thirteen.

spilled ink

“Alright, here are the school newspapers.” Their homeroom teacher, Ms. Kwon says, as everyone in the classroom seems to be more than excited. The school newspaper contains not only the most important news of the semester, but it also features various works other students have sent in. “Seunghyun and Daesung, distribute these to your classmates.”

 

The mentioned boys immediately stands up and gets the newspapers that are to be disseminated among the students in the class. Yoona is more than enlivened to see the contents of the newspaper they all have worked hard for.

 

“Unnie, I bet you contributed tons of articles there again!” Irene exclaims, as she gets a copy of her own. She immediately flips the page towards the editorial section and points at the small picture of Yoona beside her article’s title. “Pretty as ever.” The younger giggles, making Yoona roll her eyes.

 

As she watches the girl flip the pages, her eyes catch the sight of Yixing’s face. Their newspaper adviser insists on having a picture of him taken by Ahyoung to make the piece of writing more interesting. The article isn’t that long for it only covers half of the page but it is enough to satisfy the students’ taste due to some personal information about Yixing on the feature.

 

Yoona wonders if Yixing likes it, though.

 

“Dude, you look constipated!” Sehun says as he continues laughing on the picture of Yixing featured in the newspaper. “Your face can do better than this! Anyway, you’re lucky enough because Yoona-ssi is really great in writing. All of these information look so real!”

 

“The easiest article to be edited is Yoong’s to be honest. She hardly makes any mistake.” Kyungsoo says, as he smiles proudly upon reading his colleague’s work. “Gotta congratulate her later then.”

 

Yixing eyes Kyungsoo as the latter keeps on reading. For the nth time, he wonders how it feels like to be a good friend of Yoona. After their little conversation on the ice cream shop days ago, he barely talks to her. Not that they always speak with each other, though, so he wants to inwardly punch himself for worrying about his relationship with Yoona when they have an awkward one in the first place.

 

“You should really stop being obvious, man.” Joongki pats his friend’s back, as Yixing just stares weirdly at him. “You know you should figure your feelings out since it’s still early. Who knows who you’ll hurt first.”

 

Yixing just shrugs, not aware of what his friend wants to say. As he continues to listen to his friends talk about how good their school newspaper is, he sees a figure on the door of their classroom and he immediately beams. Seohyun smiles at him, as she gestures for him to go to her.

 

“Looking good in the feature, huh?” Seohyun casually says, as she leans on the railing located in the corridor. “You’re lucky that Yoona’s great at playing with words. She managed to make you look cooler than you already are!” She chuckles lightly, and he goes along with it.

 

True enough, the article isn’t what Yixing is expecting. Knowing that he’s probably on her bad side, he didn’t expect that Yoona can turn such simple words into amusing ones. “I’m going to thank her later.” If, she is not mad at me.

 

Seohyun notices that Yixing quiets up for a moment, and wonders what is wrong. “Is something troubling you lately, Yixing?” She asks, and Yixing just shakes his head. Not wanting to dig into the matter anymore, she changes the topic. “Anyway, may you please accompany me to the cafeteria? My friends do not like going out at lunch time.”

 

Yixing nods his head, and starts to head to the cafeteria beside Seohyun. He can hear the usual chatter of the students, but he has gotten used to it. It is not new for everyone to see them together, but they all want to know what the real deal is between the campus sweetheart and the heartthrob.

 

Sometimes, he thinks if this is the reality that he wanted. Sure enough, he now has Seohyun on is grasp and he is not numb enough to not know that the girl is starting to like him. But ever since Yoona has gotten into the picture, he doesn’t know anymore. His feelings for Seohyun seem to have been… fading slowly.

 

“You did a great job as always, Yoona! Everyone’s just so delighted for this year’s issue!” Mr. Kim praises Yoona, whom he called during the lunch break. “Too bad, you’re going to be graduating soon.” He sadly says, and Yoona can hear the sincerity in his voice but she just smiles.

 

“Ahyoung and the rest can handle this club very well, Mr. Kim. They are very capable of continuing the legacy the other senior students have started.” Yoona means it, a lot. True enough, she’s going to miss the club. The sleepless nights due to working for the articles, to the chaos in the club room everytime the publishing is nearing sure would be the things that will make Yoona think of the Journalism Club more often after she graduates.

 

They chatted for a bit, before Mr. Kim dismisses Yoona. She then proceeds to go to the journalism room, and sees Minho and Sooyoung arguing like the usual.

 

“Oh, yes you damn freaking idiot! How many times have I told you to revise that freaking cartoon! It looks so out of place!” Sooyoung shrieks, as she points at the cartoon that is located on the bottom of the news page.

 

“Yoona approved of it, so why should I still change it?” Sensing that the atmosphere’s going to be worse, Yoona clears attracting the attention of the two. “She’s still whining about the freaking cartoon! Damn perfectionist!” He hisses, earning a glare from the tall girl.

 

“Oh come on, it’s already published! We’re going to graduate soon and you’re still arguing about that cartoon?” Yoona chuckles, as she puts an arm around Sooyoung’s shoulders. “One of these days, we should plan about our farewell party.”

 

Sooyoung immediately smiles and turns to hug Yoona. “You really are the best!”

 

*

 

“Ah, you sure are getting a lot of attention, Ms. Im.” Kris says, making Yoona a bit startled. “You look cute.” He pinches her nose before taking a seat in front of her.

 

“You know, you’re a big man but sometimes I don’t notice your presence.” She says, as she continues to eat the pasta that she ordered. Kris chuckles, knowing very well why she didn’t notice him.

 

“You’re too absorbed in eating that you make such a unique expression and tends to ignore your surroundings.” He then imitates the way Yoona eats, earning a laugh from the latter. “You’re aware that you’re laughing while looking at yourself while eating, right?”

 

Yoona just shrugs, as she puts down her fork. “It’s just that, I know that I don’t look that weird and ugly when I’m filling up my stomach with such delicacies.” She sticks her tongue out, before getting her fork again to eat.

 

“They look lovely, right?” Seohyun suddenly says, making Yixing turn to where she is pointing. His eyes widen upon seeing the two familiar figures two tables ahead of them. “Kris is actually pretty obvious towards his feelings for Yoona but she’s just too engrossed in studying that she doesn’t take notice of him.”

 

He watches as Yoona smiles widely and soon bursts into peals of laughter after Kris seems to have said something funny. “Yes, they do look like they’re having fun.” He didn’t mean it to sound so half-hearted and bitter, but he just couldn’t help it. He covers his statement with a smile, before eating his cake again.

 

“I really want them to be together soon!” As Seohyun continues to talk about how she wants Yoona and Kris to be paired up, Yixing is lost in his thoughts. Ever since Yoona has come to his life, he began to doubt his feelings for Seohyun. But as he stares at the girl in front of him, he inwardly smiles.

 

Maybe it’s just a silly crush, and he’d get over Yoona soon. After all, he’s convincing himself that Seohyun has always been the one.