Don't break the promise made

Catch That Thief

Upon reaching the hospital, Kevin sprinted to the ward with Dongho following closely behind.

After seeing his mother on the hospital bed with an oxygen mask and various tubes connected to her, Kevin burst out sobbing. "Mum..."

A frail and weak hand caressed his cheek, "Darling, I'm fine." She said breathlessly, then looked at Dongho, who was at the other side of the bed. "Dongho sweetie."

Dongho only gave a small smile, clutching tightly onto his mother's arm while holding back his tears. Kibum stood at the end of the room, leaning against the wall.

"Your mother's Con Heart Defect has gotten worse. We may have repaired the hole in her heart this time but there won't be a next time. Her condition has deteriorated so much, it's beyond surgical help."

Kevin recalled what the doctor had said years back. Kevin always thought that his mother's condition had improved over the years. So he felt that he didn't have to stay by his mother's side anymore, since his mother did had another family to take care of her (she remarried after her husband, their father passed away). How foolish did Kevin feel when he saw his limp mother lying on the bed, barely even breathing. Tears streamed down his cheeks despite willing against it.

"I know I don't have much time left," Kevin's mother said in an almost inaudible whisper. "I'm glad two are here with me."

"Nonsense..." Kevin struggled to form words, "You still have a long way to go."

She shook her head weakly, "I know it, Kevin. Right now, I just want you two to be happy. Dongho, you have stop being so strong-headed. Listen to your brother, don't get into trouble and study hard. You are a smart kid, but you are too lazy."

Dongho nodded forcefully as he bit his bottom lip, not wanting to cry out. He then planted a small kiss on his mother's hand.

"Kevin, you dropped out of school but that's alright, I know you'll be fine. Stay strong, darling. I know you want to be independent, but sometimes you need to have someone to lean on. Don't force everything on yourself, I know you have been doing that. You act tough so you don't get hurt, but someday, you have to break down those walls and let someone build a bridge over it." She managed to complete her words, albeit the many pauses in between.

Kevin could only cry harder at her words, muffed sobs projecting from the shaking body. His mother then diverted her gaze to the figure standing at the far end. "That is...? Your boyfriend?"

Kibum immediately came over and gave her a bow. "I'm Kibum, Kevin's boyfriend, nice to meet you Mrs Lee."

Kevin looked up at him while Kibum smiled and held Kevin's hand. "I promise I'd take good care of Kevin. I wouldn't hurt him or let anyone else do so. Believe me when I say I'll do anything to protect him." He assured sincerely. Understanding that Kibum was trying to make Kevin's mum feel better, Kevin simply kept quiet despite the many thoughts forming in his mind.

Kevin's mother smiled and looked at Kevin, "You got yourself someone nice. I can leave in peace."

Kevin shook his head furiously, "Don't say that..."

A loud cry stirred Kibum awake from his sleep. Sitting up wearily from the couch opposite the hospital bed, he allowed himself to adjust to the brightness of the ward.

A monotonous and sharp beep made him realize what the cry was about.

Making his way across the room, he noticed Kevin trembling vigorously with his hands covering his face. Even so, Kibum saw the tear stains evident at the sides and the dark patches on his shirt. Dongho appeared much calmer than Kevin however, though tears ran down his face as he pressed his lips together.

Kibum slowly walked beside Kevin and squatted down beside him. Awkwardly, he wrapped his hands loosely around the shaking figure and patted his back gently. Kevin glanced at him for a brief moment before sinking his head back into his hands and leaning his weight on Kibum. Kevin's loud sobs only sounded more prominent in the dead silent ward. Kibum thought he felt an almost unnoticeable part of his heart disintegrating.

Dongho excused himself, dragging himself out of the ward. He wouldn't want to stay here any longer to wallow in sadness. If he had to cry, he'd do it somewhere else.

Looking up at the unmoving body on the bed, Kibum mouthed, "Rest in peace."

"I'll take care of your son. I'm not just saying it, I'm putting it into actions."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------


The way back to Seoul was awfully quiet. Dongho curled up into a ball at the backseat and rested his head on his knees while Kevin stared blankly at the view outside. Kevin's eyes were red and swollen from all the crying and Dongho looked so fragile, as though a feather touch would shatter him.

After their mother passed on, her new family came immediately to settle all the procedures. Kibum could tell they weren't on friendly terms from the slightly hostile and cold voice her husband (Kibum assumed) used on Kevin. He simply told Kevin he'd take care of the burial and Kevin and Dongho could leave. Kibum expected Kevin to say something, but he only gave a small, weak nod and left.

The silence was finally broken after an hour of deafening silence, when Kevin said softly, "Can I ask you something?"

"Mm." Kibum hummed.

"What do you work as exactly?"

Kibum smiled, "That shouldn't be your concern right now."

Kevin didn't reply.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Nope, exams aren't over yet but I'm just gonna update.

Disclaimer: I don't really know much about Con Heart Defect so it may(most probably) contain inaccuracies.