As Long As You Love Me - Part 2

Because It’s Not A Choice

“Okay, the kids are off to bed. We’re by ourselves, finally,” Myungsoo said. There were crackles in his voice and Sungjong repositioned his headphones, staring at the eager face of his husband on the screen of his laptop.

“Why are you so excited? Not like we can do anything, we’re miles away,” he reminded the elder, smiling as he watched him pout in annoyance.

“At least Saeyeol won’t be able to hog the screen now.”

Skyping family while he was away for work was not so unusual for him. Sometimes, he had photoshoots in other countries or Myungsoo wouldn’t be able to make it to a fashion week or a conference which would lead to him traveling alone. Jongsoo had school and Saeyeol wasn’t at the age yet where he could take him everywhere and leave him to his own devices. It was a necessary evil, for him to be away from his family for short periods. Thank goodness for technology. He didn’t know what he would do if he couldn’t see the kids for 5 days in a row. He would probably have to give up his job.

But thanks to skype, they are not too far away.

“Darling, I miss you,” Myungsoo said, looking at him with yearning eyes.

Sungjong understood the feeling. They had been together for many years now but the thought of being apart still haunted him. He would never admit it but every time he boarded the plane without Myungsoo, he would be reminded of the time he had left him to go to USA. It was an old, rusty memory but it came back to haunt him whenever he went overseas without his husband – he would feel dread tightening in his chest – what if he never made it back to his family?

Perhaps the fear of losing Myungsoo made him hold onto him tighter – he didn’t know how healthy it was, but at least it was working. They were happily married and even though they fought from time to time, whether it was about work or the kids, their bond was stronger than ever.

“I miss you too,” Sungjong said, watching Myungsoo’s finger flick the screen. How he wished he could touch him.

“When are you coming home?” His husband knew his schedule well but he still made a point to ask. Asking didn’t change the date or make it come any faster, he had pointed it out to him several times. But Myungsoo had his own way of coping with his absence and hearing it from Sungjong’s own mouth was one of them.

“Three more days, babe.”

“Three more days,” Myungsoo repeated to himself, stifling a yawn.

Glancing to his side, Sungjong chcked the time. It was very late in Seoul.

“Go to sleep, I’ll talk to you tomorrow,” he urged. Myungsoo had to work the next morning, there was no point keeping him up.

“No, I want to stare at you for longer.”

It was endearing but not practical. It was strange to be the reasonable one in the relationship but he felt that the two of them shared the role. Right now, it was his job to send his husband to sleep.

“Myungsoo, go and sleep,” he said a little more firmly. “It’ll make the night go faster, I promise.”

“But you won’t be here when I wake up.”

“Not tomorrow, but in two days…”

Myungsoo smiled, his eyes drooping with sleep.

“I love you honey.”

“I love you too.”

“You hang up.”

Sungjong knew this game and he wasn’t going to play today. So he disconnected the call and pulled off the headphone. He knew he would get an angry message about it from a very disgruntled Myungsoo tomorrow.

Stretching his tense body, he made himself comfortable under the blanket. He had had a long day. It was the silver jubilee convention of Asian Fashion Journal and the best models from all over Asia had been invited. He had spent the morning talking to sponsors of the magazine and socialising with other top models and editors. In the evening, he had been a part of the fashion show, going through ten costume changes. Nowadays, he found it a bit tiring.

He was about to turn on some healing music and relax when a knock sounded at his door. Grudgingly, he got up and pulling a dressing gown on, answered the door.

The man at the door was just as unwelcome as he was unexpected. He had seen him during the day and yesterday too, here and there, but hadn’t made eye contact on purpose. He wasn’t running away from Sunggyu, no, that would be cowardice. But at the same time he didn’t know how to be civil to him when the elder had all his trash talk reserved for him.

“I’m not going to do this,” he said, trying to close the door shut.

“I want to talk to you about Jongsoo,” Sunggyu said calmly, stopping him in his act.

