The Heart Knows

Because It’s Not A Choice

He was on his way to his house from the airport when he received the call. He had been occupied with the baby; the little thing was sleeping snugly in the travel cot laid beside him. A pinkish face poked out from the several layers of blankets and towels the baby was wrapped in. Only 5 days old, Myungsoo had been a bundle of nerves when he had realized he would have to bring the baby all the way from Australia to Seoul all by himself. What if he made a mistake? What if forgot to feed the baby? What if the baby fell ill and he didn’t know what to do? But fortunately, the 25 hour flight had been peaceful.

The baby had started to cry once they got on the plane, but he was able to calm him down. A middle-aged woman sitting beside him had taken pity on him as he struggled to quieten and feed the baby from the bottle and had helped him. It hadn’t been as hard as he had expected to be. True, he had been alert all the time, but apart from that, he didn’t have any other difficulties. The baby seemed to be a quiet one, unlike his mother.

Maybe he resembles his father more.

Jiyeon had been tears when it was time for her to part with her newborn son. Myungsoo had felt bad about ripping the son from the mother’s arms, and he had suggested that she keep him for some time.

“I can come back later for him,” he had told her.

But she had been adamant about giving the baby away.

“I’ll live,” she told him, sniffing. “You’re his father now.”

Nervously, he tugged at his hand bag. Jiyeon had added his name as the father on the baby’s birth certificate and his passport. Legally, the baby was his son now. So he wouldn’t have to adopt him. However, there was no mention of Sungjong’s name anywhere and he was worried about how the younger would take that.

I’ll deal with it later, he thought, rubbing his fingers over his eyes. He had been awake for almost 30 hours now, having forgone his usual sleep on the plane to look after the baby. Exhaustion washed over him, threatening to shut his eyelids.

Almost there, he told himself, as he thought about the comfortable bed that awaited him, with Sungjong’s arms wrapped around him. It was late, Sungjong was probably at home.

Good, he thought, I can surprise him right away, and after that we can…catch up.

He liked traveling. But nowadays, he hated the separation that came with it. If only he could take Sungjong everywhere with him, it would have been ten times more relaxing and fun. Now, he ached to go back home, into Sungjong’s arms.

I miss him.

He had been dozing off when the call came, awakening him rudely. Cursing, he checked the number – it was the CEO.

What does he want with me?

If it was anyone else, he wouldn’t have received the call, but since the CEO only called him during emergencies, he grudgingly connected the call.

“Sir?” he asked curtly.

“Myungsoo, I have something to discuss with you. Something important.”

“I’m just coming back from a trip, Sir. Can it wait?” he said, not too patiently. He realized his tone was bordering disrespect and he checked himself. “I can come to your place tomorrow?”

There was a moment’s silence as the CEO considered.

“Come over tomorrow then.”

He could sense the uneasiness in his voice. It was not every day the CEO was unseated.

“Sir, what is it?”

He heard a deep sigh.

“Do you remember how I wanted to open a branch of Star Magazine in Hong Kong?”

It had been a long time ago but the man had indeed discussed his plans with him. However, he had not heard any advances on the plan.

“Yes.”

“I found a good investor who’s willing to go along with the plan.” For a second, there was excitement in his voice. “But,” he sounded unsure as he said, “he wants you to take office in Hong Kong. He wants a good, experienced man running the company. I can’t think of anyone but you.”

Myungsoo kept silent. What he had done for Star Magazine was not unknown. It wasn’t a surprise that the investor was not willing to trust anyone but him. But he couldn’t imagine leaving Seoul. This was his home, and with Sungjong’s career taking form, the younger couldn’t leave either. There was no question of being separated with Sungjong; the short trips were bad enough. Besides, they had a baby now; too much family commitment to move.

However, he might have a solution for him.

In fact, I can kill two birds with one stone, he reckoned.

“Sir, I actually have someone in mind. I’ll let you know tomorrow. Good night.”

 

Once home, he entrusted the baby to Mrs. Han’s care, who looked surprised but didn’t ask any questions. She was the kind of person who would never question even if he handed her a dead body.

The way she took the baby in her arms told him that he didn’t have to worry about a thing. However, he was disappointed to find that Sungjong was not at home.

“Do you know when he’s coming back?” he asked her.

Mrs. Han pressed her lips together.

“I think he said he had a meeting with his boss,” she replied timidly.

