Change

I Need You to Survive

(Taeyeon’s POV)

 

Leaving Jesse for a week was going to be hard but if I lost Jiwoong’s scholarship, then mom and dad would be furious. Also they might find out that I was not working for Tiffany’s dad but instead impersonating Jiwoong while he goes off and follows his ‘dreams.’ This was a dangerous game that Jiwoong and I have been playing but now that I was in this deep, I was not willing to let the incident with Nichkhun destroy my future. I know I needed to get over these fears but I am not sure if a week break away from my problems would fix everything. Despite all these doubts and fears, I was still going home with the help of Tiffany so my parent’s didn’t find out my secrets.

“My baby!” I was soon engulfed in a warm hug from my mother. The arms were much warmer than I remembered. I wasn’t gone for long...was I?

I reciprocated the loving embrace, “I missed you too...”

“Come in. I made lunch for you already with your favorite dessert. Your father will be home later.” I smiled happily as I took in the warmth of my home.

“Sis!” Another body collided with mine.

“Haeyeon!” I picked up my little sister and swung her around before putting her down, “you are getting bigger.”

“Not that much bigger.”

“Well you look bigger to me now.” I ruffled my sister’s hair a bit before heading upstairs and putting my duffle bag on my bed.

I went back downstairs and saw my family in the kitchen eyeing out the food before my mom rushed us out so we could eat at the table. It was nice being home but the inevitable question by my mother had to come up, “So how is work going?”

Time to use my acting skills, “Well you know Tiffany’s father, he treats me well.”

“Ah that is right you are working with Mr. Hwang. I should go see him more often...”

“I don’t think that is a good idea...I mean he is a busy man.”

“But still he is a family friend.”

I could see my mother was determined so I had to initiate plan B: distraction, “Mother can you pass the potatoes?”

“Oh sure dear. By the way, have you heard from Jiwoong? The boy won’t answer his cell.” Okay distraction failed...

“Umm not really. Maybe he is too busy with practice to answer?”

“That could be.” Luckily my mother ended the interrogation of me and my brother which made my lunch much more enjoyable. I was afraid all this talk would give me indigestion.

Although I loved my family, I decided to ditch them and ask Tiffany out so we could talk about my real problems.

 

Tiffany picked me up and we headed to her house which wasn’t a bad idea since her parents were busy at work while my mother was always at home, “You know it is weird seeing you without your boyish clothes now.”

I went to sit on Tiffany’s bed, “I kind of miss them already. Boy clothes are so comfortable.”

Tiffany laughed, “So what brings you home exactly? You were pretty vague and demanding on the phone. Not to mention dead quiet in the car earlier.”

I let out a heavy sigh thinking of how to approach all my problems in a short amount of time, “Having trouble with practice so I was sent home temporarily.”

“You never have problems. Did something really happen in a span of 2 weeks?”

Humm yea lots happened. I am dating and almost ...yep. “Things happened and it is distracting me these days.”

“Care to talk to me about it?”

“I feel like if I talk about it, more people will get hurt and not just me.” I went to reach for a pillow and hug it while Tiffany stared at me with her caring eyes.

“You know you shouldn’t bear the weight alone. You can’t keep it all to yourself while others watch you self-destruct. I mean you are hurting the people you care about doing everything on your own when you are not alone.”

“I guess.”

“Why do you want to hide it from me TaeTae? What makes you think your best friend can’t handle all your short comings?”

It was a good question. I want to tell her but she liked Nichkhun before, I don’t want her image of him, but that doesn’t sound right either. I should be telling her to stay away. He can be forceful and dangerous at times. Also what about Jesse? Is  that something she should know too? Well one step at a time right? “Well you see Tiffany...we went to practice at the beach and something happened...”

 

----------------------

 

Day two at home...well I am pretty bored and kind of lonely. I wonder how Jesse is doing? Ah wait he might be busy with practice right now with the big match coming up. Tired of tossing and turning in my bed, I decide I should go out for some fresh air and see what the world outside the school walls look like.

After sending a quick message to my mother, I decided to go around town and see some of the folks. Where I lived was pretty small so everyone knew each other. Also there was a big fishing industry as we lived near water so most of the people were outside doing work which made it easier to mingle than those who were always locked in their homes. “Taeyeon dear!”

