The Vows

Because It’s Not A Choice

Sungjong straightened his tie again, even though there was nothing wrong with it.
To say he was nervous was an understatement of a gross nature. A painful lump sat at his throat and he felt sweat gathering on his palms. It was too difficult to keep his head straight so he had given up trying. His head was a mush, blurring his eyesight every now and then.

He had no idea why getting married to the person he loved was so nerve wracking. This was what he would have wanted for himself, if he had dared to hope. But it was too good to be true, and despite all the people who were against this, against them, they were tying the knot.

To tell the truth, he was sad about his dad not being here. After all, he had had good memories with him from when he had been younger and he just wished his family could support him and his happiness. But family was a touchy subject today; he knew none of Myungsoo’s parents were going to show up...or his brother.

I wish Munsoo was here for his brother.

Trying to clear his throat, he rummaged in his pocket for the notes. He had spent two days writing his vow. At first, he had completely forgotten about it, and only when Myungsoo informed him that he had finished writing his wedding vow had he realized he should have done the same. Once again, he was reminded of how little he knew about this wedding business – Myungsoo had probably never even mentioned it to him since it was such an obvious thing that he’d expected him to know it.

Once he had actually started composing his vow, he had appreciated how hard the task actually was. There was a lot he would like to promise to Myungsoo, but he wasn’t sure it was worth everyone’s time. Since there would be a lot of important guests in attendance, he didn’t want to take up too much time or make it boring. When he had asked for Sungyeol’s opinion, he had shook his head and said, “This is not about the guests, Sungjong, this is about you and Myung-I mean the boss. You have to think about what you want to say to him, the rest of us don’t matter.”

That had helped him to get started on the task. But in the end, the vow had ended up being too long and he was concerned about how to memorise it all. Sungyeol had pointed out that he could just take his cue cards with him but he didn’t want to read out from paper, as Myungsoo surely wouldn’t. However, he was never good in memorizing things and the time was too short for him to master all of it. In the end, he had reached a compromise – he would bring the cards in his pocket and if he really got stuck at any point, he would use them. It was strange though, as he felt like he was going to take the most difficult exam of his life.

Now, as he paced the longest room he had ever seen, he tried to rehearse the words he would be expected to speak later. He had shown only two people the contents of the cards – Sungyeol and his mother. Both had patted him on the back for such a touching prose, his mother squealing like a school girl and breaking down in tears and Sungyeol thumping him on the back appreciatively. Sungyeol had mentioned how he was a tiny bit jealous that he was not the receiver of such a vow. But he knew that no matter how moving it was, Myungsoo’s would be the real tear jerker. He loved him for it, but he also felt a bit inferior, which was a constant worry.

“The rest of my–oh no, as long as I live. As long as I live.” He prayed he wouldn’t embarrass himself in front of everyone. He wanted to show everyone, all the guests who doubted his intentions, how sincere he was about this.

There was a large mirror to one side of the room. He paused in front of it, checking his reflection in the mirror. He was wearing a designer tuxedo and he shuddered to think about how much Myungsoo had paid for it. His styling team had left only a minute ago, after fussing about him for three hours, touching and re-touching every single aspects of his being. The photographer and the lighting director had been in the room with him as well, advising him on how to pose, at which angle to smile, when to turn his head. He hadn’t listened to half of it – all the while he had been fidgeting nervously.

The wedding planner was visiting him every few minutes, giving him last-minute instructions. The one thing they hadn’t had time for was a rehearsal. Understandably, that was making Jihyo, their wedding planner, nervous.

In the beginning he had felt confident – how hard could it be – but the way Jihyo had looked at him had told him that it was anything but easy. Just half an hour ago, the reality had sunk in, and right now, he was positively terrified of the moment he would be asked to walk out of this long room of Ritz and expected to walk down the gorgeous, flower-laden aisle, constructed in the garden of the hotel for this special occasion.

“There is no one who has made me happier, no one who can come close to the place you have in my heart and-”

“It’s something I always wanted to hear from you.”

His eyes flew open. What was Myungsoo doing here when his mother had strictly forbidden him to see Sungjong this morning? It was a silly tradition, but the only one his mother had pushed for, so they had both accepted it. The wedding would commence in a matter of 30 minutes so there was no reason for Myungsoo to be impatient.

The next moment, his mind placed the voice. Although very similar to his brother’s, there was a slight calmness in his voice and also maybe a hint of blues.

“Munsoo!” He turned around, greeting his former best friend with a wide smile. “You came!”

Dressed in a smart, coal-black suit, Munsoo looked as handsome as ever. Smiling so that his dimples showed, he strode up to him, giving him a quick and slightly awkward hug. Pocketing the cards, Sungjong hugged him back sincerely. He was genuinely pleased to see him here. It was an important day in his life and he had wished Munsoo would be there.

“I figured you two will need a best man today and even though my brother didn’t ask me, how can I refuse?”

“Thank you, thank you so much! Myungsoo will be so happy.”

“And you?”

“I’m happy as well. How can I not be…oh how I wished you’d come. I really wanted you to come, Munsoo,” he hoped his friend could understand how sincere he was being. He had really hoped for it with all his heart. Munsoo had played such a big role in his life, and Myungsoo’s as well, that it didn’t feel right without him on their special day.

“But you never called.” Munsoo didn’t sound exactly bitter, or maybe he was making an effort to hide it behind his smile. He had wanted to speak to him to convince him to come but Sungyeol had explained how he could be doing more harm than good.

“Are you sure he’s over you?” he had asked, to which he had no honest answer. So in the end he had given up on the idea.

“I’m so sorry I-”

“It’s your wedding day, so don’t be sorry about anything, okay?” Munsoo gripped his chin tightly, turning his face from one side to another, as if examining him. “Ah yes, you look perfect. Of course you do. I always knew you’ll make a pretty bride.”

Sungjong chuckled as nostalgia hit him in the pit of his stomach. That was one of the first things Munsoo had ever said to him. He remembered sitting at the school cafeteria, poring over a wedding magazine when he was 14, when the handsome captain of the school football team had come up to him, and noticing his interest in the magazine, said, “You’ll make a pretty bride.” He had been so pleased that he had happily ignored the fact that he had called him a girl.

“Thanks for coming Munsoo, I mean it. Have you seen Myungsoo?”

He shook his head.

“I will, after I give you this.”

He produced a little box from his pocket. He opened it to reveal a silver ring, with a deep blue sapphire set in the middle. The ring was breathtakingly beautiful but his stomach dropped the moment he saw it. Munsoo wouldn’t put him in a difficult position, would he?

“Stop sulking, I’m just keeping up with tradition.” Smiling at him, he pulled his left hand towards him and before he could protest, slid the ring onto his middle finger. “It’s mine, I’ve had it for a while now. That’s your something borrowed, something blue, hmm?”

Their eyes met and he could feel the waves of their teenage years crashing through him, drowning him in memories and nostalgia and an abundance of what-ifs. For a moment, he thought it would have been better if Munsoo hadn’t shown up. But the next moment, he changed his mind because they would have to learn to live with this. Maybe soon, Munsoo would find someone he could love completely and honestly and Sungjong would be a distant memory only.

But right now, right now, Munsoo’s eyes were pleading and he could tell that he was having a hard time trying to forget him because every path he took, led him to Sungjong. Because in every corner of his mind, he bumped into Sungjong – how could you even begin to forget a person like that?

Despite everything though, he was here, standing in front of his once lover, congratulating him on his wedding.

It’s the kind of sacrifice I wonder if I could ever make…

Placing his hands gently on his cheeks, Sungjong leaned forward and kissed him on the forehead.

“Thanks,” he whispered, trusting Munsoo to extrapolate the meaning.

Whether he heard the sniff or he imagined it completely, he didn’t know. But Munsoo slipped away from his grip suddenly and turned his back on him, announcing that he was off to visit his brother.

“Congratulations, Sungjong, I hope you’ll be happy.”

The sound of the door shutting echoed around the room, making him feel small all of a sudden. He was glad that Myungsoo would have someone to stand beside him on his special day, but he couldn’t imagine what Munsoo might be going through.

