Changes

I Need You to Survive

“Match point!” The referee yelled out.

Taeyeon stood alone on the badminton court with sweat streaming down her face as thoughts of only one point was what was between her and the finals. She then let the birdie drop so she could hit her serve into the back court. Her opponent leaned back and with the flick of his wrist, he returned the piece of plastic back to her. The exchange of hits seemed to be never ending as Taeyeon was determined to end this match here but her opponent still was trying to hold onto that last thread of hope in winning this match. Yet fate was on Taeyeon’s side as the boy looked down at the white object that fell to his feet, “Game set and match! Shinhwa National High School advances to finals.”

Taeyeon jumped up in excitement and pumped her fist twice before the rush of her teammates came down to congratulate her, “Jiwoong that was amazing! You practically destroyed the poor boy!”

“Yea he was running all of the place cause of you!”

Feeling a tap on her shoulder, Taeyeon looked up to see Nichkhun, “Well done. Aim for first.”

“If you were in this, I am sure we would have been meeting next.”

Nichkhun held a bitter smile, “I am sure.”

“It would be awesome! Four years in a row our team would have gotten first! Keep up the school tradition!”

Taeyeon laughed, “I don’t plan on ruining it!”

Just then the coach came up, “Jiwoong I need to have a word with you.”

Seeing how the coach seemed serious, Taeyeon slipped away from her teammates and followed her coach. The two went out of the gym and into a vacant room, “sit down. I am sure you are tired after the match.”

Taeyeon hesitantly took a seat, “What is it coach?”

“I don’t know how to say this exactly since this is hard on me, but I was approached by the Junior Olympics coach and he was very interested in you. So interested that he offered special training if you win this tournament.”

“What does that mean?”
“It means that you would transfer to his school and train with the club there. Now I would be very sad to lose you from our team but I think you should consider this...the club is where the Olympians are made.”

Taeyeon gulped, “But this is only if I win the tournament right?”

The coach scratched the back of his neck, “I would assume he wants the best only but don’t put too much pressure on yourself over this. If you are to win, do it for yourself.”

“Would I really have to transfer schools though? I like Shinhwa National High School.”

“I am afraid so...his club is 5 hours from us. Anyway I am telling you now since he expects a quick response when the match ends. You have to decide if badminton really is your dream or not and what sacrifices you want to make for it.”

 

Meanwhile, another boy stood opposite of the door listening in with hatred filling his veins, “That was supposed to be mine...”

---------------------------

Taeyeon laid awake that night thinking of possibilities although with the big match tomorrow, she really should be sleeping by now. Yet there were so many responsibilities being thrown at her but these opportunities also looked almost unrealistic, “If only I was a boy...and there was no Jessica...Maybe my dream is changing?”

----------------------------

“You look tired.”

Taeyeon rubbed her eyes as she focused on Minho, “Couldn’t sleep.”

“Nervous? I would be too since these are all the really big matches today!”

Taeyeon nodded as she tried to eat some food, “I am not sure I really want to win...things would be easier if I just lost.”

Minho looked over at Jiwoong in surprise, “What? Are you serious? You want to blow the match?”

Taeyeon sighed, “No...not really...just...ah never mind. I will do my best like always.”

Minho patted Jiwoong on the back, “You got this. Don’t start doubting yourself now.”

Stuffing another spoonful of rice into , Taeyeon knew she wasn’t ready for the ending of the match today, not because she thought she would lose, but because she thought she could win.

----------------------------

The bell chimed and Jessica started collecting her books, “The boys come back tonight...excited to not be alone anymore?”

Jessica smiled at Taecyeon, “Of course! All these boys around is too much.”

Taecyeon laughed, “You make us sound like a disease.”

Jessica giggled, “this school does need more girls.”

Suddenly an arm wrapped around Jessica’s shoulder, “Girls? I agree with Jung! We should get some girls here.”

Jessica wiggled away from Key feeling slightly insulted since she really was a girl...although in disguise.

