The Party

Mean Guys
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[A/N] In celebration of getting 1,000 comments i'm updating early today! Enjoy!

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Kai?” Baekhyun asked, he recognized that voice of course.

“Something wrong?” Kai asked while going and standing in front of Baekhyun stall. He leaned against it figuring Baekhyun wouldn’t open it for him, much to his surprise Baekhyun did open the stall and a startled Kai ended up falling on his lap.

“Oh God sorry! I didn’t think you’d actually open the door!” Kai said quickly while picking himself up.

Baekhyun let out a pitiful laugh and a frown settled on Kai’s face. “This isn’t like you…” He said softly while kneeling down to look Baekhyun in the eyes. “What’s going on with you? I haven’t really talked to you since the talent show.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Baekhyun whispered while balling his hands into fists. “I guess I just know now how little I’m worth.”

“What?” Kai asked while grabbing Baekhyun hands. “Baek, look at me.” Kai commanded and Baekhyun slowly looked up to meet Kai’s eyes.

“Why would you say something like that?” Kai asked sincerely.

“Look at me!” Baekhyun said raising his voice. “I’m just a ing fat loser now and no one likes me anymore.”

“What?” Kai asked confused. “Baekhyun, you’re not fat and you’re not a loser. You may be a little conceited and obnoxious, but that’s just who you are.”

“But it’s not.” Baekhyun whimpered. “I don’t want to be like that, but I can’t help it.”

“How can you not help it? You’re in charge of your own actions.” Kai said while wiping a stray tear that managed to slip from Baekhyun’s eye. Sure, he wasn’t the biggest fan of Baekhyun because Baekhyun sure did put him through hell, but something about him just seemed so broken right now, as if he was on the edge and Kai felt the need save him.

“My life isn’t as perfect as everyone thinks Ok?” Baekhyun said with a bit of poison laced in his words. “Nothing about my life is perfect.”

Kai laughed a bit and grabbed Baekhyun’s hands. “Nothing about life is perfect. You need to realize that Baekkie.” Kai said cutely to try and cheer him up. It didn’t work seeing as he got no reaction from Baekhyun so he just continued, “Look, my life isn’t perfect either.”

“How? Your parents are nice, you’re rich, you have some perfect boyfriend, you’re the star sports player, and you’re the most popular guy in the school…” Baekhyun said before trailing off. Thinking about how perfect Kai’s life seemed just made him feel more pitiful.

“You’re doing the same thing.” Kai said with a laugh.

“What?”

“You said your life isn’t as perfect as everyone thinks, but then you go and say my life is perfect because of…what everyone thinks. My life isn’t perfect, what you see on the outside isn’t a full representation of my life just like yours isn’t of you.” Kai said while squeezing on his hands. “Do you want to tell me about what’s going on? Lunch just started and I’m not that hungry.”

“No, you should eat.” Baekhyun said while pushing Kai’s hands away. “Don’t let me stop you from eating.”

“Baekhyun considering someone else’s feelings and well-being? NOW I know something is wrong.” Kai said and smiled as this time he successfully managed to make Baekhyun laugh. The laugh was weak and barely visible, but Kai could see the smile Baekhyun was trying to hide.

“Shut up.” Baekhyun said with a pout.

“So,” Kai said while getting up and standing in front of Baekhyun, “Are you gonna scoot over and let me sit down?”

“What? We can’t both fit on here.” Baekhyun protested, but Kai being Kai pushed Baekhyun over a bit as he took a seat on the closed toilet. Yeah his left cheek wasn’t being supported, but right now Baekhyun needed support more than one half of his .

“Maybe if I wasn’t so fat we both could fit on here.” Baekhyun whispered, but Kai heard it loud and clear and to say it upset him was an understatement.

“You’re not fat, Baek. Please stop.” Kai pleaded. “Seeing you like this…I don’t like it.”

“Why are you acting like you care all of sudden?” Baekhyun asked turning to face Kai, “As soon as Kyungsoo came into the picture it was like I didn’t exist anymore.”

“That’s not my fault!” Kai argued. “You know I cared about you and still do, but all you ever did was take advantage of me and never take our relationship seriously. How long can you expect me to sit there and wait?”

