eighteen point two.

spilled ink

“Guys, the girls’ volleyball team’s game would be at 2pm in court A!” Dasom announces, and the others nod their heads. “They’ll be fighting against 4-A so, let’s hope for the best.” She chuckles nervously, and the rest just sighs, knowing how strong the opponent team is.

 

Yixing is hoping that their class would win, but he didn’t want 4-A to lose either. They watch the team crush 4-C with three straight sets won awhile ago, and all that’s left is 4-A versus 4-B. It is such a coincidence since they’re going to compete on the basketball finals as well.

 

“Hey, we still have 15 minutes before the game starts. Let’s go buy some refreshments for our classmates!” Jimin suggests, and all of them nod. They stand up from their usual table in the cafeteria and proceed to go to the vending machine and buy some.

 

“Aren’t we going to give Yoona and her friends as well? They’re going to play right?” Sehun says, and Joongki nudges him. “Alright, I’ll be buying them a drink.” He grins widely and glances at Yixing who stares blankly at him.

 

They arrive in the gymnasium on time. It seems like the teams have just finished strategizing and are just waiting for the referee to start the game. They find a seat close to the court and once the whistle is blown, the game starts.

 

The beginning isn’t that bad. Unlike the bracket awhile ago, 4-B is able to score 5 points on the first 10 minutes of the game while 4-A is leading with 8 points. Thanks to their team captain, Hyeri, they are able to carry on for the rest of the game even though Shin Hye’s spike ends the game with 25-15.

 

“They aren’t that bad as Hyori’s class whose mouths are as big as their asses.” Sooyoung says, earning a smack on the arm from Yoona. “Anyway, they also have a strategy and Yuri told me some things about the opponents.”

 

Their homeroom teacher calls Yuri, who steps forward to join the circle. “Only two of them know how to spike downwards aside from serving. They’re numbers 5 and 9. I can also assume that they’re the aces of the team since they are the only ones moving whenever the others are stunned by your attacks.”

 

“Moreover, number 1 is the only setter and has not been changed alongside 5 and 9. The others can only do the basic set to setter to spiker with no special moves added.” She glances to the other team who is busy strategizing as well. “But we cannot let our guards down since they might have something up on their sleeves.”

 

The referee blows the whistle once again, and the girls are back in the court. For the second set, 4-A decides to bring most of the bench players on the court, leaving Yoona and Shin Hye to assist them.

 

“I really don’t think we stand a chance against them. Yoona and Shin Hye have incredible stamina!” Joongki exclaims, as he points to the duo who just finished a spike that isn’t caught by the other team. “But, our class isn’t that bad either.”

 

The others nod, while Yixing remains staring at the opponent’s court. He didn’t know that someone can still glow even though she’s playing a strenuous game. The way she lifts her hand to serve another spike is just too graceful that—

 

“Damn, another set won by them!” He wakes up from his daydream after Sehun shouts in frustration. “But hey, Yoona looks hot!” He says, earning a chuckle from his friends.

 

“Yoona-noona, you did a great job! Please don’t be substituted on the last set!” They all turn around after hearing the cheer of the juniors who are starstruck after Yoona shoots them a smile. Yixing shakes his head, fully knowing how popular she is to the boys in their school.

 

Yoona chuckles upon the cuteness of her juniors, and decides to smile as well. It is a fun game, though she has to be substituted so that the other players can have their time in the court. Only Shin Hye stays in, insisting that she should atleast be a responsible co-captain as she is.

 

“I’ll be back on the last 10 minutes of the game.” Yoona says to their homeroom adviser who just nods. She takes a gulp on the bottled water that is sponsored to them, and watches as the game intensifies for the first few minutes of the game.

 

Unfortunately, while they are trying to do a set, Eunjung trips and falls on the floor. They continue the game as they think that she can stand up after a minute, but she still isn’t able to move due to her ankle injury. The game is halted and a stretcher is brought, as Eunjung keeps on apologizing to everyone. Yoona is back in the court, as she promised Eunjung that they will still win this time.

 

With a huge turn of events, 4-B is able to catch up with them as they only have a three-point gap. It’s now 20-23, and most of the players are now exhausted but none of them are willing to give up. 4-A is able to score another point as Yoona tosses the ball on the other court as Taeyeon is faking a spike.

 

4-B groans, knowing that they’re on the brink of losing since it’s 20-24. With Yoona as the last server, they all hold their breaths as they watch the ball fly across the other side, but none of them caught it assuming that it is on the outside.

 

Yoona bites her lips in frustration as she looks at the scoreboard, but is shocked once she sees a point added to them. “Line ball!” The referee announces and blows the whistle, motioning for the girls to do a handshake.

 

They give a friendly hug to the students of 4-B, and say that it is a great game. Once all is settled, all of the students who watched goes down the bleachers and congratulates the players. Yixing and his friends go to their class’ side first, before trying to make their way on the crowded court of 4-A.