Now Sunggyu had a right to Jongsoo, no matter how small or insignificant and Sungjong was weak in this aspect. It would be a lot better to appease the elder’s curiosity about his son than turning his curiosity into a weapon. Sunggyu was capable on anything. If he now suddenly wanted to take Jongsoo away…

Wordlessly, he showed the elder inside. Sunggyu strutted in with a victorious smile and sank into one of the armchairs. Sungjong crossed the room to join him.

“What do you want to know?”

“You look delectable.” He wore a dirty smile; the clever glint in his eye was razor sharp.

Sungjong tensed immediately. Had Sunggyu tricked him into letting him in?

“You said you wanted to-”

“Why would I want to talk about your son?”

Anger flared up inside him.

“Because he’s your son!”

The elder’s face suddenly went blank. It was a mask he wore to disguise any expression that wasn’t favourable. Sungjong had no idea what he was thinking. After staring at him for a long time, he said quietly, “So you know.”

That was when he realised that he had put Jiyeon in trouble by admitting to Sunggyu that he knew about Jongsoo’s real father. She wasn’t supposed to tell anyone about it. And she was the only one who knew.

“We-Myungsoo and I would never tell anyone,” he quickly backtracked, hoping he hadn’t done too much damage. Even though it had been seven years, he was afraid that Sunggyu might want revenge. “We’re Jongsoo’s fathers.”

Sunggyu’s lips curled. Resting his elbows on the armrests, he stared at Sungjong, making him feel uncomfortable.

“You can go now,” he said curtly.

“I have figured out why I find you so attractive.”

It didn’t seem like the elder was joking. He looked smug.

 “Great. Now leave.”

“You don’t want to know why?”

“It was your burning querry, not mine.” He got to his feet dismissively, hoping the other would do the same. This evening wasn’t turning out as healing as he had expected.

 “It’s because you’re like me.”

“I am nothing like you,” he replied viciously, glaring at the elder.

How dare he?

A little smile flitted across his face.

“I knew you would deny it. But you are. You are just as manipulative and goal-orientated. You never settle for less than what you want. That is exactly who I am.”

Holding back the curses that had rose to his mouth, he said bitingly, “I am not manipulative.”

Cocking his head to one side, Sunggyu laughed.

“Think back, Sungjong. You manipulated Howon into giving you a job, Minho into making you a model, Sungyeol to become your friend, Myungsoo to fall in love with you and marry you, Royals to hire you, and then Star to hire you. You did a good job of manipulating a lot of people just the right amount for your gain.”

If he could tear the crooked smile from his face, he would have.

“I didn’t manipulate anyone.”

“You can deny it, but it’s the truth.” Sunggyu’s smile grew wider. “I suppose I am a bit narcisstic. When I found out what you were, basically a copy of me, I felt attracted to you. You are like me, Sungjong. A lot like me.”

He had heard enough. He couldn’t believe the elder had the gall to insult him like this in his own room.

“Get out or I’ll call the reception.” His threat was real.

Lazily getting to his feet, Sunggyu said, “It will take some time to sink in. But once you realise it Sungjong, you’re welcome to join me. Together, we can do so much more.”

He smiled once again, his eyes colder than ever.

 

He was in the middle of a meeting when Howon called. Excusing himself, he took the call.

“So I can get off work early after all,” Howon told him. “I’ll be there.”

Sungjong was having a small family get together at their place. At first, Howon had said that he would be unable to come. He hadn’t actually met his brother in a long time since they had both been busy. Star was recently expanding and Howon’s job had become a lot busier than before.

“Great, I’ll see you there.”

“By the way, is Sunkyu’s new girlfriend going to be there?” Howon really didn’t approve of any of Sunkyu’s choices.

“No, but Sungyeol hyung will be so I was hoping to work on the two of them.”

There was a short burst of laughter from his brother. He didn’t hide his feelings about what he thought of his attempt to set up Sungyeol and Sunkyu – pathetic at best. But even he agreed Sungyeol was a good choice.