“I don’t know.” Said Baekhyun, “I guess I’m not worth the wait.” He finished bitterly.

“Don’t do this. Baekhyun, I know your life isn’t perfect, but turning into someone cold and heartless isn’t the way to deal with it. Try making real friends, not friends who follow you around like lost puppies because they’re afraid of you.” Kai brought his arm up and wrapped it around Baekhyun’s shoulders pulling him close. “We may not exactly work as a couple, but I still care about you.”

“You already said that.” Baekhyun pointed out with a small smile.

“Yeah, well you still look depressed, so I’m going to say it as many times as I need to.” Kai replied while attempting to tickle Baekhyun’s sides.

“Stop!” Baekhyun yelled suddenly self-conscious again. “Don’t do that. You’ll just end up touching all the fat.”

Kai rolled his eyes. “Baek. Why do you keep making me repeat myself?” Kai asked, “You. Are. Not. Fat.”

“Look at my cheeks.” Baekhyun said while pulling at them. Kai could tell they were obviously fuller than they were before, but it was cute to him to see Baekhyun look like a normal person. He put on some weight, but he wasn’t fat and that’s all he wanted the older to see.

“All I’m seeing is that you put on some weight, Baekhyun that’s normal.” Kai reassured.

“Not for me! I always pay attention to what I eat.” Baekhyun sighed. “But these stupid protein bars Kyungsoo has me eating are making me gain weight really fast. I’m supposed to lose the weight before homecoming at least, but in the meantime everyone keeps making pointing out my weight gain.”

Kai raised an eyebrow. Protein bars aren’t used for losing weight. “Hey show me those proteins bars you’re eating. That sounds weird to me.”

“I don’t have any right now, I have some at Chanyeol’s place though. I can show you after school.” Baekhyun said without realizing what he had just said.

Kai pulled away from Baekhyun with wide eyes. “Chanyeol’s place? Why would you have stuff at Chanyeol’s place?”

Baekhyun froze upon the realization of what he had just said. “I…um…”

“Are you guys….?” Kai asked.

Baekhyun sighed, there was really no getting around it. Might as well just tell Kai the truth. “Yes.”

“What the hell?” Kai asked stunned. “For how long?”

“For like a month.” Baekhyun whispered.

Kai stood up, angry, but making sure to control himself because although he was mad he didn’t want to make Baekhyun cry again.

“So you’re telling me that you guys have been dating for a whole MONTH. And neither by ex-boyfriend, nor my actual best friend bothered to let me know?” Kai hissed.

“Because…I thought it was best.”

“How would that be best? For whom? The both of you? Do you guys think about anyone else?” Kai asked.

“Why are you so upset? You’re dating Kyungsoo so it’s not like I’m obligated to be loyal to you or something, am I?” Baekhyun asked, he really didn’t know Kai would react like this.

“No, but I never hid my relationship with Kyungsoo from you and I’ve never lied to Chanyeol about hardly anything. I just feel…a little betrayed by the both of you, although I am happy for you.” Kai sighed.

“If you’re happy for me, then stop being mad at me…please?” Baekhyun asked, and Kai suddenly felt guilty for being upset when Baekhyun looked at him like a lost puppy. The angry left his body as quickly as it came and he sighed.

“It’s just shocking Ok? I’m not mad at you, I promise.” Kai said while taking a seat next to him again. “So, now that, that’s out, want to tell me what’s going on that is upsetting you much?”

“A lot of stuff.” Baekhyun mumbled. “I’m just not happy.”

“Jesus Baekhyun, I’m asking WHY you aren’t happy!” Kai said a little louder than he intended.

Baekhyun pouted and turned away. “If you’re going to yell at me then you can leave.”

Kai sighed and dragged a hand down his face. He forgot just how patient one has to be with Baekhyun. That part of him was still the same. “I’m sorry Ok? I just want to know why you went from being a diva to being…this.”

Baekhyun turned to face him again, “I’m fat Ok? People make fun of me now which is the whole reason I was so self-conscious about my image. Is it wrong that I didn’t want people to make fun of me? I don’t think so.”