I looked to my left seeing an older woman approaching me, “Granny!” I was soon in another hug...ah all the hugs I received here.

“Is it really you Taeyeon? Where have you been these days?”

“School....a school farther away.”
“Ah you were always such a good child.” Well she doesn’t have to know all the bad things I have been up to right?

“Granny how is the store?”

The grandmother ushered me inside the small convenience store, “Always the same here. Nothing changes much and that is how I like it at my age.”

The granny handed me an ice cream, “Oreo is still your favorite flavor right?”

I smiled happily taking the ice cream, “You are right, some things never change.” After chatting with the granny and eating my ice cream I decided to head back home.

Being home is always fun and my family decided to compete for my attention but mother settled everything and we made tonight a game night. I guess some things never do change...

 

-------------------------

 

On day three, Tiffany called me out again, but I guess this is to be expected now that I live so close to her. “Where are we going?”

“You will know when we are closer.” I continued to look out the window but my eyes widened as we approached a familiar location.

I excitedly hopped out of the car, “Come on come on! You are so slow!”

Tiffany laughed, “Once a child, always a child TaeTae.”

Not waiting for my friend, I went in line to get tickets. We were at the town carnival. I couldn’t believe I almost forgot that this was the week our town was holding the carnival. Back in the day, Tiffany and I would try to make all 7 days of the carnival but we could only make it to 3 or 4 until our money ran out. I wonder if Jesse likes carnivals...

“TaeTae look! I bet I can beat you in that!”

I looked to where Tiffany was pointing and gave her a sly smile, “Challenge accepted!”

We ran over to the carnival games and I held the gun in my hands. Soon the buzzer sounded and the water came spraying out of our water guns. I saw the minion go up at lighting speed thinking I won but then everything stopped and Tiffany’s alarm rang, “In your face!”

I gave her a pout, “Best two out of three?”

Tiffany ruffled my hair, “Fine but if I win, you have to buy me funnel cake.”

“If I win then you have to buy me two funnel cakes!”

Two more rounds were played and I won so we headed over to eat sweets until our stomachs were full. I really can’t remember the last time I just went out and had a fun night like this, but all fun ends when the carnival closes. Yet the night was fun. Being with my best friend always is fun...I guess some things never change.

 

----------------------

 

Day four and five were the worst. Tiffany stood across from me with a stack of papers, “Finish these.”

“Did you take me out for fun knowing I would be doing this today?”

“You know what they say, those who play hard have to work hard.”

I sighed as I looked at the papers, “Just these?”

“It will get worse as the school year progresses. I will send you envelopes throughout the school year but since you are here now, you can do the stuff you missed all at once!”

Yes day four and five were spent doing homework for my school and some paperwork for my job-study. Jiwoong owes me!

 

------------------------

 

Day six I sat across from my mother for breakfast while she drank her coffee and I had a warm cup of milk, “Taeyeon I like having you home but when do you plan on going back to the dorm for your internship thing?”

I thought about it hard, “I am thinking tomorrow morning. I will talk to Tiffany about it.”

My mother gave me a warm smile, “I could drop you off if you would like.”

“Umm no offense mother but Tiffany has to see her father too so it is convenient if she takes me.” I saw the disappointment in my mother’s face but I had to swallow the guilt due to the fact that she couldn’t know where I really needed to go. “Mom did you want to do something today, just the two of us?”

“A mother-daughter date?”

I smiled happily, “Of course.”

My mother and I readied ourselves to go out and spend quality time together. It was just a normal day with going to the movies, playing mini-golf and ending our time near the docks.

I was dangling my feet over the edge as I looked into the water, “I remember taking you and Jiwoong here a lot before your sister was born.”
I smiled thinking of memories with my brother, “I miss those times.”

“I miss having all my babies home. With you and Jiwoong doing your own things, the house is so quiet.”

“You still have Haeyeon.”

“Yes but without a sister or brother to fight with, the house is still quiet. She is also getting to the age where she is discovering new things she likes.”

“Oh? What has Haeyeon found interest in? Boys?”

My mother laughed, “I think she is still too young for boys.”

“Badminton?”

