Enemies And Friends

Because It’s Not A Choice

He wasn’t sure what woke him up, but it seemed like someone was dragging him out of a comfortable spot, where he fit in perfectly. They weren’t doing it by physical strength, but through their voice. His voice. Myungsoo’s voice.

Was he apologizing to him? It sounded like he was. But why would he be apologizing to him? Had something bad happened? Was this the end for them? They wouldn’t be able to get married after all. Even in the deep slumber that encapsulated him, he felt tears well up inside him.

But you said we’ll get married, you said we’ll be forever.

He couldn’t hear Myungsoo’s voice anymore. Was he gone, forever?

Suddenly, Sungjong was aware of his breathing. The moment it happened, a searing pain crashed through his body. He wanted to scream but his mouth was so dry that he could barely breathe. Why was he in so much physical pain?

Slowly, very slowly, the haze of pain lifted. Sensation was returning to all parts of his body, making him aware of himself. He was lying on a bed, or what he supposed was a bed, with his eyes closed.

Am I still sleeping?

He tried to recall the last thing he had done. It took him some time, but it came back to him, vaguely. He remembered Sungyeol, Secret Café, and then…

He remembered blood. Sungyeol’s blood. And maybe his blood too. Those masked people in the alley…fear gripped his bones. Was he still being overpowered by the masked men? Was he being held captive somewhere? And what about his friend?

Not friend, no, his savior. Even as he pictured him, his mind protested. Because it hadn’t made sense. Of all the people, the cruel, narrow-eyed man had saved him from those masked villains. Why would he do such a thing? He had always maintained that he would be happier if Sungjong was out of his way. The masked miscreants were doing him a favor. Then why…?

His thoughts were cut short when the sound of a muffled voice reached his ears. It came from somewhere close to him. It was not Myungsoo’s voice, but it was familiar. Straining his ears, he tried to make out the words.

“…think you were doing? If Myungsoo finds out you’re behind this…”

Sunggyu’s anger was palpable. Sungjong’s insides shriveled immediately. What was the man doing so close to him? There was no reply to his heated words, so he assumed that he was talking on his phone.

“No, this isn’t the only way to take him out of your way. You’re an idiot!” His voice rose at the last words, causing Sungjong’s hands to curl into fists. It wasn’t the cold calculated anger he had heard before from the elder; it was anger bursting at its seams.

Sungjong peeked from beneath his eyelashes, praying that the other man wouldn’t notice that he was awake. From what he could make out, he had to be in a hospital room. The walls were too white, and he could see a long, metallic stand at the end of the bed, with tubes hanging from it threateningly. Sunggyu’s back was turned to him but he could see the man’s long fingers resting on the end of his bed. He held his cell phone to his ear.

“And how exactly did you instruct your lackeys? They almost killed my PA! And Sungjong – he was badly hurt!”

Hearing his name in Sunggyu’s voice caused new goosebumps to creep up his arms. He only had a vague idea on what he was talking about but that didn’t mean he comprehended it. He didn’t feel safe to be alone in the same room as him. That was when he recalled hearing Myungsoo’s voice. Where was the elder? Had he been dreaming about his voice? Was he here by himself, left at the mercy of the executive editor?

A spine-chilling chuckle was uttered by Sunggyu in response to whatever had been spoken on the phone.

“Of course I don’t care about him. But you can’t simply kill someone just because he’s in your way.”

Kill someone? Sungjong gulped, trying to calm down his heartbeat. At this rate, Sunggyu would be able to hear the constant thrumming of his heart.

“…not a soft spot, okay, I just find him…delectable.”

His voice had suddenly switched to a low, suggestive sound that Sungjong had heard only once before. It wasn’t a pleasant memory. But before he could dwell on it, Sunggyu laughed out loudly, forgetting to muffle his voice.

“No, not an insult to you. But get some sense into that pretty head of yours. This is no way to get what you want.”

It was evident from his tone that he wanted to hang-up, but whoever was on the line seemed reluctant and Sunggyu clicked his tongue impatiently. After listening quietly for some time, he said in his characteristic condescending voice, “I’m done babysitting you. If you don’t want to spend the rest of your days in jail, I suggest you take a vacation and clear your head.”

There was silence for a moment before he heard footsteps closing in towards him. Shutting his eyes tightly, he started to pray. Every second, he expected Sunggyu’s long fingers closing in around his throat. But then the footsteps stopped and Sunggyu’s voice emerged from right beside him. He dared not take a peek but he could picture the man, standing beside his bed, looking down on him with a sneer on his face.

“I read people for a living but you…are these feelings I have for you clouding my vision, so that I can’t read you?” His voice was clear but low. Sungjong was holding his breath. If this continued, he might faint from the lack of oxygen. But he dared not breathe, knowing Sunggyu was so close.

“What are you, Lee Sungjong?”

At that, Sungjong’s heart was about to fall out of his mouth. He didn’t know what he would have done then but the welcome sound of the door sliding open put an end to Sunggyu’s monologue. He heard a familiar voice, relief flooding through his system.

“I talked to the police officer. I think they want to talk to you, to get a description of those bastards who tried to kidnap Sungjong.”

