An Ounce of Hope

I Need You to Survive

Taeyeon and Jessica were next to each other stretching, “Wow I didn’t know we had this many people in sports.”

“This is only half,” Taecyeon popped in beside the girls to join them in stretching, “We are a male sport school which offers 23 different sports. You can’t expect nearly the entire student body to fit into this gym although it is pretty big.”

“We really have that many sports?”

“Well some have very few people...but yea. That many.”

Taeyeon looked around, “Who are we with?”

“They usually split us into four groups...looks like soccer, badminton, cross country and track, weightlifting, Table tennis, oh and it looks like we have the water polo and diving teams. Interesting mix.”

Jessica looked around and couldn’t tell anyone apart based on sport, “How do you know who is in all the teams?”

“You will know within a year...sometimes body type and who they hang around. Like the diving team and water polo get along since they share the pool. I think once you see another man , friendship is instant.”

Both Jessica and Taeyeon crinkled their nose in disgust with that mental image, “So the other teams?”

“The first group was before us. We are second and then the other two will go after we are finished.”

Suddenly a loud whistle broke the chatter that was filling the gym, “Alright boys partner up and get on the line.”

Taeyeon and Jessica turned to each other causing Taecyeon to pout a bit before finding Yoochun. Jessica saw Nichkhun a few people down who happened to pair up with that scrawny kid she saw sometimes in the badminton gym, “Taengoo who is that with Nichkhun?”

Taeyeon looked over, “Oh Ryeowook. He doesn’t really play on the team.”

“Then why is he here? Didn’t your team do cuts?”

Taeyeon looked over, “I am not sure. Maybe the coach had some plans. I don’t make the cuts.”

Jessica nodded but shrugged it off so she could listen to the teacher explain the rules. Everything they would be doing is in pairs and the partner is to record their partner’s performance. After every event, the teachers will take the scores and record them. They warned no cheating because this was all being recorded in case there is a controversial issue.

“Do you want to go first?”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon, “I could go first. I can show you how to do the exercise if that helps you?”

Taeyeon flashed her girlfriend a smile, “I would like that.”

Taecyeon noticed Jessica was going first, “Jung. I want to see how I do against you.”

Jessica rolled her eyes, “Don’t want to hurt your pride Taecyeon.”

He got the hint that if he lost that he would be losing to a girl but he just smiled and waited for the whistle to blow to start the drill. As the drill was going on, Taeyeon saw it might take a while for Jessica to finish so she looked to her side but saw Ryeowook almost on the ground in exhaustion causing her to be very confused, “That was only 3 points...no one should finish that fast?”

After waiting 20 minutes, most of the athletes were laying on the ground in exhaustion and Jessica would be no exception followed by Taecyeon. Taeyeon laughed as she kneeled down next to Jessica, “That was really good 56. You were awesome.”

Jessica gave a week smile, “That was a horrible way to start off.”

“I know suicides with the beeping machine but 56 was better than 2/3 of the athletes.”

Jessica sat up when she saw Taeyeon offer her water, “You will do well.”

“Lucky if I get 20.”

The whistle blew once the last runner called it quits, “Alright. Congrats to Ho-Min from cross country with the record of 73 today.”

Taeyeon’s mouth dropped, “Is that even possible?”

Jessica shook her head, “That is why they win every year from what Taecyeon told me.”

“What do you mean?”

“When you went to the bathroom Taecyeon was saying how the teams compete to see who is the best physically. Cross country usually wins because the exercises are mostly endurance. Oh but the team with the lowest score will have a punishment.”

Taeyeon looked over slyly at Ryeowook who was not in the least tired after that unimpressive 3 points, “I wonder.”

The whistle blew again, “Okay next group!”

Taeyeon positioned herself to start the drill and went off with the first beep. Jessica was cheering her on trying to get the smaller girl to push herself although exhaustion was clearly written on her face once she passed 30, but that girl was still moving. Yet it didn’t last long and Taeyeon had enough with 35 exactly, “Wow babe you did great.”

