SPECIAL CHAPTER: SCHOOL BALL

spilled ink

“You’ve been looking at the mirror eversince I started dressing up which was like an eon ago.” Yoona rolls her eyes as she looks at her friend, who is obviously tensed. Tonight, they’ll be attending the school ball which marks one of the most important dates in their high school lives before they finally graduate. “Do you have someone to impress or what?”

 

Jessica turns her chair around and looks at Yoona in disbelief. “It’s the last time that I should look my best and make every boy regret that they did not ask me out.” Upon hearing her reason, Yoona chuckles lightly making Jessica snort. “Just because you look effortlessly beautiful in everything you wear.”

 

Yoona makes her way towards her friend and pinches her nose. “We’re both very pretty and yes, we’re going to make them regret for not asking us out earlier.” She says, and Jessica’s expression brightens up. “You look really good in a black short dress. Your legs look longer.” She then receives a light hit on the arm as she laughs.

 

“I see, my favorite daughters are finally ready for their last ball in high school!” They hear Mrs. Im say, and they turn to see her looking at the two of them with awe. “I can’t believe I’ll be sending you off to college soon.” She pretends to wipe a tear on her cheek, making Yoona snicker.

 

“I bet you’ll be really happy because you do not need to scold me everytime I don’t clean my room.” Yoona looks at her mother who is sending daggers at her with her eyes, and she approaches Mrs. Im before enveloping her into a big hug. “Let’s forget about college first okay? We’re going to enjoy ourselves tonight!”

 

Jessica joins the hug of the two and as they separate, Mrs. Im sends them a warning glare. “Tell me if anything spectacular happens tonight okay?” She then faces Yoona and pinches her arm. “You should report to me if ever a guy confesses to you okay?”

 

They are then interrupted when Mr. Im comes into the scene, as he shows them car keys. “You wouldn’t like to be late right? Let’s get going before your friends get tired of waiting for you.” He says, and the two kisses Mrs. Im’s cheeks before they follow Yoona’s dad to their front lawn. “There would be no alcoholic drinks there right? I’d be fetching you on time so don’t make me wait okay?”

 

The two nods, and they chat as they make their way to the hotel where they are going to be holding the Seniors’ Ball.

 

On the other hand, Yixing is anxiously looking at the door to check if Yoona and her friends have arrived. There are still five minutes before the program starts, and he’s quite worried that they wouldn’t make it on time.

 

“Xing, you’re going to get a stiff neck by continuously doing that.” Sehun says as he stares at his friend who keeps on looking at the entrance. “You’re going to see them around anyway.” He then goes back to his business, which is continuously punching the arm of the annoyed Kyungsoo.

 

Just as he is about to speak, he notices that Baekhyun and Irene have finally entered the ballroom so he assumes that Yoona is about to enter next. What surprised him is that she literally stands out from her friends due to her gorgeous red long gown.

 

“Goddamn it guys, I thought someone’s going to wear red as well!” Yoona complains as she looks at her friends who are silently chuckling. “Seo, I thought we’re going to be twin devils tonight!” She glances at Seohyun who is wearing a white short dress with various bead patterns sprinkled across. “But anyway, Joonmyeon’s tie is red so I guess that’ll work.”

 

“I mostly have black dresses in my closet so I had no choice.” Irene shrugs as she holds Baekhyun’s hand. “And we agreed that we’ll be wearing matching colors tonight.” She proudly says as she looks at Baekhyun who is busy playing with their intertwined fingers. The others just looked at them with disgust, while muttering some things.

 

“This couple is so gross.” Jessica comments and the others agree. “Ah, I prefer the two of you when you weren’t together yet!” She pretends as if she got chills just by looking at them, making Yoona chuckle.

 

Soon enough, the program starts and the guest speakers left messages for them to treasure. Some teachers also shared memorable moments with their batch which made them tear up a bit. Yoona reflects on her high school experiences and there a lot of things that she learned.

 

“We’ll get your foods so just stay here.” Joonmyun says as he gestures for Baekhyun to stand up as well, as they make their way to the buffet table. The girls are relieved that they don’t have to fall in line because they aren’t used to wearing heels.

 

“Ah, I love tonight’s buffet! I hope they’re going to be here for a long time in case I get hungry while we’re still partying.” Yoona says as she takes a bite of her seasoned chicken. “Give me the beef if you don’t want to eat it, dumbo.” She then pokes the beef on Jessica’s plate with her fork and places it on her plate.

 

They then finish eating and are chatting when the DJ suddenly played a party song. Being the wild person as they are, they immediately stand up from their seats as they groove to the beat.

 

“Oh come on Yixing, stop being a lame and just go to her!” Jimin pushes his friend towards where Yoona and her friends are at, but Yixing turns his back and continues to dance with his friends. “No wonder you still don’t have any girl friend now.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckles and when the song changes into a slow one, he smiles mischievously to Yixing before making his way to Yoona. His friends, who are seriously watching him, gasp in disbelief as he managed to make Yoona dance with him.

 

“Kyungsoo is the best.” Joongki says as he slowly claps his hands. “I bet they’re really close since he easily made her dance with him.” He purposely made his voice loud enough for Yixing to hear. The latter just sulks as he watches the two who seem to be having fun.

 

“So yeah, thank you for your time Yoong. I guess I’ll see you in family dinners again?” Kyungsoo says as they he passes Yoona to Joonmyun. She just nods and waves her hand lightly as Kyungsoo returns to his friends with a triumphant smile. “Yixing, I hope you watched what I did and learn from it.”

 

After Yoona finishes dancing with Joomyun and Baekhyun, she decides to take a break and sits on their table as she watches Jessica enjoy the slow dance with Jonghyun. She knows that there’s something going on between them, but Jessica refuses to tell her yet because the latter gets easily embarrassed.

 

“Yoong, that Yonghwa guy wanted to dance until the last song!” Seohyun approaches her and Yoona laughs at her current state. Seohyun is carrying her heels as she takes a seat beside Yoona and massages her foot. “Seriously, he didn’t want to let me go!”

 

“You finally found a guy who would hold on to you, Seo.” She teases the younger, who just sends a glare at her. “Oh come on, he’s attractive! And why didn’t you dance with him until the end? We only have a few more songs before everything’s done.”

 

Seohyun just shrugs as she leans back on the chair. “Yixing danced with me awhile ago.” Yoona glances at her friend who is slightly smiling. “I guess we were really better off as friends.” She says as gives a reassuring nod to her.

 

They danced the night away with their classmates, and they are more than happy because they managed to have some quality time atleast before their high school year ends. Kris also danced with Yoona and even though it is quite awkward, they are happy because they managed to stay as friends somehow.

 

 “Umm.” She hears someone speak from behind so she turns around and sees that Yixing is looking tensed. “May I have this dance?” As if on cue, the last song plays and Yoona nods slightly. Yixing takes her hands and placed it on his shoulders as he puts his hands on her waist.

 

They awkwardly sway to the music, with no one speaking during the first few seconds of the song.

 

“Well, it’s ending soon.” Yixing says after clearing his throat. “How was your night?”

 

“It was fun. I made sure to make time for my classmates because we’ll be going to different universities soon.” Yoona gives him a sweet smile, making his heart flutter. She looks astoundingly beautiful tonight, and he feels lucky enough to have a dance with her.

 

“Right, only a few of us were able to get in to Seoul University.” Yoona nods, and there is a silent moment once again. “Well, I wish you the best Yoona. I’ll still see you around.” He says as the song ends, and Yoona briefly smiles at him before leaving.

 

At that time, Yixing wanted to punch himself for being the stupid person as he is because he just missed a chance to confess to her.