ll have to leave this city because of you, got it you little piece of ?” I became suddenly so pissed off by this topic that has always been irritating me to nowhere. But seeing Donghae´s devastated face I felt a little bit guilty for speaking to him this way.

“I´m sorry, okay? Let´s not talk about this anymore,” I smiled awkwardly and Donghae nodded in understanding. “If I knew you would be this nosy, I would have ordered something more expensive on your account,” I tried to joke to ease the atmosphere.

“Uh, about that,” Donghae scratched the back of his neck. I do know this gesture already and it brings nothing good, “I kinda don´t have any money.”

There´s no knife in the cutlery? I´ll have to kill him with my chopsticks then!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi! I´m updating quite fast these days but it can´t be helped, the school at the beginning is quite easy to deal with. Thank you for reading and your kind comments, it´s warming me up in the weather we have here nowadays. Have a nice day (or good night), people :) - PandaHero