Taeyeon couldn’t utter a single word as her lungs were burning but she did manage to see Nichkhun was finished and not an ounce tired. She couldn’t believe that she did better than him since he was usually the ace on the team for everything. Maybe she really did do amazing at this drill like Jessica said.

 

There were a total of 8 drills the athletes had to do that were divided into endurance and strength. Already at the halfway mark, the teacher decided to announce the top and low scoring teams, “Cross country is still leading with 478 points while...badminton? Wow really badminton is on the low end with 239 points. Large margin between top and bottom teams.”

Taecyeon looked at Taeyeon in shock, “Why is your team doing so bad? I have been watching Taeyeon who has done better than most guys from the other teams.”

Taeyeon looked over at Nichkhun and Ryeowook, “I feel like Nichkhun is up to something.”

Taecyeon and Jessica looked over to that pair, “Why do you say that?”

“Nichkhun is finishing before me which doesn’t make sense and Ryeowook quits right at the drill starts. Almost like giving us a zero on every event.”

“But he won’t pass the exam that way and have to sit out for the tournament this weekend you have?”

Taeyeon scratched her neck, “Doesn’t matter. He is not on to play.”

“You don’t think...he is trying something again?” Jessica said almost in a whisper.

Taeyeon eyes opened in shock, “Why would he?”

“I have no idea.”

Taecyeon thought about it until he realized something, “I am not supposed to tell you this but the punishment this year is streaking. If the badminton team loses, Kim has to go out and you know...”

Jessica scratched her head, “That boy...I am going to kill him.”

Taeyeon trying making Jessica relax a bit but the break time was almost over and they had to continue the testing, “We will think of something.”

The next exercise was sit ups so Taeyeon went to hold Jessica’s feet down, “I think you were looking forward to this one Kim. Your ears are red.”

Jessica peeked up to look at her girlfriend who was starting to flush red, “So cute.”

With the blow of the whistle, the drill started with another annoying beep that judged when they could go up and down. Taeyeon already saw herself having nightmares with the painful and reoccurring beeping that the instructors liked to use on these exams. Maybe they were 14 sit-ups in and Taeyeon heard some murmuring beside her so she peeked over to see Nichkhun and Ryeowook just talking, “Cheater.”

Jessica heard what Taeyeon said, “What?”

“Look, Ryeowook is finished.”

Jessica scrunched her face in anger, “this needs to stop.”

“I don’t know how and we have a lot of points to make up now.”

Jessica groaned, “I will talk it out with Taecyeon once we finish.”

“Okay.”

 

It was finally time for the second to last drill and Taecyeon decided enough was enough with whatever Nichkhun and Ryeowook were trying to do. He and Jessica thought it should end now so he carefully poured water on the floor and waited for Taeyeon to bring the kid over. Taeyeon noted where the water was and made sure to divert his attention elsewhere until they got closer and then the boy was falling to the ground. Taecyeon wanted to make sure he got hurt so he also ‘accidentally’ ran into the boy making his head hit the ground hard.

“Ryeowook are you okay?” Taeyeon was actually concerned for her teammate although she knew this sacrifice had to be done.

Ryeowook was about to get up but the ache in his head was way too much so he laid back and the teacher rushed over, “He might have a concussion. We should take him to the nurse, Nichkhun! He was your partner so make sure he gets there.”

Taecyeon called over the other team captains to discuss scores now that a player was removed due to injury, “We should just take out all his scores.”

The table-tennis team was on the bottom with the badminton team so they suggested, “Keep the scores.”

“How can we keep if he can’t do the last two events?” Taecyeon was really trying to remove those horrible and intended scores that were hurting the team greatly at the moment.

“That would mess up the scoring. We can’t do that.”

Taecyeon sighed wondering if another captain would side with him and help out his friend, “Soccer team is right. He can’t perform the last two. How about from now on, Nichkhun and Ryeowook’s scores will not be added in. It is up to the other team member’s average to make up the rest of the scores.”

Taecyeon really wanted to just get rid of the bad scores but this could work too he guessed. All in agreement, the captains agreed and that small issue was settled. Taeyeon heard and the fire was burning inside to use the last two exercises to boost up the team score but it looked bleak since the last two were her worst, the 2 mile run and weight lifting.

