Race With Time

My Arctic Fox

(Jinyoung)

Something must have happened to make her cry like that. Of course, I’m involved.

“Could it be the hag?” I silently whispered to myself.

It was still cold during this time. Besides the beanie covering my fox ears, I’m wearing a face mask. I don’t want to risk having a cold because it’s different for my case.

“Aww” It was a whining child’s voice. “They closed early”

“Mister”

I turned around. Turns out they were two middle-school students, a boy and a girl. I didn’t speak but just looked at them.

“What are your store hours, sir?” the boy asked.

I slid down my mask and spoke. “10 am – 3 pm” It was already 3:05.

I noticed the girl flushed when I slid my mask down then back. “Ka-kamsahamnida” She stuttered while looking down to her twitchy feet. I nodded and they left. The girl reminds me of my first encounter with Hyo Jin. She too was charmed by my features- the human ones. I grinned behind my mask and finish closing the shop. Just then there was a familiar gush of wind.

“Your beanie, Jinyoung”

It was a good thing I wore another under.  Sunmi is here, what does she want?

“You’re welcome” She smiled brightly when I just took the beanie from her hands and looked away. There’s something different about her every time. I couldn’t point it out.

“So you’re free right now?” I nodded as I get my things. I swear I saw her grin sinisterly. “Can you accompany me for today? I’ll treat you a meal on the way” she offered.

I slid down my mask. “Mianhae. But I have other plans for today” I slid it back and bowed before turning away to the direction of the bus station. For a moment, I could see her turn dark. I’m close to finding out who she really is.

//=//=//=//=//=//

5:30 pm

“Hyung!” Sandeul and Baro greeted me. But they look more in panic instead of welcoming.

“What’s going on?” I said as I changed my shoes into a pair of slippers. They looked at each other. Why are they hesitant right now? “Where’s Chan Shik?”

“He went outside” Sandeul replied uneasily.

“Outside? I thought he was sick” I raised an eyebrow at them. Why would Gongchan go outside if he is supposed to be in bed? What are these two not saying? What’s happening?

Before I could say another word, the phone tape began to play.

“Oppa? Channie? It’s me Hyo Jin” My feet dragged me towards the playing tape.            

I’ll be coming home late tonight. I got something to do at a friend’s place.  Don’t send anyone for me, I’ll be fine on my own. Especially Jinyou-“ Not me?

“Hyo Jin- ah! The bus is here!”

“I’ll be there! Goodbye!”

There was a long beep.  The three of us exchanged glances. My back was facing them.

“What did Gongchan say?” I asked looking down.

“Hyo Jin is in danger. Wait for Shinwoo-hyung and go to the highest building.” Sandeul restated.

“Hyung, you don’t think she’s really in danger? Gongchan might be trying to make the two of you talk to each other” Baro said. “I’m not buying it”

“Yebeoseyo?” We all looked a Sandeul. “Gongchan, I don’t understand” He furrowed his eyebrows. I didn’t wait any longer and rushed outside after I changed back to my clothes before. I should have been presistent to tell her. Now... no

“ I think it’s time. A few days after would be the perfect timing” A dark feminine voice said. The shop was already closed and it was very late. The woman’s silhouette is the only thing I can see through the moon’s light. She was talking to someone on the phone. “You know what to do”

“What’s happening?” I’ve been unconscious for a while. Did I hit something? And what is this woman doing here? The owner of the shop is an old man not a youthful woman. I groaned and slowly lift myself up.

“Yes!” She hissed. “Of course it’s at my place. Now stop asking questions” She hanged up and growled.

“That Hyo Jin is blocking my way. By any means necessary, I woul-“ I fell with a loud thud. The woman’s piercing look was familiar. “You’re awake, Jinyoung” She grabbed something and hit me at the back of my head. “Sweet dreams…And that little friend of yours would make a delicious treat” She said before I lose consciousness again.

날 기다려…

A/N: Two updates! :3 Sorry if I'm inactive. It's just many things happen that I neeed to go hiatus. But I'm going to update as long as I can :) Thank you for your patience. Please do comment! It's been a long time: Please~