In My Hands

I Need You to Survive

Taeyeon woke up and threw the covers off which made Jessica look over to the bed and rush over, “Jiwoong you okay?”

Taeyeon looked over to Jesse, “What is going on? Practice...why didn’t you wake me for practice?”

Jessica sighed when she heard the person concerned about practice only and not what happened earlier. Slowly Jessica got up from Jiwoong’s bedside and opened the curtains, “Everything is cancelled today cause of this.”

Taeyeon carefully made her way over to the window and looked out, “Wow...did I really sleep through this?”

“You were out but not necessarily quiet...” Jessica encompassed the other person’s hand and looked him in the eyes, “Jiwoong...did you want to tell me what happened earlier? You know everything that happened yesterday scared me.”

Taeyeon led her lover over to one of the chairs in the room while she sat in another across from him, “Nichkhun...I can’t stop thinking about it. I never felt so powerless in my life. I mean it is like life became so uncertain.”

Jessica was listening to her lover but all the words made her heart sink. She didn’t know the whole incident with Nichkhun was still bothering him. Carefully she put her hand on Jiwoong and started rubbing it, “You know, you are not powerless and even if you feel that way, you can always come to me for strength.”

Taeyeon smiled weakly knowing that Jesse would be there for her but there were so many concerns. Like the fact that Jesse was always on the soccer field while she was alone with Nichkhun in the gymnasium. Also the fact that Taeyeon was still lying to Jesse about her gender. How can she be sure that Jesse wouldn’t just abandon her when he finds out that their relationship is full of lies other than she has strong feelings for him.

While Jiwoong was being quiet, Jessica was busy trying to figure out the thoughts that must be running around in his head. She could still see that although she tried to reassure him, he was still bothered by something. In fact, this made her feel powerless too. Powerless in her ability to sooth the person she liked. It was a horrible feeling.

*Huge roar of thunder*

Taeyeon jumped before going into her roommate’s arms while the lights shut off, “Did the power go out?”

Jessica was smiling with Jiwoong acting like a child who was afraid of the dark, “I have a flashlight. I should go get it.” Taeyeon was reluctant to let go of Jesse, “Umm did you want to come with me? You are holding on pretty tight.” Taeyeon continued to hold Jesse’s arm tightly while she just nodded.

Like a koala, Taeyeon remained tightly locked to Jesse as the two made it about the room looking for a flashlight. Once the device was found, the two went to sit on Taeyeon’s bed since there was nothing they could do otherwise. The two were laughing at the strange noises that were coming from the hallway as the other boys were turning crazy in the darkness. “Should we go out and join them?”

Taeyeon who was still very afraid of the dark cuddled closer to Jesse and shook her head, “They sound dangerous.” Suddenly a huge knock came on their door. Both remained silent until the knocking subsided, “The guys turn into beasts without power it seems.”

Jessica laughed at Jiwoong’s comment, “Should I be scared of you then?”

“But I am not...I mean it is up to you. You are next to me at your own risk.”

“Even if I wanted to, you have a strong death grip on me.” The two laughed before returning to a comfortable silence again. The darkness and storm outside didn’t seem to bother them the rest of the night as they spent it in each other’s arms.

 

 

“Kim!” Taeyeon looked to see her coach approaching her, “Kim what is up with you?”

Taeyeon looked down as she was getting reprimanded, “Sorry coach.”

“You know I scouted you because of your skills and abilities but what is this? I can’t do anything with you if you play this way!” All Taeyeon could do was apologize profusely for her poor performance but her coach continued to yell at her, “You know what, why don’t you take a break. I can’t have you play with the team like this.”

“What! Wait I can do better!”

“Jiwoong look, we are facing a big tournament soon as the season starts and we can’t have distractions. If something is bothering you I need you to take care of it or quit the team. You are not off the team but I want you to take a week off and think about whatever is bothering you. If you come back stronger, I will consider you for the tournament but if you continue to perform like this, I have no other choice but to cut you from the team.”

“What happens if I get cut? I am here on scholarship...”

“I think you know. You might have to drop from school so take this time seriously.”

“What am I supposed to do? I mean school doesn’t start for another 2 weeks.”