 

“Hey, Yoong!” Yoona turns around, only to see Sehun being squished by the crowd. She chuckles as she grabs his arm towards her, and takes the bottle that is handed to her. “Great game out there, Ms. MVP.” He winks at her, as he ruffles her hair.

 

Yixing sees their small interaction and decides to interrupt. “I wanted us to win but you are a monster once you are into it.” She laughs at his statement. “Anyway, congratulations!”

 

Yoona smiles as she bows her head to them. “Thank you! Oh, your game’s on the other side right? We’re going to watch!” She says. “But don’t expect us to cheer for you, okay?” She winks to the two boys, who chuckle along with her. “We’re going to change first, so please reserve a good seat for us!”

 

She waves her hand to the two and calls her teammates so that they can change. They all follow her to the changing room, as Yixing and his friends decide to do their warm-up 10 minutes before the game officially starts.

 

“Put bags on the first eight seats so Yoona and her friends can sit near us.” Yixing instructs, as Jimin and Kyungsoo proceeds to follow his order. He then goes to his teammates and they start preparing for the game.

 

*

 

“YIXING IS UNBELIEVABLY GOOD AT THIS!” Jessica yells as she tries to converse with Yoona. If the crowd awhile ago is huge enough to cover half of the gymnasium, after the news of the senior boys’ final game, it seems like the whole school population decided to go watch the game.

 

The cheers are too loud, and one can really distinguish which side the others are into. Some are cheering for 4-A because of Kris and Siwon, while the others are on 4-B because of Yixing, Sehun, and Joongki.

 

It is now the third quarter and no one can really tell who’s going to win because it seems to be on a give and take situation. 4-A scores and point and after a few minutes, 4-B will do the same and vice versa. Yoona is quite confident on Kris’ skills but after seeing Yixing’s performance in the court, she is nervous and at the same time, amused.

 

The players in the court seem to be oblivious of the roaring cheers in the gymnasium. They are all too busy doing their tasks, while trying to score a point for the team. Yixing passes the ball to Sehun, who goes through two of the blockers of 4-A. He tries to do a lay-up, and succeeds, gaining two points for the team.

 

Siwon does a rebound a runs to their side of the court, and soon passes the ball to Kris who is waiting on the three-point line. He takes the chance where no one is blocking him in the front so he calculates his moves and throws the ball, which fortunately goes in the basket. With the tensed atmosphere, everyone is more than excited to know the end results of the game.

 

The third quarter ends with a 54-56 score, with 4-A leading due to Kris’ three-point shoot. They goes back to the bench to refresh for a few minutes, as they listen to their coach’s instructions.

 

“Number 11 and Number 21 are good at doing backscreen, watch out for them. Their obvious ace is number 14 since he is one of the tallest and fastest players in their team. Number 6 is doing a good job in scoring for them, so Yixing should be his defender since you’re skilled as well.”

 

They all nod their heads and pray for a short time before entering the court once again. They can never be assured with a one-point gap, so they know that they really have to do their best in order to win this game. Kris looks over to the bench where Yoona and her friends are sitting, and he gives her a smile.

 

A signal rings once again and they are summoned in the court. 4-B has the ball, and they know that it’s a crucial move once they are able to make a point. Kris goes to his post and runs after Sehun, who is aiming to do an alley-oop.

 

Yoochun senses that they’re in a critical situation so he blocks Sehun before he can even attack. Sehun groans and passes the ball to Yixing but he is a second late because Kris suddenly appears out of nowhere, steals the ball from his hand and runs to their court and flawlessly does a three-point once again.

 

The give-and-take situation continued for like an eternity, and Yoona is starting to get nervous. There is only 4 minutes left before the end games, and their team is only leading with a five-point gap. It might have been a huge one if it is a volleyball game but since the scoring system is different, she knows that t isn’t that big.

 

She praises Kris for doing a good job in leading the team, casually signaling them to move as he wants them to. He is not only a good player, but he is a strategist as well. She smiles when their class scores another two, and chuckles when Kris suddenly salutes on their side.

 

With only a minute left on the timer and 2 points to surpass, Yixing confidently glances on his teammates and they nod. This is their last chance and he has to shoot on the three-point line so they can win this game.

 

Sehun is heavily guarded after they found out that he is the ace of the team, but they have forgotten that 4-B has their trump card as well. He laid-low after a few minutes of owning the game so 4-A would only set their eyes on Sehun.

 

Luckily, Sehun finds a loophole on his guards’ defense. He glances to his left, fakes a move, and once he fools them, he passes the ball to Yixing who is now running to the three point line. He has no guard, calculates his movement, and throws the ball in the air hoping that it would reach the basket.

 

“Time’s up!”

 

There is a moment of silence in the gymnasium, before everyone erupts in loud cheers. Kris’ breath hitches, and once he realizes that he got the ball, he sighs in relief. He looks at Yixing who is just staring at him, and looks at him with sorry in his eyes.