“What else? I know that’s not all you’re upset about.” Kai nudged him. “You can trust me Baek. Tell me what’s really going on.”

Baekhyun sighed before continuing, “When I was a kid my mother died in a car accident.”

“But-”

“The woman you met when I introduced you to my family wasn’t my mother, but my step-mother and she hates me. She hates every fiber in my body and if was up to her I would have been shipped off to boarding school a long time ago. She hates me because I’m gay and she thinks I’m difficult. She doesn’t see though that I wouldn’t be difficult if she didn’t feel the need to tell me she HATES me every single day.” Baekhyun let out. “Oh and my father doesn’t give a about me either. He never acknowledges me and apologizes for not being in my life by writing me checks. However, I basically have everything I want already. I don’t want his money anymore. I just want a parent who actually loves me.”

“God, Baek why didn’t you ever tell me that?” Kai asked while pulling him close.

“Because…” Baekhyun started and he could feel himself beginning to shake. “Because no one ever bothered to ask. Sehun has been to my house a million times and never once took a moment to ask why there aren’t any family pictures from when I was a baby. He’s never asked how come my father is never home either.”

“You can’t ask him to do that, Baekhyun if you don’t ever let anyone know there’s a problem they aren’t going to look for one.” Kai whispered into his ear.

“I know it’s stupid and irrational, but I can’t help it! I feel like such a burden to everyone around me.” Baekhyun said while wiping his eyes. He was crying now and he hated himself for it. “I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for. If your step mom hates you then she’s just an immature who doesn’t know how to treat a child, and if your father thinks money buys happiness and love then he’s incredibly stupid.” Kai said while rubbing his back. “You can stay at my house if you don’t want to be at yours Ok?”

Baekhyun smiled and brought himself to sit up, “Well I’m staying with Chanyeol often, but thanks for the offer.”

“Oh, for a second I forgot you guys were dating.” Kai laughed while punching Baekhyun lightly on the shoulder. “I know he’s liked you for a long time, so I’m really glad you finally gave him a chance.”

“I’m glad too.” Baekhyun said while drying his eyes. Lunch was about to be over and he didn’t want people to know he was crying. “Isn’t Kyungsoo going to wonder where you were all lunch period?”

“He probably won’t even notice I’m there.” Kai rolled his eyes. “He’s been acting so different lately.”

“Oh.”

“But well I’m going to confront him about it at his party tonight. You’re coming right?” He turned.

“He didn’t invite me…” Baekhyun said in slight disbelief. “I guess even my friends aren’t really my friends anymore.”

“Just come, and don’t forget to bring those protein bars you’re eating. I want to check them out Ok?”

“Ok.” Baekhyun said as the bell finally rang. “So see you later?”

“Yeah.” Kai said before bringing Baekhyun in for a hug. “You’re going to be fine Baek, stay strong, for me.” Kai whispered into his ear.

Baekhyun smiled and nodded his head. “I’ll try.”

“Nope.” Kai said while flicking the smaller’s nose. “No trying, just do it.”

Baekhyun laughed. “Ok, Ok.”

“Alright then, let’s go!” Kai said while leading him out of the bathroom in a superman pose.

 

--

 

“I can’t do this.” Chen said nervously while pacing around backstage. “I can’t go up there and perform in front of all of those people. What was I thinking?”

“You’re fine.” Xiumin said while patting him on the back. “You’re going to go out there and knock all of their socks off!” Xiumin tried to sound as enthusiastic as possible.

“No I’m not. I have insane stage fright.” Chen said while pacing.

“Just imagine this is like every school talent show and you’re dressed up. Or imagine everyone else in the audience is in their underwear.”

“That stuff doesn’t actually work!” Chen cried out. “It will just distract me and mess me up!”

“Calm down!” Xiumin said while grabbing Chen’s shoulders and making him stand still. “You got this!”

“I don’t though.” Chen said deflated. “I just know I’m going to go out there and mess everything up.”

“Listen to me!” Xiumin said as he slapped Chen…hard. “You got this!” He slapped him again. “Do you hear me!?” He slapped him once more. “You” Slap. “Got!” Slap. “This!” Slap.

“OK! I ING GOT THIS!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter