Bird EH

Chicken Wings

“This doesn´t make sense, Donghae,” I whined but the bastard only chuckled.

I was standing on a rock, two meters above the surface with the short brunette as my only safe rope. I can´t believe I agreed with this stupid idea to try my wings. I don´t care whether they work or not, I can´t use them anyway. I don´t want to fly! I want to be normal without having to even think of the possibility.

“Hurry up, Hyuk,” Donghae called with his arms outstretched towards me, “open them.”

I groaned for one last time and slowly unwrapped my body that was securely enveloped by the warmth of my feathers. The coldness of the autumn wind immediately hit me and I whined again only to stifle another fit of giggles from Donghae. I spread my wings carefully and rubbed my upper arms with my hands, partially from the cold but more like from the nervousness. I wasn´t scared of falling down and injuring myself. It wasn´t that high and Donghae was down there to catch me. But I feared to fly. Only birds are supposed to fly and not humans. If I manage to fly, I will even more prove that I´m different. On the other hand, if I fall down like a stone, it will mean that I´m completely useless afterall. That the wings I was born with weren´t meant to upgrade me, only to burden me.

“I hate you!” I spat at the poor boy under my feet and closed my eyes. I waved my wings to simulate flying and jumped forward only to find my wings curling with fear. They folded on my back in a second, giving me no help during my fall. I was ing going to crash!

“!” Donghae yelped but hurried to save me. My eyes were still tightly closed but I felt two strong arms get a hold of my torso. For a short moment I stopped in the air before I crashed down together with the poet.

It wasn´t really high rock so nothing bad happened to us. Donghae caught me but with the impact fell down on his . I landed on his lap and quickly wrapped my arms around his neck. I was so terrified I almost started crying from the shock. It didn´t work! They folded! They didn´t protect me!

“I told you!” I screamed at poor Donghae. “Chickens don´t fly, Donghae! I can´t, I´m not an angel for the ´s sake!” I spat another string of profanities after that but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn´t detach myself. I was so scared.

“Shh, Hyuk,” Donghae whispered and his hands on my torso started caressing my skin through the cloth. “It´s okay, nothing happened,” he cooed, “you are alright.”

Think I´m a wimp but it took me about ten minutes to get a hold of myself again. When I did, I let go of Donghae and shifted to sit down opposite of him on the grass. I refused to wrap myself with my wings to keep myself from freezing. I still felt betrayed.

“They didn´t protect me,” I said in a small voice.

“It´s the other way I would say, Hyuk,” Donghae suddenly spoke up and I looked at him confused. I shook my head and the brunette continued explaining. “All this while you kept your wings hidden from any harm. You would fold them and tie them around your torso. Don´t you think that maybe you are protecting your wings instead of letting them protect you?” I´ve never thought about that.

“You are saying it was me who folded them just now so they wouldn´t break with the fall?” I asked.

“I believe so,” Donghae smiled at me. So I wasn´t betrayed? I folded them on purpose? I bit my lip and let the wings cover me. I dropped my head and curled into a ball completely covered by the feathers. Like this I feel much better.

“Do you want to try again?” Donghae asked and my warm cover bristled.

“No way!” I called not even looking at him. I´m not pulling this stunt again. I felt Donghae move next to me and suddenly his arms dove into my shell from above. He put his hands under my arms and brought me up on my legs. I spread my wings only to find myself in Donghae´s arms. “Let go!”

“Of course and you be a good boy and climb up one more time. And this time don´t close your eyes,” he commanded and patted my cheeks. He always knows how to make me do anything he wants. I want to erase that crooked smile off of his face. I huffed and like an idiot started climbing up the rock.

Standing so high I started shaking again. This won´t work. I´m even more scared than before. I opened my wings and they began flailing in the air as if playing with the wind. It felt nice but I still didn´t feel like jumping.

“Don´t worry, only look into my eyes and don´t think of anything. I´m sure your wings will open up and save you,” Donghae told me and his eyes looked so intense that even if I didn´t want to, I had no choice but to return the stare.

Not interrupting the eye contact I made a step forward. My hands were straightened in defence but opposite to that my wings really unfolded and opened widely. There isn´t much space in my house for them to open this wide as they are now. I felt them spread and support me in my jump. I didn´t flap them notrtried to control them. I wasn´t that skilled but from my childhood I knew it was possible to do various things. Today it was enough like this. Feeling the stability and safety, I didn´t need more so I simply glided down from the rock calling for Donghae. The brunette ran further from the rocky hill only to turn around and open his arms one more time a few meters away. I smoothly landed into his embrace my legs and arms wrapping around him. This time Donghae didn´t even fall. That´s how smooth the flight was. I couldn´t believe it.

“Better?” He asked me and I could feel him smile. I only hummed still coming down from the high, both literally and figuratively. I didn´t feel like folding my wings so I left them opened also for Donghae to take a proper look. I knew he was fascinated by them and today I could afford to let my guard down a little.

“So beautiful, Hyuk,” Donghae exclaimed. I blushed and thanked our position because he couldn´t see my red face. We stayed like this for a few minutes, both enjoying the moment and the splendid nature around us. It was really a breath of fresh air for me. I haven´t really been out much these days. Not like it was any better in the past. I should ask Leeteuk hyung to go with me sometime too.

“I´m cold, let´s go back, Donghae,” I said after a while and the poet put me down right away. I smiled and went to retrieve my clothes. Donghae helped me hide my wings but his face looked like he was killing a small puppy or something. It was ridiculous but a little sad too.

“Can we come here again before it starts snowing?” I asked him and Donghae vigorously agreed. I didn´t want him to look sad for something that wasn´t his problem and something I didn´t care for anymore. Covering the wings was a necessity and I’ve learnt to live with it. It didn´t bother me in the slightest and although it could be annoying at times I didn´t pay much attention to it.

“Hyuk?” Donghae´s voice sounded a bit strange on our way back.

“Yes? Is something wrong, Donghae?” I inquired a little confused.

“I might have forgotten something,” he turned to me with pleading eyes.

“Do we have to return all the way back to the rocks for it?” I cried. I was tired to nowhere already, I only wanted to go back and sleep in the train. Walking back up after having this exhausting flying lesson was impossible.

“No, we don´t,” awkward chuckle, ”it´s not something I could put down, you know,” Donghae spoke in riddles and I was becoming annoyed.

“Lee Donghae, what did you forget?” I threatened. I have a very bad feeling I know what happened.

“I forgot the way.” I knew it!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! Here´s another update! Hnestly I havn´t even thought of the possibility Hyuk could injure himself :D But good I didn´t, everyone would be so mad at me! I think ELF are the most hilarious fanclub ever. Choi Siwon the CEO of SW Ent.? Seriously? I almost died laughing. Anyway thank you for reading and your comments and have a nice day! - PandaHero