“What do you say Jung and Taec? Should we go get some girls tonight?”

Jessica already started walking away, “I have plans!”

Key turned to Taecyeon, “I umm also have plans with Jung. Go find some other lonely guys.”

“What do you mean other?! You two are the only other two lonely ones I know!”

 

That night, Jessica tried to thumb through her notes but her eyes were constantly drifting over to the digits on her phone, “Why isn’t she back yet?” Rolling over onto her back, Jessica looked up at the ceiling, “I really miss you...”

“I missed you too...”

Jessica jumped up when she heard a familiar voice, “Tae—ah I mean...how did you sneak in here?”

Taeyeon shrugged at the door, “why did you leave it open?”

Jessica thought about it, “Oh yea...I well did it since I knew you were coming back.”

Taeyeon smiled as she put her bag down so she could open her arms, “So do I get a decent welcome back?”

Jessica grinned happily as she slipped out of bed and into those awaiting arms, “I was so lonely without you.”

Taeyeon smiled as she inhaled her girlfriend’s scent, “Me too...”

“Did you win?” Jessica said slightly muffled as she didn’t want to break from Taeyeon’s warmth.

“Third for doubles.”

Jessica lifted her head in surprise, “Third? Why?”

“Minho got umm sick?”

Jessica looked into those eyes and knew that Taeyeon was lying about something, “Sick?”

“Yea sick...so we had to give up a match and all which made us third.”

“How about singles?”

Taeyeon bit her lip before pushing Jessica away, “Well you see...I won, I got first.”

“Oh my God that is amazing!” Jessica said dancing around but something was off since Taeyeon wasn’t smiling like a dork, “Wait... this is a good thing right?”

“Maybe too many good things?” Taeyeon said as she pulled Jessica to sit by her, “I was asked to transfer schools.”

“What? Why?” Jessica said with anger brewing.

“It would be to be trained by the Olympic coach...”

“Taeyeon how could you possibly pass for a boy there? I mean if you were caught...like really caught by the coach himself, wouldn’t you and your brother be in huge trouble?”

“Well that is why I said no, but the coach was persistent. He is trying everything to get me over there.”

“Just say no. We both know it is too risky...God what we are doing here is risky enough! Not to mention...we would have to...”
“NO! I won’t break up even if we are apart.” Taeyeon said as she reached out to hold Jessica’s hand, “I won’t go. No matter what he offers. I won’t.”

Jessica smiled, “You really chose this for me?”

Taeyeon laughed, “Yes and I  also figured I can’t be making the path for my brother either. If he wants to make badminton his career or not, he would have to make that team on his own...Jessica at the end of the semester, I am going to enter the trials for the woman’s team.”

“So you really are leaving after this semester,” Jessica said sadly.

“You knew this before...I have my school too. Tiffany has been amazing and has covered me but you knew it was a one semester deal.”

“I tried to forget.”

Taeyeon sighed as she gathered Jessica into her arms, “I don’t want to forget...we will make some more memories together before things have to return to normal. I will return to my school and well you...maybe have to return to America?”

Jessica looked up at Taeyeon, “no way. I won’t go back there unless you are coming with me!”

Taeyeon laughed before the girl’s hair, “How about we forget those things now. I want to live in the moment...right now the moment of holding you in my arms.”

Jessica blushed hearing the sweet words of her girlfriend, “Mmm I like the moments I get to be in your arms.”

Taeyeon smiled as she placed a kiss on Jessica’s head, “Jessica I...”

*Buzz buzz buzz*

Taeyeon was interrupted by her phone, “I should get that...might be the coach.” Jessica let go of Taeyeon so she could retrieve her phone, “Hello? What the hell Jiwoong! Where are you?”

Jessica looked Taeyeon in surprise, “Your brother?”

Taeyeon looked down at the number on her phone which said the location, “You are in America!”

 

 

 


Author's Note

*strolling around and giving random updates* Enjoy!