The door opened again and he looked up to find Jihyo at the door, talking to someone behind her.

“Five minutes, Sungjongie, are you ready?” she asked him, fixing him with a penetrating glare. He was afraid that she would realize it if he lied.

“I’m nervous,” he admitted.

“Get rid of that, I have no use for that. Remember the smile, remember what the cameraman said. And for God’s sake, stop your hands from trembling!” she ordered rapidly. She was a no-nonsense woman and for his sake, he hoped he would remember to fulfill all her instructions.

I can do this, I can do this, he told himself repeatedly.

His mother flitted into the room, all smiles. She looked several years younger, thanks to the make-up and the radiant smile on her face.

“Soon, baby, soon,” she whispered excitedly to him. If he could have replied to her, he would. But a clot had formed in his throat and for one terrifying moment, he thought that he had forgotten how to speak.

“Myungsoo,” he managed to croak, sounding nothing like himself.

“He’s all set dear, and he looks dashing. This is the best wedding ever.”

He couldn’t help but return her smile but in truth, he wanted to cry. It was like middle school final exam again; he wanted to throw his arms up in the air and declare that he was not prepared. Unfortunately, he felt that Jihyo would not hesitate to spank him if he pulled such a prank. Gritting his teeth, he squeezed his mother’s hand tightly as Jihyo said, “Standby.”

For a second, the thought of Jiyeon crossed his mind. He felt guilt, but then he remembered what Myungsoo had told him.

Okay Myungsoo, time to make you mine.

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

 

Myungsoo couldn’t remember a day when he had felt happier. It was sort of like being in heaven, where you get whatever you want, where everything exists to make you happy. Today, with his brother beside him as his best man and knowing Sungjong would join him soon, as his life partner, made him feel all sorts of fairy tale emotions.

He hadn’t been expecting Munsoo and he had decided it was for the best, but that didn’t stop him from embracing his brother tightly when he suddenly showed up at the door. Truth be told, he had missed him and if he had not arrived, he wouldn’t have felt that the wedding was complete. He had no hope for his parents, but at least his brother was here for him.

At the last minute, he had checked and double-checked everything to ensure it was all perfect. This was the start of his new life and he wanted everything to sail smoothly.

For good measures, the security at the front door had been warned not to let Jiyeon in. Myungsoo was worried that she might try to pull another of her antics at the wedding – he couldn’t let that happen. After all, if Sunggyu’s words were true, she had been behind the kidnapping of Sungjong. He was shocked – he had known Jiyeon for what she was but she hadn’t expected her to be this desperate.

At Jihyo’s signal, he started walking towards the wooden altar created at the head of the garden. She was very particular about the number of steps that should take him from here to the altar. Apparently, she would make Sungjong match his steps so that they arrived at the altar at the same time. He had also been instructed to tilt his head to look at Sungjong and smile just as the piano hit a specific note. He didn’t let Jihyo know he had no idea how to tell apart the note from the others – he’d just wing it.

He hadn’t seen Sungjong in the past 12 hours – Sungjong’s mom’s strict orders. In fact, the last time he had had a proper conversation with him was Monday, at the wedding photoshoot. After that, he had been extremely busy with last minute preparations of Taiwan Fashion Week. He had apologized to the younger of course but he himself had seemed absent-minded, like he was in a daze as the wedding drew nearer.

“Alright, go!” Jihyo whispered in his ear, and then disappeared from his side. Taking a deep breath, he started to walk, giving his brother a smile. He had not expected to be nervous but as he started walking, his head begun to swim and the faces of all the people were reduced to blurs. In fact, he couldn’t see anything properly, only blobs of colour here and there.

And then, suddenly, his eyes met Sungjong’s, and he could see him clearly, among all the blurry bundles, as bright as day, as dazzling as the sun. Sungjong smiled at him, he must have, because he was blinded by the sight, so much so, that he tripped on his feet and hurtled towards the ground before a strong pair of hands caught him.

He sent Munsoo a grateful smile.

Unhindered by this embarrassing event, he trudged forward a few more steps and he was surprised to find he had reached the altar already. The priest was standing in front of them, his glasses at the end of his nose. Jihyo’s faint instructions resurfaced but he couldn’t recall them perfectly so he just did what he wanted to – he took Sungjong’s hand into his, grinning at him.

Sungjong’s hand was unusually warm and moist and his fingers were trembling. He pressed it gently, trying to tell him silently not to be nervous. The priest started speaking but his words seemed to reach his ears from far away. He couldn’t stop staring at Sungjong, whose eyes were roving between the priest, him, and the ground, his cheeks dusted with a rosy hue.

Can I just kiss him?

“And who is going to read the vows first?”

Oh, vows, right.

He looked at Sungjong, and his lips parted.

“I – I want to go first,” he said so softly that only the priest could hear him. Clearing his throat, he turned to face Myungsoo, raising his head to look into his eyes. Myungsoo felt a chill running down his spine as their eyes met. He could hear his heart hammering away in his ribs as he gazed into the eyes he loved so much.

“There are a lot of things I want to thank you for, but most importantly, I want to thank you for loving me.”

Myungsoo wanted to stop him and take him in his arms. He couldn’t explain how hearing these words from Sungjong made him feel. It was the strangest kind of emotion that racked up his body in the sweetest possible way and moved him to tears. How could he, the strong, cold-hearted man be so weak in front of his words? Such was the power Sungjong had over him and he didn’t even regret it. As he listened to his sweet  voice heavy with loving words, he closed his eyes.

“I won’t lie, you’re not my first love. But I promise you’re the last person I will ever love. I’ll be yours for the rest of my life,” Sungjong finished, dabbing his eyes with the handkerchief Munsoo had passed him.

To his surprise, all the guests started clapping. The priest now looked at him. He had prepared what to say but he didn’t know if he could remember it all at this emotional state.

Taking a breath, he tried.

“Nine years ago, I fell in love for the first time. I didn’t know his name, or how he was as a person, or what he felt for me, but I fell in love deeply, undeniably, and desperately. I was pathetic but I knew I’d never give my heart to anyone else. Ever. Today,” he paused, taking time to study the way Sungjong’s eyes changed. “In front of everyone, I want to give you, Sungjong, something that’s already yours, that has been yours for the last 9 years.”

He was suddenly hyperaware of Sungjong, his hands in his, his eyes on his, the tear droplets on his cheeks. Sungjong was the only world that existed for him.

“I’ve been looking for you in everyone I meet. Everywhere. I guess when you want something to that extent…”

He didn’t know when he had finishes. He had a feeling he had rambled on for a long time and maybe even exceeded his allotted time to speak. The guests broke into applause once again and the priest waited for them to calm down before speaking again.

“The rings please.”

Munsoo handed him the ring, which he slid onto Sungjong’s finger. After Sungjong had done the same, cheers erupted in the crowd. He was surprised by how well the guests were taking this whole thing. He had always thought there would be some guests who would come here to scorn them. But now was not the time to wonder about these things.

“I pronounce you two…”

Myungsoo almost didn’t hear the last sentence as he lunged forward and taking him by the chin, pressed his mouth firmly over his. It was their first kiss as a wedded couple and it was perfect – it had the intimacy of not being a first kiss but the shyness of a newly-wed couple

He deepened the kiss, knowing full well everyone was watching. His tongue darted forward, drawing lines against Sungjong’s full lips. They hadn’t kissed like this in a while and as much as he would have liked to continue, Sungjong drew back, looking redder than ever.

“I love you,” he managed to whisper, before people started to crowd around them, delivering their congratulations.

Despite the change in the invitation, a lot of people have turned up and even though he noticed some of them sneer at the couple, most of them were perfectly civil; some even seemed happy for them.

Yonghwa was one of the first to approach them and when Sungjong couldn’t recognise him, his face fell considerably. Taking him to one side, Yonghwa said, “So you knew Sungjong before me?”

Myungsoo only shrugged and smiled at his friend, who had only looked disappointed.

“Ah, there you are. Happy?” Sunggyu asked him when they met.