Crestfallen, he settled for a shower and then dinner. Finally, when Sungjong still didn’t return, he went to bed, wondering what was taking the younger so long.

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

 

 

With a start, Sungjong realized that Tao had been staring at him. He was pushing the spaghetti around on his plate, only drinking the wine now and then. Conversation was sparse. Given the choice, he would be anywhere but here, on a dinner with Tao, which the CEO, to his chagrin, kept calling ‘a date’.

“Do you not like the food? We can go somewhere else,” Tao said. He had cleaned his plate long ago.

“I’m done. Thanks for the food, I want to go back now,” he replied as politely as he could.

Tao’s smile was playful.

“Because Myungsoo is supposed to return today?”

Sungjong didn’t question how he knew. Truth was, he just wanted to be with his husband. Spending time with Tao reminded him of those cold, dark days when they had been dating. Tao would dress him up in rich clothes and bring him to expensive restaurants back then, just like today, just because he could. He had loved the power he had over him and he liked to watch what he could do with it.

“Have you ever thought why your husband is away so much?” Tao suddenly asked, examining his wine glass. It was half full. Sungjong didn’t answer.

“Some say he went to Australia to see his ex-girlfriend.”

His head snapped up. Jiyeon was in Australia? She was an employee of Royals but he had never seen her since he joined. Apparently, she had taken a long vacation.

“So you didn’t know.” Tao’s smiled widened. “He didn’t tell you, did he?”

“He didn’t go to see her,” he snarled back. There was no way Myungsoo would willingly go and see Jiyeon, after she had tried to kidnap him in the past. There was no way they were still friends, Myungsoo had said so clearly.

“Maybe he did. How would you know?” Tao shrugged his broad shoulders.

Sungjong realized he was shaking with anger. Grabbing the table to calm himself, he said, gritting his teeth, “I trust him.” Tao’s eyes lit up with amusement. “Something you wouldn’t understand,” he added acidly.

Tao his lips. Fixing him with a hard stare, he said grimly, “Do you know Jiyeon had an abortion before?”

His fingers shuddered, almost knocking his wine glass down. He knew it was a lie but he couldn’t help but react to it.

“You’re a liar! He never–they never-it can’t be!”

Throwing his head back, Tao laughed loudly, his shoulders jerking up and down. Sungjong’s anger boiled in his veins. He wanted to punch Tao, hard, and leave this instant. It was with difficulty he steadied himself.

“Oh you’re so naïve Sungjongie, as always. They were sleeping together alright, and Jiyeon was pregnant.”

A shiver ran down his spine. In can’t be, he screamed in his mind. Myungsoo wouldn’t lie to him. Had he just said that to make him feel better?

Don’t believe Tao, another voice urged in his head, he’s always been a manipulative liar. That was true, but what would the CEO gain from lying to Sungjong about Myungsoo.

“How-how do you know all this?”

“Ah, Sungjongie, everyone knows in the fashion world, except you.”

Rummaging in his pocket, he took out his phone. He pressed something and handed him the phone. His heart throbbing badly, Sungjong took the phone in his shaking hands and looked at the news article. It was headed by a picture of a woman, hiding under a thick shawl and wearing tinted sunglasses. Her demeanor said she didn’t want to be noticed, but her clothes were noticeably stylish and expensive. He squinted his eyes to look at the picture closely and recognition dawned.

With a gasp, she recognized Jiyeon, in front of the Star building.

Gulping, he lowered his eyes to read the article, dated about 5 or 6 months ago, dreading what he might read.

 

Is Park Jiyeon pregnant?

Top model, Park Jiyeon (30) has been missing from the public eye for a month now, ever since her ex-fiance had broken off their engagement. Yesterday, she had been spotted in front of the Star building. Speculations arose as to why she would visit her former work place. Insiders revealed that Jiyeon had met with Kim Myungsoo, ex-fiance and boyfriend. Those who tipped us about the visit mentioned that there was something noticeably different about the model, something that aluded to her pregnancy.

So was the visit to Star Magazine to decide the fate of the baby after discussion with its father. We had previously revealed that she might have terminated her last pregnancy. So would she keep this one? And if she does, will Kim Myungsoo play any part as its guardian?

See more

 

He couldn’t dare read anymore. His body had frozen. He weakly remembered Myungsoo telling him not to believe everything he read on the internet.

But this picture is not a lie.

Trembling, he looked up at Tao, who had a victorious smile on his face.

“I would have been better than this, Sungjong; I was always loyal to you.”