“How about you go home. Just take some time to get your head together. I really don’t like cutting people but right now, you are useless to the strength of our team.”

Taeyeon nodded and headed off the courts. She packed her stuff and decided to head back to the dorms. It was obvious to her why her performance plummeted but he was always there. Her problem was always present so how was she to overcome something she couldn’t hide from?

As Taeyeon was walking back to the dorm she made a phone call, “Umma? I am doing fine. I am just calling to say I have a week break so I am coming home. No nothing serious is going on, just a break so I can come home. Okay see you soon.” By the time her phone call ended, Taeyeon was standing outside the dorm, “How am I supposed to tell Jesse?”

“Tell me what?” Taeyeon had a mini heart attack as she heard Jesse’s voice.

“No..thing...well it is something.”

Jessica unlocked the door, “How about we talk about it inside?”

Taeyeon looked at Jesse who was sitting across from her now, “Umm I am going home.”

Jessica stood up in shock, “What! Home? Why?”

“No reason...ah well coach wants me to take a break.”

“Break? What you are you not telling me? No coach would have you take a break right before season starts.”

Taeyeon gulped knowing Jesse would catch on sooner or later, “My performance has been bad so I..”

“You got cut!”

“What? No. Just a break to get on track again. Not cut.”

“Still sounds suspicious...”

Taeyeon got up and cupped Jesse’s face while caressing her thumb on his cheek, “Don’t worry. I will be back I promise. Taeyeon leaned down and gave Jesse a slow but caring kiss on his lips, “I promise.”

 

----------------------------

 

Six days later, Jessica sat looking at Taecyeon as he was giving a speech, “Just focus and let our practice show! We can do this!” All the boys stood up as their hands joined, “FIGHTING!”

Jessica jogged out onto the field where she saw many of the students came to watch the practice match her team was having against each other. It was an important match since cuts were going to be made after today and she was prepared. It was going to be intense and tougher since it was with all boys this time but she was ready. Before the match started, Jessica quickly scanned the crowd looking for a particular student but her face turned into a frown as she didn’t see the person she was looking for. “Jung!” Jessica turned and saw Taecyeon urging her to go onto the field since she was a starter.

Jessica looked up and saw Yoochun in front of her, “You ready Jung?”

Jessica gave a bitter smile, “I should be asking you that!”

“I hope you are ready because I am leading my team.”

“Yea well you should be scared with me as your opponent today!” Jessica and Yoochun laughed as their “trash-talking” ended even though they were doing it more as a joke.

The crowd cheered as the game started. Taecyeon’s team won the coin toss so they slowly took the ball downfield. Yoochun quickly stole the ball from one of the newer players but getting past the defense proved tough and Taecyeon’s team got the ball back quickly. Jessica received a pass and forged towards the goal. Seeing a teammate open she passed but the player didn’t want to progress with the ball so he passed it back. Jessica sighed when her teammate didn’t take the initiative so she skillfully passed two defenders and shot for a goal. The goalie blocked but Taecyeon quickly kicked the ball in again for a goal. First goal went to Jessica’s team early on which gave her a huge confidence boost.

The referee blew the whistle to end the half at 2-0 which let Taecyeon and his team to go into the locker room full of excitement, “Great job! Keep it up!” Taecyeon continued his speech before going into coach mode and shelling out the strategy for the second half. As the half-time was coming to a close, the players went back to the field. Jessica walked out all smiles as her team was winning but as she walked towards the field, a conversation another student was having made her stop, “So Kim won’t come back?”

“That is what I hear. He is out.”

Jessica turned to the people that were talking, “Kim? Which Kim?”

“Jiwoong. Rumor says the team voted him out due to his absence.”

Jessica turned and ran away from the field, “Jung!” Jessica stopped and heard Taecyeon coming towards her, “Jung where are you going? We still have another half.”

“I have to go. Something came up.”

“Seriously? What could be more important than this? If you run away now, you could be ruining the whole reason you came here. You are willing to throw this away?”

Jessica thought about it. She was risking of being thrown off the team. “I found something more important,” Jessica said with confidence before leaving the field as Taecyeon watched Jessica disappear.

 

 


Author's Note

Hello readers! I am really slow with the updates so I appologize but I hope you like the progress! Please leave comments!