“Ah yes, I will go and give them a statement then. By the way, do you know where my PA is?”

Sungjong was suddenly reminded of Sungyeol. The two had had a meal together at Secret Café, where his friend had confided in him his worries about Sunggyu. From what he had said, it was evident that he suspected his boss of planning to ruin Star Magazine. But he hadn’t been able to quite agree with that – Sunggyu was a cruel, ambitious man but he was also Myungsoo’s friend. Everything he had done so far, it was so that no harm came to the company – there was no way he could be hoping to demolish the company he himself had helped to build. Besides, Myungsoo himself was no fool – wouldn’t he have noticed if his executive editor was trying to do something beyond his line of work?

However, the masked men had gotten Sungyeol – even though their target had been Sungjong, they had struck Sungyeol on the head, causing blood to spurt out, when he had tried to prevent them from pulling Sungjong into their minivan.

Is he alright?

Guilt welled up inside of him – Sungyeol was innocent but he had to suffer because of him. He was proving to be a danger to his friends as well.

“Sungjong?”

The soft touch on his head caused him to open his eyes and gaze up into the eyes of his lover. Myungsoo looked relieved and bent down immediately to plant a kiss on his lips.

“Thank God, I was so afraid. I’m so sorry Sungjong, I let this happen to you…”

“Myungsoo, I love you,” Sungjong said, taking his hand. The restlessness subsided inside of him – he knew that everything would be fine if the elder was there.

“Whoever did this, I swear I’ll take revenge.” Myungsoo’s hand tightened around his and he could see the man stiffen. For a second, a shadow passed through his eye, reminiscent of the time when he had been the cold chief editor of Star Magazine. He had worn a similar expression after being hit by Minho.

“Just stay by me, that’s all,” Sungjong requested, bringing his hand to his face. Myungsoo’s expression softened immediately and he cupped his face lovingly.

“Of course, anything you want, darling.”

He felt content. Myungsoo had that effect on him. He was about to drift into sleep when he realized he hadn’t heard about Sungyeol. Anxiously, he asked Myungsoo how Sungyeol was.

“He’s fine now. He got a concussion, but he’ll be okay.” Then, stooping down to whisper in his ear, Myungsoo said, “Don’t worry, we will be okay.”

At that, Sungjong finally found peace and fell asleep.

 

When he opened his eyes again, he was alone in the stark white hospital room. Myungsoo had probably gone home. He must have been worried when Sungjong had gone missing.

When Jiyeon had threatened to deal with him, he had never expected her to act on her words. For surely, it was Jiyeon who was behind his attempted kidnapping – Sunggyu had to be talking to her on the phone.

How does he know it was her though?

He was still in the dark about why the executive editor had saved him from those men. If he and Jiyeon had been acting in concert, surely, it would have been better for him to let the men carry out their task. They would have probably killed him and dumped him in Han River – he would have never been found. Myungsoo would have married Jiyeon and everyone would have been happy.

But he saved me from them, he wondered in amazement.

Sighing, he turned to his side. He was sore on the back from lying down so much. How long had he slept? He had no idea and he couldn’t see a clock anywhere.

There was a sound as the door to his room slid open. Expecting to see Myungsoo, he raised his head to greet his fiancé with a smile. To his dismay, it was Sunggyu instead.

Sungjong was sure Sunggyu had been hurt during the brawl that had taken place between him and his kidnappers, but there was no sign of that in the man’s countenance. He wore a crisp suit, as always, with a blood red tie. Nothing in the way he moved said that he was in any discomfort but that was impossible. The fight had been intense, Sungjong knew, he had been in the middle of it.

“Ah you’re awake I see.”

In his surprise, Sungjong had forgotten to pretend to be asleep. The man caught him staring at him in shock.

“I…” he tried to speak but only a hoarse groan emerged from his throat. All of a sudden, he realized how thirsty he actually was. His throat was so parched, that it hurt.

Sunggyu approached him slowly, not taking his eyes off him for a moment. When he was beside the bed, he reached for the glass of water on the small table beside the bed. Slowly, he helped Sungjong to drink the water. He drank it down in a gulp, feeling a rush of relief. The next moment, he started. What if he just drank poison served by Sunggyu?

“Don’t worry, I haven’t touched the water,” Sunggyu drawled, as if reading his mind.

“Myun-myung-”

“Myungsoo’s gone home half an hour ago. He had been here all night so I told him to go home. He left you in my care.” A mischieveous smile crept up his lips, causing Sungjong’s blood to curdle.

Just how much does Myungsoo trust Sunggyu?

Sunggyu rested each of hands on either side of the bed, successfully locking Sungjong between them. A shadow of despair descended upon him.

Desperate, he shouted out as loud as he could, “You-you sent them to kill me!” His voice cracked as fear wove down his blood.

Sunggyu laughed derisively.

“Trsut me, if I wanted to kill you, you’d have been dead. It would have been a lot neater and there would have been no witnesses.”

Sungjong swallowed – he believed every word of it. Myungsoo sometimes referred to the executive editor as a ‘genius’ and he had no doubt about that. He had the capability to kill him quickly and silently. His kidnapping had been clumsy.