Without warning, tears burst from his eyes and he hid his face in his hands. The feelings inside him swelled – I’ll never be as perfect as Jiyeon. He had no idea why he felt so miserable; it was not like Myungsoo was leaving him. But if Jiyeon was pregnant, there was a chance that he might. After all, it would be his child, and no matter how much he loved him, he couldn’t hold him back.

‘You’re the reason Jiyeon had to get rid of her baby’ – a nasty voice spoke inside his head, filling with self disgust. He couldn’t stand it anymore. Getting to his feet, he raced out of the restaurant. His mind was boggled, his vision blurry. He didn’t know where he was going when he heard a loud honk very close to him before he felt an ominous sensation. The next thing he knew, he was being pulled back forcefully by strong hands wrapped around his arms.

“Watch where you’re going!” Tao shouted as a car whooshed by, missing him by an inch.

He was so stricken that he could neither move nor speak.

“You’re hopeless, I’ll take you home,” Tao said.

 

Sungjong returned home with a heavy heart. It was like a giant had pinched his heart between his thumb and forefinger. A finger of fear also poked at his sides – what if Myungsoo wants to leave? The happiness he had felt to think that his husband would be back today had dissipated long ago.

In a daze, he climbed the stairs and padded softly into the bedroom. Myungsoo was on the bed, sleeping probably. He felt his heart clench tightly as he approached the sleeping figure. Gently, he stooped to peck him lightly on the lips, when strong hands grasped his waist and pulled him towards the sleeping figure.

“I missed you,” Myungsoo mumbled sleepily, before capturing his lips in a deep kiss. The familiar smell of Myungsoo filled his nostrils and for a second, he was relieved. Myungsoo was his – he was back and only his.

With enthusiasm, he deepened the kiss, grabbing onto the elder’s shoulders.

I’m not going to give him up, he thought fiercely. Myungsoo moaned as he bit down on his lips, maybe a bit too fiercely. You’re mine, he was trying to say with every harsh nip.

“I-have-a-surprise-for-you,” Myungsoo panted as Sungjong didn’t let him finish more than one word at a time before he angled his lips over his mouth from every direction. The words didn’t even tug at him – he didn’t want any presents; he just wanted Myungsoo for himself. If the world called him selfish for it, let them.

His hands were busy claiming the skin of the elder’s torso as he pushed himself closer to him, straddling him effectively. Tao’s words burned red and raw in his ears – ‘I would have never betrayed you.’

Myungsoo whined loudly as his hands traveled down his waist, a lusty moan. Pleased, Sungjong continued, as Myungsoo’s voice grew louder and louder. He saw everything blurry through a haze of heat and pain when…

Wait, that’s not Myungsoo’s voice.

Slowly, as if he was rising from a dream, he pulled back, trying to comprehend the noise he was hearing, something that sounded oddly like a baby’s wailing.

“Did you hear that?” he asked Myungsoo. Was he hallucinating?

Instead of training his ears, Myungsoo gave him a sheepish smile.

“Surprise!”

“What-”

Pulling him by the hand, Myungsoo guided him to one of the spare guest rooms. He didn’t protest or ask anything, his heart shrinking with every step. What was the meaning of this? The cries grew louder and louder and he had no way to pretend that he didn’t know a baby was inside his house – their house. When Myungsoo pushed the door open, he had a clear view of Mrs. Han, bouncing a baby on her lap. Turning to face his husband, he asked in a voice raw as a wound, “Who’s that?”

Scratching his ear, Myungsoo said softly, “Don’t you want to see him first? He’s beautiful.”

He turned back to the baby, his heart drumming with an unknown fear. Of course there had to be a perfectly plausible explanation for the baby’s appearance in their house. Maybe it belonged to one of Myungsoo’s friends, who told him to take care of it for a day. Maybe Myungsoo’s friends were spending the night at this house and they had asked Mrs. Han to hold the baby while they did something else. Maybe, the surprise was a diamond necklace, or the Gucci sunglass he had seen in a magazine a few days ago.

Watching him hesitate, Mrs. Han joked, “Don’t worry he doesn’t bite. At least not yet.”

Uncertainly, he padded closer to the bed where Mrs Han was sitting, feeding the baby from a milk bottle. The crying had stopped. He saw a pale pink face, a cloud of dark hair; everything else was wrapped within a blanket.

His heart feared what his mind already knew.

How can I  ever beat a baby, his baby?