“Yes,” he nodded at his friend. He knew there were no words which could actually express what he was feeling but happy came close.

“Great, don’t forget to introduce Sungjong to Mr. Ki, he’s one of our biggest sponsors and have a chat with Mr. Yu too because-”

“Sunggyu,” he cut across his friend. “Can we not do business for just one day?”

The man rolled his eyes.

“This can be a great opportunity, Myungsoo, use it.”

Before he could reply, the CEO came over, patting him on the back. It didn’t look like there was any love lost between them but it was evident from the way he glanced at Sungjong that he approved of him for the completely wrong reasons.

He was shaking hands with a few other chief editors of different magazines when he saw Kim Kibum, sipping his champagne quietly, his eyes fixed on Sungjong.

“I didn’t expect to see the chief editor of Royals here,” he said nonchalantly, approaching him and effectively blocking his view of Sungjong.

“You invited me.”

“Of course, I’m glad you’re here. How’s your preparation for Taiwan, all set?”

Kibum’s eyes sparkled.

“I hear you were too…distracted to prepare for Taiwan.”

Myungsoo knew not to play into his hands. The only reason for Kibum turning up at his wedding was to spy on the Star Magazine employees. He wanted to find out, if he could, what their plans for Taiwan were. He made a mental note to tell Sunggyu to keep him on watch.

“I was busy, Kibum-ssi, but I have a wonderful team who can function without me,” he replied coolly.

“And one of your team seems to be missing. I don’t see Minho-ssi around…”

This man, he cursed inwardly. Nothing escaped his observation. Kibum was a formidable opponent but he wouldn’t be taken in by his cheap tricks. Luckily, another of his business associates approached him at that moment, relieving him of answering the question.

“Distinguished guests, friends and family, we will now move to the ballroom.” Jihyo’s voice echoed, and everyone started to move towards the door, guided by uniformed helpers. He looked around for Sungjong – shouldn’t they go in together? But the younger had been snatched from his side half an hour ago and he couldn’t see him anywhere.

As he made his way towards the door by himself, he heard two girls talk behind him.

“He looks like a model!”

“Yeah, and did you see his waist? It’s smaller than mine.”

There was no doubt that they were talking about Sungjong. It wasn’t necessarily insulting but for some reason, he felt uncomfortable hearing other people talk about him. Once inside the gigantic ballroom, he searched frantically for the man he had just married. His eyes settled on a familiar pair of legs and he quickly marched up to him, taking him by the waist possessively. When Sungjong saw who it was, he smiled with relief. He was being hounded by a crowd of people he probably didn’t know.

“Take me away from here,” he whispered in his ear, pretending to kiss him.

“As you wish,” Myungsoo chuckled. Loudly, he said, “Excuse me, I will borrow him for a moment please.”

“I don’t know these people and I don’t know what to say to them, help me Myungsoo,” Sungjong whined as soon as they were away from the crowd.

“Don’t leave my side,” he advised, his hand still resting on his waist. “I’m sorry, you have to bear this for a while.”

“I don’t mind if you’re by my side,” Sungjong said, resting his head on his chest. He wasn’t sure if it was the lights or the make-up, but he looked even more beautiful than usual. He probably wouldn’t be surprised if he just sprouted wings and claimed to be an angel. He looked ethereal.

Not being able to resist himself, he kissed him again, this time successfully invading his mouth with his tongue. It was two minutes of bliss until he heard a voice very close to them.

“Are you two going to gross everyone out with your making out?”

“Sunkyu!” Sungjong chided, but he looked ashamed of himself.

“There are guests here you know,” his brother said in a bored voice, then walked away.

Myungsoo was about to kiss him again, but they were interrupted by Jihyo, looking livid.

“You two are supposed to dance. What are you doing here?” she growled at them, the shooed them towards the dance floor. He didn’t really remember any of Jihyo’s instructions anymore but of course, the newly-wed couple always started the dance.

“Can I have this dance?” Myungsoo asked, extending an arm towards him.

Smiling, Sungjong took his hand.

While leading him to the dance floor, Myungsoo’s head spun once as he adjusted to his new life, with Sungjong.