“Was-was it Minho hyung?” he asked. The other executive editor’s name had crossed his mind as well. The last time he had seen him, there had been a crazy gleam in his eyes that told him that he could do something drastic.

I actually won’t be surprised.

“No, he’s too busy wallowing up in self-pity,” Sunggyu sneered, moving his face closer to Sungjong’s. His eyes were bright, as if he was drinking in Sungjong’s face. He could see his Adam’s apple bob up and down distinctly. Shuddering, he turned his face away from him. “You know who it was, don’t you? The person you pushed to a corner. Cornered animals are the most dangerous.”

Sunggyu’s statement was so fear-inducing that goosebumps erupted all over his arms and his heart quaked.

If Jiyeon had tried and failed to have her way with him, she would try again. What could he do? He had stopped going to his job but she had still found a way to kidnap him. How would he protect himself from her?

“Look at me,” Sunggyu suddenly ordered, his voice rough.

Slowly, Sungjong turned his head to face him again. If it was anywhere else, he wouldn’t have been so obedient but he didn’t trust Sunggyu when he was alone with him, even though he had given him his word to not touch him.

“R-remember our deal,” he reminded, afraid that the man might not care for it anymore.

“Oh I remember it very well,” Sunggyu his lips. “I’m not touching you, am I?”

The answer was no but yet, he couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable. Sunggyu’s face was too close to his – he seemed to be out all the air out of his system.

“Is she-is she going to kill me?” he asked, feeling weak. He didn’t expect Sunggyu to feel any sympathy for him, but then again, he had heard him telling Jiyeon to not kill him. And he had saved him – could he hope?

Groaning, he turned away from Sungjong, removing his hands from the bed. He could breathe again, but the look on the elder’s face told him that he was not going to speak anymore. But he needed to know, he had to be absolutely sure that he was safe now.

“Look at me,” he repeated Sunggyu’s words in a shaky voice. He hadn’t expected the elder to obey him but he did, swiveling around to lock eyes with him. There was a shift in his gaze – he seemed to devour him with his eyes. Gradually, he sunk forward, resuming his post hovering over Sungjong once again.

“Is she-is she going to kill me?” he reiterated.

“She won’t,” he announced confidently. “I won’t let her. Not until I figure out what it is about you that gives me the kicks.”

The reassurance surprised him but couldn’t completely relieve him. What did this figuring out of his involved? Besides, could he really trust his protection, the very man who had tried to assault him?

“How did you find me?” he asked, his eyes searching the narrow ones of Sunggyu. Would he dare to thank him for saving his life? Should he? Nothing had changed between them, not really. It seemed that he was more like an experiment to Sunggyu than anything.

Sunggyu’s gaze turned penetrating from lusting. For a moment, he was afraid that elder would draw back again before giving him the answer. Instead, his lips curled into a smile.

“I knew Jiyeon might try to do something stupid. I had you on watch.”

Fresh fear brewed within him. He had been followed by Sunggyu’s people? His throat constricted with silent distress – did they know what Sungyeol had accused him of? If he got to know about it, Sungyeol would be in danger.

“Sungyeol hyung…?”

“He will be fine. They will release him soon.” There was no indication in his voice that he was angry with his PA in any way. In fact, he sounded quite empathetic as he described his situation.

That’s a relief.

“I – thanks. Thanks for saving me,” he finally blurted out. He thought he might regret it forever, owe it forever to him.

“I can assure you I did it for myself. Also, it helps to get into Myungsoo’s good books again.”

His frankness astounded Sungjong but he didn’t say anything. Silence fell as Sunggyu went back to gazing at him intensely. Even though he was uncomfortable, he didn’t say anything. The elder only retreated when the nurse came in with his medicines.

“You’ll be released today,” she said cheerfully, helping him to sit up. “Oh, are you the fiancé?” she turned to Sunggyu to ask.

Sunggyu wore an unreadable expression as he muttered, “I wish.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yes sir, Sungyeol-ssi will be reased in two days. Everything is fine.”

“Thank you.”

Myungsoo hung up, relieved. He had taken Sungjong home earlier today and the younger had looked well enough to handle himself. As he had drifted off to sleep, Myungsoo had wandered about his room, then went to the kitchen to cook himself a small lunch.

He had called Jiyeon up yesterday. Even before she started to deny it, he had stalled her.

“Save it,” he had said curtly. “But listen to me, if you ever dare touch Sungjong again, and yes, I will find out if you have, I’m going to strangle you myself.”

She had started to blurt out some excuses but he had cut her off.

“This is the last chance I’m giving you,” he had warned. “And you’ll apologise to Sungjong. Not in person, I don’t want you anywhere near him. Send him a card.”

He had hung up after that. He wasn’t interested in whatever she had to say. He knew she had been behind this attack and in her insanity, she might try it again. But he had let her know that next time, he wouldn’t be kind enough to not press charges.

It was worrying, how many enemies Sungjong seemed to have made – Jiyeon, Minho, Seujong, his parents… When they finally got married, it would probably get better. For now, people thought that there was still a chance to stop them from commiting to each other.

I won’t let them.