“How on earth is he still single?” Howon had asked him once.

He had no idea actually; anyone could see that Sungyeol was a catch but every time he had brought it up, and he had brought it up quite a lot with his best friend, the elder would only blush and change the topic.

“Maybe he’s still in love with you?” Myungsoo had suggested after he had ranted to his husband about how he just couldn’t get Sungyeol to take a liking to Sunkyu.

He had told him about his history with Sungyeol at university and then at Star. Myungsoo had accepted the fact that the list of his ex-boyfriends was in no way small, so there was no point getting jealous every time. That had made it so much easier to share past stories with him.

Truthfully, he could see that at times, Munsoo did get emotional about the past and maybe to some extent, he was still in love with Sungjong. Or maybe he was in love with the memory of the teenager Sungjong he had dated. As for Sungyeol, he showed no such temperaments. He was his best friends and a staunch supporter of his and Myungsoo’s relationship. There could be no possibility that he was still in love with him.

Perhaps he just hasn’t found the right person. 

“And by the way,” his brother added, “is it okay if I bring someone to the party? I want you to meet him.”

“Sure,” Sungjong replied, a little surprised.

Howon wasn’t the kind of person who had friends, especially not ones he would introduce to his brother. Anyway, with his plan for Sungyeol and Sunkyu, it was going to be an interesting party.

 

By 7.30 pm, their garden, which had been set up for the barbecue party, was full to the brim. Sungjong couldn’t have been prouder. Only family and close friends had been invited. Sungjong’s parents were there. They now lived in Seoul at the brand new apartment he had bought for them with his money only. His father had finally come to accept him for who he was, although his mother suspected that it had something to do with the large amount of pocket money he transferred to his account every month. Whatever the reason though, Sungjong was glad to have his family back together again – besides, he owed his father a lot.

The morose figure of Sunkyu was seen weaving in and out of the crowd, a little lost. He had recently gone through a bad break up; thus, the usual heart and soul of the party was dispirited. But knowing him, he would recover soon and be the loudest person at the party. Sungjong wasn’t too worried about his younger brother right now; only what would happen to him in the future. Turning his head, he tried to search for Sungyeol.

Until now, his attempt to set up Sungyeol and Sunkyu had been a failure. For some reason, Sungyeol was reluctant, but he wouldn’t say outright either that he didn’t like Sunkyu. As for the latter, he was confused and preferred not to deal with the mixed signals from the former. Sungjong still hadn’t given up though. Tonight, he would diligently try again.

The problem was Myungsoo was trying to set Sunkyu up with Munsoo so he couldn’t count on his husband’s help – the matter was in his hands entirely.

“Darling, Howon’s not here yet?” Myungsoo appeared by his side, holding a glass of orange squash.

“He should be, he confirmed he is coming,” Sungjong told him, eyeing Sungyeol, who was talking to Woohyun.

Woohyun didn’t exactly qualify as close friends – there was still considerable awkwardness between them, but somehow he had slipped through. It helped that he had been Myungsoo’s PA for 11 years now. And if Woohyun was invited, his wife Mijoo of course tagged along. Sungjong had a much easier time interacting with Mijoo though. But then again, all of Star’s editors were invited anyway since Myungsoo considered them one big family.

Eric, Star’s executive editor, was there, and so was Minho. Once again, Minho and Sungjong were not the best of friends; in fact, the elder always ignored him politely. But it probably helped that Minho was now with Taemin and had been that way for three years now. Sungyeol had told him that Taemin kept a vice-like grip on the executive editor so there was no way he would get the opportunity to flirt around. But then again, Minho was a completely new person from the smooth, suave, charming man he had known. He was a lot quieter and demure.

“Sweetheart, I’m hungry,” Myungsoo nudged his shoulder with his nose, no doubt trying to act cute.

“There are lots of appetisers to go around,” Sungjong reminded him.

“But I want meat,” the elder whined, wrapping an arm around his waist. It was cute but since he was not paying attention to his husband right now, the effort was being wasted.