Jessica saw the fear in Taeyeon’s eyes, “It will be fine. Don’t take the burden on yourself. You have other teammates.”

Taeyeon looked over to her teammates that were happily joking around like they weren’t in any danger of punishment, “They look carefree.”

Jessica turned to look at the other team, “Huh...are they that confident at not being last?”

“I don’t know. Strange if you ask me.”

 

After the weightlifting event, the badminton team was still behind and Jessica was getting more nervous that her girlfriend’s identity could be exposed, but only she and Taecyeon could cheer the girl up and encourage her to do her best, “Remember, this is what we trained you for. You can do it. This time I will be next to you.”

Taeyeon smiled a bit out of relief when she realized that all the students did the last run together. Maybe with Jessica by her side she could do well.

“Okay students line up.” The teacher said and then blew the whistle to start the runners off.

The cross country team set the pace but were still far ahead of the other students. Jessica saw Taecyeon join the leaders but she stayed behind with Taeyeon to help the girl keep a steady pace, “Just keep up with me okay?”

Taeyeon nodded although she knew Jessica was already at a pace that was faster than they normally did. Jessica probably did that so that her team could get a better time so they are not last. Although Taeyeon felt bad that Jessica would get a lower time since she had to keep the pace with her.

Jessica took an occasional look over to Taeyeon to make sure the girl was breathing right and staying at her side. She must admit that watching her girlfriend running beside her made Jessica feel like she was caught in some sappy movie. They just needed to be running on a beach and the movie setting would be complete since Jessica already saw Taeyeon slightly glowing with a mist of sweat covering her skin. She must admit that her hormones were raging at the sight of her y girlfriend giving it her all. Jessica made the decision at the first mile that she and Taeyeon needed some alone time after this since she wanted to attack the girl right then and there.

“W-we are a-at the h-home stretch...keep it up.”

Taeyeon looked up weakly at Jessica who was signaling that she will sprint the rest but Taeyeon should just keep her pace. was burning so she didn’t utter a word but nodded to tell Jessica that it was okay. She can do the rest herself.

Jessica had a lot of energy since she kept a slower pace so she sprinted with her lighting speed to finish up with a good time. Taecyeon patted Jessica on the back before rooting that Taeyeon could finish. Some of the soccer teammates were patronizing the duo that they didn’t cheer for them but another team, but they didn’t care. They needed Taeyeon to finish with a good time. She was so close, so close to finishing.

 *click* Taeyeon’s time was recorded as she passed the line before she weakly made her way to Jessica and Taecyeon, “Done...”
Jessica hugged the girl that was on the verge of collapse, “You did so well.”

Taecyeon handed the girl some water, “I am surprised Kim. I didn’t think you would have it in you to finish ahead of most of these boys.”

Jessica gave Taecyeon a glare, “Of course, we got into this school despite all the odds.”

Taeyeon smiled a bit knowing she, as a girl, kicked some of the boy’s asses. It did give her an ego boost. If only they knew that they actually got beat by two girls.

 

After the last event, the teachers had the students gather in the gymnasium, “Listen students. For our group, the top team was cross country and last was badminton. In the first group, the top team was kendo but they had a lower score than cross country. The bottom team of that group was archery but they had a higher score than badminton. As of now, cross country is on the road to victory and badminton is to get punishment. However! Remember there are two more groups to go. Anything can change. Dismissed!”
Taeyeon sighed in relief that the physical exam was over but was also on the verge of tears since her team was on the hot seat.

“Kim cheer up! Like the teacher said, anything can happen.”

Taeyeon looked up at Taecyeon, “When will we know for sure?”

“Later tonight I am guessing. I will make sure to get you when the last group finishes.”

Jessica saw how depressed Taeyeon was so she rubbed small circles on Taeyeon’s back, “I know it is painful is to wait, but I believe you did well enough. We just have to hope.”

Taeyeon gave Jessica a weak smile to show her that she was ‘okay,’ “I know...hope.”

 

 

 


Author's Note

Been around a month right? Ah your author is always busy...but if she isn't busy enough, she starts writing new stories (laughs at self for being crazy). I hope you enjoyed!