“I am afraid she doesn’t have the same interests as you and your brother. Actually do you remember when you hated the sport?”

I thought back to when I was younger, “I thought I always liked it. I remember playing with Jiwoong all the time.”

“I think you forgot how you used to cry every time we wanted to play saying the racquet was too heavy and you were too small.”

“Did I?”

“Yes my baby also acted like a baby when she was younger.” My mother laughed at me before continuing the story, “You really idolized your brother. Once he showed interest, you started following him like a puppy. If he picked up a racquet, I would find a racquet in your hand. You were a mini Jiwoong for the longest time.” I leaned back and thought how I did spend most of my time with Jiwoong. “Taeyeon why did you continue badminton as you got older? I mean Jiwoong moved on with his own team and you decided to join the girls team.”

“I never thought about it. Maybe because I was good at it?”

“What about now? Do you still play now that Jiwoong isn’t around?”

“I dabble a bit. He was my perfect partner while playing. He knew all my flaws and would help me overcome them. Sometimes when I play now it is hard without him by my side.”

“Are you sure he left?”

I stopped looking into the water and faced my mother, “What do you mean?”

“When you and Jiwoong left, I thought I lost my children but then I realized you never left my heart. I think if your heart is in the game, your brother is always with you. Watching you and making sure you do your best no matter what choices you make.”

I laughed nervously. It sounds like my mother knows I have been playing badminton more than just a little these days, “Why are you bringing this all up?”

My mother handed me a flyer, “Don’t give up something you love.”

I read the flyer and it was a notice for a national girls badminton tournament one that could place me on the Korean National Badminton Team, “Mom...I don’t think I am good enough for this.”

“Taeyeon you should always dream big. I think you can do it. Even if you don’t have your brother to cheer for you or coach you, I think this is something you can do. You should give this some serious thought and dedicate yourself into doing something that makes you happy.”

I leaned over and gave my mom a hug, “You don’t know how many ways you make me happy.”

It was then that I figured out what my life goals would be because it was then that I realized, some things will never change unless it was me who wanted to change for the better.

 

----------------------

 

It was now officially a week later so Tiffany helped me go back to school. I was going back changed and with a new perspective on my goals in life. “Go get them tiger.”

I smiled back at Tiffany, “I will do my best.”

I watched as Tiffany left before making my way to the dorm. It was empty which reminded me that Jesse had a big game today. Throwing my bag on the bed I rushed towards the soccer field but I ran into Nichkhun on the way, “Hey buddy! You are back?”

I looked the man in the eyes, “Nichkhun you are my new target!”

He looked stunned, “What?”

“I will beat you by the end of the year. I will make sure my skills are sharper and defeat you. You have my word on that.”

Nichkhun gave a joyful laugh, “Maybe coach was right to give you a break. It seems like you still belong on our team with that attitude, but you will still have to work hard. Your first goal should be to make the tournament team for this weekend.”

“Then my revenge shall wait!” I ran off while I heard the boy laughing at me.

Almost at the field, I ran into a body, “I am sorry...I...I...Jiwoong?”

I smiled instantly seeing a familiar face before engulfing the person in a warm embrace, “I missed you so much!” I took in as much warmth as I could.

“What...what are you doing here?”

“I am back of course!” I gave Jesse a pout, “what you don’t want me back?”

“No! No not that! I just heard you weren’t coming back.”

“What? I said one week I would be back.”

“But some kids were saying you got kicked out!”

I started laughing, “Did you miss me that much that you started believing in silly rumors? I just talked to Nichkhun and I am still on the team.”

Jesse quickly engulfed me in a hug, “I am so glad you are going to still be here.”

“Me too...by the way, did your game end?”

The hug was quickly released, “I have to go back!”

I laughed as the calm and cool Jesse was in panic mode, “Why don’t you go on a head, I will be in the stands watching.”

Jesse gave me a quick peck on the cheek before running off. I smiled as my cheeks started burning from the affection I missed. I missed my happiness while I was at home...

 

 


Author's Note

Hehe I wrote a long chapter ^^ Enjoy!

If you don't like waiting for my updates then check out my other on-going stories. That is usually why there is longer waits. 

Comment, Upvote and Subscribe!