“Soon, darling, soon.”

“Are you even talking to me?” Myungsoo waved his hand in front of him, causing him to blink.

“No.” He marched off purposefully towards Sungyeol, who was laughing at something Woohyun had said.

“Hi, there!” Sungyeol greeted him enthusiastically. “Did you remember your best friend only now?”

Woohyun acknowledged him with a nod, then excused himself to go and find Mijoo. Sungjong was grateful for that; he had wanted to talk to Sungyeol alone.

“Sunkyu’s standing all by himself, why don’t we go and chat with him?” He took a hold of Sungyeol’s arm firmly.

His friend sighed.

“Not again, Sungjongie. You can’t force these things,” he said exasperatedly.

“Fine.” Sungjong dropped his arm. “But can you please tell me why you don’t want to date my brother?”

“Your brother is not you, Sungjong.”

He blinked.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Sungyeol looked mortified. Coughing a little, he said quickly, “Look, you don’t have to set me up, alright? I’ll find someone myself.”

“That’s what you’ve been saying for the last 7 years,” Sungjong huffed, crossing his arms. At this rate, neither Sungyeol nor Sunkyu would have someone to settle down with.

What to do with my stupid brother and my stupid best friend?

“Honey,” a gentle voice whispered in his ear as he felt Myungsoo’s familiar warmth behind him. “Howon’s here and he wants to see you.”

“I’ll be back,” he warned Sungyeol before accompanying Myungsoo to greet his older brother.

He was standing with another man, tall and smartly dressed. He looked to be in his late 30s, but the garden wasn’t very well lit and it was already dark, so he couldn’t be too sure.

Howon gave him a half hug before pointing to his companion.

“He’s been dying to meet you.”

“Oh, thanks…” He got that a lot.

“You haven’t really changed,” the man said. His voice was a deep baritone, and Sungjong felt a punch to his gut. He tried to steady himself but a raw fear came hurtling down memory lane towards him.

“You’re looking for a partner for your company, and this man here had graciously offered to be that person,” Howon announced proudly but Sungjong was having trouble concentrating.

He couldn’t be sure that the man standing in front of him was the same as…no, that was too much of a coincidence.

“He is one of the top businessmen of our country, you’ll have heard of him. Choi Seunghyun.”

“Ah yes, a pleasure to meet you,” Myungsoo said, extending his hand towards the man.

Shaking it, Choi Seunghyun said, “So sorry I can’t return the compliment, especially since you have your hand around Sungjongie’s waist so possessively.”

Confused, Myungsoo looked at Sungjong, who was trembling.

No, no, no…why is he here?

Howon looked just as flabbergasted as he turned his head from Seunghyun, to Myungsoo, to his brother.

“I’m sorry but do you two no each other?” he asked frowning.

Seunghyun stepped into the light, a smirk evident on his face.

“Why of course. We know each other too well. Wouldn’t you say so, Sungjong?”

Sungjong wasn’t in the condition to speak. He had had quite a few abusive ex-boyfriends but he wasn’t afraid of any of them as much as he was afraid of Choi Seunghyun. Not because of his personality, but because once, he had had feelings for him, real actual feelings. The worst part was, Seunghyun knew that very well.

“Don’t tell me…” Myungsoo muttered under his breath and when Sungjong nodded stiffly, he groaned into his shoulder. “Not another one.”

“I’ll enjoy being your…partner, Sungjong,” Seunghyun said, flashing him a smile.

His eyes were fixed on his face, like a hunter watching a prey.

This time though, Sungjong was not going to be a prey.

“Can you two excuse us for a moment?” he said, looking at his brother.

Even if they were shocked, they didn’t say anything as Howon and Myungsoo walked away from them.

“Oh wow, you abandon your husband within two minutes’ of meeting me. I knew I should have hope,” Seunghyun’s lilting voice was like posion to his ears.

“Don’t get me wrong. I have no intention of betraying my husband,” Sungjong enunciated every word. “I just wanted to let you know that if you try anything with me, anything at all, I’m not going to cry in Myungsoo’s arms, I’m going to hurt you. Personally.”

He didn’t know where he had gotten the strength to speak those words but as he watched Seunghyun’s eyes widen with surprise, he knew one thing for sure – Myungsoo had never let him down and he was going to return the favour.

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

Myungsoo only listened, not replying. That was what he always did when his mother called. It had been seven years and she had still not given up. Every time she called, it was with some nugget of ‘fact’ she had unearthed about Sungjong, defiling his character. After their wedding, Myungsoo had been very straightforward about it with his family – if they wanted him back, they would have to accept Sungjong as well. His father would have given them a chance gladly but it was his mother who had held on to the strong hatred for Sungjong.

It wasn’t that he missed his parents, he did. They had raised him and whether he liked it or not, he had memories with them, meaningful, happy, sweet memories. However, how could he see them regularly and pretend that he didn’t have a problem with them treating Sungjong like he was invisible or despicable. Even today, his mother had been talking about a girl she had met at church and how she thought she would be a perfect wife for him as soon as he lets Sungjong go.

“Goodnight, mom,” he finally said, cutting her off unceremoniously. He had heard enough. The only reason he even picked up her calls was to listen to her voice for a few minutes and maybe try to convince her to give Sungjong a chance. He blocked out all the insults she threw at his husband.

Sighing, he pocketed his phone and crossed the corridor towards his bedroom. Sungjong was sprawled on the bed on his stomach, looking something up on his laptop. Noiselessly, he entered the room and sat down beside the younger, running his fingers through his silky hair.

“Hey,” Sungjong said, stopping his frantic typing to look up at him. “How’s she?”

He smiled. “As well as ever.”

“And your dad?”

“They are both doing fine, honey.”

Sungjong nodded, a little look of apology in his eyes.

“I’m sorry.”

Somehow, the younger thought that it was his fault. No matter how many times Myungsoo had explained to him that he had done nothing to feel guity about, he wouldn’t listen.

“Let’s see. My mother hates you, curses you, and tells me to divorce you. How is this your fault?”

Turning his back towards the laptop, he went back to typing.

“Obviously she thinks I’m not good enough for you. And that’s my fault.”

“Darling, for a smart person, you’re really stupid sometimes,” Myungsoo huffed.

“Smart? I thought you told Jongsoo I was dumb in school.”

Myungsoo’s mouth fell open. He had had a deal with his eldest son about this – Sungjong was not supposed to know.

Searching his face for any signs of anger or aggression, he said softly, “But dear, I never said any such thing-”

“And Jongsoo never lies.”

Defeated, he adopted a pleading tone. “Honey, I was just trying to encourage him-”

“It’s alright.” Sungjong turned around to face him fully. “I was really dumb I suppose.”

There was something wrong with the younger, he could sense it. At other times, he wouldn’t let it slide so easily or admit that that he wasn’t smart. He would take it as an insult and punish Myungsoo. But there was something off about the way he looked at him with unsure eyes.      

“What’s going on babe?” he asked, pulling his head into his lap. His hands laid on top of his stomach.

“Do you think I manipulate people?”

“Well you manipulate me into obeying your every wish-”

“Seriously, Myungsoo.” He sounded impatient.

“Of course not, darling. What kind of a question is that?”

“But I did make you break off and engagement and fall in love with me-”

“Sungjong,” he stopped his husband, the locket he was wearing on a chain. He hadn’t taken it off for the past seven years. “I have always been in love with you. You didn’t make me, it’s just how it is.”

The younger seemed to weigh his answer carefully, finally accepting it as his frown disappeared. Pushing himself up, he turned around to face Myungsoo, cupping his cheeks.

“You’re the best husband ever,” he said, his eyes brightening.

He loved seeing that look in Sungjong’s eyes. It reminded him of how much they had to go through to come to this point. But Sungjong was not only his first love, he was also his first romance. He was everything he would fight for, and die for.